btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
DADTAXI DADTAXI
7/16/2017 11:10 AM

Has anyone ever experienced something similar

I have the system on my 2016 Yamaha.

I've experienced the one chamber becoming 1/4 turn loose. So I emailed neken for an address to send them in for warranty/service.

They replied service was $100 & provided a US based retailer to mail them too. I wasn't ready to spend more money after the purchase of the clamps. So I discovered the Allen at the bottom of the chamber, tighten & the issue seemed to be fixed. It became loose again so I was over them & posted them cheap.

A vital member bought them today so I started to take them off for shipping. Well the issue is worse then I originally thought. The metal cast around the chambers is both cracked. I don't have the slightest clue how it even would have happened. I don't just send it like Larry & the clamps weren't in any crashes.

Once I realized it I instantly refunded the vital member & shipped them out to neken this afternoon. Hopefully these get replaced.

FGR01 FGR01
7/16/2017 11:29 AM

There is not very much material between those 2 bores, is there?

Powerband in every gear !

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 11:36 AM

I need to look at mine, the nut on the clutch side started getting loose so I took them off. I bought mine used on eBay and when I got them I noticed who had them before used a punch or chisel to tighten the spaner nuts and almost cut through it. It was fine for a while and then I was riding one day and the bars started to wobble, maybe mine are cracked because those nuts thread way down inside of the clamp and shouldn't move at all obviously

DADTAXI DADTAXI
7/16/2017 11:42 AM
bgpn35 wrote:

I need to look at mine, ...more

A wobble of what feels like 1-2mm per side, Left to right.

Yes thats what I was feeling. The Allen at the bottom would tighten & if felt ok until it did it again.

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 11:45 AM

Yep, both sides are cracked! I took mine off 17 yz250f

DADTAXI DADTAXI
7/16/2017 12:03 PM

I'll get ya the contacts in two minutes

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 12:06 PM
DADTAXI wrote:

I'll get ya the contacts ...more

Thanks!

DADTAXI DADTAXI
7/16/2017 12:09 PM
DADTAXI wrote:

I'll get ya the contacts ...more

bgpn35 wrote:

Thanks!

james@jlcollab.com US based
benoit.beaumont@neken.fr Direct

philG philG
7/16/2017 12:45 PM

not enough material. Are they hard anodised or just decorative?

langhammx langhammx
7/16/2017 12:53 PM

benoit.beaumont@neken.fr

This guy is on top of his game and will take care of the issue

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 1:59 PM
philG wrote:

not enough material. Are ...more

Looks to me like just decorative, I didn't realize just how thin the material is where the crack is until I took the chambers out

BobPA BobPA
7/16/2017 2:17 PM

Ha, send it like Larry

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

philG philG
7/16/2017 2:29 PM
philG wrote:

not enough material. Are ...more

bgpn35 wrote:

Looks to me like just ...more

yes , it does to me too.. hard anodising causes surface embrittlement, which develops microcracking, which would be worst just where it has cracked.

The design will be based on a load case that is calculated , in my experience, the 'real numbers' can be much higher, unless you can accurately measure the load ( which you cant ) .

Would be interesting to see the other side of the crack

wideopen198 wideopen198
7/16/2017 2:37 PM
philG wrote:

yes , it does to me too.. ...more

Yea, I wonder what number they used for safety factor in their calculations.

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 2:50 PM
philG wrote:

yes , it does to me too.. ...more

Since I have mine apart do you want me to take a pic?

philG philG
7/16/2017 2:55 PM

if you could please

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 3:02 PM
philG wrote:

if you could please

I noticed it's cracked in 4 places when I started taking pics the

jeffro503 jeffro503
7/16/2017 3:19 PM

Man , I look at those pics and it scares me too think of what " could have happened ". Thankfully you guys caught that in time. I know Neken makes some top notch stuff , and I'll almost bet ( if they haven't already ) changed the design a little on that particular clamp. It's kind of a perfect example of....saving to much weight vs durability.

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

philG philG
7/16/2017 3:23 PM

The sharp edge where it meets the bore is a stress raiser.. my guess is that is where it started , based on the pictures, which is always difficult to be certain, but that does look a problem area to me... bearing in mind i am not a designer, just a bloke that did lots of post mortems on parts that shouldnt have broken but did.

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/16/2017 3:47 PM
jeffro503 wrote:

Man , I look at those pics ...more

Yes, it scares me as well. I put in 2 laps when it broke and was done for the day because I didn't have the stock one with me. I didn't know what the real problem was till today so I'm glad I didn't just send it off to get serviced because I had them apart to just send the shocks off and put them back in and run it. I'm glad this thread was started! Haha

philG philG
7/16/2017 4:00 PM

We have broken aftermarket clamps doing Supermoto, 4th gear flat ladings to tarmac are not forgiving.

Bermworm Bermworm
7/16/2017 6:49 PM

I've only seen them once and the guy lost it on a double, let go of the bike in the air it was a YZ 125 he landed and broke his collar bone but the bike landed upside down and the bars just simply sheared off.The track was hard pack blue groove clay allright but I never ever considerd those clamps since that day about 3 years ago.

BobPA BobPA
7/16/2017 7:19 PM
Bermworm wrote:

I've only seen them once ...more

Sounds like user error to me.

I just looked at mine and they still look new. Hoping none of these problems arise.

slipdog slipdog
7/17/2017 6:31 AM

Well, Thanks for showing me what clamps I will never buy..

Sorry for you guy's bad luck, but I'm glad nobody got hurt in the process!

mxer613 mxer613
7/17/2017 7:57 AM

I almost bought some last week, not now, maybe that's why factory Ktm quit using them???

BobPA BobPA
7/17/2017 8:07 AM
mxer613 wrote:

I almost bought some last ...more

KTM never used the SFS version, only their solid mount version (still using them). The only companies teams I saw using them were JGR and one of the Yamaha 250 teams a while ago. I do not think any pros are running them right now, could be wrong though.

SPYGUY SPYGUY
7/17/2017 10:12 AM
BobPA wrote:

KTM never used the SFS ...more

Have you seen the Neken SFS setup that Ryan Dungey has been sporting this season? It's an air-pressurized cartridge on the bottom side of each bar clamp that provides 10mm of travel for the bars. SFS stands for Smooth Feeling System.

http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Vital-MX-Pit-Bits-Atlanta,37720/Neken-SFS,73139/GuyB,64?mobile=false
DADTAXI DADTAXI
7/17/2017 10:27 AM
mxer613 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:

Have you seen the Neken ...more

That's the same set up we both have. It's cracking around that 10mm air chamber.

bgpn35 bgpn35
7/17/2017 10:34 AM
DADTAXI wrote:

That's the same set up we ...more

Did you get a response yet? I sent one yesterday and haven't heard anything yet. I know it's only one day but I'm just wondering

mxer613 mxer613
7/17/2017 10:41 AM
mxer613 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:

Have you seen the Neken ...more

I knew Ktm used them, it was for only one season, maybe theirs cracked too.

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry