Oakley Airbrake lense question....fit other Oakley's?

jeffro503
Hey guys....Most all my goggles are the Scott Hustle's , and then I have one pair of the Airbrakes , which I dig a lot. If I was to pick up a different set of Oakley's , like the Frontline , Crowbar or O2 goggles , are any of the lenses interchangeable? I may just stick with the Airbrake's , but don't know much about the Oakley line of goggles.
|
dmm698
2/1/2019 7:31am
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey guys....Most all my goggles are the Scott Hustle's , and then I have one pair of the Airbrakes , which I dig a lot. If...
Hey guys....Most all my goggles are the Scott Hustle's , and then I have one pair of the Airbrakes , which I dig a lot. If I was to pick up a different set of Oakley's , like the Frontline , Crowbar or O2 goggles , are any of the lenses interchangeable? I may just stick with the Airbrake's , but don't know much about the Oakley line of goggles.
Jeffro give the scott prospects a try, equally nice goggle at a lower price point. Allow ya to pick up 2-3 pairs and roll with one frame/lense/tear off setup. I love not having to carry 10 different spare lenses and 5 different packs of tear offs with me to the track.
chuckdavies
2/1/2019 7:44am
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey guys....Most all my goggles are the Scott Hustle's , and then I have one pair of the Airbrakes , which I dig a lot. If...
dmm698 wrote:
Jeffro give the scott prospects a try, equally nice goggle at a lower price point. Allow ya to pick up 2-3 pairs and roll with one...
Jeffro give the scott prospects a try, equally nice goggle at a lower price point. Allow ya to pick up 2-3 pairs and roll with one frame/lense/tear off setup. I love not having to carry 10 different spare lenses and 5 different packs of tear offs with me to the track.
"equally nice" is a bit of a bold statement. Prospects are cool but are renowned for being one of the most awkward lenses to fit, and are still a 'stamped' out lens as opposed to the pre-formed 2mm thick Airbrake one (which you can fit 1 handed in about 3 seconds).

Jeffro, i'd recommend just buying a 2nd pair of Airbrakes. New roll off system is by far the best i've used on any goggle too!
jeffro503
2/1/2019 7:46am
jeffro503 wrote:
dmm698 wrote:
Jeffro give the scott prospects a try, equally nice goggle at a lower price point. Allow ya to pick up 2-3 pairs and roll with one...
I haven't tried the prospect's yet. They have a little wider field of view kind of like the Airbrakes? And what about ease of changing the lens out? I know changing the damn lens in my Hustle's are a PIA!

The Shop

jeffro503
2/1/2019 7:47am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 7:48am
jeffro503 wrote:
dmm698 wrote:
"equally nice" is a bit of a bold statement. Prospects are cool but are renowned for being one of the most awkward lenses to fit, and...
"equally nice" is a bit of a bold statement. Prospects are cool but are renowned for being one of the most awkward lenses to fit, and are still a 'stamped' out lens as opposed to the pre-formed 2mm thick Airbrake one (which you can fit 1 handed in about 3 seconds).

Jeffro, i'd recommend just buying a 2nd pair of Airbrakes. New roll off system is by far the best i've used on any goggle too!
Chuck....are all Airbrakes capable of switching out the strap as well? Seems my straps always wear out before the foam does.
aaron63
2/1/2019 7:55am
jeffro503 wrote:
Chuck....are all Airbrakes capable of switching out the strap as well? Seems my straps always wear out before the foam does.
Yes you can change out the strap, can only get black and white ones though i think. You can also switch out the foam when it is worn.
The prospect goggles are good, I own both and switch between airbrakes and the prospect. But will always choose the airbrakes if they are clean, in fact just got ordered another set of them.

jeffro503
2/1/2019 7:57am
jeffro503 wrote:
aaron63 wrote:
Yes you can change out the strap, can only get black and white ones though i think. You can also switch out the foam when it...
Yes you can change out the strap, can only get black and white ones though i think. You can also switch out the foam when it is worn.
The prospect goggles are good, I own both and switch between airbrakes and the prospect. But will always choose the airbrakes if they are clean, in fact just got ordered another set of them.

You can change the foam too??
aaron63
2/1/2019 8:37am
jeffro503 wrote:
aaron63 wrote:
Yes you can change out the strap, can only get black and white ones though i think. You can also switch out the foam when it...

jeffro503 wrote:
You can change the foam too??
Yep

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/goggles/goggle_accessories/goggle_lens…

Thats the down side to the scotts they can not be changed.
Rocket88
2/1/2019 8:52am
Wait until you try the Prism lense. I won't use anything else.
Spooner
2/1/2019 10:43am
Try 100% and get their ‘plus’ lenses. It’s an injection molded lens like the airbrake but it fits all the adult models of 100% goggles. They are the same tech as the prizm lenses too. You can buy the racecraft plus model that comes with the lens and 4 layer foam or just buy an accuri or normal racecraft and add the lens. They even work in their cheaper strata line.
Supermega1
2/1/2019 10:48am
straps, foam, and the outriggers can be changed on the Airbrakes.

They also offer a "lens protector" that can be used instead of tear offs. I run one as I only trail ride so a "lens protector" last about a year before it needs to be replaced. If I am paying $25-$75 on a lens I am doing something to make it last as long as possible.

Here's the rub. The replacement parts are becoming harder and harder to find online. Oakley doesn't have them on their site and when I called to ask last year customer service did not have the lens protectors in the system and didn't know when or if they would be getting them back in. The same was true for other replacement parts.

My guess is they stopped making replacement parts so that you'd just buy new goggles. I'd be more than happy for someone to prove me wrong and find the replacement parts on Oakley's website Smile

Also, the $75 Prism lens is actually worth it. I am dumbfounded on how much better it makes riding in the desert and bumping up the contrast.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
2/1/2019 10:53am
"equally nice" is a bit of a bold statement. Prospects are cool but are renowned for being one of the most awkward lenses to fit, and...

Scott now offers a new light sensitive lens that is supposed to be a little bit better...

"The Light Sensitive lens may sound like a simple lens option, but it is far greater than that. In addition to offering light-sensitivity that grows darker in bright conditions, the new lens features extruded thermoformed Lexan construction and is far superior to the flat, stamped 1 mm Lexan lens in the standard Prospect. Although it retains 1 mm thickness like the standard lens, the Light Sensitive lens is harder, pre-curved, and optically correct."

https://motocross.transworld.net/news/product-report-scott-prospect-gog…
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
2/1/2019 11:43am
My local shop says he can get all the replacement parts for the airbrakes.
I too really like the prism lens and can change to clear for night really fast and easy.

The thing I've liked the most is the lens protector. I think it's like $20 for a pack of 2? I have had my lens scratch / ding free for over a year. I run standard tear offs then clean with micro cloth (do not use any cleaners). I haven't tried the roll off system yet but may per the response above. One thing I had a problem with is the laminated tear offs over the lens protector. I don't think they are compatible because how tight the laminated fit and the extra thinness of the protector. Maybe they would be ok if I used a hole punch to spread out the holes, not sure.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
2/2/2019 2:42am
x3 on the Prizms. I wanted to try the Scott Prospects but I’m pretty sold on the Oakley lens right now
dmm698
2/2/2019 5:05am

SPYGUY wrote:
Scott now offers a new light sensitive lens that is supposed to be a little bit better... "The Light Sensitive lens may sound like a simple...
Scott now offers a new light sensitive lens that is supposed to be a little bit better...

"The Light Sensitive lens may sound like a simple lens option, but it is far greater than that. In addition to offering light-sensitivity that grows darker in bright conditions, the new lens features extruded thermoformed Lexan construction and is far superior to the flat, stamped 1 mm Lexan lens in the standard Prospect. Although it retains 1 mm thickness like the standard lens, the Light Sensitive lens is harder, pre-curved, and optically correct."

I have 2 of the light sensitive lenses.

In total I have 6 pairs of prospects. 3 of them are winter goggles and I wear them snowmobiling. 3 pairs are the moto version I wear in the summer. I haven’t tried the light sensitive summer lense though, only have the winter version. It is amazing for snowmobiling, I think it may scratch super easy though riding moto with one. I haven’t tried because the light sensitive lenses I have are thermal lenses like I mentioned.

Jeffro- the lenses are pretty easy to install. Nothing like the hustles. The 4 outright posts are basically latches for the lense. No trying to get 17 button style snaps to line up in the frame.
2/2/2019 5:38am

SPYGUY wrote:
Scott now offers a new light sensitive lens that is supposed to be a little bit better... "The Light Sensitive lens may sound like a simple...

dmm698 wrote:
I have 2 of the light sensitive lenses. In total I have 6 pairs of prospects. 3 of them are winter goggles and I wear them...
I have 2 of the light sensitive lenses.

In total I have 6 pairs of prospects. 3 of them are winter goggles and I wear them snowmobiling. 3 pairs are the moto version I wear in the summer. I haven’t tried the light sensitive summer lense though, only have the winter version. It is amazing for snowmobiling, I think it may scratch super easy though riding moto with one. I haven’t tried because the light sensitive lenses I have are thermal lenses like I mentioned.

Jeffro- the lenses are pretty easy to install. Nothing like the hustles. The 4 outright posts are basically latches for the lense. No trying to get 17 button style snaps to line up in the frame.
In theory it's a good lens changing system but in reality those 4 buttons require way too much force to open and close. Especially because the frame of the prospect isn't that rigid when you compare it to a airbrake so it flexes quite a bit when you put pressure on it.
swtwtwtw
2/2/2019 6:17am
There is a shop in California that sell Airbrakes with prism lenses for 99 bucks. Frontlines too. I own and wear 100%, Scott Prospects, and the Airbrakes. Airbrakes are by far the best in all conditions.
crowe176
2/2/2019 7:50am
MXlockers has Airbrake Prizm's for $90.
jeffro503
2/2/2019 8:15am
crowe176 wrote:
Is that a pretty good shop? I have never heard of them before , but I really dig those prices.
jeffro503
2/2/2019 12:06pm
Guys ..do the frontlines use the same lens as the airbrakes?
crowe176
2/2/2019 12:39pm
crowe176 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Is that a pretty good shop? I have never heard of them before , but I really dig those prices.
I've ordered a couple things from them, even a used set of gear for like $20. Fast shipping, no issues ever.
jeffro503
2/2/2019 12:52pm
crowe176 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
crowe176 wrote:
I've ordered a couple things from them, even a used set of gear for like $20. Fast shipping, no issues ever.
Thanks Crowe for the heads up on Mxlockers! Price was too good to pass up and I just ordered two sets of the Airbrakes.
crowe176
2/2/2019 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 1:41pm
jeffro503 wrote:
crowe176 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks Crowe for the heads up on Mxlockers! Price was too good to pass up and I just ordered two sets of the Airbrakes.
Sweet! Follow them on instagram. They have random products they add, and they're usually awesome deals. Stuff like used boots, helmets, gear etc, that maybe have a ride or two on them. Basically it's kind of like a pro sponsored rider's hand me downs if you're looking to save cash. Like I said, I bought a used set of O'neal pants and jersey for muddy days..
Doddy
2/2/2019 3:18pm
My thoughts on the Airbrake after having owned all the top goggles. No bias. They are the best.
-You can get Airbrakes for around $100 all day long online, just not the design you want most likely.
-No other lens will fit the Airbrake. There are no "clones" or "knockoff" lenses for the Airbrake either.
-You can get foam, foam for sand, dual lens, and Prizm lenses.
-Replacement straps, frames, and outriggers can be replaced, but color choices are limited.
-The mirror/colored lenses will scratch very easily, so get the lens protector. I am not sure how this effects the amount
of tear offs stacked.
-Best visibility of any goggle. The Prizm lenses are real nice. Expensive, but worth it. Again, get lens protectors.
-The quick lens system is really solid.
-The entire goggle is fairly stiff. It is very hard to twist and bend.
-I have had no issues with the roll offs once installed correctly. Once installed correctly(be careful with the film install), I am actually impressed. I have not broken it yet. They do sell different length/size film canisters(at least I ended up with 2 different ones).
Tip: Make sure you take a small file/nail file to the little molding bump where the roll off slides on the new mud cover if needed. Put the goggle on the helmet when you test it to see if it rubs. If you don't you could file off the wrong spots/amount and completely ruin the dust cover and possibly the damage the lens.

jeffro503
2/2/2019 4:08pm
Doddy wrote:
My thoughts on the Airbrake after having owned all the top goggles. No bias. They are the best. -You can get Airbrakes for around $100 all...
My thoughts on the Airbrake after having owned all the top goggles. No bias. They are the best.
-You can get Airbrakes for around $100 all day long online, just not the design you want most likely.
-No other lens will fit the Airbrake. There are no "clones" or "knockoff" lenses for the Airbrake either.
-Replacement straps, frames, and outriggers can be replaced, but color choices are limited.
-The mirror/colored lenses will scratch very easily, so get the lens protector. I am not sure how this effects the amount
of tear offs stacked.
-Best visibility of any goggle. The Prizm lenses are real nice. Expensive, but worth it. Again, get lens protectors.
-I have had no issues with the roll offs once installed correctly. Once installed correctly(be careful with the film install), I am actually impressed. I have not broken it yet. They do sell different length/size film canisters(at least I ended up with 2 different ones).
Tip: Make sure you take a small file/nail file to the little molding bump where the roll off slides on the new mud cover if needed. Put the goggle on the helmet when you test it to see if it rubs. If you don't you could file off the wrong spots/amount and completely ruin the dust cover and possibly the damage the lens.

Wow!! Lots of info there Doddy , thank you!! I got the airbrake set I have now from a buddy ( brand new ) but it was at the end of the season and I only had one ride day with them. Until today , I had no idea what these goggles we're capable of. I just knew they were spendy , and now I'm understanding why.
jeffro503
2/2/2019 6:54pm
Christ!! I just picked up a forth set at Hillsboro Motosports haha.
Doddy
2/2/2019 8:34pm
Doddy wrote:
My thoughts on the Airbrake after having owned all the top goggles. No bias. They are the best. -You can get Airbrakes for around $100 all...
of tear offs stacked.

jeffro503 wrote:
Wow!! Lots of info there Doddy , thank you!! I got the airbrake set I have now from a buddy ( brand new ) but it...
Wow!! Lots of info there Doddy , thank you!! I got the airbrake set I have now from a buddy ( brand new ) but it was at the end of the season and I only had one ride day with them. Until today , I had no idea what these goggles we're capable of. I just knew they were spendy , and now I'm understanding why.
Glad my expensive venture could help. I also recommend the Sapphire Iridium lens since you are in the NW, but you may like a different one. Having them all is not a bad idea. It does get expensive, but I see it as an investment. Enjoy!
jeffro503
2/2/2019 10:18pm
Doddy wrote:
of tear offs stacked.

jeffro503 wrote:
Wow!! Lots of info there Doddy , thank you!! I got the airbrake set I have now from a buddy ( brand new ) but it...
Doddy wrote:
Glad my expensive venture could help. I also recommend the Sapphire Iridium lens since you are in the NW, but you may like a different one...
Glad my expensive venture could help. I also recommend the Sapphire Iridium lens since you are in the NW, but you may like a different one. Having them all is not a bad idea. It does get expensive, but I see it as an investment. Enjoy!
Yeah Doddy , for sure all your info helped. Talking to my main guy at Motosports , he gave me a deal on another set I definitely couldn't pass up. If I would have known I could get them this cheap I would have made the switch a couple years ago.and all the info and what other's gave me today....I made the leap.

Post a reply to: Oakley Airbrake lense question....fit other Oakley's?

The Latest