National outdoors? Reevaluate whether its still a family thing

Sonny
7/9/2017 5:37am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 4:20am
I went to Southwick Sat. The man in front of me with his twin 13 year old boys was charged $145. just to get in the fence. This was after his $10 parking. He looked shocked and I felt awful for the guy. Oh they also had to drop their bottle water so they have to buy more inside.
This is no longer the average family sport. Even being a spectator.
Worse part is...some sections are VIP and the sponsors take a great chunk of the best view with their RV.
My opinion, it was sad
|
kkawboy14
7/9/2017 5:56am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 5:57am
A family of 4 to Disney World, 1 day, 1 park, lunch and waters, $1100.00 and that place is considered a family place !
90smoto
7/9/2017 6:11am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 6:17am
That's allot of dough for a working class family to come up with just to walk thru the gate. Compared to the other Nationals the Wick has to be worst for spectating too. It's a rad track to ride/race but the viewing blows.
omalley
7/9/2017 6:27am
Sonny wrote:
I went to Southwick Sat. The man in front of me with his twin 13 year old boys was charged $145. just to get in the...
I went to Southwick Sat. The man in front of me with his twin 13 year old boys was charged $145. just to get in the fence. This was after his $10 parking. He looked shocked and I felt awful for the guy. Oh they also had to drop their bottle water so they have to buy more inside.
Worse part is...some sections are VIP and the sponsors take a great chunk of the best view with their RV.
My opinion, it was sad
I agree. Ironically, my dad and I were just talking about how MX has taken the same turn many sports have, where the TV/sponsors drive the sport, instead of the other way around. It's unfortunate, but there is a catch-22 in sports where they need corporate/TV buy-in to survive, but that buy-in ruins the sport itself.

I now use MX as a cautionary tale to anyone saying that their fringe sport needs to be "more mainstream."
Swann
7/9/2017 6:38am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 6:52am
Only idiots bitch about how much it costs to watch professional athletes risk their lives to entertain us.

Most venues stopped allowing people to bring liquids into their venues years ago. Welcome to the future. Might want to start paying attention.

If you show up to an event and don't know how much it costs to get into the event and are then shocked at how much it costs to get into the event, then you probably don't deserve to get into the event.

The Shop

dedi684
7/9/2017 6:39am
Didn't go this year I spend my money riding there as much as I can
RonJon516
7/9/2017 6:49am
National is once a year. If you can't afford $150 for some quality time spent with your son/daughter, that's sad IMHO.
I have some great memories of my father bringing me to a national in the 80's that I will never forget.
mxb2
7/9/2017 6:54am
RonJon516 wrote:
National is once a year. If you can't afford $150 for some quality time spent with your son/daughter, that's sad IMHO. I have some great memories...
National is once a year. If you can't afford $150 for some quality time spent with your son/daughter, that's sad IMHO.
I have some great memories of my father bringing me to a national in the 80's that I will never forget.
X2, plenty of other options, cheaper or. more expensive. NBC gold package $49, order a pizza for the family lol. Have you every sat courtside, or great seats to nba, nfl? Mx prices aren't shit compared to that.
Swann
7/9/2017 6:55am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 6:55am
omalley wrote:
I agree. Ironically, my dad and I were just talking about how MX has taken the same turn many sports have, where the TV/sponsors drive the...
I agree. Ironically, my dad and I were just talking about how MX has taken the same turn many sports have, where the TV/sponsors drive the sport, instead of the other way around. It's unfortunate, but there is a catch-22 in sports where they need corporate/TV buy-in to survive, but that buy-in ruins the sport itself.

I now use MX as a cautionary tale to anyone saying that their fringe sport needs to be "more mainstream."
"I use MX as a cautionary tale..."

On behalf of the entire motocross community please stop using MX to tell your stupid cautionary tales.
MR. X
7/9/2017 6:55am
Just go fishing then instead ,better life lesson and cheaper.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/9/2017 7:04am
Somebody's gotta pay those potentially fatal flag waivers.
JM485
7/9/2017 7:24am
Swann wrote:
Only idiots bitch about how much it costs to watch professional athletes risk their lives to entertain us. Most venues stopped allowing people to bring liquids...
Only idiots bitch about how much it costs to watch professional athletes risk their lives to entertain us.

Most venues stopped allowing people to bring liquids into their venues years ago. Welcome to the future. Might want to start paying attention.

If you show up to an event and don't know how much it costs to get into the event and are then shocked at how much it costs to get into the event, then you probably don't deserve to get into the event.
Lol, aren't you still in school?
7/9/2017 7:28am
See, that's why you bring a purse or a ladyfriend that carries one. We walked right in with 4 water bottles in hers Woohoo
machine
7/9/2017 7:33am
Have you seen concert ticket prices lately, that 145.00 would be for one ticket. The costs for putting the race on, haven't gone down, I doubt the track owners(or the ones running southwick) are getting rich. Meanwhile, wages have stagnated for the last 20 years, for reasons I won't go into here. Bottom line is middle class wages need to go up, so things like these are affordable for us again.
wfopete
7/9/2017 7:38am
I don't go to ANY pro sports events anymore. I've been to Red Bud enough times to see all the fights, burning cars, drunks, etc. I care for. It's not so much the $$$$ which is an issue but it's more the drive, parking, policies and people there that get me to spend my time and money elsewhere. Some say I'm missing the "electric atmosphere". I call it missing a lot of drunk idiots trying to be something and venues with crappy viewing and promoters trying to shake you down for every cent you have. I'd rather watch it at home with my pause button, food, refrigerator and a potty I trust.

That said; if the MXoN comes to Red Bud, I'll do what I can to get tickets and go.
BobbyM
7/9/2017 7:41am
MR. X wrote:
Just go fishing then instead ,better life lesson and cheaper.
Serious Bass fishing is far from cheap.
Lester
7/9/2017 7:50am
It costs what it cost to get in, but they need to do away with the VIP bs, and let people being in their own water. Someone is making money and it's not the riders.
Forty
7/9/2017 8:12am
Sonny wrote:
I went to Southwick Sat. The man in front of me with his twin 13 year old boys was charged $145. just to get in the...
My opinion, it was sad
Everything costs. Plan on $50.00 per person minimum to do anything, anywhere.

I do agree with you on the VIP sections...That's bullshit.

Thunder Valley had all of the best sight lines occupied by sponsors/banners and "friends" of the industry.

I know it's about the $, If I owned a national track I'd do the same but it's still bullshit.

I reckon it'll be the same at Millville.

See you there!

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/9/2017 8:17am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Golf is really cheap!
For Ross Perot.
7/9/2017 8:38am
I don't consider an outdoor race expensive. I think TN national was $45 & the same for Red Bud. They both allowed outside drinks and coolers. The event last from 8 am to 5 pm or so. In those hours, I feel like I get plenty for my money.
honda907
7/9/2017 8:41am
I went yesterday to MX 338 . That is a quality national. The town really helps out. Veiwing is what it is because it's an old school MX track with natural terrain. Racing was good. Not the best ever, but some excitement.

You could actually get close to the track somewhat, although that is a double edged sword. Safety is comprised. Still, that's that what it was like in the 70's and that was the golden era if outdoor nationals in the northeast i believe.
PRM31
7/9/2017 9:01am
Budds Creek has always allowed coolers to be brought in. Some of the best viewing areas are reserved, but there's no shortage of great vantage points.
wfopete
7/9/2017 9:17am
Let's see; how about Southwick? Probably not a good place to spectate. The 7 foot chain link fence so your kids are watching through the chain link. Best viewing spots are now VIP seating for $200 a person. You might find a place in the shade and see half the action. Still I'd rather go to a bad outdoor national than a SX with the exception of Daytona.
Rockinar
7/9/2017 9:20am
$150 for 3 people to spend a whole day entertained is not bad.
mx317
7/9/2017 9:20am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 9:23am
Swann wrote:
Only idiots bitch about how much it costs to watch professional athletes risk their lives to entertain us. Most venues stopped allowing people to bring liquids...

Don't be such a dick
7/9/2017 9:41am
So, do you want bigger payouts for the riders and be profitable so we can have the nationals locally (because the dollar rules the roost) or spend less? I remember going to the wick, early 2000's, $30 to get in
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/9/2017 9:56am
It's a professional sport and I don't know of any that are cheap to attend other than MLB, and they are bringing in so much $$$ on TV that they don't feel the need to rape you at the gate. NFL, Hockey, golfing, skiing, amusement parks etc all cost a lot of $ to take a family. If people can't afford it then they have the choice to stay home or go spend the day watching local racers.

As far as drinks go it makes sense to me. How can vendors make a living if everyone can stop at Costco to bring in refreshments. Sealed plastic water bottles should be the exception but if the promoter does not want to worry about the drunks filling them with moonshine then they have the right to make the rules to speed up the gate entry
7/9/2017 9:57am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 9:58am
Swann wrote:

mx317 wrote:
Don't be such a dick
I mean, he's not wrong with the second and third paragraph. I think it's crazy most places won't let you bring liquid in, but to play devil's advocate, your "water" could be vodka.

As far as the pricing goes, you went to an event you had to buy three tickets for, an average of $50 a ticket is not bad. I don't go to any event without having any prior knowledge of the pricing. We all have computers in our pockets now, it only takes a minute to look up the price of anything.

And if you're upset at $50/ticket, sorry, it's an expensive sport. It's not like paying $20/ticket to watch some NBA players throw a ball around. They can justify that also because they have tens of thousands in attendance over the course of like 80 games. Our sport isn't anywhere as huge, so less turnout equals higher ticket prices.
mxb2
7/9/2017 10:04am
Swann wrote:

mx317 wrote:
Don't be such a dick
I mean, he's not wrong with the second and third paragraph. I think it's crazy most places won't let you bring liquid in, but to play...
I mean, he's not wrong with the second and third paragraph. I think it's crazy most places won't let you bring liquid in, but to play devil's advocate, your "water" could be vodka.

As far as the pricing goes, you went to an event you had to buy three tickets for, an average of $50 a ticket is not bad. I don't go to any event without having any prior knowledge of the pricing. We all have computers in our pockets now, it only takes a minute to look up the price of anything.

And if you're upset at $50/ticket, sorry, it's an expensive sport. It's not like paying $20/ticket to watch some NBA players throw a ball around. They can justify that also because they have tens of thousands in attendance over the course of like 80 games. Our sport isn't anywhere as huge, so less turnout equals higher ticket prices.
Depending what game, NBA courtside. seats are 1k-10k. Front seat to see the world's best riders $50. Great bargain. NBA,nfl $$ no comparison to pro sx,mx. And the arena, stadiums fill 20-90 thousand people. Supply and demand.

Post a reply to: National outdoors? Reevaluate whether its still a family thing

The Latest