My 2017 Alta Redshift MX...

ben990
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 7:43am
Well, last week the Alta Motors Northeast Sales Manager emailed me, saying that Alta finally had two dealers signed up in the Northeast. He also said my option was to wait until a dealer was set up in Western NY, or did I want one of the bikes that was being delivered to Town and Country Cycle Center in New Jersey?

I was a little hesitant, as I wasn't sure I wanted to be on the bleeding edge of technology, but I decided to pull the trigger. I checked, and Town and Country Cycle Center was 4.5 hours from me, not too bad. A couple phone calls later, and I was good to go for Thursday. I left the house Thursday morning at 5am, got to the dealer at 9:30am, and I was headed home by 10:15am with my brand new Alta!

Me (on the left) at the dealership with my new Alta.

On a side note, Town and Country Cycle Center is a great dealer. I have never seen a dealer with so many mx and offroad motorcycles in stock. I came close to leaving not only with an Alta but a 2017 KTM FE 450 SXF...

It was funny, when I was talking to the sales manager, he gave me a small box with a quick start guide and a few tools in it. I said that it wasn't quite the same as the KTM briefcase, and he reaches under his desk and brings out hard exterior lockable briefcase that has the Alta charger in it. Oops, nevermind!

The Alta briefcase - heavy duty!

I also like it that the dealer worker who explained the Alta to me was a serious racer, a pro MXer and AA offroad guy. I have bought MX bikes at dealers before where I know more about the bike than they do, and I point stuff out to them.

So, hats off to Town and Country Cycle Center fro being a great dealership, and I now consider them one of my sponsors, after throwing in 2 t-shirts and bike numbers. I will add them to my current sponsor list, which includes:

[insert sound of ocean waves here...]

I get home, and ride the Alta up and down the driveway. Holy Shih Tzu this thing is impressive! I put my race number on it, and then ride it over to my friend's practice track, which is next door. We are out in the country, but we have had some noise issues over the years. Several years ago We fought the town, and since then there is an agreement in place where we can ride Tuesdays and Thursdays 5-7pm), and Saturdays (1-3pm). Ridiculous but we have adhered to it.

Numbered up.

OK, back to the Alta. Damn, this thing rips! It is the coolest thing to come out of a corner and roll the throttle on. Traction is unbelievable and it literally pulls forever. Like all of the reviews, the only noises you hear are the tires scrubbing on the ground, the engine motor whining a little bit, and the suspension topping out here and there. It feels heavy getting it off the stand, but when you ride it the heaviness goes away. I was doing jumps I normally do on my 2016 YZ450F with no problem right away.

I let two of my friends try it, and they were both very impressed. One of them is an A-level mx/hare scramble guy, and he said he wouldn't hesitate to race it as is. He loved the handling and the power. I rode his 2017 KTM 350 SXF while he rode the Alta, and I thought the Alta was more responsive and felt lighter! His 350 felt like a tank and seemed tall.

So, the next day is Friday, and I decide to do a moto at 10:30am in the morning, because, well, I now can! I did it on my own track, which is a slower, tight, technical track, with a lot of hills. I did a 37 minute moto, and the Alta worked great! And no one knew I was out there, which was the best part. I also wanted to see what the battery life was, because I was planning on racing it on Sunday! I used a little more that half the battery for my 37 minute moto.

I did some errands, and then Friday evening, I decide to get in another moto, just because I now can! I did another 35 minutes or so, and I am still deeply in love with this bike!

OK, Saturday comes around, and normally I would take it off because of the race on Sunday, and just get the bikes ready, but I can't help it; I want to ride the Alta and do some lap-time comparisons. I ride my 2014 KTM 300 XC-W over to my friend's track, and bust out 3 laps, while I get timed. I then ride home, grab the Alta, and do the same thing. I am about 1 second faster per lap on the Alta! And a lot quieter!

OK, now it is time to get ready for the race on Sunday. It is the Palmyra XO race, which is a take-off on the JDay races. You have two 30 minute motos on a course that is half moto and half flowing woods. I decided to do one class on the Alta and one class on the KTM, so I could compare the two under race conditions.

I washed the KTM, changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, and then it was ready. With the Alta, I washed it, and then I just stared at it, wondering what do next. Oil? Nope. Filter? Nope. So I put a couple stickers on it and called it ready.

Sunday came, and so did the rain. It rained, and then rained, and then rained some more. It rained steadily from the time I got there, 8am, until the time I left, around 1pm. But, as they say, there is no such thing as bad weather; just bad attitudes. Well, my attitude was getting to be poor.

Rain day, I mean race day.

I signed up for +35B. I am 51 years old, and I was originally planning on racing +35B and the +50 class in the afternoon, but the weather put a damper on that. The turnout was very light because of the rain; 3 +35 A riders, 6 +35B riders, and maybe 10 +35C riders.

I did my first moto on the Alta. It is a dead engine start. The starter points his flag at everyone, then drops it to the ground, and then raises it, and everyone starts their bike and goes. The magic-button KTM guys usually get off the line pretty well, but of course I got the holeshot! I led for a little, and then hesitated going into a woods section and got passed. I then had a brain fade on my second lap, going the long (and wrong) way, avoiding an endurocross-like section, that was pretty easy. It literally added about 1-2 minutes to my lap time, which is hard to make up in a 25-30 minute race!

All in all, the Alta is very competitive as-is, and I am beyond happy with it. A lot of people checked it out at the race, and everyone was impressed. I have a whole bunch of bikes and this one impresses me the most, and puts the biggest smile on my face. It makes me want to ride almost every day, and now I can.

More to follow, as I plan on racing MX with it this Sunday, after putting several motos on it during the week!

|
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
6/5/2017 10:45am
Great real-world, regular-Joe, seat-of-the-pants report.

Keep us posted as you get more seat time.
Motofinne
6/5/2017 10:49am
Very good report on the bike!

I would love to try one someday, but i guess we in Europe wont see those bikes for a couple of years?

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/5/2017 10:50am
Nice, congrats. I'd like to hear your thoughts with more time on and if you feel the same as me, like you can ride it a bit differently not having to shift/use clutch. It seemed like it was easier for me to stand up more than on my normal mx bikes.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
6/5/2017 10:52am
Great post.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/5/2017 10:53am
Nice write up...
What did you end up paying for it "out the door" ?
What kind of warranties are offered and what do they cost ?
6/5/2017 11:11am
Today is the day that opinion has shifted. The Alta is here to stay. I honestly plan for my next bike to be an Alta. I'm a few years left on my 250 sx but when she's completely paid for..... Alta it will be.
TXDirt
6/5/2017 11:13am
Great write up! These bikes are the future.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1966th
6/5/2017 11:17am
Awesome!
I've been waiting for a real world write up.
6/5/2017 11:18am
Congrats! I'm skeptical of battery bikes, but if buy one in a heartbeat if I were daddy warbucks.
6/5/2017 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 12:01pm
You sir are a pioneer. Great write up.

Can't help but feel like this post is a official beginning of a new era of sorts. Let the Alta sightings begin...
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
6/5/2017 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 12:03pm
An Alta would open up so many more riding opportunities for me, can't wait to get one. I wish they had a mini for my kid as well.
EastFlorida
6/5/2017 12:14pm
I'd really like to know if I could complete a 2 hr Hare Scrambles race on one. If I could, I'd consider one... How long is the charge time? Use a generator at the track to do the charging?
ocscottie
6/5/2017 12:31pm
Awesome read and great bike review, actually read every word (usually skim through long posts, ya ya im lazy)
Really cool there is now another option out there, and so jealous of you being able to ride out of your garage, that was my dream growing up.
Johnny Depp
6/5/2017 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 12:45pm
Great job on the ride report, can't wait to hear more. 10 pager here. Subscribed.
6/5/2017 12:46pm
GrapeApe wrote:
An Alta would open up so many more riding opportunities for me, can't wait to get one. I wish they had a mini for my kid...
An Alta would open up so many more riding opportunities for me, can't wait to get one. I wish they had a mini for my kid as well.
I don't know how old your kid is, but Oset has a 50-sized mx bike.
Rupert X
6/5/2017 12:52pm
Sweet. Enjoyed your review. There's an electricity in the air. Cheers !
DoctorJD
6/5/2017 12:55pm
So if buying a 2-stroke is "speaking with your wallet", then what is it when you buy an electric bike?

Congrats, and cool write-up. I'll be looking forward to hearing some more feedback on the bike. I'm very intrigued.
6/5/2017 1:03pm
DoctorJD wrote:
So if buying a 2-stroke is "speaking with your wallet", then what is it when you buy an electric bike? Congrats, and cool write-up. I'll be...
So if buying a 2-stroke is "speaking with your wallet", then what is it when you buy an electric bike?

Congrats, and cool write-up. I'll be looking forward to hearing some more feedback on the bike. I'm very intrigued.
Selling your soul to your wallet? That's how I'd feel after paying for one of those Alta's haha.

Congrats on the bike and thanks for the writeup, OP.
2T42
6/5/2017 1:13pm
Speak with your outlet
DoctorJD
6/5/2017 1:17pm
2T42 wrote:
Speak with your outlet
Yes. This is it.
cwtoyota
6/5/2017 1:22pm
I spent a little time at Hangtown talking to the girl promoting Alta in the vendor area. It's an interesting bike.
Would you be willing to do a quick test with a bathroom scale?

1) Put the scale on a motorcycle stand, milk crate or bucket.
2) Measure the height from the floor to the scale.
3) Lean the bike over so that the end of the handlebar is pushing down on the scale.

I've done this with a few different bikes. It's interesting to see where the weight is at (high or low).
The height of the handlebar from the ground (at ride height) and a bunch of other factors have a part to play, but I've seen a direct correlation to the weight you feel when you ride.

For example, my YZ125 was the lightest leaned over weight I've tested and was substantially lighter than anything else.

I had a '14 YZ450F for a little while and although it was 25 pounds heavier than my two smoke YZ250, it had only a little more weight on the handlebar when you leaned it onto that scale.

The heaviest bike I've checked was my buddy's 2013 KX450F with A-Kit spring forks. On the track, that '13 felt a LOT heavier than the YZ450F and it showed in this simple scale test.
Camp332
6/5/2017 1:32pm
Well this is a cool report all around. I want one, but don't have the wallet size.
6/5/2017 1:32pm
Very cool. Normally I wouldn't read a post that long on a msg board but this made me happy the whole time. Keep the updates coming!
mxridr
6/5/2017 1:38pm
Wow that sounds fantastic, great write up!

Post a reply to: My 2017 Alta Redshift MX...

The Latest