Most well rounded riders

Braz
Fantasy
1114th
9/12/2017 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 10:23pm
Colton Haaker was on Pulp last episode and they talked a little about his dominance in endurocross but also about him running Erzberg and Romaniacs and not having the best results. He basically said it just came down to experience. It got me thinking about what current riders I thought would do very well across all riding disciplines. If you had to name one rider you think that could go out and do reasonably well across a wide range of events like motocross, supercross, endurocross, GNCC, hard enduro, trials, supermoto etc. who would that be?

My pick: Marvin Musquin
|
OR Racer46
Fantasy
1002nd
9/12/2017 10:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 12:14pm
Zack Osborne . Mike Brown did pretty well also
FWYT
9/12/2017 10:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 10:58pm
Marvin has competed in those other types of racing?

Casseli was probably on his way but tragedy struck.

Supercross is going to be hard to throw in the mix because it is SOO specialized. If SX is in the mix, the question
is basically "Who is the best SX rider that also is good at other stuff." Yeah, probably Haaker. Or Brownie. Or maybe Sipes? At least as far as Americans. It'd actually probably be a Euro dude. Like those guys that win at the Six Days. Dudes make riding across a field of oiled bowling balls looks like a walk in the park.
FWYT
9/12/2017 10:52pm
Semi related- I was just watching a bunch of Billy Bolt clips. Yes, I know there are other, better Extreme Enduro guys but Bolt cracks me up. And talk about bike handling skills!

The Shop

Sully
9/12/2017 11:12pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Zack Osborne . Mike Brown did pretty well also
Definitely Zack O. The kid proved he's a true moto hound when he rode/finished(?) the ISDE a couple of years ago.

I'd also throw Destry Abbot and Ricky Dietrich into the mix as well.
MohMoto14
9/12/2017 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 11:28pm
Zack Osborne did pretty damn well a few years ago in gncc's and I think he was was coming off an injury at the time, didn't he ride the ISDE that year also?

Aaron Plessinger is as good a bet as any. Osbourne got him this year in Moto but may go a little differently in the woods, his last name is Plessinger!

Ryan sipes- dude hauls the mail anywhere.

And if you don't mean currently then Doug henry for sure. Also raced snocross for factory yamaha in 99-00, medaled a few times in adaptive snocross at xgames. Supermoto xgames gold medalist. Won the Florida gncc like a boss.

May be funny to some but Pastrana is my winner if you meant all time. Put him on anything motorized(or not) and he can run the best without any practice, at least until he gets tired. Watch where he raced erzberg some years ago, led for a pretty long time. I think he raced supermoto a little and did well, at least he was fast. he raced the Florida gncc one year and had a yard sale in the first corner resulting in a broken radiator, bet he'd been fast in-between picking his bike up though. I'm not into freestyle but he was the first to do many tricks and double back flip which is pretty insane. Include 4 wheel racing and I can't imagine anyone beating him!

Edit- Pastrana led a lap and ran up front for a while at the gncc
9/13/2017 1:23am
One of the trail riders that has switched over to Enduro, there's a couple of them and they seem to be able to ride anything, bike control for days.
9/13/2017 2:04am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 2:12am
Herlings already won. lol
He won a beach race, not that it isn't impressive but not that shocking when you consider he's quite possibly the best sand rider ever.

Put him at Erzberg or Romaniac's and it would be a different story. Not saying he can't do it or wouldn't be able to succeed there, it would just take some time.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
9/13/2017 2:04am
Not a current rider obviously, but Everts winning the 2003 ISDE is up there as one of the best cross over rides ever
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
9/13/2017 2:47am
RC is pretty well rounded.
9/13/2017 2:49am
He won a beach race, not that it isn't impressive but not that shocking when you consider he's quite possibly the best sand rider ever. Put...
He won a beach race, not that it isn't impressive but not that shocking when you consider he's quite possibly the best sand rider ever.

Put him at Erzberg or Romaniac's and it would be a different story. Not saying he can't do it or wouldn't be able to succeed there, it would just take some time.
No currnt mx'er could finish let alone compete in any of the hard enduros.

Look how good haaker is and he struggles at those events
9/13/2017 2:50am
Everts, Steve Wise, Shane Watts, Mike Brown....seems like a lot of these legends would do well in any discipline. Balance, eyesight, coordination, timing.....they all got it.

Steve Wise...most well rounded motorcycle rider of all-time. IMO.
9/13/2017 2:52am
FWYT wrote:
Marvin has competed in those other types of racing? Casseli was probably on his way but tragedy struck. Supercross is going to be hard to throw...
Marvin has competed in those other types of racing?

Casseli was probably on his way but tragedy struck.

Supercross is going to be hard to throw in the mix because it is SOO specialized. If SX is in the mix, the question
is basically "Who is the best SX rider that also is good at other stuff." Yeah, probably Haaker. Or Brownie. Or maybe Sipes? At least as far as Americans. It'd actually probably be a Euro dude. Like those guys that win at the Six Days. Dudes make riding across a field of oiled bowling balls looks like a walk in the park.
sx is no harder to throw in the mix than hard enduro or endurocross.

Look at Alex ray for an example. Top 30 supercross rider in the world and struggle to main a B main in a USA endurocross. I think it would be easier to teach an endurocross rider to ride supercross than the other way round.
Dougy1
9/13/2017 3:12am
Slightly off topic but I grew up admiring Shaun Palmer. Generally amazing cross over sportsman . But I reckon Roczen would be a great all rounder and adapt well too off road flat track super Moto and extreme enduro . He's a freak
rjg
9/13/2017 3:15am
Pastrana
9/13/2017 5:22am
MohMoto14 wrote:
Zack Osborne did pretty damn well a few years ago in gncc's and I think he was was coming off an injury at the time, didn't...
Zack Osborne did pretty damn well a few years ago in gncc's and I think he was was coming off an injury at the time, didn't he ride the ISDE that year also?

Aaron Plessinger is as good a bet as any. Osbourne got him this year in Moto but may go a little differently in the woods, his last name is Plessinger!

Ryan sipes- dude hauls the mail anywhere.

And if you don't mean currently then Doug henry for sure. Also raced snocross for factory yamaha in 99-00, medaled a few times in adaptive snocross at xgames. Supermoto xgames gold medalist. Won the Florida gncc like a boss.

May be funny to some but Pastrana is my winner if you meant all time. Put him on anything motorized(or not) and he can run the best without any practice, at least until he gets tired. Watch where he raced erzberg some years ago, led for a pretty long time. I think he raced supermoto a little and did well, at least he was fast. he raced the Florida gncc one year and had a yard sale in the first corner resulting in a broken radiator, bet he'd been fast in-between picking his bike up though. I'm not into freestyle but he was the first to do many tricks and double back flip which is pretty insane. Include 4 wheel racing and I can't imagine anyone beating him!

Edit- Pastrana led a lap and ran up front for a while at the gncc
This......TP all day.
agn5009
9/13/2017 5:32am
Plessinger or Osbourne. Both have experience and have had success. No one else has those.
Rowlands
9/13/2017 5:38am
My picks would be Travis Pastrana, Taddy Blazusiak then Graham Jarvis.

The extreme enduro boys struggle with MX/SX but they have all other disciplines covered. Musquin and Osbourne are good with speed but I'm afraid you put them both on a trials bike or an extreme enduro they would look kinda silly no disrespect but the skill set for trials and mx is waaaaay different to MX.

Another badass dude on a motorcycle is Marc Marquez and trials ace Toni Bou
BobPA
9/13/2017 5:39am
imoto34 wrote:
RC is pretty well rounded.
In more ways than one.
ehr400
9/13/2017 6:04am
How about Jeff Ward? Dude has a pretty good crossover ability, i mean not to do now a days but in his prime, I think he was gnarly.

Also Danny Laporte, GP champion, MX champion, won stages on Paris Dakar and other long rallies. Dude was gnar as well.
9/13/2017 6:06am
ehr400 wrote:
How about Jeff Ward? Dude has a pretty good crossover ability, i mean not to do now a days but in his prime, I think he...
How about Jeff Ward? Dude has a pretty good crossover ability, i mean not to do now a days but in his prime, I think he was gnarly.

Also Danny Laporte, GP champion, MX champion, won stages on Paris Dakar and other long rallies. Dude was gnar as well.
This is about current riders, or else I would have mentioned TP199
ehr400
9/13/2017 6:08am
ehr400 wrote:
How about Jeff Ward? Dude has a pretty good crossover ability, i mean not to do now a days but in his prime, I think he...

This is about current riders, or else I would have mentioned TP199
TP isnt a current rider anymore...
MohMoto14
9/13/2017 6:08am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 6:10am
Rodney smith- 3rd in the 1988 250cc mxgp points. 5 time gncc champ.

Colton haaker qualified for a few nationals around 2010 I believe.
flymoto
9/13/2017 6:35am
Christophe Charlier for me! Run well when he was in mxgp. Crossed over to enduro, and seems to be doing well.

Also seen a few videos of him on a slick sx track were he looked very comfortable.

Others would be, pastrana, casselli, maybe Toby price and Sam Sunderland- got to rip to be a Dakar rider!

To be honest there's quite a lot of riders that have switched over to enduro recently. Nathan Watson spring to mind as one of the bigger name to have gone recently aswel
mayzo
9/13/2017 7:05am
Toby Price
BMSOBx2
9/13/2017 7:52am
MohMoto14 wrote:
Rodney smith- 3rd in the 1988 250cc mxgp points. 5 time gncc champ.

Colton haaker qualified for a few nationals around 2010 I believe.
Glad someone mentioned Rodney Smith. Great all around rider. Very fast.

Post a reply to: Most well rounded riders

The Latest