Mookie shreddin an Alta?

ferg722
7/24/2017 11:50am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 8:53am
Much room to speculate and make heads spin.. But, whatever the clause might be I'm curious to see what possibly transpires.. Even if it's just an awesome edit of him shreddin Zaca on an Alta

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
7/24/2017 11:52am
This should go well! I'd like to see the video though!
Katoomey
7/24/2017 11:52am
well, the bike doesn't have an exhaust, so...
7/24/2017 11:55am
Can't wait to see the video of that! The first thing that came to mind was if he could possibly ride it at the Monster Energy Cup. After all, that is less than 3 months away now. Unfortunately, I believe even this one-off race is sanctioned via the AMA and the AMA does not yet have a ruling for electric motorcycles in professional competition.

Oh well, it will still be a fantastic video none-the-less. I can't wait for Alta's battery tech to advance to the point of being able to finish a full-length harescramble!
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
7/24/2017 12:02pm
Oh boy

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2139th
7/24/2017 12:06pm
Taking the summer off from gas bikes to get ready for E- bikes?
davistld01
7/24/2017 12:26pm
Can you imagine the hype of Mookie & James showing up at A1 under an Alta/Seven awning?

Yeah, I know...I know... Whistling
Rockinar
7/24/2017 1:23pm
davistld01 wrote:
Can you imagine the hype of Mookie & James showing up at A1 under an Alta/Seven awning?

It would be a total embarrassment. They would be in the 250 class AND get smoked. Literally.
MelonFan123
7/24/2017 2:03pm
just connecting the dots here...

But he filmed his part for the next TWMX 2 stroke video (Premix?) at Zaca a few weeks ago. They probably just had him spin some laps on the Alta while there. Hopefully it makes the cut in the video
davistld01
7/24/2017 3:50pm
davistld01 wrote:

No.
LaughingLaughingSilly Yeah, man...I agree. I was just playing.
motokawi818
7/24/2017 4:06pm
Probably the perfect pick up for Alta if they get homologated and allowed to race.
Swann
7/24/2017 4:11pm
I was privy to some of Malcolm's reaction/comments after riding the Alta and it gave me goosebumps. Lets just say he was more than impressed.

The future is coming folks and it's coming fast.
MR. X
7/24/2017 4:16pm
I shaved my beard today. That is all.
How do you really know where your beard ends ?
jonesaustin
7/24/2017 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 4:34pm
davistld01 wrote:

with Alta who knows, I mean assuming they're backed by some serious Venture Capital, I can see a VC firm financing the Stewart's to get Alta on the map. And what better way to do it. I think you're onto something, this wouldn't surprise me at all and would be pretty fantastic.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
7/24/2017 5:07pm
Was rumored that stewart would be on an alta and alta was getting homoglated for SX this coming year. I assumed James but maybe Malcolm will be on an Alta. He'd be a good rider for them.
BMSOBx2
7/24/2017 5:49pm
colintrax wrote:
Was rumored that stewart would be on an alta and alta was getting homoglated for SX this coming year. I assumed James but maybe Malcolm will...
Was rumored that stewart would be on an alta and alta was getting homoglated for SX this coming year. I assumed James but maybe Malcolm will be on an Alta. He'd be a good rider for them.
Really? Another Stewart rumor? Who'da thought? Sick
mark911
7/24/2017 6:25pm
My guess would be that a lightened Alta would be competitive in Arena Cross and Straight Rhythm but it would be stretching the production battery pack technology to make a complete SX main event with full power. Of course, throw in a $25k cutting edge chemistry/thermal control pack and it might just work.

And that's where the AMA classifying the Alta might be difficult. Displacement is a very tangible and measurable thing. Electric motors are typically measured in Kilowatts. Kilowatts can be converted to HP. Alta claims about 30KW or about 40 HP, about the same as a stock 250F. But there's no easy or verifiable way to measure this; it's all about motor type, motor geometry, windings, magnets, field control, voltage, current, and a hundred other variables that are easily changed but almost impossible to spot. What ONE or two MEASURABLE quantities would the AMA use to insure a level playing field (as level as current rules anyway)?

Taking a lesson from Formula E, almost anything is allowable except the battery packs are all the same. So it's a race to see who can use the same amount of energy and get to the finish line first. But it's still E against E and not in the same vein as the division between MX2 and MX classes. I don't know of any sanctioned series where E goes head to head with ICE, probably because it's so hard to make things fair, at least by our old ways of thinking.

Admittedly, power today may not be as important as the old days. Let's face it, the 250s many times are turning faster laps than the 450s. So maybe something other than displacement, like weight, should dictate what bikes race against each other. But I digress.

Bottom line, I don't see the AMA coming up with any definitive measuring stick soon. Maybe the old rule that let Henry race the original prototype Yamaha will be allowed. Of course, that was the era of 125/250s and would probably land the Alta in the MX class. Anyway, until then its just wishful thinking.
jock
Fantasy
1st
7/24/2017 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 6:51pm
Can't wait to see the video of that! The first thing that came to mind was if he could possibly ride it at the Monster Energy...
Can't wait to see the video of that! The first thing that came to mind was if he could possibly ride it at the Monster Energy Cup. After all, that is less than 3 months away now. Unfortunately, I believe even this one-off race is sanctioned via the AMA and the AMA does not yet have a ruling for electric motorcycles in professional competition.

Oh well, it will still be a fantastic video none-the-less. I can't wait for Alta's battery tech to advance to the point of being able to finish a full-length harescramble!
I thought the Monster Cup was still a run what you want race, anything goes.
Flip109
7/24/2017 6:56pm
I shaved my beard today. That is all.
You're losing it bro. Get a two-stroke electric go-kart so it grows back asap!!
Katoomey
7/24/2017 6:57pm
Swann wrote:
I was privy to some of Malcolm's reaction/comments after riding the Alta and it gave me goosebumps. Lets just say he was more than impressed. The...
I was privy to some of Malcolm's reaction/comments after riding the Alta and it gave me goosebumps. Lets just say he was more than impressed.

The future is coming folks and it's coming fast.
what future is that? i dont see the landscape changing much any time soon. Electric dirtbike technology is only in it's infant stages, and whether it will ever advance from that stage is dependent on technology that doesn't currently exist, nor does it even exist in concept. Magnesium-Ion, Lithium-sulfur, Lithium-air ect... they are ll years aways from an application such as a motocross bike.

Lithium-polymer has not reached the end of it's life cycle, There is nothing ready to replace it on the consumer level. Just like Moore's Law in computing, there is a measure of predictability in power density of evolving chemistry. Unfortunately, the last 20% of a battery chemistry's life cycle can extend (chronologically) longer than the first 80%, and that last 20% can contribute to less than 1% of its power density increase over it's lifecycle.

My point is, power density for Li-Po is at or near its maximum and has been for some time. Now, 40 minutes at race pace is probably well within reach of Alta with the next generation of their platform. Thats great for motocrossers... The problem is with the rest of dirtbiking world, the guys that, regardless of what type of dirtbike they have, don't ride on closed circuits. Those guys happen to make up a staggering % of the dirtbike population.

Until there are electric bikes capable of 2 hour trail rides at race pace, they will remain a novelty. ...essentially you need to triple the power density of lithium chemistry, or 300%. Since it birth in the 1970's, lithium chemistry has never even doubled it's power density...
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/24/2017 6:59pm
As for the JS7 part of this discussion, didn't he ghost Alta in Florida for some kind of promo/photoshoot?
NATEP231
7/24/2017 7:20pm

James not here man
Swann
7/24/2017 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 8:11pm
Katoomey wrote:
what future is that? i dont see the landscape changing much any time soon. Electric dirtbike technology is only in it's infant stages, and whether it...
what future is that? i dont see the landscape changing much any time soon. Electric dirtbike technology is only in it's infant stages, and whether it will ever advance from that stage is dependent on technology that doesn't currently exist, nor does it even exist in concept. Magnesium-Ion, Lithium-sulfur, Lithium-air ect... they are ll years aways from an application such as a motocross bike.

Lithium-polymer has not reached the end of it's life cycle, There is nothing ready to replace it on the consumer level. Just like Moore's Law in computing, there is a measure of predictability in power density of evolving chemistry. Unfortunately, the last 20% of a battery chemistry's life cycle can extend (chronologically) longer than the first 80%, and that last 20% can contribute to less than 1% of its power density increase over it's lifecycle.

My point is, power density for Li-Po is at or near its maximum and has been for some time. Now, 40 minutes at race pace is probably well within reach of Alta with the next generation of their platform. Thats great for motocrossers... The problem is with the rest of dirtbiking world, the guys that, regardless of what type of dirtbike they have, don't ride on closed circuits. Those guys happen to make up a staggering % of the dirtbike population.

Until there are electric bikes capable of 2 hour trail rides at race pace, they will remain a novelty. ...essentially you need to triple the power density of lithium chemistry, or 300%. Since it birth in the 1970's, lithium chemistry has never even doubled it's power density...
The future where an electrically propelled motorcycle can and will seriously compete against an ICU factory bike. Consider what needs to be done to a production ICU bike in order to be competitive versus an Alta, which really only needs suspension and some computer fine tuning.

This conversation is about professional competition. The future of an electric motorcycle competing against and beating an internal combustion engine is here. That's pretty exciting as far as I'm concerned. The rest will follow.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
7/24/2017 9:27pm
colintrax wrote:
Was rumored that stewart would be on an alta and alta was getting homoglated for SX this coming year. I assumed James but maybe Malcolm will...
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Lol, it wasn't a rumor I heard on vital. Not at first anyways
Katoomey
7/24/2017 10:55pm
Swann wrote:
The future where an electrically propelled motorcycle can and will seriously compete against an ICU factory bike. Consider what needs to be done to a production...
The future where an electrically propelled motorcycle can and will seriously compete against an ICU factory bike. Consider what needs to be done to a production ICU bike in order to be competitive versus an Alta, which really only needs suspension and some computer fine tuning.

This conversation is about professional competition. The future of an electric motorcycle competing against and beating an internal combustion engine is here. That's pretty exciting as far as I'm concerned. The rest will follow.
Well, here's what I'm thinking.

I don't see the AMA allowing Alta to compete against combustion engines any time soon. I assume the current manufacturers aren't just going to let that fly.

So, until the current manufacturers offer competitive e-bikes, I dont think it's going to happen. ...and back to my original point, I dont see the major manufacturers (save maybe KTM) showing serious interest in e-bikes until they can be used as a platform for all of their fullsize off-road bikes. That wont happen until the run time is drastically increased.

I'm not saying e-bikes aren't the future, I'm just saying that if motocross racing is currently the only market for electric bikes, then their immediate future isn't as bright as it may appear for consumers.

Alta is in a good position either way, because they have somewhat proven tech, which can be adapted to any type of electric vehicle, especially commuter motorcycles, where this technology is essentially ready for mass consumption and a surefire market. I haven't looked into it, but Alta appears to be a design and engineering conglomerate that commissions their designs to third party manufacturers - and I'm not talking about sourcing cycle parts...I mean everything else, including all of their electronics, power units, frame, and everything in between, with only final fitment occurring at their assembly plant.. This allows them the ability to pivot to almost any type of business strategy or direction the company chooses to go. ...note that I am only speculating about this, based on observations of mine.
HenryA
7/25/2017 12:45am
colintrax wrote:
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Where's the DJ Khaled pic???
7/25/2017 3:19am
Shocking another pic of mookie from transworld

waiting for the next batch of christian craig updates...

Post a reply to: Mookie shreddin an Alta?

The Latest