No team Belgium in 2018 at MXON

MXMattii
10/24/2017 7:56am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 10:25am
The title says it all. Sources are telling me that it is very likely that there will be no Team Belgium at the MXON in the USA if there won't be any financial support from Youthstream. The local government body is broke, FMB-BMB and Joel Smets has resigned as team coach because he smells that a shit storm is coming. Making this trip with only private sponsors will be hard and very unlikely. Also I don't see teams make any afford after 19/20 GP's.

|
line-up
10/24/2017 8:05am
Joel Smets has stepped down as Team manager of the Belgian motocross of Nations team. The five times world motocross champion who took over the role from Joel Roberts back 11 years ago, has decided after lengthy thought to hand the job over to somebody else.

“After 11 beautiful years, with Team Belgium MXoN, I are proud to say goodbye to our job as team managers of the Belgian team. When I entered the footsteps of my legendary name mate Joel Robert 11 years ago, it was perfect in my idea of ​​a so-called conversion. I had a half-time job and therefore had some time off to keep up with things I thought during my career: could not be better, including a professional (top sports) youth training for mx and Team Belgium MXoN.

“However, my professional situation has changed drastically from ‘I’ve got a hand free’ to ‘my hands more than full’ throughout those years. In addition, an active teenage daughter and son who occasionally ask for some attention! Furthermore, my wife does not mind when I’m home for a day.

Finally, I dreamt of government support as one of the overarching and professionally structured federations, as in most other sports and in our neighboring countries. In the ideal world, both of the above-mentioned projects should be sent from that federation … the realization that after more than 10 years, that ideal world is still not tomorrow, I feel sad and undermine my faith in a flourishing future for mx in Belgium.”
TDeath21
10/24/2017 8:16am
GP guys shouldn't come to the states for the MXoN race. Too much travel amidst their busy GP schedule. They just need a break. Not to fly overseas for a not points paying race.
Adam43
10/24/2017 8:26am
Directing more of the event's take towards the countries home federations would be a good start.

It would be more of an incentive to participate if there were some proceeds to develop the sport back home.

"Glory" doesn't quite cut it when the event is a windfall for Giuseppe and no one else.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
10/24/2017 8:33am
The riders/teams take one for Youthstream all year long. Would think they could find it in there heart to "do it for the love of the sport" and have all income from this event go back to the teams to pay them/get them there ~ wherever "there" is

The Shop

10/24/2017 8:55am
Chess move from team Belgium trying to force some money out of Youthstreams pocket
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/24/2017 8:57am
Chess move from team Belgium trying to force some money out of Youthstreams pocket
I think all the European teams should boycott the 2018 mxdn, maybe then the US could finally win it Cool
APLMAN99
10/24/2017 9:05am
Obviously there is still time for this to change, but if they end up not doing the event will they be labeled as traitors to their country like Tomac has been?

Cool
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
10/24/2017 9:48am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Obviously there is still time for this to change, but if they end up not doing the event will they be labeled as traitors to their...
Obviously there is still time for this to change, but if they end up not doing the event will they be labeled as traitors to their country like Tomac has been?

Cool
I hope so
ehr400
10/24/2017 10:23am
Wait I thought they should pay for their own way because it is a honor to do the MXDN according to the Euro chest thumpers? I mean when it came up for the reason why the US based riders weren't super crazy about it, this was the GP chest thumpers way to take another thinly veiled shot against us. Oh wait it, it is one of their own, just imagine the shit storm from these assholes if Roger said this? Yep, carry on.......
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/24/2017 10:27am
early wrote:
I think all the European teams should boycott the 2018 mxdn, maybe then the US could finally win it Cool
Oh brother.
DPR250R
10/24/2017 10:29am
ehr400 wrote:
Wait I thought they should pay for their own way because it is a honor to do the MXDN according to the Euro chest thumpers? I...
Wait I thought they should pay for their own way because it is a honor to do the MXDN according to the Euro chest thumpers? I mean when it came up for the reason why the US based riders weren't super crazy about it, this was the GP chest thumpers way to take another thinly veiled shot against us. Oh wait it, it is one of their own, just imagine the shit storm from these assholes if Roger said this? Yep, carry on.......
This is different... this is a fly away race for them. Oh shit wait..

In all seriousness... shame they are not gonna make it. I love the MXoN and always hope to see the best go at it from bith sides of the pond.
therealhammer
10/24/2017 10:42am
The sport is truly hurting, sponsors are paying less which means less money to go around to the riders and making the teams struggle to make their budgets go far enough to travel to all the races.

Less races for both SX and MX with more weekends off lets guys riders recover, doesn't burn them out ( potentially lengthening some of their careers), also gives mechanics some more weekends off and lets the teams get financially a bit more comfortable.

MXON needs to be every other year, stop with the greed and make the guys care about it. If its only every other year the guys know they might only get 1 or 2 chances at it in their primes and might make more of an effort to attend. Having the event every year is just based on greed from the promoter not wanting to lose out on a money maker of a weekend. Its not like he is profit sharing from the gate and sponsors for that weekend, he is putting himself before the sport.

The sport is bleeding its self dry from within, the guys at the top need to look up and realize the horizon is not looking great unless they change it.

10/24/2017 10:43am
It will be a shame if Belgium isn't able to send the best riders, as is a shame that any country aren't able to send their best for what ever the reason may be.
It might be time for youthstream to realise that Motocross is a niche sport and if they want it to become a mainstream sport it might be wise to invest before it fades away.
philG
10/24/2017 10:51am
Nothing there that says they wont go, just that Smets wont be taking them,
MXMattii
10/24/2017 2:48pm
philG wrote:
I was the first one who said Hunter L. signed with Geico, idem about Gariboldi/Lancelot Honda team and other stuff. Don't wanna be cocky but believe me when I say that I have sources that share this intel with me. Bye the way it is also published on bmb-fmb media partner website: mxmag.be
10/24/2017 2:56pm
I like to think of this as a big middle finger to Youthstream more than a "we can't afford to go" type of deal. It's BS that every year Youthstream cashes in on riders nationalistic pride and give very little back in return.
philG
10/24/2017 3:08pm
philG wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
I was the first one who said Hunter L. signed with Geico, idem about Gariboldi/Lancelot Honda team and other stuff. Don't wanna be cocky but believe...
I was the first one who said Hunter L. signed with Geico, idem about Gariboldi/Lancelot Honda team and other stuff. Don't wanna be cocky but believe me when I say that I have sources that share this intel with me. Bye the way it is also published on bmb-fmb media partner website: mxmag.be
There is nothing there that says they wont go, more that they have not confirmed that they will go... not the same, but yes i get what you are saying,

At this point, less than 1 month after the last MXoN , it is far too early to say they dont go.
10/24/2017 3:43pm
Imagine what its like for country’s like Australia and New Zealand who have to travel huge distances every year for this event. All these power house country’s saying they need more money well CRY ME A FUCKING RIVER.
MXMattii
10/24/2017 4:11pm
philG wrote:
There is nothing there that says they wont go, more that they have not confirmed that they will go... not the same, but yes i get...
There is nothing there that says they wont go, more that they have not confirmed that they will go... not the same, but yes i get what you are saying,

At this point, less than 1 month after the last MXoN , it is far too early to say they dont go.
The biggest problem is that two diehard fund seekers are also leaving together with Joel Smets. So that won't make things easier. People who normally use their connections to find some funds are leaving and now someone else needs to stand up and to find money to do a mxon race, ten times more expensive.
blueracer
10/24/2017 4:19pm
New Zealand has a well thought out event to fundraise to send our team over. We have a ‘NZ club Of Nations’, where each MX club in NZ send their best riders to race each other in the Des nations format at a local track in Taupo, with the event earnings going towards funding the NZ team to travel to the event. Not sure how much $ they achieve to raise every year, but it’s a good way to get the country and sport involved to help out the team.

10/24/2017 4:34pm
blueracer wrote:
New Zealand has a well thought out event to fundraise to send our team over. We have a ‘NZ club Of Nations’, where each MX club...
New Zealand has a well thought out event to fundraise to send our team over. We have a ‘NZ club Of Nations’, where each MX club in NZ send their best riders to race each other in the Des nations format at a local track in Taupo, with the event earnings going towards funding the NZ team to travel to the event. Not sure how much $ they achieve to raise every year, but it’s a good way to get the country and sport involved to help out the team.

See i bet to help costs as well they send just the people they need and not a whole army of cling-ons.
The other countries need to look at this fund raising option as well.
Yes Youthstream need to help out as well not just selected nations but all who qualified the previous year maybe.
bents
Fantasy
694th
10/24/2017 6:20pm
The sport is truly hurting, sponsors are paying less which means less money to go around to the riders and making the teams struggle to make...
The sport is truly hurting, sponsors are paying less which means less money to go around to the riders and making the teams struggle to make their budgets go far enough to travel to all the races.

Less races for both SX and MX with more weekends off lets guys riders recover, doesn't burn them out ( potentially lengthening some of their careers), also gives mechanics some more weekends off and lets the teams get financially a bit more comfortable.

MXON needs to be every other year, stop with the greed and make the guys care about it. If its only every other year the guys know they might only get 1 or 2 chances at it in their primes and might make more of an effort to attend. Having the event every year is just based on greed from the promoter not wanting to lose out on a money maker of a weekend. Its not like he is profit sharing from the gate and sponsors for that weekend, he is putting himself before the sport.

The sport is bleeding its self dry from within, the guys at the top need to look up and realize the horizon is not looking great unless they change it.

I totally agree with it being every other year. It is too much of a burden for all of the stakeholders of this sport to do all that work for one race every year, especially when Youthstream seems to be the one true winner in this whole thing. Just like the Ryder Cup-every other year builds excitement and anticipation, and it gives countries time to plan and generate the funds to go, and this race should ALTERNATE every other year between the US and Europe. Now we would have a fair contest.
Bearuno
10/24/2017 7:49pm
Well, As philG said, I see no definitive statement that Belgium will not attend.

Just that Joel Smets is standing down from a position he has filled so well, for 11 years, so he could better do his job ( for KTM) and have more time for his family and himself. A Great of our sport.

The Belgium Federation may well have some difficulties - many sporting organisations do. Hell, just after the Australian ISDE Teams dominated the event, the majority of funding for Motorcycle Sport was pulled, to waste, as usual, on our , largely, non achieving Olympics Team. Classic - gain World success, and the Tools in power ignore it, and waste public funds on no hopers.....

I doubt it will ever happen, but, if the major, long term participant Nations, if not All of the Nation's, all got together and nailed that Prick Luongo to the wall with a Genuine threat to not attend, unless adequate funding was given to All teams to attend, well, it would be a good thing.

That Pig is making a fortune from the MXDN, And the GPs. He needs to take care of the Golden Goose, and not fist rape it for the eggs as he has now for years and years.

As for every second year - fuck that - it's a view inevitably expressed the last few years by US fans with their losing streak, and it's just pathetic. I'm sure "you'll" win next year.

There were both the Motocross Des Nations and the Trophy Des Nations for decades, and countries attended. I'm surprised that avaricious mongrel, Luongo, hasn't thought of re-introducing the seperate 250 and MXGP events. Not that I am advocating it.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
10/24/2017 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 8:21pm
Suzuki damn near ceasing race efforts in Europe, in more than one discipline. Suzuki basically down to JGR in the US. Big team folds one year post championsip. Local races are a shell of what they used to be. Many other companies tightening their belts (in what appears to have even affected Vital.) Then, one of, if not the, most tradition rich MX countries in the world appears to be struggling with funding to send a MXON team.

I would say, “Houston, we have a problem”. Seems ominous.
Hut
10/24/2017 8:45pm
ehr400 wrote:
Wait I thought they should pay for their own way because it is a honor to do the MXDN according to the Euro chest thumpers? I...
No doubt.
TDeath21
10/24/2017 9:31pm
kzizok wrote:
Suzuki damn near ceasing race efforts in Europe, in more than one discipline. Suzuki basically down to JGR in the US. Big team folds one year...
Suzuki damn near ceasing race efforts in Europe, in more than one discipline. Suzuki basically down to JGR in the US. Big team folds one year post championsip. Local races are a shell of what they used to be. Many other companies tightening their belts (in what appears to have even affected Vital.) Then, one of, if not the, most tradition rich MX countries in the world appears to be struggling with funding to send a MXON team.

I would say, “Houston, we have a problem”. Seems ominous.
People don't like to say it's the four stroke but that's exactly what it is.
Sideways
10/24/2017 11:47pm
DPR250R wrote:
This is different... this is a fly away race for them. Oh shit wait.. In all seriousness... shame they are not gonna make it. I love...
This is different... this is a fly away race for them. Oh shit wait..

In all seriousness... shame they are not gonna make it. I love the MXoN and always hope to see the best go at it from bith sides of the pond.
They will get it together and race. Its 1 year away. They are just putting some pressure on Youthstream
Fearo
10/25/2017 1:41am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 1:41am
The problem has been the same for the last 10+ years.

1) Youthstream wants GP motocross to be like F1.

2) Motocross will never be like F1.

Result: It's all burning to the ground, really slowly, and we are nearing the bottom floor.
fox1nz
10/25/2017 1:47am
And in the mean time. New Zealand, which is probably one of the smallest nations, has the most distance to travel, still manage to get a Team to these events. So Belgium, get ya shit together and make it happen.

Post a reply to: No team Belgium in 2018 at MXON

The Latest