Motor home conversions needs vs wants!!.

10/27/2017 6:32pm

?
Hi all.  I am looking to purchase a van to convert into a motorhome either a Sprinter, master, transit or ducato . Will be a long wheel base having to get mx bikes in or mountain bikes/ go kart etc.  I will be sticking to one of these platforms.

This will be a project to sell on to the public creating a business. I am a vehicle builder by trade and looking at the general requirements in the market so my personal wants are irrelivent.  A survey if you will. ?

This thread is to discuss everyone's experiences with these specific vehicles and what You have found to be of value or no value with a conversion.

Let's say needs vs wants, or neccessaty conversion items vs non neccessaty. 

Examples. 

1. Indoor shower really needed or just outdoor shower

2. Hot water systems; gas, diesel, blown air heater or combo units

3. Electronics. Tv. Blue ray. Solar. Standard agm batteries vs lithium ion( worth the expense for lithium)

4. AC UNIT.  Being 240v (Australia) are they worth it or not generally having 240v available at the track or worth the expense of lithium ion and large solar systems to maybe run the AC via inverter.

5. 2 maxi fans adequate for cooling on those hot days?

6. sleeping 2, 3 or 4   vs seating. 2, 3 or 4 seats .one double bed enough above garage space or flip down beds x4 more realistic so that will give 2 seat belted extra seats behind driver and passenger seats.? ( keeping sleeping births equal to seats.)

7. Annex around the awning a need or awning shade enough? Rear door shade? Drivers side shade? 

8. Cooking. Kitchenette in the vehicle with hot cold water sink and 2 burner gas hob  or maybe induction 240v or even diesel induction by webasto. 

These are just A few ideas and if you have found some neccessary or wasteful expensive luxury not needed in a motorhome/ toy hauler.

Link just for attention of what I'm looking at. Maybe overkill..

https://www.google.com.au/search?client=ms-android-samsung&dcr=0&biw=41…:

Should make some Interesting reading of fellow MX,ers/ campers. 

|
10/27/2017 6:46pm
Thats a lot for a sprinter. I think fitting that in a trailer might be better.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
10/27/2017 7:01pm
If I won the lottery i would get a long sprinter with a toilet, sleeping for 2, garage area for (2) full size bikes and possibly pitbike, water tank, generator, awning off side. Seen the ones where the bikes had to be put in back wards so sleeping area was over "seat" of bike to gain room.
rongi#401
10/28/2017 10:23am
It can be done. How long is the longest sprinter???
tcallahan707
10/28/2017 10:39am
rongi#401 wrote:
It can be done. How long is the longest sprinter???
As long as Ronnie Mac's dong.

The Shop

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
10/28/2017 11:13am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2017 11:13am
Check out Ronny dahl and 4xoverland on YouTube to see what they do to live out of their vehicles. Some good stuff to transfer over. Also look at sportsmobiles
Mx286
10/28/2017 11:31am
There is no way you could get all that stuff into a van. Maybe try a camper, small trailer, or a smaller toy hauler.
10/28/2017 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2017 2:27pm
Thanks for true replies this far, very informative. ?
Very good yak651 some good ideas.
I will check out the ones suggested on YouTube, cool.

Anyone with a converted motorhome ; what you wish was added to make it better or what you have found over kill you never use?
goony
10/28/2017 3:36pm
My lottary dream is a full size semi for racing and camping, my realistic plan is a sprinter for the bikes with a camper behind, bikes and stuff in the van and living in the camper, me and my kid can sleep without the gasolin and smelly gears and the camper can stay and we can go for a quick shop witout having to drag all of it with us

Post a reply to: Motor home conversions needs vs wants!!.

The Latest