Neck braces... Your opinion

Griff.747
10/25/2013 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2015 8:53am
So it might have been done before, but what are your opinions on neck braces. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Also why do you think more pros don't wear them?
|
moto726
10/25/2013 9:25pm
I personally won't ride without my Leatt but that's just me, I think most pros don't wear them because their just comfortable without them
Olson
10/25/2013 9:28pm
Every time I went down wearing one I planted my head first into the ground.
yzjs7
10/25/2013 9:38pm
They'll kill you. I agree with Olsen, seems like it makes it more likely to tweak your neck or break a collarbone.
Griff.747
10/25/2013 9:51pm
Me personally I won't ride without mine. And I'm so much more comfortable with mine

The Shop

mirramaxx
10/25/2013 11:20pm
I got an Astar's BNS last year and love it. first ride I noticed is I "feel" faster with it. I'm sure its a mental thing cause i feel safer.... also noticed since Deano is with Rhino now and has ditched his neck brace.
Bronson905
Fantasy
889th
10/25/2013 11:35pm
I love Leatt's, and all of their testing and info makes me believe a Leatt is better than any other brace out there. With that said, I won't ride without one!
Griff.747
10/25/2013 11:52pm
Bronson905 wrote:
I love Leatt's, and all of their testing and info makes me believe a Leatt is better than any other brace out there. With that said...
I love Leatt's, and all of their testing and info makes me believe a Leatt is better than any other brace out there. With that said, I won't ride without one!
That's what I wear is a leatt. And like you said their testing (in my opinion) puts them a mark up against their competitors. But their testing had made me a believer that any of the new neck braces whether it be leatt, atlas, or alpinestars is much better than nothing
MX690
10/26/2013 12:02am
10/26/2013 2:24am
I never ride without it. The fact that I've broken two Leatt braces since 2007 supports that, lot easier to replace the brace than the neck. As for the being comfortable part, I barely ever notice that I'm wearing it
jemcee
10/26/2013 2:44am
dunno if they work or not but I really really wish I was wearing one on the 13th of April 2003
pacman00
10/26/2013 2:44am
if leatt is leaps and bounds ahead why did they get rid of the spine contact point and copy atlas?
philG
10/26/2013 3:02am
i've raced forever ... and the amount of people racing now is considerably less than it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but my feeling is that there is a lot more vertebrae type injuries now then there was back then . And while people say 'but it could have been much worse' .... my feeling that is that if that was the case , we'd have seen a massively higher number of serious SCI injuries back in the day than we did. ... i know its hard to validate this , but by my spidy sense , there are a lot more injuries related to shoulder /collarbone and vertebrae than their used to be , without a significant reduction in major injuries.

I have worn one , and i didnt feel comfy, mainly because for supermoto they restrict your ability to get down behind the bars and see where you are going , but when you are riding with your head already pushing down on the brace , you think that if you hit anything like that something has got to give ... in my mind i think of it like a bottle opener scenario,,
CamP
10/26/2013 5:37am
pacman00 wrote:
if leatt is leaps and bounds ahead why did they get rid of the spine contact point and copy atlas?
Leatt actually did that first with their street brace, and Atlas copied them.
hvaughn88
10/26/2013 5:38am
I can see both sides of the argument. The only problem I have is when people make the argument that they don't wear one solely because it can break a collarbone. Hypothetically, say they do work but only at the cost of breaking a collarbone, isn't that worth it? Personally, I think so. Just my $0.02 and everyone is entitled to their opinions so I am definitely not looking down my nose at anyone who chooses to have a differing opinion on the matter.
CamP
10/26/2013 5:40am
philG wrote:
i've raced forever ... and the amount of people racing now is considerably less than it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but my feeling...
i've raced forever ... and the amount of people racing now is considerably less than it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but my feeling is that there is a lot more vertebrae type injuries now then there was back then . And while people say 'but it could have been much worse' .... my feeling that is that if that was the case , we'd have seen a massively higher number of serious SCI injuries back in the day than we did. ... i know its hard to validate this , but by my spidy sense , there are a lot more injuries related to shoulder /collarbone and vertebrae than their used to be , without a significant reduction in major injuries.

I have worn one , and i didnt feel comfy, mainly because for supermoto they restrict your ability to get down behind the bars and see where you are going , but when you are riding with your head already pushing down on the brace , you think that if you hit anything like that something has got to give ... in my mind i think of it like a bottle opener scenario,,
There are more injuries nowadays, but it's because the modern bikes make it easier to right checks your body can't cash.
10/26/2013 7:43am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2013 7:45am
I'll go with nature on this one, the neck is supposed to hyperextend. I think those damn things hurt more people than they "save."

But if you read transworld; it's like neck braces were handed down to humanity from Christ himself.

It's all about what makes you feel better. If you think you're safer with it on, if you think your kid is safer with so much protective gear it hinders his normal range of motion then so be it. I survived 50cc motocross with standard gear. Shoei Helmet, oneal gear, fox boots and flimsy fox chest protector...so for me I feel safer with less rigged to my body.

10/26/2013 7:45am
I wore one for two years. I didn't notice it after the first weekend BUT the fact that I noticed it the first 5 motos I did with it makes me feel that it changed my riding position. I started jumping ramps about 4 years ago and really noticed it. I think because you look up a little more because of how steep the face is. I took it off 2 years ago and I rode (on ramps atleast) 100 x better and more comfortable. There are two sides to each story. I am sure that having a Leatt or AS or Atlas brace has saved people from paralysis and on the flip side I am sure wearing the brace has caused people paralysis or even death(McFarlane? Roziki?). It's probably got results similar to a seatbelt except a seatbelt has a BAZILLION X more testing where as neck brace testing is VERY limited. I wear my seat belt(by choice). I am aware that I can still die with my seatbelt on. I do not wear a Leatt or any other neck brace by choice. I am aware that I can die with or without one as several people have. My reasoning for not wearing one is that I am in my comfort zone. Dave
10/26/2013 7:46am
I wore one for two years. I didn't notice it after the first weekend BUT the fact that I noticed it the first 5 motos I...
I wore one for two years. I didn't notice it after the first weekend BUT the fact that I noticed it the first 5 motos I did with it makes me feel that it changed my riding position. I started jumping ramps about 4 years ago and really noticed it. I think because you look up a little more because of how steep the face is. I took it off 2 years ago and I rode (on ramps atleast) 100 x better and more comfortable. There are two sides to each story. I am sure that having a Leatt or AS or Atlas brace has saved people from paralysis and on the flip side I am sure wearing the brace has caused people paralysis or even death(McFarlane? Roziki?). It's probably got results similar to a seatbelt except a seatbelt has a BAZILLION X more testing where as neck brace testing is VERY limited. I wear my seat belt(by choice). I am aware that I can still die with my seatbelt on. I do not wear a Leatt or any other neck brace by choice. I am aware that I can die with or without one as several people have. My reasoning for not wearing one is that I am in my comfort zone. Dave
And you don't see TP wearing one.....and that fugger is still walkin....
MtnBoy
10/26/2013 7:49am
Local kid died a few years back when his collarbone broke so bad it punctured his lung...while wearing a Leatt.
48dirtbikekid
10/26/2013 7:55am
I'll go with nature on this one, the neck is supposed to hyperextend. I think those damn things hurt more people than they "save." But if...
I'll go with nature on this one, the neck is supposed to hyperextend. I think those damn things hurt more people than they "save."

But if you read transworld; it's like neck braces were handed down to humanity from Christ himself.

It's all about what makes you feel better. If you think you're safer with it on, if you think your kid is safer with so much protective gear it hinders his normal range of motion then so be it. I survived 50cc motocross with standard gear. Shoei Helmet, oneal gear, fox boots and flimsy fox chest protector...so for me I feel safer with less rigged to my body.

I couldn't have said it better myself, those are my thoughts as well.
JM485
10/26/2013 8:08am
Please tell me some of you are kidding about these braces doing more harm than good? How many cases have there been where these braces have hurt someone, and how many have there been where they have saved a life or prevented paralysis? I can guarantee anyone who broke their neck without one on probably wishes that they had given them a try (yes, I know they are relatively new so I am talking about within the last few years). It is sort of like wearing a helmet, they won't protect against every situation, but 9/10 times they will help. Stearing someone away from them because of some fluke incident is pretty irresponsible if you ask me. Leatt has done extensive testing (look it up in Dirtrider) and I honestly believe in their product, why peopl try to make them out as liars is beyond me. I never ride without mine and I'm sure someone will ream me for this post, but I had to put it out there. Whatever you choose, just be prepared to accept the possible outcomes..
Awhit167
10/26/2013 8:10am
I wouldn't ride without one personally, it probably saved me from having a serious neck injury.. I have worn a leatt since they came out, but I decided to try out the atlas brace. I like the feeling of it and the overall design over the leatt. It just comes down to personal preference
10/26/2013 8:16am
JM485 wrote:
Please tell me some of you are kidding about these braces doing more harm than good? How many cases have there been where these braces have...
Please tell me some of you are kidding about these braces doing more harm than good? How many cases have there been where these braces have hurt someone, and how many have there been where they have saved a life or prevented paralysis? I can guarantee anyone who broke their neck without one on probably wishes that they had given them a try (yes, I know they are relatively new so I am talking about within the last few years). It is sort of like wearing a helmet, they won't protect against every situation, but 9/10 times they will help. Stearing someone away from them because of some fluke incident is pretty irresponsible if you ask me. Leatt has done extensive testing (look it up in Dirtrider) and I honestly believe in their product, why peopl try to make them out as liars is beyond me. I never ride without mine and I'm sure someone will ream me for this post, but I had to put it out there. Whatever you choose, just be prepared to accept the possible outcomes..
I test my own paint brushes that I just made in my garage. They're better quality than home depot. Because I tested them.

And I know a nice guy who broke his neck, and wished he DIDN'T have a neck brace on....yikes. Guess we got both sides of the fence. With nobody testing these things.

I'll be back in 15 pages.
JM485
10/26/2013 8:23am
I test my own paint brushes that I just made in my garage. They're better quality than home depot. Because I tested them. And I know...
I test my own paint brushes that I just made in my garage. They're better quality than home depot. Because I tested them.

And I know a nice guy who broke his neck, and wished he DIDN'T have a neck brace on....yikes. Guess we got both sides of the fence. With nobody testing these things.

Do you honestly believe that these braces hurt more people than they save? I am sorry about what happened to your friend, that is a terrible thing, but I don't think that is a very common occurrence.
rjs
10/26/2013 8:32am
Atlas has also done extensive testing with overwhelming positive results.

In the 18 months or so that the Atlas Brace has been on the market they have received several letters from serious crash victims thanking them for saving them from life changing injuries, with testimonials from their doctors and surgeons stating the Atlas Brace was the reason.

From a manufacturer receiving that type of feedback from the marketplace it really is gratifying to know your product is making a difference.

Having said that, there is still no protection item that can guarantee to protect a rider from any serious injury or death.

It is still and will always be personal choice. All I know is I would never recommend a parent let there child ride without an Atlas Brace.
10/26/2013 8:36am
Any doctors or chiropractors on here who can chime in . I m not trying to make a comparison to football but we had to watch a video before our first day of contact back in 93 anyway it shows 50 or more clips of kids making contact with head in wrong position head straight down being jammed in spinal chord the coaches always preached eyes up when hitting I wore a neck brace 2 weeks ago of a friends with mixed feelings I'd really like to hear more opinions on this thread . I personally think the neck needs some room to move as long as it's not being pushed down from the top of your skull and compressing your spine .
Griff.747
10/26/2013 8:39am
JM485 wrote:
Please tell me some of you are kidding about these braces doing more harm than good? How many cases have there been where these braces have...
I test my own paint brushes that I just made in my garage. They're better quality than home depot. Because I tested them. And I know...

Ya and an ER surgeon straight up told my friend he is luck to be alive let alone still able to walk and the only reason he is was because of his leatt
MtnBoy
10/26/2013 9:29am
Griff.747 wrote:
Ya and an ER surgeon straight up told my friend he is luck to be alive let alone still able to walk and the only reason...
Ya and an ER surgeon straight up told my friend he is luck to be alive let alone still able to walk and the only reason he is was because of his leatt
How? How can a doctor know that without a doubt?

Also somebody above mentioned how many people they have saved from injury...how do they know how many? How? Because your buddy who crashed swears it saved him? Pretty scientific....

I crashed in a desert race once after hitting a rock I didn't see while going literally 5th gear pinned, rode the front wheel for 60 feet and then rag dolled for another 50 or so feet. Knocked out, broken nose, broken ribs, destroyed helmet, broken front wheel, bike hit the ground so hard it sheared the bolts holding the bar clamps to the triple clamps...no broken neck...no neck brace....I'm just saying...all these claims of "it saved me" or "it saved my buddy in a nasty crash" we have NO WAY of knowing...
Indy mxer
10/26/2013 9:54am
I'll go with nature on this one, the neck is supposed to hyperextend. I think those damn things hurt more people than they "save." But if...

Your statement is not accurate.
Yes the neck is supposed to extend, but only to a point. Hence the term "hyper".
Why do you think NASCAR drivers wear the HANS device. They limit the extension same as a neck brace.
But if someone chooses not to wear one, I get it. All I know is I'm sold on them.
By your logic we shouldn't wear knee braces either, because the knee is supposed to hyper extend.

A couple years ago I swapped out and high sided at speed. Did a major face plant. My helmet came down on my nose so hard it cut the bridge of my nose. My head extended back so much the Leatt left a bruise in the middle of my back.
I'm convinced it saved my ass.
I'm 56 and been riding mx for a long time. Wouldn't ride without one now.

But hey, that's just my opinion
hvaughn88
10/26/2013 9:58am
So here is my question: to the guys who say they don't wear one simply because its uncomfortable, do you wear boots, helmet, chest pro, etc? I would argue when I sit on my bike in tennis shoes, gym shorts, t shirt and a hat that I'm way more comfortable then when I'm all geared up. But would I go ride like that-nope. Those items aren't meant to be primarily comfortable. If they can be, great. But that's an afterthought. And on the issue of the body supposed to be having some hyperextention, that's true, but only to a certain degree. I don't think the body is supposed to experience the hyperextention associated with crashing a motocross bike at "5th gear pinned." If that was your only argument, then once again, don't wear boots or knee braces either. I think there are plenty of instances where those items have probably caused some broken legs, too but no one makes a stink about that (probably because the pros don't make a stink about it).

To me, it just seems like a bunch of guys have seen their favorite rider stop wearing them so they think its en vogue to do the same. Maybe not, but that's how it comes across and then the guys try to stand on these lame duck excuses to make it seem like they have better reasons. Look, if a pro making a living racing thinks it slows him down and wants to risk not wearing one, I can respect that. But if your local guy that's paying to go race on the weekends doesn't wear one because it might slow him down and he won't win his moto at the local track, that just seems a little foolish. But once again, to each his own.

Post a reply to: Neck braces... Your opinion

The Latest