My 2017 Alta Redshift MX - Palmyra, NY motocross race

ben990
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 9:17am
HEY! This is ben990! What's up guys? ... Sorry, GuyB, and others, I will never do that again.

Last Sunday it was time to race the Alta Redshift MX again at Hogback Hill, in Palmyra, New York.

On the way out there, my son and I got dumped on with a huge rain storm, and then to top it off, Dunkin Donuts forgot to put sausage on my sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. WTF?! I did not like the way this day was starting.

The rain let up just as we got to the track, but it was really wet and muddy. I kept on telling my son, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad attitudes, but I wasn't sure I believed it.

I signed up for +50, +40B, and +30B, the three fastest and most competitive classes offered (except for a bunch of other classes). Here is how my day went:

Practice - I did one lap of practice, on my 2016 Yamaha YZ450, because it was really muddy and slick, and I wanted to preserve my new plastic and graphics on my Alta, that have only been on for a week now. I pulled off after one lap, because the track was so muddy and it was not productive.

+30B - I did this on my 2016 Yamaha YZ450, as the track was still soft and muddy. Geez, these 4-stroke things are loud. Nice suspension, though! I slithered through 4 laps.

+50 - I did this on the Alta. I put it in Map 4, and the gate dropped, I twisted the loud (I mean quiet) handle on the right, and BAM! Holeshot! I led for about half a lap, and then got passed. I wasn't doing two big jumps that a couple of other riders were, but I keep telling myself, slow and steady wins the race... except in motocross. Sigh.

+40B - I also did this on the Alta. I put it in Map 4, and the gate dropped, I twisted the loud (I mean quiet) handle on the right, and BAM! Holeshot! Or almost. A CR450 edged me oput going into the first turn, and I had to settle for second in the holeshot.

+30B - On the Alta. I got a good start, but those young 30 year olds send it over some of the jumps. I keep on telling myself, wait until you are +50, and see how you send it then! Sometimes I wish it was like REM in California, where you can drop down a ranking if you race a class 10 years younger than your age - I could do +50B, +40C, and +30D... I think I could mop up that +30D class!

+50 - On the Alta again, and I pulled a nice holeshot again, thank you Alta map 4!

+40B - I bagged this, because I was tired and cranky,

My best class results of the day were in +50 - I ended up getting 2nd overall, good enough for a sweet plaque, that will help collect dust in my house for the next several years. And the best part of the day was that I got a $50 Hoselton Holeshot Award for my +50 holeshot in the first moto! Sweet! My first big check ever! I wanted to keep the $50 big check and put it in my office on display, but they insisted that I take $50 cash instead. I offered them $50 to let me take the check, but they refused.

Only 299 more holeshot awards and the bike will be paid for!

The Alta worked perfectly for the four motos I did on it. Each of my motos on the Alta use a little more than a 1/3 of the battery, and I have this charging thing down pat with my relatively quiet 220v generator. I just need to see if there is some sort of software upgrade to the Alta that has a map setting that will lower my sense of self-preservation so that I will "send it" more.

I am now at 714 miles and 56.8 hours on this thing, with no top-end job in sight!

Should I change the oil when I get to 3000 miles, like my truck?

This is usually when I sell my 4-stroke...

|
10/11/2017 8:12am
Thanks for the info on the Alta, and well done on the racing!.

Great to see awesome results from a few people now who own these, just wish they would sell over here in the U.K.

With the amount of people moaning due to noise at my local track, and in general it might come too late for us here.

Anyway, well done that man & Bike!.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/11/2017 8:17am
No offence but shouldn't this be posted in the Electric Bikes sub-forum? It's there for a reason, no?
tingo
10/11/2017 8:36am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
No offence but shouldn't this be posted in the Electric Bikes sub-forum? It's there for a reason, no?
The OPs post couldn't be more "moto-related." I enjoyed reading it.

"No offence, but..." Whistling

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/11/2017 8:47am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
tingo wrote:

Well, I was just saying Vital created the Electric Bikes sub-forum for a reason so might as well post it there. Pretty sure they use to have a gaming sub-forum but took it away and that's why we see a lot of post about gaming in moto related. Should maybe bring that sub-forum back?

Personally, I don't care. I just think things should be posted in their related category that's all.

I have absolutely no interest in electric bikes. What the OP posted could very well be moto-related but I don't know since I didn't read it. Only thing I know is that Alta needs a new designer.

Carry on.
DYE
10/11/2017 8:50am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
tingo wrote:

Exactly, its moto on an ebike. Thanks for taking the time to post. I never check the sub-forum and would never see this if not here... love the opening line Grinning
RangerLee
10/11/2017 9:16am
Fits perfect here, I cannot remember the time I went to any of the other forums on this board, just moto-related and what do you know, he raced several motos :D
mtnr
10/11/2017 9:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
No offense, but he is talking about racing motocross, on an American made motocross bike. You don't like American made motocross bikes or what? Love these updates keep them coming!
10/11/2017 10:07am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
tingo wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well, I was just saying Vital created the Electric Bikes sub-forum for a reason so might as well post it there. Pretty sure they use to...
Well, I was just saying Vital created the Electric Bikes sub-forum for a reason so might as well post it there. Pretty sure they use to have a gaming sub-forum but took it away and that's why we see a lot of post about gaming in moto related. Should maybe bring that sub-forum back?

Personally, I don't care. I just think things should be posted in their related category that's all.

I have absolutely no interest in electric bikes. What the OP posted could very well be moto-related but I don't know since I didn't read it. Only thing I know is that Alta needs a new designer.

Carry on.
You’re drowning in ankle deep water, Mav.
Johnny Depp
10/11/2017 10:12am
Ben Bump. Enjoyed the content as always.

The electric forum has 24 topics in about a year. That is the morgue.
Bultaco
10/11/2017 10:29am
Right on!! Good for you.

Actually talking about racing motocross in a "Moto-Related" forum. What is this world coming to. ;-)

Whymee
10/11/2017 12:42pm
I keep telling myself I will add one of these to my stable if a dealer pops up close to me. I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Keep those e-bike updates coming. I enjoy 'em!
mxstate
10/11/2017 2:37pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
mtnr wrote:
No offense, but he is talking about racing motocross, on an American made motocross bike. You don't like American made motocross bikes or what? Love these...
No offense, but he is talking about racing motocross, on an American made motocross bike. You don't like American made motocross bikes or what? Love these updates keep them coming!
100% moto.
+1 to see more updates

Congrats Ben990!
I like your writing style too, The Dunkin story set the tone!
I'd like to hear more details about real life autonomy (charge time/laps/distance vs load /type of dirt/track layout)

I'm thinking about adding one to my stable but not sure about FL sand impact on engine/battery load
Vet C, 200 lb , slow, MX practice. Ideally I'd like to put a full charge and go for my Saturday (Or Sunday) MX fix and not have to recharge before I pack)

Should ride one soon but it will be limited time as the owner (a friend) will ride too (and some who might ask him)

Yes there's an e-bike forum but let's not get too stiff here..
ben990
10/11/2017 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 9:15am
I will keep the posts and updates coming, with more details regarding real life autonomy. I plan on racing it this coming Sunday at a Cato, NY motocross race, in all of the Pro-A-Expert classes... OK, maybe just in the +30, +40, and +50B classes. I might try and find a Go-Pro and wear it for a moto. And I will give Dunkin another try on my way to this race.

mxstate, as a vet c rider, I would think that you would get about two 20 minute practice sessions in before you would have to recharge. You need to try an Alta soon, and you will have a big smile on your face - these things rip and are a blast to ride!

mark911
10/12/2017 2:05am
Ben,
Just a heads up. The front hub on the Alta is not quite the same as a KTM hub. The Alta disk is moved outboard about 5mm. What does that mean? If you are considering WP Cone Valve or AER forks made for a KTM you might need to get a new front wheel. I found out the hard way!
TomC31
10/12/2017 4:02am
Love the story and the review! All the best!
JB 19
10/12/2017 6:23am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Hey Nancy, why so negative?
Johnny Depp
10/12/2017 6:55am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 6:55am
mark911 wrote:
Ben, Just a heads up. The front hub on the Alta is not quite the same as a KTM hub. The Alta disk is moved outboard...
Ben,
Just a heads up. The front hub on the Alta is not quite the same as a KTM hub. The Alta disk is moved outboard about 5mm. What does that mean? If you are considering WP Cone Valve or AER forks made for a KTM you might need to get a new front wheel. I found out the hard way!
ahem, did you forget something? Sounds like a new thread, Cone valves on the Alta! Photos please..
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
10/12/2017 7:06am
Have you put the Trax Shock on yet?
jmx411
10/12/2017 7:30am
I heard Alta bikes are for Liberals.
ben990
10/12/2017 9:14am
CrGuy2T, yes, I put the WP Trax shock on, and I practiced once on it, and used it at the race last Sunday. I did put a heavier spring on it than the one you shipped it with. I think it worked great, and I am happy I bought it. It seemed to soak up both the small and big stuff better than my stock shock with a heavier spring. The bike also seemed to ride taller in the back, not squatting so much, and it also didn't wallow, which I like.

I am running 100mm of race sag, but I want to experiment with different sag settings, as well as different clicker adjustments. And what is nice is that I can test behind my house without pissing off the neighbors... if it ever stops raining here, dammit! And the XTrig adjuster on te shock makes it so easy to change the preload - an 8mm T-handle on the adjuster bolt and you can easily turn it any way. It is so much easier than using a hammer and punch on those caveman metal adjuster rings!

mark911, thanks for the heads up on the forks. I have a few KTM wheels in the workshop after racing them for several years, and still owning a KTM 300, so hopefully I will already have a wheel that will work.

jmx411, um, uh, ... sorry. I got nothin'.

Post a reply to: My 2017 Alta Redshift MX - Palmyra, NY motocross race

The Latest