My God GL, let the guest finish his answer/thoughts!!!! (Adressed in the Lamson Int.. :)

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
11/14/2019 9:42am
I am a fan of the show and have listened to every episode. Some episodes are great, others are just good. The interview with Trey may...
I am a fan of the show and have listened to every episode.

Some episodes are great, others are just good. The interview with Trey may have been criticized for being good but perhaps a little "dry" if GL hadn't played his part in the show. It is entertainment for us motoheads and I appreciate that it is produced.

You may not like every show, but as GL said in this last episode, "be careful what you wish for". You might wind up with a boring show if GL stopped being GL.

my .02
I agree with what you are saying but cutting off the guest before he is through speaking his thought is not great radio bros.
tingo
11/14/2019 10:10am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2019 10:35am
hamncheeze wrote:
I guess until we can complain about Ralph and RC we'll complain about GL on HIS show. And of course Matthes too, if he eats anything...
I guess until we can complain about Ralph and RC we'll complain about GL on HIS show. And of course Matthes too, if he eats anything while on air. This stuff is all FREE content. You are not paying a penny. If you don't like it don't listen. If you hate GL but really want to hear the guest of the week, suck it up and listen and do your best with GL.

Personally, I love Grant. He's a great commentator at live racing and he has an enthusiasm and zeal for life that many don't. He keeps it positive and fun, and given the circumstances life dealt him he could easily be a jaded bitter guy who wants nothing to do with moto.
Terrible logic. We can like the show AND want it to be better. The interruptions are unprofessional, rude, and too often prevent the guests from sharing part of their story, which is the entire reason for having them on to begin with. It's not a unique solution, but if he were to simply pause and listen before speaking, we might hear a lot more of what __insert guest here__ has to say.

I like Grant, too, and agree that he's a great commentator (maybe that's part of the problem?); however, those two things, along with his "zeal for life," have nothing to do with this thread.
toomanykaws
11/14/2019 11:09am
Often only get one chance to interview some of the guests, GL has cut off so many guests. Roger Decoster episode was bad. Doug Henry episode. Bones. So many.
When Vital MX started their pod. Give you an example of a really well done interview. Was Broc Glover. Split into two episodes. All sorts stuff I never heard before, And for any MX/SX fan of the 70-80s. It was great in my opinion.
I know interviewing isn't easy. And difficult to keep it on the timeline of the persons career. The ones that do make getting a more complete story so much better to listen to.

Am sure they will keep making improvements. Still one my favorite pods.
11/14/2019 11:54am
Looby321 wrote:
Pretty sure Ping visits regularly.
ti473 wrote:
yeah I mean, he works for his site now
But complaining on this site behind a username is just being a keyboard warrior!
You got a problem with what he does- go shoot him an e-mail with your real name signed at the bottom of it.

When a complaint is made here it’s a bandwagon- people jumpin on it from every direction!

The Shop

Tbteam
11/14/2019 12:40pm
When Bailey was on, there was one moment that was really getting into some serious emotional stuff, and just as it's really getting deep, GL blurts out 'Sorry, I've got to go pee."

I was pissed, and he needs to calm the drinking down so that he can actually engage in the interview without needing an individual bathroom break.
tingo
11/14/2019 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2019 1:12pm
But complaining on this site behind a username is just being a keyboard warrior! You got a problem with what he does- go shoot him an...
But complaining on this site behind a username is just being a keyboard warrior!
You got a problem with what he does- go shoot him an e-mail with your real name signed at the bottom of it.

When a complaint is made here it’s a bandwagon- people jumpin on it from every direction!
You’re not wrong, but there is an obvious, albeit anonymous, consensus here that isn’t wrong either. It’s a fact that he does it. I don’t think anybody is trying to bully the guy, but rather raise awareness (and he will see or hear about this thread) so he can improve. As others have mentioned, they do a great job bringing in so many awesome guests. To step on them and tell his version of their story is just a damned shame. See specific examples above.

Imma let you finish, but...
sam hain
11/14/2019 1:16pm
tingo wrote:
You’re not wrong, but there is an obvious, albeit anonymous, consensus here that isn’t wrong either. It’s a fact that he does it. I don’t think...
You’re not wrong, but there is an obvious, albeit anonymous, consensus here that isn’t wrong either. It’s a fact that he does it. I don’t think anybody is trying to bully the guy, but rather raise awareness (and he will see or hear about this thread) so he can improve. As others have mentioned, they do a great job bringing in so many awesome guests. To step on them and tell his version of their story is just a damned shame. See specific examples above.

Imma let you finish, but...
I'll be surprised if this thread lasts long enough for GL to see/hear about it. Vital doesn't allow bashing of certain industry insiders.
11/14/2019 1:38pm
100% agree with the OP

Ping is very articulate and asks good questions and gets the conversation flowing,just as the guest starts answering,in comes GL with a story about himself!! So pisses me off

The Doug Henry was the one I looked forward to most,holy shit how I managed to listen to it all I will never know.
He had,and started to tell very deep,interesting stories that he just didnt get chance to finish due to GL ruining the thread of the conversation constantly.This was the most disapointing interview/podcast Ive ever listened to

As a listener its so frustrating,I get it GL has had a great life and has lots to say,but let the GUEST talk and tell their stories FFS!!!

GL is a great guy,but he shouldnt be on a radio show,Ping could carry it on his own easily

11/14/2019 2:18pm
If GL & Ping want to do a podcast together and chew the fat over current Moto affairs that’s cool. But if there’s a star guest coming in to tell his story, does it really require two interviewers?
zippytech
11/14/2019 2:24pm
My guess is he is not really listening to the person.
BAD10
11/14/2019 2:48pm
I really enjoy the show and love Ping and GL, but the interruptions can be bothersome sometimes. Neverthless, the show is great. However, the interview with Pete Steinbrecker (sp?) at the end of the Doug Henry podcast was utterly painful and frustrating, which was no fault of GL's. Pete just couldn't seem to spit his thoughts out....ugh it was brutal I had to turn it off.
Hudd_421
11/14/2019 2:55pm
I think Grant is great to have as an interviewer when it comes to bike testing, team environment, racing outlook type questions. He seems to relate and ask good questions to get the guest to elaborate more. But during the story telling parts, he can be painful trying to interject some drunken humor.

Grant is perfect when its an open dialogue and they're BSing and I usually get a kick out of what he has to say in those scenarios.

My critique of the WT show, is the phone calls after the guests are on...the first 2 minutes is painful "hey how are you" blah blah, and usually the sound quality is trash. I can do without that segment.

Never the less, I really enjoy the Podcasts and the humor. Always room for slight improvement.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
11/14/2019 3:46pm
But complaining on this site behind a username is just being a keyboard warrior! You got a problem with what he does- go shoot him an...

Well since Ping now "works" at vital, maybe it will not be taken as bandwagon complaining, but that many people have the same opinion. I don't think one person said the podcast sucks, just that GL really needs to work on not interjecting himself in the conversation every couple of minutes
SPODEBOY
11/14/2019 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2019 3:55pm
Love GL but yes both TC41 and PING were having to back it down a bunch when there were so many opportunities to let TC just talk interrupted by GL. This episode was the worst.

Matthes does this alot too.
dpingree101
11/14/2019 10:58pm
Hey guys, for the record... I hear what you're saying. Or typing, in this case. I've mentioned this to GL before, and I'll do so again, or maybe just have him look at this thread. In his defense, it feels like three guys shooting the sh!t more than it does a formal interview, so maybe that's why he steps on people at times. And I've noticed it more when listening to the podcast back, not so much when you watch it on YouTube because you feel like you're part of the back and forth.
Anyway, your comments have been noted and I'll try to make it better.
Thanks for tuning in!

PING
mxmaniac
11/14/2019 11:38pm
Ping, I hope GL feels the feedback is aimed at being constructive, GL adds plenty of character and insight to the show with his experience worldwide.
Keep it up fellas
rangot
11/15/2019 3:12am
I agree with most. GL is good on the broadcast, terrible on the WT. Correction, he was good on one : his own story.
Hudd_421
11/15/2019 9:14am
Hey guys, for the record... I hear what you're saying. Or typing, in this case. I've mentioned this to GL before, and I'll do so again...
Hey guys, for the record... I hear what you're saying. Or typing, in this case. I've mentioned this to GL before, and I'll do so again, or maybe just have him look at this thread. In his defense, it feels like three guys shooting the sh!t more than it does a formal interview, so maybe that's why he steps on people at times. And I've noticed it more when listening to the podcast back, not so much when you watch it on YouTube because you feel like you're part of the back and forth.
Thanks for tuning in!

PING
Hey Ping,

I'd be interested to hear your take on this. You guys do these in front of a crowd and are pretty interactive with them. Do you think the dynamic of "performing" and being up on a state gets lost in the audio via podcast?

I can see how Grant's zingers playing really well with the crowd, but since listeners aren't there, they don't feel or see him working and playing off the audience.

I forget it's a LIVE show, and I probably bet most people in the audience don't notice and really enjoy everything.
Hudd_421
11/15/2019 9:17am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2019 9:18am
Couldn't resistGrinningGrinning Love you GLWink
rk337
11/15/2019 10:12am
yak651 wrote:
Yep, I like the concept of WT, like GL's personality and experiences, but interrupts way too much. I felt Trey was going to expand on the...
Yep, I like the concept of WT, like GL's personality and experiences, but interrupts way too much. I felt Trey was going to expand on the safety issues and also with his wife but GL interrupted and then the train of thought was gone and moved on to the next subject. Probably will continue to listen but if no change assume will not continue to listen to full episodes (either FF or just delete after it gets too annoying).

Side note, what is the intro song?
Volbeat, Still Counting. One of the cool things I thought of the show as well, downloaded a bunch from that band and getting into them
moto9
11/15/2019 10:57am
RCN4HIM wrote:
I've been struggling big time with GL interrupting the guests on the Whisky Throttle podcasts since the beginning but the latest one with Trey Canard had...
I've been struggling big time with GL interrupting the guests on the Whisky Throttle podcasts since the beginning but the latest one with Trey Canard had put me over the edge...

#canttakeitanylonger
I've been thinking the same thing since ever I started listening to the WT show.
Just personally...I rated the 4 cast that I listen to and this is what I think.
WT....
Is pretty good, ping carries the show well and I like how he formats the interview with starting from childhood on up, he's a pretty good speaker and easy to listen to.
however
GL interrupts way too much with is own story and runs it way too long, It's ok to do it occasionally but keep it short....let the person being interviewed talk.
Main event moto
I think it's all good, but I do think they should take calls from listeners, callers really adds depth, character and personality to a show .
Zack's cast, he does the same thing as GL, interrupts way too much with his own stories that run on too long and he says "um" too much.
Pulp MX, I have to say is my favorite, Steve adds a lot of variety to his show which keeps it interesting.
He's a good speaker, he's not afraid to ask tough questions, my only negative is sometimes he's a dick.
But it's his show he can do what ever the f&%k he wants.
1.Pulp
2.Main event
3.WT
4.Shifting Gears
hamncheeze
11/15/2019 11:22am
Hey guys, for the record... I hear what you're saying. Or typing, in this case. I've mentioned this to GL before, and I'll do so again...
Thanks for tuning in!

PING
Keep up the good work Ping. I took heavy Vital downvoting for saying people just need to suck it up and enjoy your free content, which was in no way saying you guys should just stand pat and not try to do better. The downvoting has been brutal....my mental coach is booked up all week and I'm in a real state now.
11/19/2019 4:47am
I think Ping needs to do a show with GL and let him get his stories off his chest he is dying to tell them and I would love to hear them just not in front of the actual guest on the show.

and yes what is the opening song?
bierbower105
11/19/2019 4:59am
SLOWTIME wrote:
Still better than the pulp review show!
In darksides defense a podcast about a podcast is really really dumb idea.
Natester551v
11/19/2019 5:27am
526 wrote:
I think Ping needs to do a show with GL and let him get his stories off his chest he is dying to tell them and...
I think Ping needs to do a show with GL and let him get his stories off his chest he is dying to tell them and I would love to hear them just not in front of the actual guest on the show.

hubbardmx50
11/19/2019 10:16am
526 wrote:
I think Ping needs to do a show with GL and let him get his stories off his chest he is dying to tell them and...

Volbeat - A Warrior’s Call
11/19/2019 11:30am
GL was one of the first shows, and Ping still hasn't told his own story. That pretty much sums up how they are as hosts.
11/19/2019 12:42pm
526 wrote:

Doh !!!!! Guess he is just a blow hard and likes to hear himself talk my Bad LOLOL
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/19/2019 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2019 4:14pm
I Noticed this on a couple of the episode's also, And Zack Osborne does it big time too on his podcast.
A couple Times I've literally said out Loud to myself NOOOO I wanted to hear what he was Gonna Say.

Post a reply to: My God GL, let the guest finish his answer/thoughts!!!! (Adressed in the Lamson Int.. :)

The Latest