Mechanic salary

chaseodc
2/23/2018 6:53am
drenmaster wrote:
To me that would be one awesome job. But...do the mechanics ever get to rip on the bikes they maintain? That's gotta suck to work on...
To me that would be one awesome job. But...do the mechanics ever get to rip on the bikes they maintain? That's gotta suck to work on a bike with all this factory or just fancy top of the line stuff and never get to rideWhistling .. I feel sad everyday working on planes and not getting to fly Laughing .
DoubleA wrote:
I am pretty sure the mechanics are aloud to ride the practice bikes. I am sure I have seen a video of one of Deano's mechanics...
I am pretty sure the mechanics are aloud to ride the practice bikes. I am sure I have seen a video of one of Deano's mechanics riding one of his bike.

Also most people I see doing this job do it for the love of the job rather than money (obviously money is always a factor). Obviously they deserve to be paid more because of all the shit hours and travelling but so do a lot of other people in shit jobs that's just the way it works out.
I made 500ish a week in the late 90's into 01 working as a team guy for a bit then as a practice mechanic near Tampa for a while. I had awesome opportunities to ride many top caliber machines and enjoyed every one of them. Coolest was probably Reynards RM250 from 99. Some other notables Noleen YZ, Chapparel YZ, Pro Circuit KX.
This day in age is very different then when I was in a box van traveling around and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I agree with the general sentiment here that this job is for the love of the sport and not to get rich. Very small percentage of guys make big money as a mechanic. But as a race mechanic or practice bike guy I found both very fulfilling.
2/23/2018 6:21pm
It's no different to racers, and it's all about the lifestyle and dream. Start at the bottom for free and work your way up to the big money. Base salary with a team or wealthy family plus 10% of price money with all expenses paid for on the road and some free swag which can be sold off to subsidize income or be used like clothing. Some mechanics are able to negotiate a bike for the year to ride when they rarely get a chance or just use an old race/practice bike they fix up/piece together for themselves out of changed out/ excess/old stock parts.
Subwaytom
2/23/2018 7:35pm
#narconate is one of the best! He is a great guy to have around, my bikes are not the same without him. I guess he did a good job for #29 also.

The Shop

make1go
2/23/2018 7:59pm
drenmaster wrote:
To me that would be one awesome job. But...do the mechanics ever get to rip on the bikes they maintain? That's gotta suck to work on...
To me that would be one awesome job. But...do the mechanics ever get to rip on the bikes they maintain? That's gotta suck to work on a bike with all this factory or just fancy top of the line stuff and never get to rideWhistling .. I feel sad everyday working on planes and not getting to fly Laughing .
Odd i friend of mine used to go up with a pilot for testing? Do you just send the planes out on a wing and a prayer?
2/24/2018 2:15am
KennyT wrote:
Our son was a practice mechanic/babysitter/tutor/grocery getter/rig driver.

$100 per day....he lasted about 3 years
disbanded wrote:
By my calculations that's 365 thousand dollars a year
Hahaha, good one thats gold. I love it.
drenmaster
Fantasy
1413th
2/24/2018 7:29am
make1go wrote:
Odd i friend of mine used to go up with a pilot for testing? Do you just send the planes out on a wing and a...
Odd i friend of mine used to go up with a pilot for testing? Do you just send the planes out on a wing and a prayer?
no room.. I work on single seat aircraft. but that's not a common practice for us even if that was an option.
drenmaster
Fantasy
1413th
2/24/2018 7:38am
chaseodc wrote:
I made 500ish a week in the late 90's into 01 working as a team guy for a bit then as a practice mechanic near Tampa...
I made 500ish a week in the late 90's into 01 working as a team guy for a bit then as a practice mechanic near Tampa for a while. I had awesome opportunities to ride many top caliber machines and enjoyed every one of them. Coolest was probably Reynards RM250 from 99. Some other notables Noleen YZ, Chapparel YZ, Pro Circuit KX.
This day in age is very different then when I was in a box van traveling around and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I agree with the general sentiment here that this job is for the love of the sport and not to get rich. Very small percentage of guys make big money as a mechanic. But as a race mechanic or practice bike guy I found both very fulfilling.
thats sounds like you had an awesome experience. I think it would be an amazing time, just getting to be with a team and going racing. Money is not everything espiccally when you get to do what you love.
2/24/2018 7:40am
Race mechanics are company employees with benefits. They get, DOE, 55-75k salary average with bonuses.

Practice mechanics are 1099, and paid by the rider’s LLC. Typical salary is 750-1000 a week- some have bonuses also.

Nobody will read this because it’s not inflammatory nonsense.
bad juju
2/24/2018 10:35am
this guy

got one of these

blusmbl
2/24/2018 11:12am
Disbanded was poking at the flat earth thread. Some of your sarcasm detectors are broken.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
2/24/2018 11:20am
Race mechanics are company employees with benefits. They get, DOE, 55-75k salary average with bonuses. Practice mechanics are 1099, and paid by the rider’s LLC. Typical...
Race mechanics are company employees with benefits. They get, DOE, 55-75k salary average with bonuses.

Practice mechanics are 1099, and paid by the rider’s LLC. Typical salary is 750-1000 a week- some have bonuses also.

Nobody will read this because it’s not inflammatory nonsense.
The majority of mechanics are 1099 also, and the vast majority make no where near 75k.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
2/24/2018 11:30am
disbanded wrote:
By my calculations that's 365 thousand dollars a year
ab wrote:
you sir are one S***d moth*****r
It's called a joke, bloke.

Post a reply to: Mechanic salary

The Latest