Need advice on a sale that is "possibly" went south.

Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 6:56am
I recently just sold my bike to a kid. He started it up and rode it around for 5 or so minutes, claimed he liked it and would buy the bike. Same day roughly 9 hours later he claims he rode it more and it "locked up". Kid sounds like he wants his money back. What should i do? Its my first time ever selling a bike.
|
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/1/2020 12:37pm
No returns - not to be a dick, but you have no idea what happened in those 9 hours. It ran when you sold it, it ran before you sold it. As far as you're concerned, this is either bad luck, or they messed up.
Tryhard
3/1/2020 12:40pm
Berm wrote:
No returns - not to be a dick, but you have no idea what happened in those 9 hours. It ran when you sold it, it...
No returns - not to be a dick, but you have no idea what happened in those 9 hours. It ran when you sold it, it ran before you sold it. As far as you're concerned, this is either bad luck, or they messed up.
Yeah what this guy says , tell the guy warranties are for dealerships. When you buy used you buy as is sometimes this means , you buy what was inevitably coming to the original owner , someone else's problems , or potentially a good deal . Buying used is always a gamble. Good luck , but no do not give him his money back . Put it in the bank .
xrmark
3/1/2020 12:40pm
It ran when you sold it. Kid could be doing wheelies holding that thing wide open up and down the street for all you know. You don't give him his money back. Sucks to be the dick but you did nothing wrong. Text him back saying sorry it ran when i sold it to you and had no problems. Price you pay when taking a gamble and buying a used bike.
3/1/2020 12:43pm
This is why you write out a bill of sale stating it's used sold as in no warranty and have both parties sign it.

The Shop

3/1/2020 12:45pm
Why do rich guys buy used bikes? If you can afford it buy new!!!!! i see guys thinking theyre so smart buying a used bike. They THINK a used bike is every bit as good as a new one, just has scratches. “Im not pro i dont need a new bike theyre Way too expensive “. So buy a $3500 250F and then make it a $6500 bike once it blows up the first weekend you take it riding. Super Smart
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
3/1/2020 12:46pm
Berm wrote:
No returns - not to be a dick, but you have no idea what happened in those 9 hours. It ran when you sold it, it...
That was what I was thinking and I don't have any plans to return the cash. Thanks for the advice. Just more or less worried if it goes to small claims. As I'm just a senior in HS I can't afford fees if it goes there.
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
3/1/2020 12:48pm
Why do rich guys buy used bikes? If you can afford it buy new!!!!! i see guys thinking theyre so smart buying a used bike. They...
Why do rich guys buy used bikes? If you can afford it buy new!!!!! i see guys thinking theyre so smart buying a used bike. They THINK a used bike is every bit as good as a new one, just has scratches. “Im not pro i dont need a new bike theyre Way too expensive “. So buy a $3500 250F and then make it a $6500 bike once it blows up the first weekend you take it riding. Super Smart
Wasnt really new. It's an old 125 I let go for cheap because I don't ride anymore due to injury.
3/1/2020 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 12:54pm
Seems to me like nothing on paper = warranty until the doorstep. I don't know how this goes in America, things may be different there because people sue for the weirdest things, but here it definitely goes like that when you buy from someone who's not a company. buying second hand is always a risk.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/1/2020 12:54pm
Berm wrote:
Marty1028 wrote:
That was what I was thinking and I don't have any plans to return the cash. Thanks for the advice. Just more or less worried if...
That was what I was thinking and I don't have any plans to return the cash. Thanks for the advice. Just more or less worried if it goes to small claims. As I'm just a senior in HS I can't afford fees if it goes there.
You won't have to worry about that unless they are able to find out that you deliberately sabotaged the bike before you sold it.

They can tell you they'll take you to small claims but any lawyer will tell them it's not worth it so don't sweat the threat.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/1/2020 12:57pm
For what it's worth, I sold a yz250 that ran when I had it, ran in the parking lot, and blew up on the kid that weekend the first time he rode it.

Motor had never been touched and was all stock. Bike was in good shape. They tore it down and saw it melted the top of the piston. I was patient with them and explained I can't be held responsible for the bike once it leaves my ownership. It was either a freak occurrence or something on their part, but I would have ridden the bike the following weekend myself if I hadn't sold it so it wasn't like I was trying to hide anything.
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
3/1/2020 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 1:07pm
Berm wrote:
Marty1028 wrote:
That was what I was thinking and I don't have any plans to return the cash. Thanks for the advice. Just more or less worried if...
Berm wrote:
You won't have to worry about that unless they are able to find out that you deliberately sabotaged the bike before you sold it. They can...
You won't have to worry about that unless they are able to find out that you deliberately sabotaged the bike before you sold it.

They can tell you they'll take you to small claims but any lawyer will tell them it's not worth it so don't sweat the threat.
I'm definitely not taking it back now. The kid just sent me a picture with the head taken off. But anyway, thanks for the advice. I wasn't out to screw the guy, just wanted the bike gone.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3308th
3/1/2020 1:08pm
Sold is sold, no refunds.

I was kinda on the opposite side of this once. Went and looked at a yz85. Inspected and rode the bike then made my offer. Kid did not accept it. 2 hours later i get a call and hes saying it seemed like i really wanted the bike so he would take what i offered and would drive halfway to me. We met i handed him cash and loaded the bike. Got home and noticed something was off, the bike wasnt in the same condition i saw it 2 hours ago. Best i could tell him or a buddy wadded it up pretty bad in those 2 hours and bent the radiators and some of the plastics.

My fault for not checking the bike over again before handing over cash.

3/1/2020 1:19pm
"sounds like he wants his money back"

I have heard this sound-- It is the gentle sound of LOL.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
3/1/2020 1:21pm
caveat emptor.
I sold a KX 125 to a 20 year old,he blew it up the first weekend he owned it,his dad come to my house demanding I give his son his money back,I asked what was wrong said the he seized it,I asked if he used premix,he looked at me like I was an alien,I then proceeded to ask if he asked his son about the two stroke oil,ratio right and gas can I included in the sale as well as the written instructions.So the kid didn't get his money back and learned a lesson.
I ended up helping the kid and his dad do top end on the bike.Now I go for a beer occasional with them.
Pink
3/1/2020 1:21pm
He put straight gas in it.
3/1/2020 1:24pm
Pink wrote:
He put straight gas in it.
It doesn't really matter what way the kid done blew up his own bike.
lumpy790
3/1/2020 1:32pm
Cover your ass.

Every Time I sell a car/truck/trailer/motorcycle we both sign a sales receipt that specifically state - With No Warranty either written or implied. They get original and I make a copy after signature for my records.
3/1/2020 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 2:07pm
Also, FWIW, in his individual ownership he is already past several inspection cycles, and very near one replacement cycle on that top end. And that's from factory brand new original, decades ago:

Even pretending he bought the bike fully brand new from you (he didn't; it was a used race machine presumably with hundreds of hours of use and equivalent depreciation in purchase price)... Did he inspect the top end at 7.5 hours of his use, because that's Kawasaki's standard for maintenance from a buyer,.

Why would you expect more on a non-warrantied 20 year old bike than what they do on their new ones?
chrisg19
Fantasy
4462nd
3/1/2020 2:22pm
motogrady wrote:
Is the kid 18? If not you’re screwed.
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone under the age of 18 cannot enter into a legally binding contract. If he is under 18, he could bring what’s left of the bike back to you in a shoe box, and he would be entitled to every penny back. Never sure what people mean when they say kid.

Otherwise, a sold bike is sold, no refunds. You have no idea what he did with he when he pulled out of your drive.
3/1/2020 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 2:24pm
side-pipe wrote:
Sold is sold, no refunds. I was kinda on the opposite side of this once. Went and looked at a yz85. Inspected and rode the bike...
Sold is sold, no refunds.

I was kinda on the opposite side of this once. Went and looked at a yz85. Inspected and rode the bike then made my offer. Kid did not accept it. 2 hours later i get a call and hes saying it seemed like i really wanted the bike so he would take what i offered and would drive halfway to me. We met i handed him cash and loaded the bike. Got home and noticed something was off, the bike wasnt in the same condition i saw it 2 hours ago. Best i could tell him or a buddy wadded it up pretty bad in those 2 hours and bent the radiators and some of the plastics.

My fault for not checking the bike over again before handing over cash.

Same with me. I took the guys word on a used yz85. That is ran great. It was late and in too big to ride it. Bought it for a relative. The guy owns a well known suspension shop here in ca. So i didn't question it. Suppose to been a full OEM rebuild with OEM crank. The bike was a pos with a bad stator and all. Also the OEM crank was a shit hot rod crank.
Moral of the story no refunds and warranty ends when you leave with it.
rbspecial138
Fantasy
872nd
3/1/2020 2:36pm
Why do rich guys buy used bikes? If you can afford it buy new!!!!! i see guys thinking theyre so smart buying a used bike. They...
No joke, exact thing happened to me a few years back, never contacted the original owner, it blew up about 2 hrs after owning it. learned my lesson after the cost of repairs would have been about equal to a new bike... new bikes only for me here on out.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1978th
3/1/2020 2:40pm
Do not give the money back. Ran for you before and during the sale. For all we know the kid was revving it to the moon wide open down the streets and doing burn outs.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
3/1/2020 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 2:50pm
No returns - you sold the bike as is with no warranty.
Don't give him his money back.
In fact send him a link to this thread if he needs to be schooled.

As for small claims - print this thread out -expert witnesses in regards to selling used MX bikes - we all are. Smile

OldPro277
3/1/2020 5:00pm
None of the above matters, don't even concern yourself with those questions. The buyer made the decision to purchase the bike based on his viewing the bike ,riding the bike and agreeing on the price. The ONLY question that needs answered is ,if the buyer was a minor did he have parental/guardian representation ? If he was a minor with no representation then you may have an issue once the parents get involved. If he was over 18, then tell him nicely to :"
"F*** off" . You know the bike ran and was in decent shape. As someone said above , the dude probably put straight gas in it after purchase ,unfortunate but not your issue at all.

Now a couple of things to consider-- if the buyer came to your house to see the bike, NOW he knows where you live, not an ideal situation. . When I'm selling a personal item on a public forum , I never have the person come to my house....just in case.

And always write a bill of sale stating the purchase is "as - is---No warranty written or implied" That one statement will cover your ass in Pa unconditionally, UNLESS the buyer is under 18 yo. Minors are unable to enter into a legally binding contract.
sandman768
3/1/2020 5:29pm
I sold a YZ250 2t to a guy once .he blew it up same weekend. I had a 4t also & put the wrong gas in it. It was my fault, I made right with the guy. I was not happy about it but I knew it was my fault. When I was just a kid working my ass off for my next bike, I bought an 81 Cr125 that blew up soon after I bought it. The seller would not help out, I remembered that & vowed never to be that guy. If the kid forgot to put oil in the gas, it’s not your problem, in my case it was my problem. I made it right.
sandman768
3/1/2020 6:06pm
I believe we are a brotherhood... we need to work together
SEEMEFIRST
3/1/2020 6:25pm
Hind sight is always 20-20, but a clean paper towel dipped into the tank when he first complained might have told a story.

We have no idea what the buyers know, so, yeah, bummer deal.

I know nothing about the minor/contract thing, but my question is "what contract"?

The kid bought a machine with cash.
3/1/2020 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2020 6:39pm
You guys reminded me of when I sold this 86 cr125 guy picked it up on Friday night. I get a call from the new owner the next day saying it wouldn't shift out of first gear. So the first thing I ask him is you do understand that it's 1 gear down 5 up right? The long pause answered it all and no they didn't know.

Post a reply to: Need advice on a sale that is "possibly" went south.

The Latest