"New" Neken Spring/Air Triple Clamp Observations

rikhek
Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 6:29pm
I took the plunge and bought the "new" Nexen Spring/Air clamp to try on my 17 450 SX-F. As Neken makes the clamps for KTM I only had to buy the top clamp which houses the mechanical spring/air components. Note the clamp I bought is the newly released model with two mechanical springs and a single schrader valve to fine tune/adjust pressure/movement. It's not the "expensive" one that is 100% air that Dungey and several other pros have been using. I believe they're new enough that they're only available for KTM/HUS but will soon be available for Jap bikes.

All I can say is WOW, what a difference. Love the clamp. I've been riding MX for 47 years. Currently I’m an intermediate 57 year old vet and have been nursing a VERY sore shoulder for nearly 6 months but riding every weekend so it doesn’t have time to heal. Pain is bad enough that it’s difficult to sleep or even use the arm during the week.

Rode at Reynard’s the past two weeks and pain is GREATLY reduced. I find it hard to imagine the clamp made this much of a difference but I guarantee it’s not my imagination. I’m able to use my arm and sleep. Still sore but SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. The clamp is the only variable in the equation.

I’m sold on it not just for the pain relief for which I bought it but also for the performance improvement. Front end was more “settled” and controllable. Much better “feel”. My riding was definitely improved. Wish I had one of these about ten years ago.

I highly recommend it. Just amazing.

Rick

|
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/27/2017 4:38pm
Did you purchase just the top clamp or top/bottom?
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/27/2017 4:44pm
I am glad I am not the only one that likes the new version! I like them so much and love my Honda steering stabilizer so much Motovate Racing is making me a clamp so I can run both! The SFS air canisters get in the way of the ride engineering clamp so this is the route we had to go. Dungey and Anderson have ran this set up.

rikhek
12/27/2017 4:48pm
smv ryder wrote:
Did you purchase just the top clamp or top/bottom?
As I wrote above: "As Neken makes the clamps for KTM I only had to buy the top clamp which houses the mechanical spring/air components".

FYI, I first saw the "new" clamp in a recent issue of MXA:

smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/27/2017 5:14pm
rikhek wrote:
As I wrote above: "As Neken makes the clamps for KTM I only had to buy the top clamp which houses the mechanical spring/air components". FYI...
As I wrote above: "As Neken makes the clamps for KTM I only had to buy the top clamp which houses the mechanical spring/air components".

FYI, I first saw the "new" clamp in a recent issue of MXA:

My bad my man!
I purchased mine in September so been running them for a little time.
What psi are you running?

The Shop

rikhek
12/28/2017 8:25am
Depending on track conditions I'm running between 100 to 115. I think 110 will be where I end up. It really doesn't seem to be anywhere near as critical as fork pressure and anywhere in the 100 - 120 range seems to work well. However, at the end of the day with the track beat up 100 is a bit soft...

rikhek
12/28/2017 8:30am
I'm not sure what MXA is talking about where they state there's not much room to access the Schrader valve and as such they add and "guesstimate" the pressure. Any of the "no pressure loss" suspension pumps such as the electronic one which come with the KTM/HUS are very easy to get on the Schrader valve without even removing the front plate. Turn the bars to the left and there's nothing to it and you can set pressure exactly as you want just like forks.

I'm puzzled at what MXA is saying specific to getting an accurate pressure setting as they're wrong....

Rick
12/28/2017 11:44am
rikhek wrote:
I'm not sure what MXA is talking about where they state there's not much room to access the Schrader valve and as such they add and...
I'm not sure what MXA is talking about where they state there's not much room to access the Schrader valve and as such they add and "guesstimate" the pressure. Any of the "no pressure loss" suspension pumps such as the electronic one which come with the KTM/HUS are very easy to get on the Schrader valve without even removing the front plate. Turn the bars to the left and there's nothing to it and you can set pressure exactly as you want just like forks.

I'm puzzled at what MXA is saying specific to getting an accurate pressure setting as they're wrong....

Rick
They probably need to go up on on the rear sprocket.
rikhek
12/28/2017 12:26pm
LOL. Yeah, that's the ticket and they also should check the spoke next to the rim lock.
PFitzG38
12/28/2017 12:46pm
smv ryder wrote:
I am glad I am not the only one that likes the new version! I like them so much and love my Honda steering stabilizer so...
I am glad I am not the only one that likes the new version! I like them so much and love my Honda steering stabilizer so much Motovate Racing is making me a clamp so I can run both! The SFS air canisters get in the way of the ride engineering clamp so this is the route we had to go. Dungey and Anderson have ran this set up.

Very interested in what you got going on there. I have the original air sfs and was missing a stabilizer, I'll have to contact Motivate for the fender fitting and weld on piece. Looks clean.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/28/2017 5:00pm
PFitzG38 wrote:
Very interested in what you got going on there. I have the original air sfs and was missing a stabilizer, I'll have to contact Motivate for...
Very interested in what you got going on there. I have the original air sfs and was missing a stabilizer, I'll have to contact Motivate for the fender fitting and weld on piece. Looks clean.
Thank you Dude! Motovate Racing is a great shop on the western slope of Colorado, Bob will do anything for his customers hence the awesomeness I am up too! Still working on what Husky paint we will use but it will look real sano. The weld will look factory as well! He rebuilt the Honda stabilizer with a Racetech gold valve and re valved it for off road.. Works very very well for me and I can’t wait to see what the both of them will be like!
Motovate racing 9704562678
Bob is his name
jeffro503
12/28/2017 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2017 5:28pm
This is one trick looking setup! SMV , did they mention that they may carry those braces for the steering stabilizer's for future customer's? BTW.....is there a chance I could take a look at what and how that's mounted up without the front plate? I'm just really digging that setup.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/28/2017 5:09pm
rikhek wrote:
Depending on track conditions I'm running between 100 to 115. I think 110 will be where I end up. It really doesn't seem to be anywhere...
Depending on track conditions I'm running between 100 to 115. I think 110 will be where I end up. It really doesn't seem to be anywhere near as critical as fork pressure and anywhere in the 100 - 120 range seems to work well. However, at the end of the day with the track beat up 100 is a bit soft...

Wow!!!! I am running it way soft, I am still running 75psi from the break in but want to try 85psi and 65psi. I am using my set up for enduro/off road but now curious what 110psi feels like
Bruce372
12/28/2017 5:45pm
rikhek wrote:
LOL. Yeah, that's the ticket and they also should check the spoke next to the rim lock.
Yes Virginia
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/28/2017 5:53pm
jeffro503 wrote:
This is one trick looking setup! SMV , did they mention that they may carry those braces for the steering stabilizer's for future customer's? BTW.....is there...
This is one trick looking setup! SMV , did they mention that they may carry those braces for the steering stabilizer's for future customer's? BTW.....is there a chance I could take a look at what and how that's mounted up without the front plate? I'm just really digging that setup.
Thank you Jeffro! Motovate Racing is just a one man shop but I am 100% he will! The pictures are only mock up, hopefully the weld goes down tomorrow and paint over the weekend but that’s asking so much for the holiday weekend. As soon as the work is done I will post photos in another post! Thank you for digging it, it’s way over the top for me but WTF.. Brrraaappp
jeffro503
12/28/2017 6:03pm
jeffro503 wrote:
This is one trick looking setup! SMV , did they mention that they may carry those braces for the steering stabilizer's for future customer's? BTW.....is there...
smv ryder wrote:
Thank you Jeffro! Motovate Racing is just a one man shop but I am 100% he will! The pictures are only mock up, hopefully the weld...
Thank you Jeffro! Motovate Racing is just a one man shop but I am 100% he will! The pictures are only mock up, hopefully the weld goes down tomorrow and paint over the weekend but that’s asking so much for the holiday weekend. As soon as the work is done I will post photos in another post! Thank you for digging it, it’s way over the top for me but WTF.. Brrraaappp
That's awesome man! And you already have done an awesome job. I would love to see some pics of how it looks after it's all done up. I won't critique the welds or anything like that , just really curious on what it'll look like in the end.

This thread got me searching for an OEM CRF steering stabilizer haha. I think I may do this setup on my TC250 this spring. Almost every 250 2 stroke I have ever ridden gets a little shaky up front on high speeds.
swatdoc
12/28/2017 6:25pm
Did the same to my '16 KTM so I could run the Honda stabilizer with the Neken clamps

smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/28/2017 6:37pm
jeffro503 wrote:
That's awesome man! And you already have done an awesome job. I would love to see some pics of how it looks after it's all done...
That's awesome man! And you already have done an awesome job. I would love to see some pics of how it looks after it's all done up. I won't critique the welds or anything like that , just really curious on what it'll look like in the end.

This thread got me searching for an OEM CRF steering stabilizer haha. I think I may do this setup on my TC250 this spring. Almost every 250 2 stroke I have ever ridden gets a little shaky up front on high speeds.
Thank you again! The pictures will be sent to you 100%.
I have an extra less than 1 hour 24mm OEM CRF steering stabilizer for sale if you are looking. Let me know my man. Like you every 250 2 stroke I have ridden at high speeds feels a lil shaky, this is the perfect fix IMO. It’s not a Scott’s stabilizer or similar but a save your ass when shit hits the fan faster than your ready stabilizer IMO
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/28/2017 6:47pm
swatdoc wrote:
Did the same to my '16 KTM so I could run the Honda stabilizer with the Neken clamps[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/28/234762/s1200_242.jpg[/img]
Did the same to my '16 KTM so I could run the Honda stabilizer with the Neken clamps

Thank you for all your help! You made this so much easier for us
mark_sxf
12/29/2017 7:06am
I like them also, but run it much stiffer at 130-150 psi, and I use most of it stroke also.
ktm_kev
12/29/2017 8:21am
swatdoc wrote:
Did the same to my '16 KTM so I could run the Honda stabilizer with the Neken clamps[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/28/234762/s1200_242.jpg[/img]

That’s a sweet setup. Did you powdercoat your frame?
jeffro503
12/29/2017 10:05am
jeffro503 wrote:
That's awesome man! And you already have done an awesome job. I would love to see some pics of how it looks after it's all done...

smv ryder wrote:
Thank you again! The pictures will be sent to you 100%. I have an extra less than 1 hour 24mm OEM CRF steering stabilizer for sale...
I have an extra less than 1 hour 24mm OEM CRF steering stabilizer for sale if you are looking. Let me know my man. Like you every 250 2 stroke I have ridden at high speeds feels a lil shaky, this is the perfect fix IMO. It’s not a Scott’s stabilizer or similar but a save your ass when shit hits the fan faster than your ready stabilizer IMO
SMV......I may be interested in picking that up from you. You mentioned 24mm , were there other sizes? I wonder what was on my 08' CRF450? I remember playing around with that a bit and could really tell a difference on that bike when I stiffened it up. The way you and Swatdoc have yours set up , I'm really liking the idea of this. Those air clamps are trick as heck too , and going to do my best to track down someone with a set around here. Like to figure out exactly how they work. Send me a PM and let me know what you may want for that stabilizer , definitely interested.
swatdoc
12/29/2017 8:47pm
Kev - yea, the RAL2009
erik_94COBRA
12/30/2017 7:01am
Have recently been considering adding an HPSD to my TC250. Getting a loose front end feel while on the gas hard in 3rd-4th gear speeds. Not headshake but feels like a precursor. Are you guys getting something similar?
swatdoc
12/30/2017 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2017 4:01pm
I haven't experienced headshake on my KTM or Husky. I just like the feeling of a dampened front end. My Husky doesn't have the stabilizer yet, and a few months ago at Glen Helen, my front end hit something weird, and the bars twisted so fast and violently, that I slightly dislocated my left wrist. Took months to get better - in fact it's still a little sore at the range of motion extreme. So for me, it's kind of a safety thing? A little less likely for something like that to happen.

The ironic thing is the day before that race, I stopped in at Temecula Motorsports, and they had one of the new Mobius wrist braces. Only one. I bought it, and or course put it on my right wrist that day. Who knows - my right wrist might have got hammered too without the brace. On the way home from GH, we stopped at Chaparral, and bought a second Mobius!
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/30/2017 4:22pm
jeffro503 wrote:
SMV......I may be interested in picking that up from you. You mentioned 24mm , were there other sizes? I wonder what was on my 08' CRF450...
SMV......I may be interested in picking that up from you. You mentioned 24mm , were there other sizes? I wonder what was on my 08' CRF450? I remember playing around with that a bit and could really tell a difference on that bike when I stiffened it up. The way you and Swatdoc have yours set up , I'm really liking the idea of this. Those air clamps are trick as heck too , and going to do my best to track down someone with a set around here. Like to figure out exactly how they work. Send me a PM and let me know what you may want for that stabilizer , definitely interested.
Yes pre 2011 they were 20mm, so your 2008 CRF 450 had a 20mm model. Not sure why in 2011 they went to the bigger 24mm Piston, but one thing I have heard is you want the 24mm over the 20mm. If you revlave them for specific use they really make a difference, Racetech gold valved it’s the bees knees but not needed.
The SFS triple clamps are trick as heck for sure and I do like the feel for sure!
Do you actually gets PM’s? Or can I get an email address?
I have to thank Swatdoc for the detailed pictures and factory Husky for posting up Jason Anderson’s bike.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/30/2017 5:06pm
Literally hot off the welder.....not cleaned up so don’t judge toooo much Wink

xr70
12/30/2017 5:06pm
jeffro503 wrote:

smv ryder wrote:
Thank you again! The pictures will be sent to you 100%. I have an extra less than 1 hour 24mm OEM CRF steering stabilizer for sale...
jeffro503 wrote:
SMV......I may be interested in picking that up from you. You mentioned 24mm , were there other sizes? I wonder what was on my 08' CRF450...
Good choice dude, u definitely need that stabilizer,like that your vagina won't got sore when u riding that moped!
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
12/30/2017 5:14pm
xr70 wrote:
Good choice dude, u definitely need that stabilizer,like that your vagina won't got sore when u riding that moped!
Classic Moto bro comment... love it
Jrewing
1/1/2018 1:07pm
rikhek wrote:
I'm not sure what MXA is talking about where they state there's not much room to access the Schrader valve and as such they add and...

Rick
They probably need to go up on on the rear sprocket.
I watched an Mxa review and they said to go down 1 tooth! I had to double check that they said down..Almost fell off my chair.

Post a reply to: "New" Neken Spring/Air Triple Clamp Observations

The Latest