"Official" 2018 Loretta Lynn's thread

MBR
7/2/2018 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2018 9:21am
I work for Finnish OffroadPro magazine and I'm writing an article on Loretta Lynn's for the magazine. I have been living in SoCal since last autumn and thought it would give nice back story to the article if I would race one of the qualifiers. So earlier this year I went for Southwestern area qualifier in Pala and much of my surprise I won the 40+ class there (only three riders there). I started training more and five weeks later I won the regional also and now I actually pretty much have to do it and I already cancelled my flights back to Finland.

Anyways, I have plenty of questions about the race as this is my first (and probably last) Loretta Lynn's ever, so hopefully some of you can give some advice and this thread would serve as nice "what to do and what not to do when going to Loretta's" to anyone planning to go there now or in the future (and yes I have read through everything on MXsports.com).

So here we go:
- I'm hoping to get someone to take the bike from SoCal to Tennessee and back. Is anyone going and interested to take my bike with them and how much it would cost (if you don't want to share it here, pm me)? If I got the bike transportation sorted out, I'm planning to fly in to Nashville on Sunday 29th and back 5th.
- where should I stay? I'm thinking either a hotel somewhere within hour of the track or maybe renting a RV and staying at the track? What would be better idea? If I'm going the RV way where should I ask?
- which way is the track going to be? Is it similar to last year?
- how is the practice day? How long are the sessions?
- is there a power washers to use or do you you have to have your own or lend from someone?
- how long are the moto's 20 min, 20 min + 1 lap or 20 min + 2 laps?
- roll off's or tear offs? Is fogging a big problem due the humidy?
- how is the soil and what tires are recommended?
- how is food at Loretta's, should you be prepared to make your own meals or is there breakfast, lunch, dinner available for purchase?
- what is burnout area?
- how is the award ceremony / closing party? Should you stay until Sunday or should you leave as soon as you last moto is done?
- what is there to see in your off days?
- what is the best part of Loretta's?
- what is the worst part of Loretta's?
- what was your biggest surprise when racing Loretta's?
- what is the biggest or most common mistake to do when racing Loretta's?
- who else from the forum is going this year?

|
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
7/2/2018 10:39pm
Congratulations and good luck! I've raced there a handful of times and been there another handful working.

- where should I stay? I'm thinking either a hotel somewhere within hour of the track or maybe renting a RV and staying at the track? What would be better idea? If I'm going the RV way where should I ask?

Staying at the track is a good experience. It's a HUGE campground full of moto people. They have evening entertainment and you'll meet some cool people. If you are staying at a hotel, there are a few right off the exit at Hurricane Mills about 10 minutes from the track, but they are likely already booked. If staying at a hotel, I'd consider staying in Dickson, TN - it's about a 40 minute drive straight down the freeway partway between Nashville and the track. There are plenty of restaraunts, a Wal Mart, and anything else you should need throughout the week there. It's a nice break from the track and back to civilization. The track is pretty remote.

- which way is the track going to be? Is it similar to last year?
It's been very similar the past few years.

- how is the practice day? How long are the sessions?
15 or 20 minute sessions I believe. It runs efficiently and a lot of guys working out the kinks but it's basically a moto for most. You can run your transponder and check how your times are stacking up.

- is there a power washers to use or do you you have to have your own or lend from someone?
They have washbay stations you have to use. I'm fairly sure the pressure washers are setup there already.

- how long are the moto's 20 min, 20 min + 1 lap or 20 min + 2 laps?
Long, hot, and rough typically. They use a 2 card, but nearly positive it's 20 minutes.

- how is the soil and what tires are recommended?
Very soft. A ton of sawdust and mulch and sand added to the top. Like a sponge. Likely like nothing you've ever ridden. It's really tricky because of so many different bikes/classes throughout the week and so many motos it makes bumps basically everywhere along with the unique soil mixture. If it rains, it'll be really spongy. If it is a dry week, it'll get down to the hard base in spots and if in between there are some harder wet-slick areas. What time your moto is makes a big difference too. Early morning or right after intermission motos are super deep and the track will almost be muddy. You barely touch the brakes it's so deep it slows you down as soon as you let off the gas and you can just lay it over and turn. Later afternoon motos can have way more hard base showing and get some pretty big holes. An intermediate tire is common, though I've heard of some guys going wiht a paddle just for the start.

- how is food at Loretta's, should you be prepared to make your own meals or is there breakfast, lunch, dinner available for purchase?
There are quite a few food vendors there, but as far as healthy race day options you'll probably want to consider making your own meals.

- what is burnout area?
A small oval track that can be used to practice a couple starts or a small bike change. It's 2nd gear max on a big bike.

- how is the award ceremony / closing party? Should you stay until Sunday or should you leave as soon as you last moto is done?
Unless you're top 10, most people pull out after their last moto.

- what is there to see in your off days?
Nashville is about an hour away and a huge music destination. Otherwise, incredible racing goes on from morning till evening and the creek is a great place to cool off and relax on your summer vacation.

- what is the best part of Loretta's?
It's a big moto family gathering and you'll meet some awesome people. It's a big event and everyone in the industry from top pro riders to team managers to companies will likely be there at some point through the week.

- what is the worst part of Loretta's?
It's hot and humid and will likely be a mudder at least for one moto. The competition is fast and track is tricky if you've never been. It also is what separates guys and what makes it great as well.

- what was your biggest surprise when racing Loretta's?
Finding a flow on the track because so many motos and so many different bike sizes make the lines very unique.

- what is the biggest or most common mistake to do when racing Loretta's?
In the Vet classes, so many guys ruin their week in the first turn of their first moto. Always big pileups - not to scare you away, but for some reason it always happens.

- who else from the forum is going this year?
I'll be there working with Race Tech. I love the event and spending the week with so many other passionate moto people.

Best of luck, and if you need anything throughout the week stop by and introduce yourself. I'll have a cool water, some shade and a fan to sit in front of.
Renner153
Fantasy
3544th
7/3/2018 9:03am
I am high up on the alternate list, so a high possibility i will be going. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Ive been quite a few years
JonM37
7/3/2018 9:21am
Reisenberg448 said it perfectly. My son made it last year for his first time and made it again this year. See you at the ranch!

Post a reply to: "Official" 2018 Loretta Lynn's thread

The Latest