Motocross Literature

aeffertz
Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 12:11pm
Anyone have any recommendations on some moto related literature? Want to snag a few books to put on the shelf for a rainy day.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/18/2018 10:51am
Later this year I will be finished with Tougher Than a Speeding Bullet, the Steve Martz Story, which is a tale of survival and grit in the wilds of Baja. My friend and longtime riding partner Steve was shot while prerunning the Baja 1000 racecourse and had to find his way back to civilization and help. He survived, but barely. He wanted someone to write a book about his experience and I got the call.

Not exactly moto, but very close and the story is unbelievable.

MX45
9/18/2018 10:52am
Malcolm! The Autobiography By Malcolm Smith - a very nice one to keep on your coffee table

Jeremy McGrath: Wide Open

META (just picked up all their back issues on Labor Day, maybe they will have a sale again on Black Friday)
Frodad78
9/18/2018 1:18pm
McGrath's Wide Open is such a great book for someone who grew up during that time. I read it twice lol

The Shop

Tryhard
9/18/2018 1:20pm
Falcon wrote:
Later this year I will be finished with [i]Tougher Than a Speeding Bullet, the Steve Martz Story,[/i] which is a tale of survival and grit in...
Later this year I will be finished with Tougher Than a Speeding Bullet, the Steve Martz Story, which is a tale of survival and grit in the wilds of Baja. My friend and longtime riding partner Steve was shot while prerunning the Baja 1000 racecourse and had to find his way back to civilization and help. He survived, but barely. He wanted someone to write a book about his experience and I got the call.

I would love to read this !
OtotheB178
9/18/2018 1:29pm
"Jamie Dobb: a season in the life of a motocross racer"

I've read it twice, i know it's about GP's but still pretty good!
I've read the McGrath one, it's really simple and not very 'adult' in the way it's written but it's a good read as well.

I'm looking to get the larry linkogle one "in the mind of the demon".....

Anyone else got any other suggestions? When is Reed releasing his?
dimetime
9/18/2018 1:33pm
I am currently working on a book detailing the importance of Orange County during the 70s-80s to the entire motocross world. The manufacturers, places to ride, most importantly Saddleback as well as the riders from the area.
FWYT
9/18/2018 1:37pm
Well, not quite motocross but desert racing . . .
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" was written when Hunter was assigned
to cover the Mint 400. There IS mentions of the race in the book.
So that's my suggestion and I'm sticking to it. LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/18/2018 2:22pm
Falcon wrote:
Later this year I will be finished with [i]Tougher Than a Speeding Bullet, the Steve Martz Story,[/i] which is a tale of survival and grit in...

Tryhard wrote:
I'll be sure to spam the hell out of the forum when it's finished. Laughing

Actually, if I get it published, I'll be sure to advertise here.
dimetime
9/18/2018 2:25pm
Falcon wrote:

Tryhard wrote:
Falcon wrote:
I'll be sure to spam the hell out of the forum when it's finished. :laugh: Actually, if I get it published, I'll be sure to advertise...

Self publish that bad boy. I've heard both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have really solid self publishing services.
9/18/2018 2:32pm
Falcon wrote:

Tryhard wrote:
Falcon wrote:
I'll be sure to spam the hell out of the forum when it's finished. :laugh: Actually, if I get it published, I'll be sure to advertise...

Id also be interested in reading it
BAD10
9/18/2018 2:56pm
Falcon wrote:

Keep posted on availability. Sounds like a good read............
magoo1982
9/18/2018 6:32pm
if u like some moto history , Moto - Cross The Golden Era by Paul Stephens . covers gps and moto in GBR from 50s to early 70s .If u weren't into moto then u ll learn about the pioneers and ironmen of our sport ...
calcoast
9/18/2018 9:10pm
Falcon wrote:

Put me on the presale list too. Book sounds badass.
make1go
9/18/2018 9:27pm
"How to win at motocross" Gary Bailey.

If i had an exam on that book it would have been the only A i'd get in high school...
MohMoto14
9/18/2018 9:40pm
Monkey Butt By the former editor of Dirt Bike magazine. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/18/288125/s1200_5A9AB4CB_1CBD_424B_BA1D_9D56C6ED0C51.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/18/288124/s1200_06DEAAEF_F225_413C_A46C_FDC26B2086F8.jpg[/img]
Monkey Butt
By the former editor of Dirt Bike magazine.

I laughed until I cried many times reading this book. I mcgraths book wide open which is a good read for sure.
Robgvx
9/19/2018 2:14am
I'm working on a book right now.

Title is undecided at the moment, but the premise is to give a detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the 1980s 500cc world motocross championship, from the perspective of someone who was there, on the other side of the fence.

What was it like to race in the GPs in their heyday? What was it like to compete against so many legends of the sport - world champions like David Thorpe, Andre Malherbe, Eric Geboers, Georges Jobe, Hakan Carlqvist, Graham Noyce, Heinz Kinigadner and Jacky Vimond, and what were those great riders like as people?

What was it like to race on some of the world's most iconic race tracks like Namur, Sittendorf, Payerne, Hawkstone Park and Farleigh Castle?

What was it like to be racing a full factory 500, and how did I come from nowhere to earn that opportunity?

How did the whole GP circus work? How did we live? How did we travel? What kind of stuff happened along the way?

How did it feel to be racing at the Motocross des Nations - and finishing fifth on a shitty, stock used 125 that I had to buy the week before the race?

And what was it really like to be racing as a member of the factory Kawasaki race team?

It'll be revealing, illuminating and fascinating. It will also shatter some illusions.

Should be published some time next year.

Rob
MudPup545
9/19/2018 3:35am

Not exactly moto but, an excellent book.
Rs444
9/19/2018 5:02am
Robgvx wrote:
I'm working on a book right now. Title is undecided at the moment, but the premise is to give a detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the 1980s...

Title is undecided at the moment, but the premise is to give a detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the 1980s 500cc world motocross championship, from the perspective of someone who was there, on the other side of the fence.

What was it like to race in the GPs in their heyday? What was it like to compete against so many legends of the sport - world champions like David Thorpe, Andre Malherbe, Eric Geboers, Georges Jobe, Hakan Carlqvist, Graham Noyce, Heinz Kinigadner and Jacky Vimond, and what were those great riders like as people?

What was it like to race on some of the world's most iconic race tracks like Namur, Sittendorf, Payerne, Hawkstone Park and Farleigh Castle?

What was it like to be racing a full factory 500, and how did I come from nowhere to earn that opportunity?

How did the whole GP circus work? How did we live? How did we travel? What kind of stuff happened along the way?

How did it feel to be racing at the Motocross des Nations - and finishing fifth on a shitty, stock used 125 that I had to buy the week before the race?

And what was it really like to be racing as a member of the factory Kawasaki race team?

It'll be revealing, illuminating and fascinating. It will also shatter some illusions.

Rob
If you dont mind me asking, wich rob are you?. There have been a couple of robs in the gp's through the years Smile
Rs444
9/19/2018 5:10am
En crossad dröm - jörgen Nilsson.

Not sure if there are any english translations of this book but i recon there is. Its by Jörgen nilsson who was bound to become the 500cc world champion 1993 but crashed in a sx race between WC rounds and got paralyzed instead. Really sad book about his career and the backside of racing. Its a shame that he did because he was so far ahead of the field so even tho he missed many races he still got 2nd in the championship and was so fast so he would probably ended up being one of the greats.
Robgvx
9/19/2018 5:13am
Robgvx wrote:
I'm working on a book right now. Title is undecided at the moment, but the premise is to give a detailed, behind-the-scenes look at the 1980s...

Rob
Rs444 wrote:
If you dont mind me asking, wich rob are you?. There have been a couple of robs in the gp's through the years Smile
Sorry, Rob Andrews.

http://www.robandrewsmx.com/
motogrady
9/19/2018 5:21am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 5:29am
Here's a good one.
The guy that won multiple world championships. The guy Edison Dye brought over to the states that would start it all. The guy that started the first company, Thor, that made specalized gear used in motocross.
It's a good read.

motogrady
9/19/2018 5:28am
MudPup545 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/19/288261/s1200_john_penton2012.jpg[/img] Not exactly moto but, an excellent book.

Not exactly moto but, an excellent book.
Agreed this is a good one.

Wanna know where KTM came from?
Its right here.
Rs444
9/19/2018 5:54am
motogrady wrote:
Here's a good one. The guy that won multiple world championships. The guy Edison Dye brought over to the states that would start it all. The...
Here's a good one.
The guy that won multiple world championships. The guy Edison Dye brought over to the states that would start it all. The guy that started the first company, Thor, that made specalized gear used in motocross.
It's a good read.

Inventor of the mx gear Smile . Such a Nice dude too, i've met him when i was younger Smile .
motogrady
9/19/2018 6:13am
motogrady wrote:
Here's a good one. The guy that won multiple world championships. The guy Edison Dye brought over to the states that would start it all. The...
Here's a good one.
It's a good read.

Rs444 wrote:
Inventor of the mx gear Smile . Such a Nice dude too, i've met him when i was younger Smile .
I snuck into the riders meeting at Unadilla back in 1972 or 73. Sat on the grass between him and Jimmy Weinert.
Being a kid racing a Hodaka, and an addict of Cycle News, that was convinced professional motocross was my calling, I was awestruck.
Didn't utter a word, stage fright over the top. Laughing
9/19/2018 6:45am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 6:46am
I got both of these for Christmas, and always enjoy bringing them on flights, etc... They're at least 1" thick each. No matter how much I think I know, I always learn something new reading these. Race Tech's suspension bible is also a killer resource, but you'll go cross eyed from all the math and graphs if you aren't really into suspension theory

make1go
9/19/2018 6:45am
wow some good stuff coming to light...

im geussing many are out of print..?

anyone know any online?
KDXGarage
9/19/2018 2:08pm
Eric Gorr's 1996, 2000 and 2004 repair books are great!
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
9/19/2018 2:50pm
Robgvx wrote:

Rob
I look forward to reading your book when it's available.
ktmdan
9/19/2018 2:55pm
I got both of these for Christmas, and always enjoy bringing them on flights, etc... They're at least 1" thick each. No matter how much I...
I got both of these for Christmas, and always enjoy bringing them on flights, etc... They're at least 1" thick each. No matter how much I think I know, I always learn something new reading these. Race Tech's suspension bible is also a killer resource, but you'll go cross eyed from all the math and graphs if you aren't really into suspension theory

What an awesome Christmas gift.

Anyone here ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics? It has very little to do with motorcycle mechanics and what it does mention is inaccurate but it's a good story about a long street bike ride.. oh and a ton of philosophy. If you don't learn any new words reading that book then you're way too smart to be on vital.

Post a reply to: Motocross Literature

The Latest