NBC Broadcast, Ralph vs. Diffey

APerry151
Curious to know the thinking on Ralph’s replacement for the first few rounds. I don’t really watch other motorsports (don’t have the time) so I haven’t seen Diffey’s work but by all accounts he’s an excellent broadcaster.

I know he has roots in moto but his other gigs are much much bigger. He’s not coming to do SX full time, so why bother with the first three rounds then? Wondering what NBC’s thinking is on this decision. If they’re thinking of replacing Ralph, why not try someone who could actually take the full-time job? Just seems a bit odd to me.
|
Melicar
1/4/2020 8:47am
Someone posted this in another thread and I think he'll do just fine. Have a listen for yourself!

Press516
Fantasy
126th
1/4/2020 8:47am
It is odd... Diffey is pretty good, but I'm not aware of how in tune he is with motocross/supercross. I'm watching with an open, but curious mind.
Goofy Foot
1/4/2020 8:53am
It’s a test to see how his voice blends with supercross...I reckon it will e a good match. The Australian accent gives more character and tends to grab attention of more viewers
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
1/4/2020 8:54am
Leigh is on point with about anything that chases a checkered flag. Very personable and easy to talk too. He'll be fine.

The Shop

SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
1/4/2020 9:12am
I enjoy listening to Leigh. Love his work at Le Mans ant the Rolex 24!
Racer111
1/4/2020 9:15am
WHY is Ralph out for the first 3 rounds? Anyone know?
APerry151
1/4/2020 9:25am
Racer111 wrote:
WHY is Ralph out for the first 3 rounds? Anyone know?
I forget which podcast, but one of them mentioned that this wasn't about a scheduling conflict or anything like that, and it wasn't Ralph's decision. Seems to me like there was no real reason other than that's what NBC wanted.
APerry151
1/4/2020 9:28am
Goofy Foot wrote:
It’s a test to see how his voice blends with supercross...I reckon it will e a good match. The Australian accent gives more character and tends...
It’s a test to see how his voice blends with supercross...I reckon it will e a good match. The Australian accent gives more character and tends to grab attention of more viewers
A test for what, exactly? That's kind of my whole point. Leigh isn't leaving his current gigs behind to come call the supercross races. Maybe they just know Leigh is better and will take what they can get even if it's just for three rounds? What if he's incredible and then we have to go back to Ralph for the final 14?
brimx153
1/4/2020 10:17am
He has a very very very very very very low bar to be better than Ralph. I can never understand why people make excuses for Ralph here . He is a terrible and embarrassing part of our sport.
kage173
1/4/2020 10:34am
I like Ralph. The guy knows motorsports and is truly a professional announcer with decades of experience. People may disagree with the tactics that the broadcast team use (e.g. green kawasaki,) to focus on new viewers but Ralph himself is very good.

But either way, I dont get the obsession with the broadcast teams. They could have a donkey braying the whole time for all I care. I turn it on to watch the gnarliest racers in the world race, not grade announcers on broadcasting.
nickp
1/4/2020 10:41am
Leigh Diffey damn good at his job and does his homework He was great when NBC had F1 and he does great in indycar
gym_jackets
1/4/2020 11:59am
kage173 wrote:
I like Ralph. The guy knows motorsports and is truly a professional announcer with decades of experience. People may disagree with the tactics that the broadcast...
I like Ralph. The guy knows motorsports and is truly a professional announcer with decades of experience. People may disagree with the tactics that the broadcast team use (e.g. green kawasaki,) to focus on new viewers but Ralph himself is very good.

But either way, I dont get the obsession with the broadcast teams. They could have a donkey braying the whole time for all I care. I turn it on to watch the gnarliest racers in the world race, not grade announcers on broadcasting.
I can only speak for myself, so I won't try putting words into anyone's mouth, but I harp on the broadcast team because of the massive disparity between the show on the track and the show in the booth. I'm a racing fan, first and foremost. I'm not a fan of supercross and motocross because I love riding, or because my family was into it (I've never even touched a dirtbike in my life). I was drawn in by the racing on the track, and it is BY FAR the best racing in the world. Period. There is passing, there is contact, there is danger, the winner is almost always guaranteed to make passes to earn their position. And it is ALL IN THE RIDERS HANDS. There is no one in their ear coaching them, there are barely any team orders, the only connection a rider has out of the track is a tiny pitboard that reads laptimes and "P U S H". If you show the racing in Supercross to anybody with an open mind to racing of any kind, they will immediately see the value in it. The racing is phenomenal. And then they have to listen to Ralph miss calls, Ricky stumble over his words, and the camera director miss passes and exciting moments, while the viewer at home hears the crowd in the stadium LOSING THEIR FUCKING MINDS and then the camera cuts to a rider laying on the track 25 seconds later. The broadcast team is AMATEUR HOUR compared to the athletes on the track, and it does a disservice to anybody with a vested interest in the success of the sport. Whether that be riders, teams, or fans.
brimx153
1/4/2020 12:41pm
kage173 wrote:
I like Ralph. The guy knows motorsports and is truly a professional announcer with decades of experience. People may disagree with the tactics that the broadcast...

The sad part is he has decades of experience, and is still that bad at his job . I look at rugby the whole time , all the announcers are 100 times better , they would be fired in a second if they were nt , i look at moto gp announcers are really great. F1 great again . Isle of man TT great . Soccer great . Do you not think it would be better for our sport to have a better announcer. I d look too even if they had a donkey . But weege is a million times better than Ralph. And i think it adds to the outdoors. The idea we cant find a better announcer tha Ralph is just ridiculous to me . Or that it would nt be something that wouldn't add to the sport .
slowgti
1/4/2020 1:24pm
kage173 wrote:

Show me the new viewers
YamaLink
1/4/2020 2:32pm
I've been told Ralph is the best when it comes to handling all angles of the broadcast. Both ears getting info from multiple producers, spotters, etc, and trying to be a partner to Fro or whomever. That said, he's my least favorite part of SX. Oddly enough, Ralph is fantastic in the booth for other forms of racing.
I've listened to Diffey many times, and it's not a step back or lateral move. Thankfully.
crowe176
1/4/2020 3:57pm
Man, obviously I'm in the minority, but I like Ralph. Hearing his voice every January just ads to the excitement of A1 and indicates its the start of the season and best race series in the world. If he goes, personally, I'll be bummed. He comes off as someone who loves the sport, and loves his job. Can't ask for much more in my opinion.
daemon616
1/4/2020 4:16pm
I've heard both. I prefer Ralph. I don't hate this guy honestly it doesn't dictate my enjoyment of watching these races. I love them. Ralph has somehow grown on me and I miss the familiarity.

Weege and GL as a team are better couple but that's just my opinion maaaan.
Chippy
1/4/2020 4:23pm
kage173 wrote:

I can only speak for myself, so I won't try putting words into anyone's mouth, but I harp on the broadcast team because of the massive...
I can only speak for myself, so I won't try putting words into anyone's mouth, but I harp on the broadcast team because of the massive disparity between the show on the track and the show in the booth. I'm a racing fan, first and foremost. I'm not a fan of supercross and motocross because I love riding, or because my family was into it (I've never even touched a dirtbike in my life). I was drawn in by the racing on the track, and it is BY FAR the best racing in the world. Period. There is passing, there is contact, there is danger, the winner is almost always guaranteed to make passes to earn their position. And it is ALL IN THE RIDERS HANDS. There is no one in their ear coaching them, there are barely any team orders, the only connection a rider has out of the track is a tiny pitboard that reads laptimes and "P U S H". If you show the racing in Supercross to anybody with an open mind to racing of any kind, they will immediately see the value in it. The racing is phenomenal. And then they have to listen to Ralph miss calls, Ricky stumble over his words, and the camera director miss passes and exciting moments, while the viewer at home hears the crowd in the stadium LOSING THEIR FUCKING MINDS and then the camera cuts to a rider laying on the track 25 seconds later. The broadcast team is AMATEUR HOUR compared to the athletes on the track, and it does a disservice to anybody with a vested interest in the success of the sport. Whether that be riders, teams, or fans.
End the thread, this nails it. Ralph is consistently making simple mistakes after all these years. I'll cut Ricky slack but I preferred Emig as the partner to Ralph.

Interesting to see Seely do some talking in the qualifying stuff, he needs practice too but good for him for doing it.
Premixed112
1/4/2020 4:32pm
Just get Weege on play by play and Daniel Blair in the analyst seat already, what are we doing here?
katooom
1/4/2020 4:37pm
Tuned back from the football game, so good to hear Weege on RDL. Weege brings some energy. Sorry but Blair just does not cut it.
ocscottie
1/4/2020 5:20pm
I am clearly not a Diffey fan, but that small sample we got on quali, i have to admit he was impressive.
cason402
1/4/2020 5:36pm
YamaLink wrote:
I've been told Ralph is the best when it comes to handling all angles of the broadcast. Both ears getting info from multiple producers, spotters, etc...
I've been told Ralph is the best when it comes to handling all angles of the broadcast. Both ears getting info from multiple producers, spotters, etc, and trying to be a partner to Fro or whomever. That said, he's my least favorite part of SX. Oddly enough, Ralph is fantastic in the booth for other forms of racing.
I've listened to Diffey many times, and it's not a step back or lateral move. Thankfully.
they have spotters? really?

i'm serious here, I've never noted them (broadcasters) telling me anything other than what was on the screen.

I'm watching the position column trying to follow what's going on and they are never, never seeing major things happen.

a rider moving up, a rider falling back, a rider going down and losing a multitude of places, they are totally oblivious.

then the rider is on the screen and they fumble about, trying to tell a world wide audience what happened when they know nothing of what happened.

so, if there are spotters, what exactly are they spotting, and what are they communicating, it is not working.
cason402
1/4/2020 5:42pm
Diffey killed it. Knew what he was talking about, called the action as a play by play commentator and allowed the colour commentator to explain things and provide opinion.

Diffey 9 on a 10 scale over the practice session

flyinb501
Fantasy
338th
1/4/2020 6:36pm
cason402 wrote:
Diffey killed it. Knew what he was talking about, called the action as a play by play commentator and allowed the colour commentator to explain things...
Diffey killed it. Knew what he was talking about, called the action as a play by play commentator and allowed the colour commentator to explain things and provide opinion.

Diffey 9 on a 10 scale over the practice session

Agreed. Huge improvement over Ralph.
PRM31
1/4/2020 6:44pm
Somewhere along the way the announcers went from watching the race like a fan in the stands and calling it, to watching a monitor and calling it. All downhill from there.

Post a reply to: NBC Broadcast, Ralph vs. Diffey

The Latest