New Helmet Time—Shoei VFX-EVO or Alpinestars SM10 Bell Moto 9

redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
Edited Date/Time 12/2/2018 11:18pm
Looking at getting a new helmet for next year. Currently I’m looking at either a Shoei VFX-EVO or an Alpinestars SM10. Anybody have any experience with either of these? Currently I’m wearing a Shoei VFX-W size L, how close size wise are these helmets? Thanks
|
redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
11/15/2018 2:46pm
I wore a medium VFX-W and feel very comfy in my new medium VFX-Evo.
How much room is there between the chin bar and your mouth? I tried on another brand and if I stuck my lips out I could touch the chin bar. Really want something with a bit of room between.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/15/2018 2:49pm
How much room is there between the chin bar and your mouth? I tried on another brand and if I stuck my lips out I could...
How much room is there between the chin bar and your mouth? I tried on another brand and if I stuck my lips out I could touch the chin bar. Really want something with a bit of room between.
The Evo is pretty similar to the VFX-W
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
11/15/2018 2:53pm
I have an evo, don’t do it. The liner system is garbage now ( they did warranty me a new one) I just bought a sm10 today so we’ll see how it compares

The Shop

DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
11/15/2018 2:59pm
DTR830 wrote:
I have an evo, don’t do it. The liner system is garbage now ( they did warranty me a new one) I just bought a sm10...
I have an evo, don’t do it. The liner system is garbage now ( they did warranty me a new one) I just bought a sm10 today so we’ll see how it compares

I’m a medium VFX w & evo
Going off the size chart I bought a large alpinestar
Spooner
11/15/2018 7:04pm
I’ve been running the Alpinestars helmet for a while now and love it. It’s super light and the ventilation is amazing. The fit is great plus it’s adjustable so you can fine tune it. Different size cheek pads will be available soon too if you need them. You can run hydration in it if you want too which works awesome.

11/15/2018 7:06pm
I've been a Moto-9 guy, but I'm waiting for Black Friday to try and snag a new SE4 WITHOUT the MIPS.
11/15/2018 7:08pm
Are you dead set on those two helmets. The new atr2 and se4 are worth serious consideration imo
11/15/2018 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 8:22pm
DTR830 wrote:
I have an evo, don’t do it. The liner system is garbage now ( they did warranty me a new one) I just bought a sm10...
I have a VFX-W now, but will probably need a new helmet in the next year. What is so different with the EVO liner now?
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
11/15/2018 8:24pm
DTR830 wrote:
I have a VFX-W now, but will probably need a new helmet in the next year. What is so different with the EVO liner now?
The front clips break & then it falls out of the front every time you take the helmet off.

spoke to two others yesterday that experienced the same thing.
mtl
11/15/2018 9:15pm
6d.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
11/15/2018 11:33pm
mtl wrote:
6d.
is that 3d x2 ?
11/16/2018 3:53am
while we are talking helmets anyone know the difference in the new TLD se4 polylycrite shell and their composite version?
Weight.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
11/16/2018 4:49am
I got a sm10 a month or so ago. Local dealer had them for 400. Most I’ve ever spent on a helmet but so far absolutely love it.

I was using a fox v1 and it’s a cheap pos so was in the market and it just worked out.

Comes with a spare visor and decent bag to keep it in
redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
11/16/2018 5:25am
1983YZ125 wrote:
I got a sm10 a month or so ago. Local dealer had them for 400. Most I’ve ever spent on a helmet but so far absolutely...
I got a sm10 a month or so ago. Local dealer had them for 400. Most I’ve ever spent on a helmet but so far absolutely love it.

I was using a fox v1 and it’s a cheap pos so was in the market and it just worked out.

How is the fit on the chin bar? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like it too be so close I can touch it with my lips.
Spooner
11/16/2018 5:55am
1983YZ125 wrote:
I got a sm10 a month or so ago. Local dealer had them for 400. Most I’ve ever spent on a helmet but so far absolutely...

How is the fit on the chin bar? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like it too be so close I can touch it with...
How is the fit on the chin bar? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like it too be so close I can touch it with my lips.
It’s not close to your face like some helmets tend to be.
11/16/2018 6:00am
The evo is good. I tested it on hard pack with my head pretty hard. Didn't get knocked out. I didn't find any cracks in it either but the shell is pretty horrid looking now and I don't know if I should even wear it
Lynch
11/16/2018 6:08am
The evo is good. I tested it on hard pack with my head pretty hard. Didn't get knocked out. I didn't find any cracks in it...
The evo is good. I tested it on hard pack with my head pretty hard. Didn't get knocked out. I didn't find any cracks in it either but the shell is pretty horrid looking now and I don't know if I should even wear it
Dont! Your head is worth way more than to take a chance like that.
stonerb
11/16/2018 6:39am
Shoei has a free inspection program. They can check it out for you, to see if it’s still safe to use.
Lastander
11/16/2018 8:27am
How’s the new FLY helmets? I get 2 FLY for the price of 1 Shoei so take that in to consideration.
But i also heard a rumor that the swedish Fly importer might have fucked up somehow and now no swedish dealer have no way to get the stuff in to the country, paging JT$?
brocsdad
11/16/2018 8:31am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 8:32am
How much room is there between the chin bar and your mouth? I tried on another brand and if I stuck my lips out I could...
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at WW in FL and the bike landed on him. Somehow the crossbar went between the his chin and the helmet resulting in a broken jaw and 4 teeth being knocked out. They saved 3 but he will need a bone graft and an implant for the missing tooth.

He was wearing a JUST1 Helmet and the helmet did it's job as far as protecting his head but the mouth is a different story. I'm sure he would have suffered injuries no matter what helmet he was wearing but there is a large gap in the chin area.

I will be out of pocket around $15k when all is said and done and we took the year off and sold the bike. Hopefully we can return sometime next year. When that time comes we will be wearing the new LS2 Subverter Helmet. They offer excellent protection. lightweight and venting second to none. Don't let the price point scare you because they manufacture several of the high end helmets on the market. They can sale the subverter cheaper because they own the factory and there's no middle man.

Titan1
11/16/2018 9:47am
brocsdad wrote:
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at...
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at WW in FL and the bike landed on him. Somehow the crossbar went between the his chin and the helmet resulting in a broken jaw and 4 teeth being knocked out. They saved 3 but he will need a bone graft and an implant for the missing tooth.

He was wearing a JUST1 Helmet and the helmet did it's job as far as protecting his head but the mouth is a different story. I'm sure he would have suffered injuries no matter what helmet he was wearing but there is a large gap in the chin area.

I will be out of pocket around $15k when all is said and done and we took the year off and sold the bike. Hopefully we can return sometime next year. When that time comes we will be wearing the new LS2 Subverter Helmet. They offer excellent protection. lightweight and venting second to none. Don't let the price point scare you because they manufacture several of the high end helmets on the market. They can sale the subverter cheaper because they own the factory and there's no middle man.

My brother just bought the LS2...I bought a Suomy...after trying on his LS2, I wish I'd of purchased that one. It looks great...is crazy light...super comfortable...and is way ventilated.

The mouth guard is very close to the face though...it would take some getting used to for me, I think.
psg119
11/16/2018 9:53am
I've been a Moto-9 guy, but I'm waiting for Black Friday to try and snag a new SE4 WITHOUT the MIPS.
Without the MIPS?
brocsdad
11/16/2018 12:04pm
brocsdad wrote:
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at...

Titan1 wrote:
My brother just bought the LS2...I bought a Suomy...after trying on his LS2, I wish I'd of purchased that one. It looks great...is crazy light...super comfortable...and...
My brother just bought the LS2...I bought a Suomy...after trying on his LS2, I wish I'd of purchased that one. It looks great...is crazy light...super comfortable...and is way ventilated.

The mouth guard is very close to the face though...it would take some getting used to for me, I think.
I wished my son would have had one on with a the mouth piece closer. It's been a rough year!
redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
11/16/2018 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 2:18pm
DTR830 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/15/302684/s1200_42B80E0A_BB5F_4240_89DA_80D5714C6C35.jpg[/img] I’m a medium VFX w & evo Going off the size chart I bought a large alpinestar

I’m a medium VFX w & evo
According to the Alpinestars size chart I am the very top of Large. Should I go with an XL? Don’t want it to be too tight that’s it’s uncomfortable.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
11/16/2018 5:03pm
psg119 wrote:
Without the MIPS?
They only come with MIPS.. it was the big feature upgrade from SE3
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
11/16/2018 7:34pm
DTR830 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/15/302684/s1200_42B80E0A_BB5F_4240_89DA_80D5714C6C35.jpg[/img] I’m a medium VFX w & evo Going off the size chart I bought a large alpinestar

I’m a medium VFX w & evo
According to the Alpinestars size chart I am the very top of Large. Should I go with an XL? Don’t want it to be too tight...
According to the Alpinestars size chart I am the very top of Large. Should I go with an XL? Don’t want it to be too tight that’s it’s uncomfortable.
I’ll let you know the sizing when I receive mine
redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
11/17/2018 1:00pm
What about the Bell Moto 9 with MIPS? How do they fit? Do the Carbon Flex fit any differently? Im gonna be running Spy Goggles also if anybody has any experience with how those fit in any of these helmets? Thanks.
JB500
11/17/2018 6:51pm
What about the Bell Moto 9 with MIPS? How do they fit? Do the Carbon Flex fit any differently? Im gonna be running Spy Goggles also...
What about the Bell Moto 9 with MIPS? How do they fit? Do the Carbon Flex fit any differently? Im gonna be running Spy Goggles also if anybody has any experience with how those fit in any of these helmets? Thanks.
Love my new Moto9. It’s the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn. I wear 100% goggles, and if you have the nose piece on your goggles, you have two choices: take the nose piece off the goggles, or take the extension nose rubber piece off the helmet. I take it off the helmet itself, about a 1” or so rubber snap in piece. This also makes it have a bit more open feel. Magnetic pads are also really nice.

Post a reply to: New Helmet Time—Shoei VFX-EVO or Alpinestars SM10 Bell Moto 9

The Latest