MXGP of Russia - June 8-9

ayearinmx
6/8/2019 2:50am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
This was posted an hour ago. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/08/353056/s1200_61787116_441474830038590_3845547542967006136_n.jpg[/img]
This was posted an hour ago.

It most definitely isn't like that now...... it's blazing sunshine and about 30C

it is humid though and there were threats of a storm yesterday, and i believe they will continue over the weekend. Hard to tell though
6/8/2019 2:50am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
This was posted an hour ago. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/08/353056/s1200_61787116_441474830038590_3845547542967006136_n.jpg[/img]

Not again Sad

The Shop

2F4A
6/8/2019 4:15am
Henri Jacobi looking strong again. Can't wait till van de Moosdijk gets a chance in the MX2 class. That pretty new team J&H is doing a great job.
Bearuno
6/8/2019 5:26am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 5:46am
The 2t gate looks patethic.
The entry level is, sadly, to be expected, when it's a class that is basically, a Privateer / Tiny Team one.

Pathetic - No - not when it comes to the Riders who've made the effort top get there - same for the EMX250 class. Hell, same for the MXGP and MX2 participants.

As a European, you'd know how difficult and expensive it is to get to and around Russia. I've been to Russia a few times, and it's not easy to get around. Hell, if the Luongos got a backer to have a Russian MXGP to the very East of Russia, they'd have it there, with no thoughts to the expense and difficulty it would present to all participants..

Looks like Kovar may have hurt himself - if so, it's a Huge bummer. He's been mightily impressive on the Gas Gas, for a couple of seasons now.
ATKpilot99
6/8/2019 5:32am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 5:33am
Bearuno wrote:
The entry level is, sadly, to be expected, when it's a class that is basically, a Privateer / Tiny Team one. Pathetic - No - not...
The entry level is, sadly, to be expected, when it's a class that is basically, a Privateer / Tiny Team one.

Pathetic - No - not when it comes to the Riders who've made the effort top get there - same for the EMX250 class. Hell, same for the MXGP and MX2 participants.

As a European, you'd know how difficult and expensive it is to get to and around Russia. I've been to Russia a few times, and it's not easy to get around. Hell, if the Luongos got a backer to have a Russian MXGP to the very East of Russia, they'd have it there, with no thoughts to the expense and difficulty it would present to all participants..

Looks like Kovar may have hurt himself - if so, it's a Huge bummer. He's been mightily impressive on the Gas Gas, for a couple of seasons now.
Is the difficulty mostly due to the distance traveled or passport issues border crossing and such ?
6/8/2019 6:02am
Bearuno wrote:
The entry level is, sadly, to be expected, when it's a class that is basically, a Privateer / Tiny Team one. Pathetic - No - not...

According to Kovar’s instagram post, he twisted his right ankle again. Fortunately, nothing is broken.
6/8/2019 6:09am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 6:13am
Bearuno wrote:

I’m definitely not taking anything away from the riders that made it, huge kudos to them. And I’m not blaming anyone for not making the trip. I know Luongo would take the races anywhere in the world as long as someone fills his own pockets. But 11 guys lining up for a EMX race looks patethic no matter what.

EDIT. Forgot to mention that I think they should treat this race as a fly away with only MXGP and MX2 racing. Would get an extra few riders on the line for MX2 atleast with guys from EMX250 that ride for teams that will make the trip anyway, like Moosdijk and Hofer.
ayearinmx
6/8/2019 6:15am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 6:21am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Is the difficulty mostly due to the distance traveled or passport issues border crossing and such ?
It's a pain in the arse to get a visa for Russia (as a Brit).... i have to go to London to get fingerprints done at a Russian embassy and it costs decent chunk of change too

it is also 2 flights from anywhere in Europe (i don't think anywhere has flights to Krasnodar direct except Turkey) and that means more chance of lost/misplaced luggage

however with all that said.... once landed, its actually a pretty easy and cheap GP. Hotels are cheap, food and drink are cheap and the area is really quite nice. Right on the coast of the Black Sea with sandy beaches etc. It's also just 2hrs from the airport along 2 roads so that's easy too.

And the track is pretty damn awesome
Bearuno
6/8/2019 6:17am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
It's 'everything', in my experience. Though, I can't imagine what it was like before '89 (I think), when Russia 'opened up'.

Std World maps don't give a real picture of distances. They are, massive. And, Russia is a massive country, with, relatively few people. Like Australia in that respect, but far bigger, with a hell of a lot more 'problems' in getting around.

I've been there for work / business, and Bike Holidays. I've enjoyed myself immensely there, but, I enjoy any and all travel I do. It keeps me poor........

But, you've got to be flexible, resilient, and keep your cool. A big, dopey smile and having a very few words of the local lingo goes a long way. Most people are good people, but in former totalitarian (and one that seems to be going back towards that) states - well, everywhere - you need to go with the flow, and not be a dick back to those that are being a dick to you. Because, you'll lose, every bloody time, if you get fractious.........

Just keep in mind, how some teams / riders didn't go to the Canadian SXs, a few times. Just across the border (in comparison to slogging through Europe , then Russia) to a country not much different to the US - Cannucks might be peeved with that description Woohoo ...... sorry! The expense / intricacies of that, are as nothing, compared to getting to a race in Russia.

AyearinMX would be an expert in it all, that's for sure. Quite the Racing Traveler, he is.
6/8/2019 7:56am
And Cairoli down hard at the same place where Herlings slipped. Hopefully nothing more than the wind knocked out.
hamncheeze
6/8/2019 7:59am
Not the best crash footage but that was a hard one for Tony. Hope he's OK for tomorrow.

I feel like this track could really bite Gajser if he overrides it.
6/8/2019 8:02am
hamncheeze wrote:
Not the best crash footage but that was a hard one for Tony. Hope he's OK for tomorrow. I feel like this track could really bite...
Not the best crash footage but that was a hard one for Tony. Hope he's OK for tomorrow.

I was just thinking the same thing when he went after Paulin coming over the waves. This track will bite you hard when you try to push it.
cbuehler767
6/8/2019 8:32am
DC wrote:
DeStouwer, wondering if Jeffrey will wear #84 or #1? I know it's mandatory now in the U.S. for defending champions but not sure about MXGP? DC...
DeStouwer, wondering if Jeffrey will wear #84 or #1? I know it's mandatory now in the U.S. for defending champions but not sure about MXGP?

DC
Racer X
Bidirella wrote:
They can choose if they run the #1 plate or there own number. JH always rode with 84 except that GH round when he wrapped it...
They can choose if they run the #1 plate or there own number.

JH always rode with 84 except that GH round when he wrapped it up the week before.

Tony also rode always with 222

Prado won the title last year to and is with 61.

The last few champs who rode the big #1 where Jonass last year and Tixier a few years before that.

I like the number idea of the US more, defend youre title with the big #1 plate..
DC wrote:
Thanks, I like the idea of #1 too, but I did get used to seeing RC as #4, Reed as #22, etc. And Jeffrey's #84 and...
Thanks, I like the idea of #1 too, but I did get used to seeing RC as #4, Reed as #22, etc. And Jeffrey's #84 and Antonio's #222 are now just as familiar...

DC
Racer X
DC love the rule about running the #1. Having the #1 is just badass like I'm the best. Lets the fans know who the champ is too. I get the career number thing with branding but when I was a kid it was like hey there's #1
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/8/2019 10:59am
Watson crash. He said he's a bit banged up but should be ok for tomorrow.

jeffro503
6/8/2019 11:19am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

That picture is amazing! Saving as a wallpaper on my screen.

This track is a sketchy one today. Just watched the qualifyer's and with Watson , Monticelli , AC , Herlings , Lupino , ect.....track took it's toll on the rider's. Watson's wreck was just brutal as hell. Glad he's ok after that. Pretty scary losing your front end at about 4th gear tapped up the face of a big jump.
byke
6/8/2019 11:20am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 11:21am
Ouch! That line was no good for any amount of lean at speed.
Question
6/8/2019 11:30am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 11:33am
hamncheeze wrote:
Not the best crash footage but that was a hard one for Tony. Hope he's OK for tomorrow. I feel like this track could really bite...

It is indeed a track to be smooth on it, and a crash can be bad because it is a fast one.

But overall I really like this venue, probably my favorite in both series, because it is what motocross really is, and what it was until a few years ago. Then everybody started to prep the track too much around 2005-2010. In the south of france, almost every tracks were looking like that on race day, slick blue grove with way too much water on some parts, and the rest of the year it was dusty and rough because the tractor would come twice a year. I think in California it was the same, just looking at some old videos of Carlsbad for instance. It is not really the same sport to have huge jumps and pin it between 2 corners where you have 3 lines to choose from. Less prep is good, plus it is more economical.

Post a reply to: MXGP of Russia - June 8-9

The Latest