Ohhhhhhh! THAT'S where that part went!

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
9/16/2020 10:10pm
Once went to load up my CR125 to go to a race and noticed the oil filler cap was gone! But I was in a hurry...
Once went to load up my CR125 to go to a race and noticed the oil filler cap was gone! But I was in a hurry to get to the race and loaded it up and took off in my truck, wondering the whole way how I was going to fix this.
I get to he track and I'm sitting there staring at the bike trying to figure how to fabricate an oil fill cap and I notice I had left it sitting in the footpeg. It had survived the whole load-up and trip to the track, sitting there in the peg. I put it back in and went and raced.
Funny how tiny things can turn into big problems on race day.
Lol if I had a dollar for every time I put the filler cap in the foot peg and then forgot I put it there, I’d be a rich man 😂
9/16/2020 10:27pm
I remember as a young fella (11yrs) coming home from a ride out the bush and my axle nut missing, we were all set to go to the local mx track the next day for my first time. The local shop didnt have any, so dad said riding was done for the weekend.

I hopped on my pushbike and followed all the trails i rode that day about 15km (10mile) , eventually finding a nut, it didnt appear to be off my bike and remember thinking about throwing it, but decided to keep it. Roll into home and show dad and he said "thats it". Got to ride the mx track the next day.
66TR66
9/16/2020 11:37pm
Reminds me of the time when i went to the library to read about the G Spot, but i couldn't find a book.
Thelen20
9/22/2020 10:44am
I had to find my circlip twice this morning before I got it in there! I'm feeling super lucky today! Haha

I have lost one into the bottom end before and fished it out with a magnet. That was scary! I put rags under the piston now when doing circlip work.

The Shop

PD441
9/22/2020 10:50am
Oddly enough, this thread makes me miss working on dirt bikes.
Bret
9/22/2020 10:56am

#1. Changing valve guide seals on a Honda Accord by pressurizing the cylinder. Lost one keeper. I swear to this day if fell down into the oil galley. I fished with a magnet. Removed the oil pan. Turned the engine over with a long handle breaker bar. Looked all over the floor and the surrounding area. Never found the keeper. Put a new one in and the car made it to 200,000 miles before I got rid of it.

#2. Replaced the crankshaft in a Honda Trail 70 as a teenager. Put it all together and had a leftover spacer. Referred to the manual, took the engine back apart, couldn't figure out where the heck it was supposed to go. Looked at witness marks and put it where I thought it might go. Bike ran and shifted just fine for years and years.

garagedog
Fantasy
687th
9/22/2020 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2020 12:10pm
Some of us old guys have a very developed keen sense of audio location hearing. When that darn snap rings goes flying Mach 10 across the garage, our brains go into superhero, bionic hearing mode and can tell where it approximately landed based on the rebound sound (garage door, card side panel or cabinet).

I do have a little place where I usually put old snap rings "just in case".

OP... great post. Made my lunch hour!
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
9/22/2020 12:53pm
PD441 wrote:
Oddly enough, this thread makes me miss working on dirt bikes.
Hey Paul nice to see you on the board.
TunaBro
9/22/2020 12:55pm
Shocker but I lost one of my deep 10mm sockets and 8mm, while working in the garage one day. I couldn’t find them for the life of me and gave up. The next morning I sat in my car to head to work and felt something in my back pocket. I just laughed as I instantly knew it was them.

CPR
9/22/2020 4:49pm
FWYT wrote:
Pulling a can of lube from a high shelf today in Pop's garage and this fell down on my head. (Green circle shows its resting spot...
Pulling a can of lube from a high shelf today in Pop's garage and this fell down on my head. (Green circle shows its resting spot at least 10 years prior.)

I used to hate doing top ends only because the circlips were a nightmare for me. I got in the habit of getting several extra because they would go flying about. Many times I had to make a mad dash to the shop before it closed to get more or else miss riding the next day. It was many years before I learned the easy, proper way to install them.

I have no idea if this POS clip caused me a mild or major panic attack but I cursed at it all the same.

I wonder how many shops are holding those carb needle clips that went flying off. Or a masterlink clip. Or that one unique nut or bolt that slowly rolled into the dark corner as the guy wrenching watched thinking "I know where it went." while he had his hands full, only to never find that muther effing $1.50 bolt that ruined his weekend.

Share your tales of cursed lost parts. Even better if you found them years later.

Looking at the state of that clip, it’s probably a good thing it was lost.
bvm111
9/22/2020 9:05pm
I don’t know how many times I couldn’t find a socket, or extension, or insert tool name here while sitting on the ground and When I was younger I would get pissed when I realized my fat ass was hiding it! Now I stand up and get pissed it isn’t there, look under the bike stand, look under the roll away, look on the work bench, look under the car... WTF where the hell is that damn thing 🤬 Then I realize I’m holding it so it doesn’t get lost under my ass... getting old sucks! 😂
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
9/22/2020 10:38pm
11pm the night before a race and my dad drops a circlip in the bottom end of my 97 KX 250. We tried to fish it out with a magnet but no luck. He slowly rolled the crank over and it came up stuck to the crank. He looked at me said " you lucky motherf*cker!" Aways use protection kids - put a paper towel over the bottom end while put the clips in.
Tonynz
9/22/2020 10:56pm
Lost my Motion Pro 8mm T about 6 months ago, very important when you own KTM’s.
Bought a new one.
On Sunday, my Matrix tool box fell out of van on to the ground, did some damage when I was cleaning and fixing it yesterday, found the 8mm T, it had fallen down the back and was jammed side ways behind all the draws.
just James
9/23/2020 3:55am
FWYT wrote:
Pulling a can of lube from a high shelf today in Pop's garage and this fell down on my head. (Green circle shows its resting spot...
Pulling a can of lube from a high shelf today in Pop's garage and this fell down on my head. (Green circle shows its resting spot at least 10 years prior.)

I used to hate doing top ends only because the circlips were a nightmare for me. I got in the habit of getting several extra because they would go flying about. Many times I had to make a mad dash to the shop before it closed to get more or else miss riding the next day. It was many years before I learned the easy, proper way to install them.

I have no idea if this POS clip caused me a mild or major panic attack but I cursed at it all the same.

I wonder how many shops are holding those carb needle clips that went flying off. Or a masterlink clip. Or that one unique nut or bolt that slowly rolled into the dark corner as the guy wrenching watched thinking "I know where it went." while he had his hands full, only to never find that muther effing $1.50 bolt that ruined his weekend.

Share your tales of cursed lost parts. Even better if you found them years later.

Looks like your mess is a shop. Like mine. Smile
FWYT
9/23/2020 6:18pm
just James wrote:
Looks like your mess is a shop. Like mine. Smile
Yeah, that's the garage we grew up in so it has accumulated some odds and ends over the past 50 years.

Actually, that might be a fun thread on itself....
SEEMEFIRST
9/23/2020 7:30pm
I've done the clips in the bottom and learned.
Been down to no 10mm sockets, etc.

But my best re-find was finding a contact lense that my buddy lost in a bar fight.

It was stuck to the back of his head, and I was riding bitch and saw it.

Nucking futz.
DynoDan22
9/23/2020 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 8:20pm
If you ever drop a circlip in a two stroke bottom end, put a dab of tacky grease on each crank web. Rotate the crank slowly and the circlip will stick to the grease and you can easily grab it. Wipe off the grease and you're good to go. Works like a charm!
Kanewel433
9/24/2020 10:35am
Once went to load up my CR125 to go to a race and noticed the oil filler cap was gone! But I was in a hurry...
Once went to load up my CR125 to go to a race and noticed the oil filler cap was gone! But I was in a hurry to get to the race and loaded it up and took off in my truck, wondering the whole way how I was going to fix this.
I get to he track and I'm sitting there staring at the bike trying to figure how to fabricate an oil fill cap and I notice I had left it sitting in the footpeg. It had survived the whole load-up and trip to the track, sitting there in the peg. I put it back in and went and raced.
Funny how tiny things can turn into big problems on race day.
I've done this a time or two myself. Gas can caps as well; they sit so nice right on that darned footpeg but I forget every time.
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
9/24/2020 11:34am
DynoDan22 wrote:
If you ever drop a circlip in a two stroke bottom end, put a dab of tacky grease on each crank web. Rotate the crank slowly...
If you ever drop a circlip in a two stroke bottom end, put a dab of tacky grease on each crank web. Rotate the crank slowly and the circlip will stick to the grease and you can easily grab it. Wipe off the grease and you're good to go. Works like a charm!
Great tip Dan!

I have used this telescoping magnet with success.

Post a reply to: Ohhhhhhh! THAT'S where that part went!

The Latest