12/16/2018 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2018 6:46pm
Sponsors.... How do we view the SX races,
well you have to have a paid subscription
or watch it the next day.?

|
JustMX
12/17/2018 2:56am
As opposed to not watching it at all?

Has soccer not gone to the same setup for some teams?

Does football not package their product in similar ways ?

With falling attendance and viewership you don't think Nascar is looking at ppv or packaging their product?

There is turmoil in the entertainment industry right now and it is weird to imagine what it is going to look like in 5 or 10 years. Will xfinity be around in 10 years?

There are plenty of options for hour or 1/2 highlight shows that would work great for casual or uninitiated
Fans to get exposure to our sport. I bet very few people that are hooked on our sport are watching the 3 hour snooze fest that is the live broadcast.

Get them hooked on a short, packed show and reel them in for gold.

Great for die hard fans because they will even get to watch practice and qualifying.
49weasel
12/17/2018 3:15am
Danster wrote:
Sponsors.... How do we view the SX races, well you have to have a paid subscription or watch it the next day.? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/16/310702/s1200_th.jpg[/img]

I’m sure people way smarter than you did the math and it checks out.
They have 2 years of history with outdoors and SX is way more popular than MX.
Cable TV subscriptions are dropping like a lead balloon. Cord cutters are the norm now.
12/17/2018 3:27am
Danster wrote:
Sponsors.... How do we view the SX races, well you have to have a paid subscription or watch it the next day.? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/16/310702/s1200_th.jpg[/img]

49weasel wrote:
I’m sure people way smarter than you did the math and it checks out. They have 2 years of history with outdoors and SX is way...
I’m sure people way smarter than you did the math and it checks out.
They have 2 years of history with outdoors and SX is way more popular than MX.
Cable TV subscriptions are dropping like a lead balloon. Cord cutters are the norm now.
Agreed man. No cable for my wife & I. We couldn’t see spending $150 a month for something we hardly used. Supercross and one of her shows was just about all the tv was used for
Twigster
12/17/2018 3:33am
You've forgotten the international market, as have NBC and the promoters. That is a huge mistake as all you are doing is hiding a minority sport behind a paywall in order to line people's pockets.

The Shop

VicDaMoan03
12/17/2018 4:44am
Twigster wrote:
You've forgotten the international market, as have NBC and the promoters. That is a huge mistake as all you are doing is hiding a minority sport...
You've forgotten the international market, as have NBC and the promoters. That is a huge mistake as all you are doing is hiding a minority sport behind a paywall in order to line people's pockets.
To line people's pockets? It costs money to buy the rights and costs money to put on the show. I don't get all the bitching about the new package - it moved networks and that happens all the time in sports. The prices for streaming are very affordable IMO.
Twigster
12/17/2018 4:51am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2018 4:55am
Twigster wrote:
You've forgotten the international market, as have NBC and the promoters. That is a huge mistake as all you are doing is hiding a minority sport...
To line people's pockets? It costs money to buy the rights and costs money to put on the show. I don't get all the bitching about...
To line people's pockets? It costs money to buy the rights and costs money to put on the show. I don't get all the bitching about the new package - it moved networks and that happens all the time in sports. The prices for streaming are very affordable IMO.
I'll rephrase. The sport is looking to make money (as it is entitled to) from it's viewers, for the promoters. That's fine, unless you're looking to grow the sport and reach out to people who are switching off in their millions to all other types of motorsport, including NASCAR, F1, MotoGP and so on.

Like it or not, motocross/supercross is still a minority sport in the world of entertainment. People have subscriptions to tv channels and streaming services for football, rugby, NFL, NASCAR, F1, cycling and a whole crap-tonne of other sports. In that sense, hiding the premier series of dirt-bike racing behind a pay to view paywall is only going to reach people who already have an interest in it. No-one who has never seen a supercross race is going to pay a premium to start watching it.

Also, its not available internationally everywhere. Good job.
kb228
12/17/2018 5:25am
FYI there were a few races on fox that were delayed last year. Most of them are still live on a good network and the “have to buy subscription” line is a total fallacy. Its going to be on tv.

Dont like it? Cut your cable bill in half and go with Roku and hulu. Pays for itself in a few months.
kNewc
12/17/2018 5:48am
Maybe I've heard/read wrong but I thought all of the races were going to be live on NBCSN? I would say $85 a year for both motocross and supercross is worth it if you don't have cable. I have cable and I'll still probably get it for qualifying...
DonM
12/17/2018 6:10am
Great a new thread to bitch about the same thing that people are bitching about in at least two other threads....how about we give it a chance and see how it is...
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
12/17/2018 6:16am
I kinda agree with the OP , im a Core fan and im sure most here are. I personally will buy the pass and im happy to have the option to do so, But for the non core fans and for attracting new fans it not being live is bad , i mean take any sport Football, baseball,basketball, soccer, Nascar.
Would you watch a game the next day , or even 2 hours later
After knowing the winner ?
Nascar would you still watch if you already new who won?
Im sure some still would but i would bet the percentages go down, watching live adds something.
Again it wouldn't affect me per se i would still watch a supercross race and im sure most of you would too but we are already fans.
kb228
12/17/2018 6:20am
Tarz483 wrote:
I kinda agree with the OP , im a Core fan and im sure most here are. I personally will buy the pass and im happy...
I kinda agree with the OP , im a Core fan and im sure most here are. I personally will buy the pass and im happy to have the option to do so, But for the non core fans and for attracting new fans it not being live is bad , i mean take any sport Football, baseball,basketball, soccer, Nascar.
Would you watch a game the next day , or even 2 hours later
After knowing the winner ?
Nascar would you still watch if you already new who won?
Im sure some still would but i would bet the percentages go down, watching live adds something.
Again it wouldn't affect me per se i would still watch a supercross race and im sure most of you would too but we are already fans.
Im a huge fan, but if i miss a race and open any social media app for 4 seconds, the results are spoiled and i do not want to watch it. Has to be live for me to watch.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
12/17/2018 6:32am
I'm super excited to have the new SX/MX package. I have NBC Sports net for free via Playstation Vue now, but I'll also buy the NBC package as well to get all the additional coverage like the Godl package last year. Between SX and MX, there's 29 events, for $85, that's less than $3 per event. If you aren't willing to spend that, then I don't really know what to say to you. The only folks with a legit beef are international viewers where the programming isn't available. Will need to fix that down the road when possible.
Danster
12/17/2018 6:38am
How are we going to grow the sport with outside sponsorship
when it’s not going to be available to the average sports fan
looking for something new and interesting to watch.?
How will we be able to bring in outside sponsorships when
the sport is only available to the true fans of the sport.
Yes other sports have pay per view programming that is
setup for fans that are fans of teams outside of their local
Region.
Where also going to lose the interest of the kids in the future
of this sport, the interest of... mom dad I would really like to
ride and race Supercross Motocross, because again it won’t
be able for the average interest of sports fan.
As it is.... the local advertisement of a future Supercross Motocross
race is nonexistent unless your up after midnight.
If this is a way for feld, promoters to pad their pockets, then it’s
way pass the time to increase the purse money. People
working at Taco Bell make more money then a 3rd of the top
100 riders in this country.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
12/17/2018 6:44am
Am I missing something. I thought all races would be on NBC or one of its affiliates, just tape delayed?
Frank
12/17/2018 6:45am
Gang remember that the sport was 5,000% larger long before live broadcast came along. Heck the only televised race was the USGP and it was aired 6 months after the event. That did not stop hundreds of thousands of motocross fanatics from buying bikes.
Due to the time of the main events live sx does not have the same importance as in football, etc. Imagine if the NFL games were only "live" at midnight each week lol?

GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
12/17/2018 6:53am
Am I missing something. I thought all races would be on NBC or one of its affiliates, just tape delayed?
The mains will be televised, but no heats, semi's or lcq's.
DonM
12/17/2018 6:57am
Danster wrote:
How are we going to grow the sport with outside sponsorship when it’s not going to be available to the average sports fan looking for something...
How are we going to grow the sport with outside sponsorship
when it’s not going to be available to the average sports fan
looking for something new and interesting to watch.?
How will we be able to bring in outside sponsorships when
the sport is only available to the true fans of the sport.
Yes other sports have pay per view programming that is
setup for fans that are fans of teams outside of their local
Region.
Where also going to lose the interest of the kids in the future
of this sport, the interest of... mom dad I would really like to
ride and race Supercross Motocross, because again it won’t
be able for the average interest of sports fan.
As it is.... the local advertisement of a future Supercross Motocross
race is nonexistent unless your up after midnight.
If this is a way for feld, promoters to pad their pockets, then it’s
way pass the time to increase the purse money. People
working at Taco Bell make more money then a 3rd of the top
100 riders in this country.
How is it not available to the average person? NBCSN has as many if not more subscribers than FS1(way more than FS2), it is becoming like SPEED used to be with all the motorsports coverage, but with 10 times the viewership of what SPEED had...I'm just not getting you negative Nancy's
Now it's on one network that has the same subscribers for all the races, last year about 1/2 the races were on FS2 that has way fewer subscribers than NBCSN. How many viewers did we lose when the average Joe couldn't find or didn't have FS2?
These threads are no different than last year when every negative Nancy was bitching about not having FS2...Of course the next bitch thread will be about how the RaceDay live was free last year and this year you will only get that if you buy The NBCsports Gold package....I'm shocked you Nancy's haven't picked up on that yet...
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/17/2018 7:05am
GrapeApe wrote:
When the schedule says "Main Events" it means heats lcqs and mains. "Qualifying" is daytime timed qualifying, "Main Events" are races.
gt80rider
12/17/2018 7:08am
This tv deal isn't about growing the sport, it is about a price point.......... and that is a one way ticket to obscurity........
bvm111
12/17/2018 7:17am

early
Fantasy
2139th
12/17/2018 7:18am
Would the detractors be happier if live coverage was NBC gold only and all the races were broadcast on NBCSN or NBC Sunday afternoon?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
12/17/2018 7:19am
GrapeApe wrote:
early wrote:
When the schedule says "Main Events" it means heats lcqs and mains. "Qualifying" is daytime timed qualifying, "Main Events" are races.
I thought I read they are only televising the mains? I hope I'm wrong, the semi's and lcq's are the only chance to see riders not named Tomac, Roczen or Musquin.
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/17/2018 7:35am
GrapeApe wrote:
I thought I read they are only televising the mains? I hope I'm wrong, the semi's and lcq's are the only chance to see riders not...
I thought I read they are only televising the mains? I hope I'm wrong, the semi's and lcq's are the only chance to see riders not named Tomac, Roczen or Musquin.
It's just semantics. A1 night show coverage starts at 10pm EST, can't show the mains that are 2 hours in the future at that time.
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/17/2018 7:37am

Adam43
12/17/2018 8:00am
Frank wrote:
Gang remember that the sport was 5,000% larger long before live broadcast came along. Heck the only televised race was the USGP and it was aired...
Gang remember that the sport was 5,000% larger long before live broadcast came along. Heck the only televised race was the USGP and it was aired 6 months after the event. That did not stop hundreds of thousands of motocross fanatics from buying bikes.
Due to the time of the main events live sx does not have the same importance as in football, etc. Imagine if the NFL games were only "live" at midnight each week lol?

Exactly - there is almost no correlation with attendance/ratings of pro racing and the number of people participating in motocross.
lumpy790
12/17/2018 8:05am
As a sponsor ..... I do gold so I can watch our riders timed practices.

Wish they would go back to showing ALL A, B and C practices though.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
12/17/2018 8:32am
Frank wrote:
Gang remember that the sport was 5,000% larger long before live broadcast came along. Heck the only televised race was the USGP and it was aired...

Adam43 wrote:
Exactly - there is almost no correlation with attendance/ratings of pro racing and the number of people participating in motocross.
I believe that to be a core fan of pro Supercross, and Pro Motocross, to truly appreciate it, you have yo have ridden a dirt bike at some point in your life.
Im not saying that you cant be a fan if you havent, but it just clicks you know how difficult it is to do what these guys are doing, how tiring it is and how easy it is to crash.
TeamGreen
12/17/2018 8:50am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2018 9:06am
Danster wrote:

I'll start by answering "How do we view the SX races...?"

Here's how:

So, as you can tell...there are TEN LIVE BROADCASTS & the rest will be shown on "Tape Delay" or the next day. So, where's the problem? If you don't have cable? Well, how did you watch it when it was on FS1 or FS2, etc.?

Now, on top of the NBC networks, you can get their "gold" subscription package and see it live/steaming on any device you want!

So, again...and I realize this IS the Inter-Webs...

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?!?!
MXMattii
12/17/2018 8:56am
Last year I payed that Supercross package - and sometimes I watched it live and sometimes I watched it the next day. Now with NBC Gold Belgium is excluded and I'm not interested in buying VPN Nord for example to use it to watch NBC Gold. Because that would be illegal. But if I don't pay and download the torrents or watch it on the different russian video websites it will be illegal also.

I don't care to pay, I mean I pay for cable, Netflix, MXGP.TV, UFC TV, ... and please FELD, MXSports, Youthstream look at UFC.TV and just make one website/smartphone/smart TV/Kodi/Apple/... addon with all your guys live streams on. Just like UFC is doing, they partnered up with almost all the major MMA organizations so you only need to have one account to see most of the MMA fights in the world.

Live AMA Motocross, MXGP, AMA Supercross and if you want to make it only American then make something that combines: AMA Motocross, AMA Supercross, All big Amateur Races, American Flattrack, AMA Supermoto, AMA Superbike... and for a nice price and available from Russia to South Africa from America to Australia.

Post a reply to: New TV Supercross deal is bad for sponsors and future sponsors

The Latest