New Format

flamenco
1/7/2018 12:24pm
Not a fan of the new format in the slightest.

Here's a couple of reasons I think it is short-sighted and pandering to the lukewarm fan:

I can only watch so many of the racers during the heats, usually those in battles for transfers and the podium guys. The semis gave me an opportunity to watch the guys who are just a tick off the top pace but are trying to put it together. I get to know their styles and stories and root for them.

Those very guys have much less racing time to hone their skills, to make the main, and to race more safely when they do make the main. A full gate of less experienced racers is no bueno.

slowgti
1/7/2018 12:28pm
They need to cut the tv show down to 2 hours. 3 hours is entirely too long with the amount of racing shown.
slowgti
1/7/2018 12:35pm
I just did the math on the total race times.

450: 42:08
250: 36:00

Total time: 1 hour 18 minutes and 8 seconds.

That's a lot of filler

The Shop

BMSOBx2
1/7/2018 12:53pm
The only bonus I can see from the new format is that with all the filler you may not miss anything if it gets preempted by college basketball or some other drivel. Still plenty of time to get the races in.
jrrundle
1/7/2018 12:58pm
I hope they stop making all of these unnecessary changes. Seems like they are trying to bring in new viewers, while sacrificing the experience of us long time fans of the sport.
Rockinar
1/7/2018 12:59pm
I like the new format. It's "fish or cut bait". Get a big pileup in the first turn in a Heat race with big names involved and there's instantly not enough spots in LCQ for them all to transfer to the main.

Should be interesting.

RCB33
Fantasy
139th
1/7/2018 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2018 1:15pm
I think it would be great if they did bracket style racing like AX with the top 4 from each heat in the 450 for extra points or something similar to keep there from being so much wasted time. Maybe a privateer profile kind of how they did Roczen's segment...I don't know, Anything bike related is better than commercials.

Edit: Also I know commercial income is necessary so why not "work it in" on say a side bar or try to reference different sponsors through the program or have different jumps named after sponsors(for example: Toyota Triple) to make up for the lack of extra commercial breaks.
Beeby
1/7/2018 1:08pm
I imagine they need the commercials to pay the costs/make money. So I don’t know if shortening the shows and the loss of commercial income means it’s not an option.

Personally, if the mains are at 9pm local time at the stadium, I’d rather see the show start at 8:30 and show the two heats pre recorded in full, then go straight into the live main. We don’t need to learn about Ken’s dog or how to torque sprocket bolts.
1/7/2018 3:06pm
I

l’ll be the first to admit that Diana’s SX ED was a little over the top, but this is too far the other way...
1/7/2018 3:14pm
I like the new format and agree the semi's just seemed to drag things out. However, I feel cheated with so little racing. So, let's see how this plays out and how creative the "show" becomes in entertaining us.

Off the top of my head and like others also have said a 125 race would be great. Just one race. Make the mains longer. Also, I liked the focus on some of the racing within the race when a good battle would erupt. How about every now and then go through the pits earlier in the day and get random interviews or cool stuff happening and I don't mean what's happening at the Monster Disco setup in the pit either unless it's Marvin and Peick breakdancing or something funny.

One question to you all? Did the interviews seem a little more regular guy than normal last night? It seemed like the guys were loose and just talking not a bunch of robotic jargon.
1/7/2018 5:19pm
philG wrote:
I had to laugh when they put a ticker on the side of the screen saying '15mins till Dungey' and then '35 mins to Roczen Story'...
I had to laugh when they put a ticker on the side of the screen saying '15mins till Dungey' and then '35 mins to Roczen Story'... what kind of TV is that FFS... it BLOWS.

And Julianna Daniel, please , just please stop. I dont care , about social media, nobody does.

And the logic behind dropping the semi's .. guys will race hard to make it straight to the main, now guys will go back to cruising round rather than risk having to go to the LCQ.. field isnt deep enough .

I dread to think what the fill ins will be like... #makeuptomud.. WTF was that .

And while i am on one , WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A CARTOON CAT EXPLAINING THE POINTS..... WE DO NOT HAVE A TARGET AUDIENCE OF PRE-SCHOOLERS.

Diabolical .. utter shite for prime time saturday night, and even worse if you are watching live in the UK at 3am.
it was supposed to be a “monster”
vetmxr
1/7/2018 7:16pm
Last year I had it timed so that if I waited 45 minutes to start watching while fast forwarding through anything not between gate drop and checkered flag That I could watch the 450 main live.....not sure yet for this year. But I will soon know.....DVR is the way to go for me.
PRM31
1/7/2018 7:19pm
At least by watching at home I was able to do other things around the house between races. Can you imagine being at the stadium with all that dead time!
vetmxr
1/7/2018 7:22pm
TbonesPop wrote:
This thread is pretty telling about the SX/MX community/industry as a whole. But more importantly, it speaks a lot about the entertainment value of SX. I...
This thread is pretty telling about the SX/MX community/industry as a whole. But more importantly, it speaks a lot about the entertainment value of SX. I personally love watching all the races, from the heats, semi's, LCQs, and mains. To me, the more races, the better. I also watch the SXlive program to watch qualifying. When I go to the races in PHX, I watch all of the qualifying sessions. Shoot, I like to go watch local races. But I realize, I'm not the average fan. That said, I would go a step farther and say that anybody that rides a dirt bike, is signed up on VitalMX, and actively posts on an internet message board is not the average casual fan either. Considering the amount of posters on this board that don't like the heats/semi's/LCQs before the mains, it concerns me regarding the entertainment value for people like my wife and daughter who don't give 2 shits about racing other than the slight cool factor of it all to them.

How do we grow the sport when half of the die hard fans don't even want to watch the earlier races in the program? I love it, but I see that others don't. I want more racing, less filler. But as many have posted here, they don't. And when some of the die-hards don't, that's a problem.
Good tight racing I love to death and can't get enough of, no matter the skill level.

Good racing for 5 turns, and then a follow the leader I can't even stay awake for let alone care about.

I thought the racing itself was awesome Saturday night. Almost every moto.

I consider myself a really big fan but not obsessed like earlier in life.
lestat
1/7/2018 7:52pm
KennyT wrote:
3 hour time a lot for SX doesn’t work. It would be like showing scrimmages and workouts before a NFL game, batting practice before baseball etc...
3 hour time a lot for SX doesn’t work. It would be like showing scrimmages and workouts before a NFL game, batting practice before baseball etc. SX should be a 1 hour program with the only races that count, the 2 mains
Totally agree . Highlight and recap the racing from the qualifying and then two live mains , and good night and see you next week . That’s it .
1/7/2018 7:53pm
Semi's were lame.
dimetime wrote:
Regardless l'd still rather watch racing at the stadium. Still wayyyy better than two dudes load crap in a truck and little girls singing. Also, the...
Regardless l'd still rather watch racing at the stadium.

Still wayyyy better than two dudes load crap in a truck and little girls singing.

Also, the commercials are bad enough on TV but l sure as hell didn't pay good money to watch them over and over at the stadium.
That is why I quit going to Supercross. They make damn good money on the entry to the stadium that I pay for, I don't think they need the money from those commercials at a live event, pissed me off so bad that I quit going years ago, and I know many others like me.
Beeby
1/7/2018 7:55pm
I’d be interested in the views of someone that was there actually? Was there a lot of downtime? I’ve potentially got 10+ family and friends coming to the Atlanta round that have never been to a supercross before. Are they going to be bored?
Knobbyjake
1/7/2018 8:00pm
And please get rid of Jenny Taft and her way too often snippets of human interest. Sideline reporters on football games don't get that many go- tos.
Knobbyjake
1/7/2018 8:09pm
And please get rid of Jenny Taft and her way too often snippets of human interest. Sideline reporters on football games don't get that many go- tos.
mb60
1/7/2018 8:23pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
And please get rid of Jenny Taft and her way too often snippets of human interest. Sideline reporters on football games don't get that many go-...
I'm sure you will catch hell about Jenny Taft but could not agree with you more. It's 2 minutes of everytime she speaks about crap that happened last year. She does a great job on the podium but please stop with her acting like a insider.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
1/7/2018 9:04pm
They tried removing the semis a few to years ago and it was not only an utter failure, but a freaking joke!
Beeby
1/8/2018 5:16am
Ok so who do we make aware of the feedback? We can all complain on message boards but if the people who plan this stuff aren’t aware then all that will happen is people will go this year, think it sucks and not go next year and the sport will be on its arse.
GTCD15317
1/8/2018 6:02am
I read somewhere that FELD did a study, and removed Semis because people watching on TV 1 : loose interest, and 2: only want to see the Stars of the sport so they change the channel or don't watch the later it gets.....(seems ass backwards, i know) so they made the program unbearably boring in return and full of fluff....it did seem like the racing segments flew by, and before you knew it, it was make up ans mud time... just needs to be a 2hrs show/package, pretty simple.
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3676th
1/8/2018 6:32am
Two less races should mean less time...why does it still take 3 hrs??
mx196
Fantasy
4100th
1/8/2018 6:40am
GTCD15317 wrote:
I read somewhere that FELD did a study, and removed Semis because people watching on TV 1 : loose interest, and 2: only want to see...
I read somewhere that FELD did a study, and removed Semis because people watching on TV 1 : loose interest, and 2: only want to see the Stars of the sport so they change the channel or don't watch the later it gets.....(seems ass backwards, i know) so they made the program unbearably boring in return and full of fluff....it did seem like the racing segments flew by, and before you knew it, it was make up ans mud time... just needs to be a 2hrs show/package, pretty simple.
Bingo.
The passing by fan will in return get bored during those "fluff," segments, rather than the semi's. I don't mind the stretch in between, its easy to pass that time with MadSkills and Yuengling.
JayBraap19
1/8/2018 6:41am
My fiancé (who like any loving woman shows interest in the sport due to my passion) claimed that she thought it was better because she would lose interest with so many “qualifying” races. She also exclaimed that the filler that they put on tv to compensate was garbage... We’re interested to see how the format is live here in Phoenix.
bball35
1/8/2018 6:43am
If FELD really wants us jerkies to see the top guys more then they need to increase the heats to 8minutes plus one lap and the lcq to 5 minutes plus 1 lap.
kNewc
1/8/2018 6:46am
The "Educational Cat" was super lame and didn't cater to anyone in the MX/SX realm. Why not have Emig or RC explain the new rules? I enjoy the social scoops and Science of Supercross. But yea, my DVR Saves me. I can watch all the races Sunday morning in less than an hour. I mean, I still watched it live...But I could do without another Roczen video for awhile.
1/8/2018 7:00am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 7:25am
On the plus side, the track actually seemed to hold up.

If they could condense the program down to 2 hours minus the semis, I think it'd be onto something. As is, the programming is now just a whole fuckload of commercials into a 3 minute feature, back to a whole fuckload more commercials... And occasionally, a race.

Post a reply to: New Format

The Latest