Military Appreciation Gear Fail

deadlo
2/9/2020 8:24am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 3:00pm
We as Americans, should have this one down. I see this mistake constantly though. Posting this one to teach you guys something. Blue field must always be facing forward and never as if in retreat. Because this is Merica’, raise hell praise dale.

So, if you display a flag on your right shoulder, right side of dirtbike, right side of truck, or all of the above like a true pure blooded beer drinking chicken wing dippin American badass, then that blue field better be forward.

The only people allowed to display a countries flag in retreat is the French. For obvious reasons...😂

|
2/9/2020 9:17am
Sadly it seems that very little effort is put into this. The sponsors logos are more important. Disappointing really
slipdog
2/9/2020 9:26am
To play the devil's advocate, that is not something that is really taught to anyone unless you are in the military. I know it because my dad was a Lt.Col. USAF, but otherwise I never heard anything about flag orientation my entire life.
deadlo
2/9/2020 9:34am
slipdog wrote:
To play the devil's advocate, that is not something that is really taught to anyone unless you are in the military. I know it because my...
To play the devil's advocate, that is not something that is really taught to anyone unless you are in the military. I know it because my dad was a Lt.Col. USAF, but otherwise I never heard anything about flag orientation my entire life.
Yeah that’s why I made this post. I am active duty army. I knew about it before joining, but I am aware majority of Americans have no clue. I definitely don’t get mad about it, I love seeing people support our country in general. I do think it’s important for us to learn these things and take pride in the proper display of our flag and pride in our country though!

The Shop

devotid
Fantasy
500th
2/9/2020 9:35am
Sadly it seems that very little effort is put into this. The sponsors logos are more important. Disappointing really
^ this.

As a VERY proud American who grew up in Germany on a military base... I dont think many of these teams have much appreciation for the Military. Maybe a few with family members serving.... But it seems like they are just trying to "out do" each other with graphics, paint jobs and nothing is really even done at all for the Vets.

/rant
loftyair
2/9/2020 9:40am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2020 9:42am
Shoot. I had no clue. I would like to do it right. Sucks to do things wrong just for not knowing. So the blue background, and stars should always be 'moving, or towards the front'?
I always looked at flag and thought blue to left, stripes on right. Other way looks backwards, I guess not.
APLMAN99
2/9/2020 9:43am
The flag isn't supposed to be displayed flat, either, but no one really cares during a sporting event....

This is a violation of the flag code:

deadlo
2/9/2020 9:45am
loftyair wrote:
Shoot. I had no clue. I would like to do it right. Sucks to do things wrong just for not knowing. So the blue background, and...
Shoot. I had no clue. I would like to do it right. Sucks to do things wrong just for not knowing. So the blue background, and stars should always be 'moving, or towards the front'?
I always looked at flag and thought blue to left, stripes on right. Other way looks backwards, I guess not.
Correct. Now if it’s on the front of a shirt then yes blue front upper left. If it’s vertical then blue upper left. Anything moving blue front forward. So people always make the mistake on the right sides of things.
devotid
Fantasy
500th
2/9/2020 9:49am
loftyair wrote:
Shoot. I had no clue. I would like to do it right. Sucks to do things wrong just for not knowing. So the blue background, and...
Correct.

I used to own a small Truck Accessories/Custom shop and we started to do these flags on Veterans trucks for free. I had an old vinyl cutter and thought it would unite the Vets around my town. We did about 15 trucks before I sold the business. I still see a couple of them cruising around every now and then.

The idea came from a old Heli pilot that gave us young lads at the shop a free lesson about old glory. That man is now gone but he was prob one of the raddest men I have ever met. He made Maverick look like Steve Urkle. I miss him.
rohleder644
2/9/2020 9:50am
I was always taught “union first”. I’ll admit though, I had no clue about the flag not being displayed flat ^^^
APLMAN99
2/9/2020 9:58am
deadlo wrote:
We as Americans, should have this one down. I see this mistake constantly though. Posting this one to teach you guys something. Blue field must always...
We as Americans, should have this one down. I see this mistake constantly though. Posting this one to teach you guys something. Blue field must always be facing forward and never as if in retreat. Because this is Merica’, raise hell praise dale.

So, if you display a flag on your right shoulder, right side of dirtbike, right side of truck, or all of the above like a true pure blooded beer drinking chicken wing dippin American badass, then that blue field better be forward.

The only people allowed to display a countries flag in retreat is the French. For obvious reasons...😂

I did a quick search, because I thought I knew the Flag Code fairly well and didn't remember any mention of this. Sounds like it's a military guideline, but it isn't actually mentioned in the Flag Code. Here's the easiest explanation I found. If anything, this flag may not be appropriate because it is part of an "athletic uniform".

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is no law/code the governs the proper direction or wear of the US Flag on uniforms or kit- There are a lot of people out there who lose their minds when they see a flag being worn “backwards” on a shirt, hat or other piece of kit. In reality the only part of the US Code that mentions wear of the US flag on a uniform states “No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.” (4 U.S. Code § 8 (i)- Respect for flag). Further, the US Code determines that the wear of the US Flag on a uniform is “The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.”

While there is no US Code that governs the direction or wear of the US Flag, service members should consult their respective uniform guides for further information regarding the proper wear and appearance of the US flag on their uniform or kit."
Kenny Lingus
2/9/2020 10:00am
I believe the flag is not supposed to be on any clothing or used in a decorative manner, if we're getting technical.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
739th
2/9/2020 10:04am
I'm pretty sure this country was founded because people were tired of following nonsense rules like which way a flag should face.

Display the flag however you want. Our forefathers paid a heavy price so that we could do so.
JeremyK
2/9/2020 10:18am
I'm pretty sure this country was founded because people were tired of following nonsense rules like which way a flag should face. Display the flag however...
I'm pretty sure this country was founded because people were tired of following nonsense rules like which way a flag should face.

Display the flag however you want. Our forefathers paid a heavy price so that we could do so.
Flag etiquette is a real thing .
deadlo
2/9/2020 10:19am
I believe the flag is not supposed to be on any clothing or used in a decorative manner, if we're getting technical.
This is the funniest part of this entire thread because you’re completely right lol

Section J: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8
That is talking about wearing the actual flag.... like clothing made from an actual US flag. Smart ass
2/9/2020 10:24am
deadlo wrote:
That is talking about wearing the actual flag.... like clothing made from an actual US flag. Smart ass
“ However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. ”

The AMA and riders are not a member of any of these specifically aforementioned groups. I know reading is hard.
devotid
Fantasy
500th
2/9/2020 10:31am
Didnt KRoc buy the vets all a redbull in the stadium this weekend? I heard something about throwing darts at pics of AC for prizes or something. That ever go down?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/9/2020 10:34am
devotid wrote:
Didnt KRoc buy the vets all a redbull in the stadium this weekend? I heard something about throwing darts at pics of AC for prizes or...
Didnt KRoc buy the vets all a redbull in the stadium this weekend? I heard something about throwing darts at pics of AC for prizes or something. That ever go down?
APLMAN99
2/9/2020 10:49am
This is the funniest part of this entire thread because you’re completely right lol

deadlo wrote:
No offense intended, but can you cite the part of the Flag Code that relates to the shoulder patch being worn on the right arm incorrectly? You could be correct (or incorrect) about your interpretation of the costume or uniform referring to an "actual flag", but nowhere does it say anything about the union needing to be facing forward on such patches.

Obviously the military can set such guidelines for it's members as it sees fit, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement for the civilian display of the flag.

As a side note, are you offended by the flat display of the flag at sporting events?
deadlo
2/9/2020 10:59am

deadlo wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
No offense intended, but can you cite the part of the Flag Code that relates to the shoulder patch being worn on the right arm incorrectly...
No offense intended, but can you cite the part of the Flag Code that relates to the shoulder patch being worn on the right arm incorrectly? You could be correct (or incorrect) about your interpretation of the costume or uniform referring to an "actual flag", but nowhere does it say anything about the union needing to be facing forward on such patches.

Obviously the military can set such guidelines for it's members as it sees fit, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement for the civilian display of the flag.

As a side note, are you offended by the flat display of the flag at sporting events?
I am not offended by anything mentioned here. I am not saying any of you HAVE to do anything.

Now at a military appreciation race, military styling, flag patches, etc, yes, display that flag properly and not in retreat. Am I mad at astars, no. Did they technically have to do it that way to be right, no. But if you are coming out all military appreciation, I’m just pointing out that let’s get this thing right.

Why do all you guys fight this idea? Like ooop someone said something let me google how to prove him wrong because “my forefathers didnt fight for this..”. Lmao.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
739th
2/9/2020 11:07am
I'm pretty sure this country was founded because people were tired of following nonsense rules like which way a flag should face. Display the flag however...

JeremyK wrote:
Flag etiquette is a real thing .
Maybe it's a real thing to people living in North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, or under the British Monarchy.
Barrett57
2/9/2020 11:16am
Maybe it's a real thing to people living in North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, or under the British Monarchy.
Nope, we have Union flag doormats. We dgaf.
2/9/2020 11:25am
deadlo wrote:
We as Americans, should have this one down. I see this mistake constantly though. Posting this one to teach you guys something. Blue field must always...

The French didn't look like they were retreating in that 250 main.....
deadlo
2/9/2020 11:37am
deadlo wrote:

Rushton597 wrote:
The French didn't look like they were retreating in that 250 main.....
😂😂😂 true true.
Glen
2/9/2020 11:54am
Is this what you mean? The flag facing like in this picture?

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/9/2020 12:06pm
Glen wrote:
Is this what you mean? The flag facing like in this picture? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/09/403184/s1200_91Qhwe5hOLL._SL1500.jpg[/img]
Is this what you mean? The flag facing like in this picture?

Yes. It needs to be depicted like it's flown in the wind when someone or something is moving forward.
Phil109
2/9/2020 12:09pm
I didn’t know all these rules lol
2/9/2020 12:16pm
Well at least they are trying to show support to the military. Right or wrong placement of the flag, should be addressed or we should learn the correct way to display it. BUT we are not out burning the flag.

Post a reply to: Military Appreciation Gear Fail

The Latest