My 2017 Alta Redshift MX - Spring Break

ben990
Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 10:27pm
Last week my son and I made our spring break a dirt-bike spring break. We were driving from NY to Arkansas to visit my mom, so we brought the trailer packed with dirt bikes and mountain bikes, and made some stops along the way.

Our first stop was at Mega Cavern in Louisville, Kentucky, for underground mountain biking. Yeah, that's right, underground mountain biking. Over 320,000 square feet including over 45 trails, Jump Lines, Pump Tracks, Dual Slalom, BMX, Cross Country and Single Track all in a former limestone cavern 100 feet sub-surface. A little pricey, but pretty cool.

Our next stop was the next day at Wooly's Offroad in Tennessee.

Some folks here ain't never heard of a 'lectric motorsickle before

It was a very cool place to ride. You pay $15 per person and you can ride all day. I rode the Alta and my son rode his Kawasaki KX85. Most of the people there were on quads and side by sides, but there were a couple other dirt bikes there.

All went well and we were having fun... until the "sippy hole" incident. I get the term "sippy hole" from one of my (redneck) friends who uses it to describe big mud holes. My dumb-ass son, who had been riding well all day, decides to go through a 6" deep puddle that a bunch of Jeeps have been playing around in all day. The only problem was that it wasn't 6" deep. It was about 4 feet deep! He hit it and went over the bars, and for a second he and his bike were completely submerged! He popped up out of the sippy hole, gasping for breath. One of the Jeep owners was very nice and he used a tow strap and his Jeep to pull the bike out of the sippy hole.

Before sippy hole

After sippy hole

Not good. We continued on to my mom's house in Arkansas, and when we got there we started taking the bike apart. After pressure-washing it, I pulled the tank off and flipped the bike upside down, and took out the spark plug. A bunch of brown sludge came out. Yikes. Here is what the air box looked like:

I think it is good for one more ride...

Not good, but my mom has a Yamaha TTR-125 for the grand-kids to ride, so we were still in business. While we were in Arkansas, we went to the Ouachita Forrest Wolf Pen Gap to ride:

Out in the middle of nowhere

The cost for this? Free! Miles and miles of trails. One nice thing about the Alta is that when I am riding ahead of my son, I can hear him behind me, I don't have to keep looking back constantly to see if he is keeping up, or lost in a sippy hole or something.

TTR-125 Substitute

Note that in the above photo the bent clutch lever is from another grand kid.

Our last riding stop was on the way home, at Switchback MX in Butler, Pennsylvania. This place is awesome! I wasn't doing a few of the bigger jumps, because I had forgotten to pack my balls, but it was still fun.

Indoor mx... no sippy holes

Cade Clason (a very fast pro) was riding there too, a quick stop on his way to or from some Arenacross races. A couple times it was just me and him out on the track at the same time. I like to think I helped him work on his passing skills. I was impressed, watching him put together jump sections that never even occurred to me.

Here is a video my son put together from Switchback MX. Some of the footage is from a drone that my mom gave him when we visited:

https://youtu.be/NBRfIEv5Ktw
(Note to self - I gotta speed up the footage somehow!)

I now have 1103.1 miles and 91.1 hours on my Alta, and she still runs like new. I am glad it is relatively maintenance free, because now all of my efforts will have to go towards my son's KX85!
|
Johnny Depp
4/8/2018 3:39pm
I bet that Alta could have handled the submarine mud pit. You might want to let somebody else prove it though. Nice post.
snydes
4/9/2018 2:08am
Sounds like jr found the Woolys swamp....

Great post, motorcycle trips are the best!
motomike137
4/9/2018 3:41am
Sounds like a great time! Would love to hear more intricate details about your time with the bike.

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
4/9/2018 4:33am
How did you charge the bike on the road? Nice post
ben990
4/9/2018 5:13am
It was a great time! I forgot to add that another cool thing we did was to stop at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky. In addition to going through the museum, my son and I did 4 laps on their race track in a 2017 Corvette, following a pace car. It was pretty cool, but I think my Alta would beat it out of the hole from 0 to 60 mph. Smile

I brought my 240v generator with me in the trailer to charge the Alta, but I never used it. Trail rides don't drain the battery too much, and I just plugged the Alta in at my mom's house to recharge it.

At Switchback MX, I did four 15-20 minute motos, three on the Alta and one on another bike, and I had enough battery to probably do another moto on the Alta, but my own personal human battery was spent. Smile

An outdoor motocross track, with higher speeds and hills, drains the battery a little faster. I also usually use map 3 for a fast outdoor motocross track, while I preferred map 2 for the indoor track.

Ted722
4/9/2018 10:27pm
That's a heck of a Spring break! I saw a dirty air filter. Tell me Dad was charging his scoot (and sipping on his favorite beverage) while Junior was cleaning the filter for the next ride. Has he asked about an E-bike yet?
rongi#401
4/9/2018 11:18pm
My biggest fear is crashing into mud and drowning. Glad he wasn't lawn darted in there. Scarry
ben990
4/10/2018 7:11am
Ted722 wrote:
That's a heck of a Spring break! I saw a dirty air filter. Tell me Dad was charging his scoot (and sipping on his favorite beverage)...
That's a heck of a Spring break! I saw a dirty air filter. Tell me Dad was charging his scoot (and sipping on his favorite beverage) while Junior was cleaning the filter for the next ride. Has he asked about an E-bike yet?
Yeah, it was a great spring break. Junior has quite a bit of bike and gear cleaning to do, and perhaps he will learn how to do a new top end on his KX85! Meanwhile, I have some big maintenance coming up on my Alta ... time to change out the front brake pads. Smile

Junior has ridden the Alta, and he loves it. He wants me to get a 2018 Alta Redshift MXR so he can have the 2017 Alta Redshift MX, but I think he needs more quality time (more riding/racing with less sippy hole) on the 85 before that happens.

Post a reply to: My 2017 Alta Redshift MX - Spring Break

The Latest