Official Word on Stewart?

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/10/2016 8:04pm
I am a huge Bubba fan, but think it is his time to step away.. Overweight and bad head injury. Don't want to see something really...
I am a huge Bubba fan, but think it is his time to step away.. Overweight and bad head injury. Don't want to see something really bad happen to him.
Sorry if i may have missed something, but how much heavier is Bubba?
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/10/2016 9:00pm
The guy has been away from racing for over a year and comes back to finish 3rd in timed qualifying. I think he can still ride a dirt bike pretty well and the crash was a racing incident and nothing more. He will be back challenging for wins.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
1/10/2016 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 4:48pm
Stewart's thing didn't look that bad. Dungey knocked him over but he and Chad have collided harder than that and he jumped up and finished the race.
DownSouth
1/10/2016 9:08pm
burn1986 wrote:
Stewart's thing didn't look that bad. Dungey knocked him over but he and Chad have collided harder than that and he jumped up and finished the...
Stewart's thing didn't look that bad. Dungey knocked him over but he and Chad have collided harder than that and he jumped up and finished the race.
Concussions do tend to go hand in hand with being knocked unconscious.

The Shop

burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
1/10/2016 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 4:48pm
I guess it was a lot worse than it looked.
Kampy
1/10/2016 9:13pm
burn1986 wrote:
Stewart's thing didn't look that bad. Dungey knocked him over but he and Chad have collided harder than that and he jumped up and finished the...
It was the whiplash effect of his helmet right as it slammed into the dirt. He was out cold instantly, stayed out for several minutes, and they needed smelling salts to wake him up... Looked like a serious concussion to me...
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
1/10/2016 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2016 9:19pm
I guess you're right. I rewatched it and he fell over pretty good. That was pretty sloppy on Dungeys part.

Why was he plowing through on the inside like that? I guess he thought "oh well, I'll just go in hard. I'll hit something and bounce back the other way. Either way, I'm not lettin off."
h&m_cycle
1/10/2016 9:21pm
burn1986 wrote:
check out the slow mo on the racer x link from both sides... it looks like he banged the side of his head on the
ground with that high side...

philG
1/11/2016 12:23am
DonM wrote:
As with anything Stewart....you won't hear a thing.
He should hire RV's guys, we might hear before outdoors starts.
RG1
1/11/2016 12:59am
What's the procedure over there regarding concussions? In the UK if you have a concussion you can't race the next weekend, regardless of how you're feeling
pecu_83
1/11/2016 1:12am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 1:14am
Concussions tend to build up. To more concussions you´ve had the easier it is to get a new one and the effects grow stronger and last longer each time. Sad

I think stewarts concussion toll is about maxed out. I do not want to see him end up like Michael Schumacher (F1 driver whos in coma because hit his head while skiing).

Broc Hepler knows about concussions, his past Where are they now? interview was a good one.

I am a Bubba fan (and fan of almost every rider out there) I would like to see him do good, but I dont want to see him injuring himself time and again and maybe getting brain damage. His crash really wasn`t that hard and it knocked him out cold, I dont think he can take much more hits to the head.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
1/11/2016 1:32am
Every time he races its ends the same way. I think he should call it a career before he really gets hurt. He has nothing left to prove or be ashamed of. He is one of the greatest talents ever but it will come to and end one way or another and I would rather see him quit on his own terms.
Tim271
Fantasy
4471st
1/11/2016 1:51am
RG1 wrote:
What's the procedure over there regarding concussions? In the UK if you have a concussion you can't race the next weekend, regardless of how you're feeling
Due to changes in the concussion management protocol, Stewart will need to retake the Concussion imPACT Test and meet his previously established baseline before being allowed to return to racing.
Read more at http://motocross.transworld.net/news/2016-anaheim-one-sx-james-stewart-…
40Plus_922mx
1/11/2016 2:02am
ENOUGH WITH THE STEP AWAY TALK. Sheesh!!!
We will get no details on his condition. Just whether he is in or out for next week. If we hear anything it will be from Ralph.
Crush
1/11/2016 2:10am
Tim271 wrote:
Due to changes in the concussion management protocol, Stewart will need to retake the Concussion imPACT Test and meet his previously established baseline before being allowed...
Due to changes in the concussion management protocol, Stewart will need to retake the Concussion imPACT Test and meet his previously established baseline before being allowed to return to racing.
Read more at http://motocross.transworld.net/news/2016-anaheim-one-sx-james-stewart-…
The wording of that statement is a bit weird seeing that protocol is now in its fourth season!
Muezh
1/11/2016 3:09am
burn1986 wrote:
its the way he landed on the side of his head to the ground. No roll. nothing. I've done that before. Not good.
Muezh
1/11/2016 3:10am
Tim271 wrote:
Due to changes in the concussion management protocol, Stewart will need to retake the Concussion imPACT Test and meet his previously established baseline before being allowed...
Time for a 6D???
Fraser
1/11/2016 3:17am
RG1 wrote:
Tim271 wrote:
If he was racing in the UK he would have to miss San Diego, the ACU here have quite strict rules on concussions now.

"The recovery time for anyone diagnosed with concussion was recently discussed at the ACU Medical Panel and are as follows:

Over 20 years of age: Excluded immediately for the following 48 hours, with a further 7 days (as a minimum) suspension from competition (nine days in total).

16-19 years of age: 12 days

15 and under of age: 23 days

In all cases, evidence is required that the individual is fit to participate in competition which means they will be required to produce a doctors’ letter/statement. This should then be forwarded to ACU Head Office (email: licence@acu.org.uk) for further action and a copy kept for the riders own records."
bob567
1/11/2016 3:42am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 3:43am
"Questionable for San Diego"? - He was unconscious for 2-3 minutes. I think Suzuki should focus on having both Bagget and Stewart return at Oakland at this point.
davistld01
1/11/2016 4:37am
I am a huge Bubba fan, but think it is his time to step away.. Overweight and bad head injury. Don't want to see something really...
I am a huge Bubba fan, but think it is his time to step away.. Overweight and bad head injury. Don't want to see something really bad happen to him.
imoto34 wrote:
Sorry if i may have missed something, but how much heavier is Bubba?
James bulked up a little more than normal, that's all. The "overweight" JS7 was still faster than 90% of the other riders Saturday night who were as slender as Chris_Cooksey likes to see them.
1/11/2016 5:37am
pecu_83 wrote:
Concussions tend to build up. To more concussions you´ve had the easier it is to get a new one and the effects grow stronger and last...
Concussions tend to build up. To more concussions you´ve had the easier it is to get a new one and the effects grow stronger and last longer each time. Sad

I think stewarts concussion toll is about maxed out. I do not want to see him end up like Michael Schumacher (F1 driver whos in coma because hit his head while skiing).

Broc Hepler knows about concussions, his past Where are they now? interview was a good one.

I am a Bubba fan (and fan of almost every rider out there) I would like to see him do good, but I dont want to see him injuring himself time and again and maybe getting brain damage. His crash really wasn`t that hard and it knocked him out cold, I dont think he can take much more hits to the head.
There was an interview he did a few years back, in his JGR days I believe that said he's only had 2 concussions up to that point. If we want to talk about maxed out concussions, TP takes the cake.
DownSouth
1/11/2016 8:39am
There was an interview he did a few years back, in his JGR days I believe that said he's only had 2 concussions up to that...
There was an interview he did a few years back, in his JGR days I believe that said he's only had 2 concussions up to that point. If we want to talk about maxed out concussions, TP takes the cake.
In the 2009 (pre JGR) ESPN E60 feature on Stewart the number reported was 7 concussions. Go to the 7:15 mark in the video. I doubt ESPN made up the number someone likely gave it to them during the interview process.

https://youtu.be/dkoF1d9AGk0
tprice07
1/11/2016 8:49am
There was an interview he did a few years back, in his JGR days I believe that said he's only had 2 concussions up to that...
DownSouth wrote:
In the 2009 (pre JGR) ESPN E60 feature on Stewart the number reported was 7 concussions. Go to the 7:15 mark in the video. I doubt...
In the 2009 (pre JGR) ESPN E60 feature on Stewart the number reported was 7 concussions. Go to the 7:15 mark in the video. I doubt ESPN made up the number someone likely gave it to them during the interview process.

https://youtu.be/dkoF1d9AGk0
Man that Vegas crash was scary. I can't believe he kept racing, he hit that hard packed dirt so damn hard.
RedRum666
1/11/2016 9:17am
davistld01 wrote:
James bulked up a little more than normal, that's all. The "overweight" JS7 was still faster than 90% of the other riders Saturday night who were...
James bulked up a little more than normal, that's all. The "overweight" JS7 was still faster than 90% of the other riders Saturday night who were as slender as Chris_Cooksey likes to see them.
Indeed.... I dont think the dude looked much "over weight " at all....he looks " older " for sure...

That was shaping up to be a great race before that accident....bummed for stewart....no luck at all....if he fell a foot later he would have hit tuff blocks and been back on the bike....instead, his head went straight into the rut and wham....that is that... Stew took that same line (square off the turn) the lap before, so not sure what Dungey was thinking other than maybe he screwed up and just couldnt stop in time....hope stew is back for SD
mb60
1/11/2016 9:37am
This coming from a huge JS7 fan and the move by Dungey was no way intentional. But it might be time for JS7 to really look into this being his last year. Even when he was behind Anderson and Barcia he could have passed both of them in the one turn. Riding cautious and hoping for top 5 is what you get riding like that. I hope that he comes back stronger then ever but he needs to take the time to get right and 100% in shape.
davistld01
1/11/2016 9:42am
mb60 wrote:
This coming from a huge JS7 fan and the move by Dungey was no way intentional. But it might be time for JS7 to really look...
This coming from a huge JS7 fan and the move by Dungey was no way intentional. But it might be time for JS7 to really look into this being his last year. Even when he was behind Anderson and Barcia he could have passed both of them in the one turn. Riding cautious and hoping for top 5 is what you get riding like that. I hope that he comes back stronger then ever but he needs to take the time to get right and 100% in shape.
I didn't see James riding cautiously, or "hoping for a top 5"...I saw him very focused, but not taking any chances that might put him on the dirt. There's no doubt in my mind that, if the incident with Dungey hadn't occurred that Stewart would have been pushing for the lead before the end of the next straight. But...stuff happens, and it did. I hope he comes back for SD, but ONLY if he's 100%. No shame in sitting a race out because of the after effects of getting your bell rung...and it's a whole lot safer for other riders on the track as well.
RedRum666
1/11/2016 9:46am
mb60 wrote:
This coming from a huge JS7 fan and the move by Dungey was no way intentional. But it might be time for JS7 to really look...
I am a fan as well...but riding cautious for a top 5?.... Heck, it was only the 3rd lap and he was battling back and forth with Anderson for 2nd, Jason looked to be the squirrelliest guy on the track to me.... James almost passed both Barcia and Anderson on the inside before the bridge....so I dont think he was being cautious...What you saw there was a " smart " JS7.... taking it easy...letting the race settle.....he was going to the inside to attempt another pass on Anderson before the collision...
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/11/2016 9:47am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2016 9:48am
mb60 wrote:
Right in front of me I saw Stewart wheelie whoops (at frightening speed), clip a few tuff blocks then scrub a triple. My jaw was open going "ooooooOOOOO!"

I think you must have misted a few things like that!

Post a reply to: Official Word on Stewart?

The Latest