New Dads Unite

TJMX947
2/6/2018 5:57am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 10:14am
So I just realized that Aaron Plessinger became a dad recently and someone posted that they hoped it didn't make him lose his edge. I wanted to share stories with guys from the first few years of their kid's lives.

Me personally my ride time isn't what it used to be and I honestly don't really care for racing as much now. I try to make it to the track twice per month and I try to stick to a pretty tight schedule. I've literally gone to the track before with 2 hours of time to ride and put an hour on my bike.

During the first year of his life I had to DVR the west coast Supercross races and watch them the next morning because I couldn't stay awake.

Its been a crazy journey so far and as he gets older things get easier, but I wouldn't change any of it.
|
Camp332
2/6/2018 6:20am
I have 3 kids under the age of 6. The youngest is almost 3 months. I currently don't ride moto. Too busy for the things I used to have time for. Luckily I have some good MTB trails near by that I can hit regularly for my 2-wheel fix. Like you said, getting things on a schedule seem to keep the wife happy. My son wants to moto this year, so I may get to ride this 125 of mine(That I still need to finish restoring)
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
2/6/2018 6:28am
3 year old twins.

Going through winter blues right now, moto is my therapy
pmshortt2
2/6/2018 6:38am
21 and no kids, no plans for any for 5-7 years. Life’s great. LaughingCool
2/6/2018 6:40am
3 kids under 6 also. Dirt bikes took a back seat after our first was born. Now my son is old enough for dirt bikes it's back on. New bike for him for Christmas, new bike for me 2 weeks ago. Winter sucks though. My son asks every day several times a day for us to ride together and it's to cold at the moment.

The Shop

Jmicmoto13
2/6/2018 6:42am
I have a 3 year old boy,who will be 4 in April and a 6 week old little boy. I haven’t ridden since May of last year but have been working on my ‘05 RM125 as budget allows. Im sure I will get more time in the future to ride but I enjoy tinkering on the bike and watching races just fine.
TJMX947
2/6/2018 6:44am
Camp332 wrote:
I have 3 kids under the age of 6. The youngest is almost 3 months. I currently don't ride moto. Too busy for the things I...
I have 3 kids under the age of 6. The youngest is almost 3 months. I currently don't ride moto. Too busy for the things I used to have time for. Luckily I have some good MTB trails near by that I can hit regularly for my 2-wheel fix. Like you said, getting things on a schedule seem to keep the wife happy. My son wants to moto this year, so I may get to ride this 125 of mine(That I still need to finish restoring)
Do you by chance have a 2005/2006 CR250 you found new in a crate a few years ago? Your name reminds me of a guy from Thumper Talk back in the day.
Camp332
2/6/2018 7:30am
TJMX947 wrote:
Do you by chance have a 2005/2006 CR250 you found new in a crate a few years ago? Your name reminds me of a guy from...
Do you by chance have a 2005/2006 CR250 you found new in a crate a few years ago? Your name reminds me of a guy from Thumper Talk back in the day.
Not me! Though I wish I had an 05/06 CR250 in the crate. I had an 03 that was amazing!
Agent717
2/6/2018 7:50am
My first is due in April. You guys are freakin me out with this no time to ride business!
Camp332
2/6/2018 8:01am
Agent717 wrote:
My first is due in April. You guys are freakin me out with this no time to ride business!
You know what it is? (For me) I actually want to be around my family more than at the track. When the time comes to be able to have the family at the track it all comes full circle.
newmann
2/6/2018 8:07am
Kids are grown and out of the house. I have less time than ever it seems. Not sure how I kept 6-8 bikes race ready at all times and made it out to the races and practice days 20 plus weekends a year for all those years.
Agent717
2/6/2018 8:11am
Agent717 wrote:
Camp332 wrote:
You know what it is? (For me) I actually want to be around my family more than at the track. When the time comes to be...
You know what it is? (For me) I actually want to be around my family more than at the track. When the time comes to be able to have the family at the track it all comes full circle.
That's the dream!
JRT812
2/6/2018 8:12am
Agent717 wrote:
I wouldn't call it "no time to ride" and more of a priority relisting.
2/6/2018 8:18am
Agent717 wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
I have a 10 month daughter and I still make it to the track once a week. It's totally doable.
JRT812
2/6/2018 8:25am
Agent717 wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
I have a 10 month daughter and I still make it to the track once a week. It's totally doable.
Agree with you. I feel like I could ride as much as I want to outside of my work week if I wanted too.
Camp332
2/6/2018 8:25am
I rode a lot and raced a little bit too when my son(1st child) was born until he was about 18 months. Then I shattered my shoulder blade, my daughter was born, and the priorities changed like JRT812 said.
brocster
2/6/2018 8:26am
Not a new dad but this is what I did. Fully embedded myself in my kids for all but 5 or so hours on Saturday mornings for “me” time to ride. This was the known and norm schedule as they got older and honored it. At times I had to switch Saturday for Sunday if there was an important event to attend for them but my wife and kids new that most of the time Saturday mornings dad was at the track. Bike wash and mtc. was done late Sunday/Monday night. Been riding/racing for 28 years damn near every weekend, weather permitting of course I am from Louisiana.
2/6/2018 8:33am
Camp332 wrote:
I rode a lot and raced a little bit too when my son(1st child) was born until he was about 18 months. Then I shattered my...
I rode a lot and raced a little bit too when my son(1st child) was born until he was about 18 months. Then I shattered my shoulder blade, my daughter was born, and the priorities changed like JRT812 said.
I gotcha, I can only manage a weeknight immediately following work for 3-4 hours. Other than that, weekends are out of the question. Just need to throw my leg over a bike to stay sane every once in a while.
MR. X
2/6/2018 8:49am
My little guy is 2 , you could have the shittiest day ever and come home to them running up yelling dadda! Changes the whole day.
ehr400
2/6/2018 8:59am
I got 2 girls, 5yo and 3yo. I still ride usually every wednsday and sundays.
TJMX947
2/6/2018 9:10am
newmann wrote:
Kids are grown and out of the house. I have less time than ever it seems. Not sure how I kept 6-8 bikes race ready at...
Kids are grown and out of the house. I have less time than ever it seems. Not sure how I kept 6-8 bikes race ready at all times and made it out to the races and practice days 20 plus weekends a year for all those years.
You sir are an iron man!!!

It would be super convenient to make it to a night practice after work every week, but realistically where I live (around Charlotte NC) its super difficult given the distance you have to drive.

NorCal 50+
2/6/2018 9:17am
My little girl is 3, almost 4 and she loves moto. She's been watching it since she was a little baby. She likes helmet cams the best and yells and whoops the whole time. (She doesn't even know what football is).

When she saw "Makeup2Mud" on Saturday she was mesmerized. At the end she turns to me and says:
"Daddy I want to ride on the track and go jump and fall off and get up and try again." It was the last part that gave me a proud Daddy moment!
She also grabs wrenches and loves to pretend to work on the bike. She adores moto- it's a trip. But I struggle with whether she should ever be serious about it.
Kanewel433
2/6/2018 9:19am
TJMX947 wrote:
You sir are an iron man!!! It would be super convenient to make it to a night practice after work every week, but realistically where I...
You sir are an iron man!!!

It would be super convenient to make it to a night practice after work every week, but realistically where I live (around Charlotte NC) its super difficult given the distance you have to drive.

I concur. Living in Greenville, SC there are a few tracks withing 30 mins-1 hour away but they're not lit up so you're at the mercy of daylight. As a newly single man though, my weekends just opened right up!!! Smile

Cheers to all you moto-dads out there. I can't wait to be a dad and introduce my little one to this incredible community.
Camp332
2/6/2018 10:16am
Last fall my little guy got out on the "pee wee" track at Raceway Park for his first time ever. Let me tell you the joy I felt was indescribable. Dare I admit "I got something in my eye" as I watched him ride around the track. He wanted #337 in honor of our buddy who is a lot faster than me, Nick Desiderio.

Camp332
2/6/2018 10:44am
^ Sweet Bro! My son is rocking the same gear!
2/6/2018 10:48am
Camp332 wrote:
My son picked ours out. We had to be matching because he says we're best buddies. Was pretty dang cheap too which is good to help offset the cost of the new bikes..
Camp332
2/6/2018 10:54am
Camp332 wrote:
My son picked ours out. We had to be matching because he says we're best buddies. Was pretty dang cheap too which is good to help...
My son picked ours out. We had to be matching because he says we're best buddies. Was pretty dang cheap too which is good to help offset the cost of the new bikes..
Nice!
hyler199
2/6/2018 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2018 12:20pm
sweet! ya my Dad kept racing almost every year he could when i was young. he had a bad knee injury which kept him off for a couple years but were right back at it. I never had my own bike but as soon as I could i would ask to start my dads bike while he got ready to warm it up. then Id run over to where my uncle was parked and asked him if i could start his bike haha. I also had tonnes of fun washing my Dads bike in the backyard after the races.

When he switched to offroad racing we never looked back.
If time is of the essence Offroad is the best choice.

10am start time, 2 hour race, then the afternoon Intermediate to pro classes start. You can stay and watch or get an early start on the drive home.

That means I get 2 hours of racing in and its lunch time. I have several friends who are at the moto track for 8 hours and get 1-1.5 hours of riding in lol NOOOOOOOO THANKS BRO
Badd127
Fantasy
2116th
2/6/2018 12:47pm
Agent717 wrote:
Don't stress dude. It's all about communication, planning and keeping the wife happy. I have a 4 year old boy and a 1.5 year old girl. I normally ride twice a week, Wednesday and one day on the weekend, training or racing. I use to play a lot of golf as well (I work at a golf club) but I pretty much gave up golf so I can get as much riding time as possible.
On a Wednesday I get to the track and am ready to ride by 4pm, I do two motos and are on my way home by 6pm, in time to help give the kids a bath ect.....
I always have my bike preped and ready to go, so I'm not wasting time at the track. I keep my bike in my van for months at a time. I only ride on days when it's all big bikes, so I don't have to wait for the 65/85's to do their sessions. I don't often have time to sit around and shoot the shit with the boys, but they understand that.
One time on a Saturday morning I picked up my buddy and we went training together, we both did a 15-20min warm up moto, then my wife called because my son started spewing everywhere and I need to come home to look after my daughter (who was only a baby at this point) while she delt with my son and the spew. I bet my buddy wishes he had of not gone with me that day.
Family comes first, but my wife also knows that I'm a pain in the ass to live with if I don't get to go riding at least once a week.
Scull79
2/6/2018 1:17pm
I don't have nearly as much time to ride as I used to. I have a 4 and 7 year old girls with a little boy due in June. I have had both girls riding with me since they were probably a year old or younger, just sit them in my lap and strap a helmet on them and put around the yard. Family always comes first these days but it helps when your kids love riding as much as you do. Here's a pic of my oldest.

Post a reply to: New Dads Unite

The Latest