Not Moto-Related.. Or is it?

RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2018 5:34pm
|
Plugga
2/9/2018 5:50pm
Not doubt the bed wetters will ban crashing in the near future.
MR. X
2/9/2018 6:12pm
Is that state trying to raise the biggest pussies in America?
Jrewing
2/10/2018 8:46am
HA you guys where enough protective crap anyway for your version of footy.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/10/2018 8:51am
MR. X wrote:
Short answer.... Yes

The Shop

philG
2/10/2018 10:14am
The thing here , is that Football (well its not football , but you know what i mean ) is a game where the idea is for people to run into each other, while a guy tries to throw a ball... Bike racing the idea is to get past the flag first , crashing is not a pre requisite of the sport , it happens.

NFL ranks right up there with boxing and MMA for 'save them from themselves' sports IMO. Obvs WWE doesnt count, cos that is erm.. well its showbusiness

With what we know about head injuries now , sticking a fork in the whole high school and college football thing isnt a bad thing.
dkg
2/10/2018 10:35am
Damn politicians. Sure wish they'd stop trying to micro-manage our lives. On the other hand if they are occupied with this stuff it keeps them from screwing up things actually important.
2/10/2018 12:39pm
Moto guys are awesome, even science isn't enough for ya.

The CTE epidemic in football players is beyond alarming-not fake news. If an adult wants to be a pro football player, and get their head knocked in over and over, causing CTE-their choice and the fans have spoken-they DO NOT WANT safer football, fair enough, but CTE has a better foothold in beginning in a developing brain (aka school age children) so if there is a way to curb this epidemic, we should.

I don't draw parallels to MX or bike as much because I feel our culture is changing rapidly in the way of choosing BETTER helmets with safety innovations but more importantly the "shake it off pussy, get back on the track" is going away slowly but surely and letting kids / adults recover from a head slap.

Katoomey
2/10/2018 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2018 12:46pm
MR. X wrote:
i look at kids differently. and this one activity, differently.

kids aren't wise enough to decide for themselves whether or not they want to risk brain damage.

plain and simple. why not let kids smoke and drink too?

this is not, imo, part of the pussification of America. this is rational. How rational? i don't know, but it does make sense, it's not just all "bubble boy" nonsense.
hillbilly
2/10/2018 12:44pm
Moto guys are awesome, even science isn't enough for ya. The CTE epidemic in football players is beyond alarming-not fake news. If an adult wants to...

The CTE epidemic in football players is beyond alarming-not fake news. If an adult wants to be a pro football player, and get their head knocked in over and over, causing CTE-their choice and the fans have spoken-they DO NOT WANT safer football, fair enough, but CTE has a better foothold in beginning in a developing brain (aka school age children) so if there is a way to curb this epidemic, we should.

I don't draw parallels to MX or bike as much because I feel our culture is changing rapidly in the way of choosing BETTER helmets with safety innovations but more importantly the "shake it off pussy, get back on the track" is going away slowly but surely and letting kids / adults recover from a head slap.

Watched a documentary on cte. They have several brains now about fifty I think.

One is a 18 yr old who died after a concussion. His brain was eat up with it.

They should build better helmets. They ain't changed much and could be much safer imo
OldYZRider1
2/10/2018 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2018 1:10pm
I heard a show on NPR a while back with an interview of a long time high school coach. He indicated that some smaller schools are having a difficult time getting enough kids wanting to play so they can even field a team. He also said it's quite a bit different during the games now when someone puts a good hit on someone, not near as much celebration and much quieter in the stands.

I gotta think NFL's gonna idle back from where its been. Are we gonna need the stadiums if it does?
Bigfoot
2/10/2018 3:13pm
Between football, motorcycles, bicycles and a fall on an icy crosswalk, I've had a number of concussions over the years and feel no long-term effects. Nope.

Oh, and I've had a number of concussions over the years and feel no long-term effects. Nope.

Oh, and I've had a number of concussions over the years and feel no long-term effects. Nope.

brocster
2/10/2018 3:32pm
So where does a kid learn to properly tackle before he gets to high school? Its crazy that some things are studied with posted results for people to over react and others aren’t...
2/10/2018 3:42pm
I first joined the football team in eighth grade. The first time I hit another guy helmet to helmet was enough for me. It was obvious that football was bad for my brain. Like to watch it though. After a few minor
concussions while racing or practicing, I quit Moto as well. I ride for the pure enjoyment now. No amount of fun or wins is worth losing my faculties.
2/10/2018 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2018 3:50pm
Usually I'm the first one to make fun of California for everything and anything, but I don't have a problem with this. I agree with Katoomey said too. It's rational.

Knowing what we know now about CTE, repeated hits to the head has got to be one of the dumbest things you can willingly do these days Dry Nothing tough about setting yourself up for brain damage before you're even old enough to drink.
2/10/2018 3:55pm
I've just bought my boy his 3rd BMX helmet in 4 years after bouncing his head twice off the tar berm and polymer hardened track twice in the last 6 months. He said his head was throbbing from both hits and was benched straight away by me even after examination saying he was clear. It's a worry for sure. The organisation requires a mandatory doctors release before you can race again before 12 months without a release. I've got no problem with that requirement.
Now this year he also wants to play rugby with his school friends in the weekend comp so along with boots and other gear for that he also has head gear that I'm adamant he plays in. Not the hard helmet gridiron type which aren't allowed or warranted in my opinion, but high density foam like below.
kijen
2/10/2018 3:55pm
philG wrote:
The thing here , is that Football (well its not football , but you know what i mean ) is a game where the idea is...
The thing here , is that Football (well its not football , but you know what i mean ) is a game where the idea is for people to run into each other, while a guy tries to throw a ball... Bike racing the idea is to get past the flag first , crashing is not a pre requisite of the sport , it happens.

NFL ranks right up there with boxing and MMA for 'save them from themselves' sports IMO. Obvs WWE doesnt count, cos that is erm.. well its showbusiness

With what we know about head injuries now , sticking a fork in the whole high school and college football thing isnt a bad thing.
Don't stop there, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and hockey are right up there, let's also do away with cigars, cigarettes, booze and cars, but hey don't mess with my recreational weed! Please please government save me from myself,

Humans, the most stupid species on the planet.
KMC440
2/10/2018 4:03pm
hillbilly wrote:
Watched a documentary on cte. They have several brains now about fifty I think. One is a 18 yr old who died after a concussion. His...

They should build better helmets. They ain't changed much and could be much safer imo
I remember bout 2010 when Aaron Rogers had his big concussion. They came out with a new helmet that had a 10% or so larger shell on it and offered it to all the players on the Packers. Every player declined, some saying "I ain't wearin that thing". So as far as I'm concerned they're paid to play and whatever comes along with it so be it. The extra protection is out there if they won't wear it because of pride screw'em.
Katoomey
2/10/2018 4:07pm
kijen wrote:
Don't stop there, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and hockey are right up there, let's also do away with cigars, cigarettes, booze and cars, but hey don't...
Don't stop there, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and hockey are right up there, let's also do away with cigars, cigarettes, booze and cars, but hey don't mess with my recreational weed! Please please government save me from myself,

Humans, the most stupid species on the planet.
thats pretty funny, but if you want to look at it cosmically, at the macro level, it's just nature. it seems like a pretty good instinct to want to improve the health of your own species, no?. in fact, humans are the only animal capable of conscientiously improving their overall survival rate, and therefor strength, of their own species. political correctness is not the motivation, it's just the mode.
2/10/2018 4:34pm
Moto guys are awesome, even science isn't enough for ya. The CTE epidemic in football players is beyond alarming-not fake news. If an adult wants to...

hillbilly wrote:
Watched a documentary on cte. They have several brains now about fifty I think. One is a 18 yr old who died after a concussion. His...

These football helmets are reinventing the industry: https://vicis.com/

Post a reply to: Not Moto-Related.. Or is it?

The Latest