My Wife's Brutal Truth About My Motocross Racing & Bikes...

Zoom
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 10:18pm
Thought I would share this story from a couple of years ago.

Little background. We have been married for 35 years. We were dating when I was a pro back in the mid 80's. More recently she helped train two of our kids when they went to Lorettta's a few years ago. She know what's up at the track.

I was riding in the Over 50 class at the Texas Winter Series at Freestone on my 450 KTM. The announcers where having a bunch of fun hyping up the class as the "rematch from the 84 Houston SX" as I was lined up with my buddy Mike Clement.

Clem and I had many good battles back in the day. I won some, but Clem won most of them. I always gave him a hard time for beating him in the semi in the 84 Houston SX and getting the last transfer spot to the LCQ. 84 was the last year of just one class in SX and they allowed 72 riders to the night show. So making to the LCQ was a goal for some of us "local pro's."

We had about 12 riders at Freestone that day and Clem pulled the holeshot with me in second. We finished the first lap about a bike length apart. About mid way around the second lap I was able to pull next to Clem and had the inside for the next turn. With the pass made I hit the brakes going to the inside and stalled the bike. I had a Rekluse clutch which is almost impossible to stall, but I some how managed to stall it. I immediately start pushing the e start button and eventually run down the battery. You can't push start a bike with a Rekluse clutch!

With the help of a friend I pushed the bike back to the pits. As I start peeling off my gear, this is what my wife says, "That was the worse I have ever seen you ride. I was embarrassed. After the first lap I quit watching." I agreed that I was fighting the bike in the long and deep Freestone ruts and felt like a goon.

Fast forward a few weeks later. We were at the track and my 450 had some problems. I ended up riding our sons 250F. When I came in my wife says, "You look a lot better on Ethan's bike, why don't you get a smaller bike?" I told her that I like to get good starts and didn't feel like I would on a 250F against the 450's. She replied with, "You are a good starter on anything. It's the Over 50 class. All you have to do is get the jump on those guys."

She got me to thinking, and I decided it would be a good idea to jump down a size or two. I ended up getting a 125 and loved it. Pulled many holeshots on it and even qualified for Loretta's on it in 2017.

I was working for Alta as Regional Sales Manager I was still riding and racing my 125. I loved the Alta but it would heat up after a few laps on tracks that put a heavy load on the battery and the suspension was really soft. Then the 2018 Alta came out which lasted longer and the suspension was much better. I really became more and more used to the Alta and was starting to race it with good results and was having a lot of fun riding it.

I told my wife I was going to sell my 125. She told me NOT to sell it, because she knew how much I loved it too. I told her it didn't look good when the Alta rep was riding a non Alta, plus I was going to be Alta for life. Not taking her advice, I sold the 125. About 8 months later Alta ran out of money and shut down.

It's amazing that when I met her she didn't even know what motocross was.
|
Ted722
2/18/2020 7:38pm
That's a great story Zoom. Jeannie Carmichael watch out! Wink
SEEMEFIRST
2/18/2020 7:46pm
You ever ride Village Creek? I bet I know who you are.
Zoom
2/18/2020 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 7:52pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
You ever ride Village Creek? I bet I know who you are.
I'm originally from the Valley by South Padre. Didn't get up to North Texas that much. Did race at Moiser once and made some trips to Whitney. I moved to Houston after I turned pro and raced more at Whitney, Swan, Wolfe Creek and Burleson. Never raced at Village, but I did ride my Alta on the night track for practice a couple of years ago.

Larry Hughes

The Shop

dimetime
2/18/2020 7:52pm
Not all heros wear capes and not all clairvoyants use crystal balls.

Lucky dog.
brocster
2/18/2020 8:00pm
If you running with Mike Clement you a fast mofo. Very cool story! I am lucky to say that my wife is a similar kind of chic.
Zoom
2/18/2020 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 5:47am
Hey what's up Alex! You just reminded me about another time my wife gave me some moto advice. She told me I should keep one of my Alta's. Like a dummy I sold my last 2018 because I could make some easy fast cash. Man, wish I had that one back! Loved that bike.

Tell Jen hello! Hope to cross paths again soon.
Alex.434
2/18/2020 8:21pm
Zoom wrote:
Hey what's up Alex! You just reminded me about another time my wife gave me some moto advice. She told me I should keep one of...
Hey what's up Alex! You just reminded me about another time my wife gave me some moto advice. She told me I should keep one of my Alta's. Like a dummy I sold my last 2018 because I could make some easy fast cash. Man, wish I had that one back! Loved that bike.

Tell Jen hello! Hope to cross paths again soon.
Will do! Sorry I deleted my original post because I get twitchy about posting too much personal information about Jen... but glad you saw it before I did Smile

Hope we get to cross paths also. Let us know if your travels ever come out this way! Your wife sounds pretty badass also. Cheers.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/18/2020 9:06pm
Awesome story OP! It’s funny how even when it comes to moto, our wives know best. Yours is definitely a keeper.

Mine had been around moto a very little bit until we got together, but since then it’s been almost a daily topic at some point. She shed some tears when I sold my 14 yz450 a few years ago and full on cried when I sold my yz250 last year. Like yours, mine calls me out when I’m riding like crap, even when I haven’t ridden in months 😂. She gets on me about not riding enough when we go practice. I get the, “I didn’t come out here to watch you sit around and do 4 laps at a time. Get your ass back out there.”

We’ve got some special women!
PTshox
2/18/2020 9:17pm
The Alta chassis engineer that worked with Dave Arnold lives down the street from me. He works at Apple now.
FWYT
2/18/2020 9:37pm
langhammx wrote:
You got a KEEPER !!
No kidding!!!
Zoom
2/19/2020 5:46am
PTshox wrote:
The Alta chassis engineer that worked with Dave Arnold lives down the street from me. He works at Apple now.
There were some amazing people with great minds and passion at Alta. I absolutely loved the bike, company and people there.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
2/19/2020 6:09am
I will always remember being around 13 years old at the Houston SX and cheering for Joe Benyak in the 250 LCQ because he ran second for most of the race and was passed on the last lap just missing the main by 1 spot. I think the year was either 94 or 95.
WDSRCR
2/19/2020 6:10am
Reading this story makes me wonder if I should get off the two strokes I love so much and actually buy a four stroke. I borrowed one for a Hare Scramble a year or so back and after the race,my wife mentioned to me that I should get one because she had never seen me ride so good. I dismissed it thinking just the sound it made was so different it made it seem like I was riding differently.

Awesome story!
Chance1216
2/19/2020 6:27am
That’s a great story. I always thought my wife complained too much. Why do you need that? I thought you would only spend X but you spent XY and Z. Then out of nowhere she buys me a Pro Circuit pipe for my bike and it’s waiting on the kitchen table for Valentine’s Day. I didn’t realize she wasn’t nagging, she wanted to know how much things cost since she’s quite thrifty when it comes to finding deals.

Bramlett321
2/19/2020 7:29am
Chance1216 wrote:
That’s a great story. I always thought my wife complained too much. Why do you need that? I thought you would only spend X but you...
That’s a great story. I always thought my wife complained too much. Why do you need that? I thought you would only spend X but you spent XY and Z. Then out of nowhere she buys me a Pro Circuit pipe for my bike and it’s waiting on the kitchen table for Valentine’s Day. I didn’t realize she wasn’t nagging, she wanted to know how much things cost since she’s quite thrifty when it comes to finding deals.

That's pretty funny...I react the same way that you did too. She's a little more outside the box where you and I are like this is what I need and I want it now lol.
Superdave19
2/19/2020 8:13am
Motocross in Texas is better with Larry Hughes around! There's quite a few +50 (Deep in their 50's, some even in their 60's!) guys in the South that are still very active- Moto/MTB, etc.

As I told a good friend last weekend, Age is just a number...Until you hit the ground LoL.

dl117
Fantasy
2577th
2/19/2020 8:58am
Very similar to my bride, she has been on my ass lately to go to the gym and come back to racing, and I may quote...."don't be a pussy about it"
Zoom
2/19/2020 10:10am
Motocross in Texas is better with Larry Hughes around! There's quite a few +50 (Deep in their 50's, some even in their 60's!) guys in the...
Motocross in Texas is better with Larry Hughes around! There's quite a few +50 (Deep in their 50's, some even in their 60's!) guys in the South that are still very active- Moto/MTB, etc.

As I told a good friend last weekend, Age is just a number...Until you hit the ground LoL.

So true Super Dave!!!

See ya soon!!
Moto Norcal
2/19/2020 10:17am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 10:17am
Reminds me of the time I was going to sit out the Amateur AX finals in Vegas after facing a jump in practice and knocking myself silly, and was hurting from some other injuries.
My gf at the time said "Get back on that bike you pussy, I'm not riding all the way home with a guy who hates himself because he gave up."
It worked! I raced.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
2/19/2020 10:19am
Great story, Larry! I have lined up with Mike quite a few times, and probably you as well, but I don't have his or your speed on most days! I won a 50+ race out at Freestone a few years ago, and was so pumped I called my wife on the way home to tell her. Her response was brutal--she said, "What, did no one else show up?" Ouch. She gets me....
Johnny Depp
2/19/2020 10:19am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 10:23am
Good seeing you last week at TJ's Larry!

Here's a story for you, My 1st and only attempt at SX, Houston '80. After 5 years of Montesa's the new models weren't released and I snapped up a KX 250 Uni Trak. 1st practice day transmission problems, get lucky and the factory team is at Kawasaki of Pasadena and they fix it for free. 1 hour on the bike and I show up to practice at the Astrodome. Fish out of water syndrome, nothing at all like the Rio Bravo night track where I was competent. After practice the Kawasaki guys find me again and give me a new uni-trak wishbone (hardened) and say you better swap this out right away. Damn. Almost kill a few people with my toolbox on a 4 wheel dolly going down the ramp into the "domeskeller" pits and can't stop with Scott boots on, hollering to everyone to clear out! Finish the qualifier 16th 1 spot out of the transfer to the night show. Sitting in the stands nearby totally unprepared I hear them calling my number, not realizing I was the 1st alternate, the 2nd alternate was there and got on the gate. Big bummer but almost in the show!
bvm111
2/19/2020 10:24am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 10:32am
My wife doesn’t care about my motorcycle and after 10 years of marriage isn’t interested in learning, which seriously has me doubting my decision to marry this one or anyone for that matter. I’m over 10 years in and will be financially destroyed if I divorce her so I just stay married, tolerate her, and spend my money on my motorcycles. It’s a win win really, I get to spend time away from her at regular intervals and spend my money on what I want to... instead of alimony if I divorce her!
Jaybird67k
2/19/2020 10:30am
Larry is a Awesome guy with an amazing family and he is very fast and smooth on a dirt bike. I have been blessed to race a lot of series with Larry as a promoter back in the +40 A days. I have also raced with him as well as took a few Moto classes from him.

Jason

P.S.
I beat Clement once at Badlands in Beaumont on the back track on a dog of a bike 2011 KTM 350.
Of course he doesn't remember it...….lol.
Three7one
2/19/2020 11:20am
Well...one day after riding at a buddies private track, I came in and said to my wife...damn I smoked everyone today, she looked at me and said sarcastically “congratulations you were the fastest one around the back yard today”..lmao she always kept it real...
JAFO92
2/19/2020 11:55am
Three7one wrote:
Well...one day after riding at a buddies private track, I came in and said to my wife...damn I smoked everyone today, she looked at me and...
Well...one day after riding at a buddies private track, I came in and said to my wife...damn I smoked everyone today, she looked at me and said sarcastically “congratulations you were the fastest one around the back yard today”..lmao she always kept it real...
^ thats hilarious. Laughing

This thread rocks.
Ted722
2/19/2020 12:21pm
bvm111 wrote:
My wife doesn’t care about my motorcycle and after 10 years of marriage isn’t interested in learning, which seriously has me doubting my decision to marry...
My wife doesn’t care about my motorcycle and after 10 years of marriage isn’t interested in learning, which seriously has me doubting my decision to marry this one or anyone for that matter. I’m over 10 years in and will be financially destroyed if I divorce her so I just stay married, tolerate her, and spend my money on my motorcycles. It’s a win win really, I get to spend time away from her at regular intervals and spend my money on what I want to... instead of alimony if I divorce her!
Encourage her to do her own thing too and go watch (or help) her in that endeavor. Whatever the healthiest balance for your relationship is the right answer. It's worth trying to make it the best it can be. Good luck.

My wife's really not that into it anymore either. Which, as time has gone by, is perfectly fine. Marriage, kids, life, etc. Yes, we take the kids riding, she watched me race quite a bit the first 10 years of our relationship/marriage, attended motorsport racing events to spectate, etc., but she likes doing her own thing too.

When we go do our own thing, there's a renewed energy and a certain amount of fulfillment that we bring back into the relationship. It's a win/win. She's very good at reminding me "hey, you haven't ridden your bike in a while." Translation: "You're bouncing off the walls, go out and twist the throttle!" We're 21 years into our marriage now, which I can't believe sometimes. Doesn't feel that long.

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
2/19/2020 12:44pm
I remember racing with you. You left out this part of your story though.

Chance1216
2/19/2020 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 2:37pm
bvm111 wrote:
My wife doesn’t care about my motorcycle and after 10 years of marriage isn’t interested in learning, which seriously has me doubting my decision to marry...
Cheaper to keep her. This July will be twenty years for my marriage. It’s rough at times but, the good outweighs the bad. The one thing I did do was get our son involved riding. Now, I have an excuse to get out of the house and not think twice about it. Spend time with the boy while she does whatever chicks do with our daughter.
clem
2/19/2020 4:33pm
I remember Mike from the 90's. Super smooth and could rail a rut like nobody's bussiness. I never realized that he was this well known. I remember him pronoucing his last name a little different than I did with me being from South Louisiana. Haha

Post a reply to: My Wife's Brutal Truth About My Motocross Racing & Bikes...

The Latest