Make Motocross great via Social Media

First of all: Hello to everyone and yes, it is my first post (I was reading in the forum for a long time).

We all know that our sport isn't the most popular all around the world (Exceptions prove the rule). So this is a very large forum and nearly everyone has a social media channel or different channels on different social media sites. So I was thinking about starting a campaign together. We need one hashtag that everyone uses additionally to his normal hashtags to make our hashtag (maybe #makemotocrossgreat or makemotocrosstrend) popular and maybe trending at some platforms. What are you guys thinking about such a campaign? I think we are able to trend on platforms like Instagram and Tiktok and promote the sport on this way.
Poll

Shall we start a "hashtag campaign" to promote our sport?

Choices
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/5/2020 11:24pm
I generally run all these in my insta posts. (It changes to promotocross in the summer instead of supercrosslive 📸© @VitalMX and @Guybmoto. @supercrosslive #motocross #supercross #dirtbike #vitalmx
Mossy
2/6/2020 4:53am
How would this help introduce people to the sport? For someone to find content using hashtags, they would either 1. Have to search the hashtag or 2. Watch relatable content already.

If someone does 1 of those 2 things, then they already know about the sport. Have you not seen the popular Mx influencers we already have in instagram?

Is a picture of me on my RMZ 450 going to influence more people than Axell throwing a ridiculous whip, or Buttery doing his typical stuff, or Twitch chillin at the track? No, it’s not.

We don’t need to beg people to get into the sport. People will either get into it, or they won’t. If you have a buddy that has never tried, or have a kid with some friends who would like to try, your best way of introducing people to the sport is having a buddy bike and letting them ride it and see what they think.

My 2 cents on this.
ferg722
2/6/2020 5:43am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2020 5:45am
The sport doesn't need an artificial push or beg for attention.
Conforming to what everyone else likes will diminish the sport making it no longer what it's truly about..

You want to grow moto? 

Support your local dealers - build a rapport and spend that extra dollar or two on a quart of oil or whatever it is they have on the floor.. Looking for that OEM part or something you assume they should have in stock but they don't? Don't pout and kick - ask them to order it and suggest they expand their inventory carrying that part or accessory. Also, when buying a bike - be a savory customer.. dealers can't survive on "what's your best otd price because I'm calling every dealer in a 100 mile radius for the best deal" Actually visit the dealer and give them a chance to earn your business with their knowledge of the product and what they have to offer you. 

Support your local tracks - Hit up the local races and enjoy a weekend banging some bars and becoming one with the moto community. Don't race? nbd! being a spectator can be just as fun.Hit up your local practice days - throw down some arm pump filled motos and enjoy yourself. Don't like the track because they over water certain sections or have a "shitty" section? Kindly tell the owner or whom ever runs track maintenance so they can create a better experience for you. 

We can't grow the sport with everyone staring at their phones and two thumbs.. You have a voice and a personality - share that shit and make some friends who will tell more friends about how great moto is. The more people who see bikes in the beds of trucks heading to the track and less local dealers going out of business - the more the sport will actually grow peaking interest. 
2/6/2020 5:51am
While hashtags aren’t really the right idea, the bigger thing this guy is getting at are the different marketing benefits of social media. Kids are the future of the sport and they are on their phones, not going to dealerships. I know what this guy is getting at cause social media is already crucial in modern advertising, just up to NBC and Feld to dish out more dough in that regard so it sees new eyes.

The Shop

2/7/2020 4:50am
I have good friends who make their living in the dirt bike racing industry. For them and them alone I support "growing the sport".

But for me personally as nothing but a weekend rider sometime racer and father of a young boy who just started racing, growing the sport is probably a bad idea all the way around. Most things would get worse and I can't think of any that would get better.

Growing the sport of motocross is definitely a be careful what you ask for situation.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
2/7/2020 6:25am
151 wrote:
I have good friends who make their living in the dirt bike racing industry. For them and them alone I support "growing the sport". But for...
I have good friends who make their living in the dirt bike racing industry. For them and them alone I support "growing the sport".

But for me personally as nothing but a weekend rider sometime racer and father of a young boy who just started racing, growing the sport is probably a bad idea all the way around. Most things would get worse and I can't think of any that would get better.

Growing the sport of motocross is definitely a be careful what you ask for situation.
Serious question, what things would get worse if the sport were to grow?
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
2/7/2020 7:05am
The best thing I’ve seen is “learn to ride day” put on by a local shop. Set up for young kids they were providing bikes and gear at the local track. That day I must of seen 300+ kids come and go. Grow the sport, it’s a good thing!
Chance1216
2/7/2020 7:26am
ferg722 wrote:
The sport doesn't need an artificial push or beg for attention. Conforming to what everyone else likes will diminish the sport making it no longer what...
The sport doesn't need an artificial push or beg for attention.
Conforming to what everyone else likes will diminish the sport making it no longer what it's truly about..

You want to grow moto? 

Support your local dealers - build a rapport and spend that extra dollar or two on a quart of oil or whatever it is they have on the floor.. Looking for that OEM part or something you assume they should have in stock but they don't? Don't pout and kick - ask them to order it and suggest they expand their inventory carrying that part or accessory. Also, when buying a bike - be a savory customer.. dealers can't survive on "what's your best otd price because I'm calling every dealer in a 100 mile radius for the best deal" Actually visit the dealer and give them a chance to earn your business with their knowledge of the product and what they have to offer you. 

Support your local tracks - Hit up the local races and enjoy a weekend banging some bars and becoming one with the moto community. Don't race? nbd! being a spectator can be just as fun.Hit up your local practice days - throw down some arm pump filled motos and enjoy yourself. Don't like the track because they over water certain sections or have a "shitty" section? Kindly tell the owner or whom ever runs track maintenance so they can create a better experience for you. 

We can't grow the sport with everyone staring at their phones and two thumbs.. You have a voice and a personality - share that shit and make some friends who will tell more friends about how great moto is. The more people who see bikes in the beds of trucks heading to the track and less local dealers going out of business - the more the sport will actually grow peaking interest. 
I totally agree with people seeing bikes in back of trucks headed out. I went a period of time not riding when my kids were young and there wasn’t a bike in my garage. However, my son always noticed bikes in the back of trucks at a very early age. Although it was always my intention to buy him a bike, it was nice having him point and ask questions about the bikes cause that meant he would be interested. Same went for myself. I remember asking my grandfather to speed up on the freeway to catch up to trucks carrying bikes as a kid just to stare at them.

Although social media is a great platform for people to view MX, I don’t think it gets the point across as much as inviting a few friends from work to head out and give it a shot. Once they’re interested, they’ll eventually want to get their kids involved.
I might be off a little but, I think word of mouth is more effective personally. Just this past summer I’ve introduced four people to MX who now have their families involved in the sport. Not a bad ratio considering I only work with 11 people within my company.
FWYT
2/7/2020 7:50am
wisey wrote:
The best thing I’ve seen is “learn to ride day” put on by a local shop. Set up for young kids they were providing bikes and...
The best thing I’ve seen is “learn to ride day” put on by a local shop. Set up for young kids they were providing bikes and gear at the local track. That day I must of seen 300+ kids come and go. Grow the sport, it’s a good thing!
That is awesome! Which shop? Maybe an idea - what if several shops participated? Spread out the cost, more resources, etc.
FWYT
2/7/2020 7:51am
Chance1216 wrote:
I totally agree with people seeing bikes in back of trucks headed out. I went a period of time not riding when my kids were young...
I totally agree with people seeing bikes in back of trucks headed out. I went a period of time not riding when my kids were young and there wasn’t a bike in my garage. However, my son always noticed bikes in the back of trucks at a very early age. Although it was always my intention to buy him a bike, it was nice having him point and ask questions about the bikes cause that meant he would be interested. Same went for myself. I remember asking my grandfather to speed up on the freeway to catch up to trucks carrying bikes as a kid just to stare at them.

Although social media is a great platform for people to view MX, I don’t think it gets the point across as much as inviting a few friends from work to head out and give it a shot. Once they’re interested, they’ll eventually want to get their kids involved.
I might be off a little but, I think word of mouth is more effective personally. Just this past summer I’ve introduced four people to MX who now have their families involved in the sport. Not a bad ratio considering I only work with 11 people within my company.
However, social media IS the new word-of-mouth.
crowe176
2/7/2020 7:58am
There’s already too many people on the track where I ride. I really don’t get why people are so obsessed with growing the sport. You’re either Moto or you’re not.

Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong, but I think our sport is fine. I wish there were more places to ride, but people keep reproducing and less and less land is available to ride on. STOP HAVING SO MANY DAMN KIDS
2/7/2020 8:53am
I know your intentions are good, but do you really think a bunch of vitards spamming some hashtag on Instagram is going to do anything to make the sport more popular? Just lol
Chance1216
2/7/2020 9:44am
Chance1216 wrote:
I totally agree with people seeing bikes in back of trucks headed out. I went a period of time not riding when my kids were young...

FWYT wrote:
However, social media IS the new word-of-mouth.
It is. But, for a majority looking at pics and watching videos wouldn’t give the same opportunity of enjoyment as a chance to actually ride a bike.

Post a reply to: Make Motocross great via Social Media

The Latest