Ohlins sucks now?

12/28/2017 8:26pm
I was at the track bench racing, and Ohlins suspension was brought up, and Im hearing from riders that nobody liked the new shock? When did they go to a new shock that no one likes? Last i heard ohlins was THE best. Has anyone on vital tried the newer Ohlins shock? I would like to hear some feedback
|
mx317
12/28/2017 8:34pm
I have the new Flow shock on my KTM and like it.
Eljott
12/29/2017 2:03am
Yeah they suck all the bumps. I couldn't be happier with my setup.
Acidreamer
12/29/2017 4:44am
I know its been beaten to death, but if ohlins is so good why do people still run showa and kyb in the pro ranks? I know most guys can choose what they want and they never choose ohlins

The Shop

Eljott
12/29/2017 5:01am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2017 5:03am
Maybe that's why i like it. I'm no pro.
mx317
12/29/2017 5:10am
Acidreamer wrote:
I know its been beaten to death, but if ohlins is so good why do people still run showa and kyb in the pro ranks? I...
I know its been beaten to death, but if ohlins is so good why do people still run showa and kyb in the pro ranks? I know most guys can choose what they want and they never choose ohlins
There is a Yamaha team using them this year in 250SX, but I can't remember the name. I think it has to do with the level of support that Showa, KYB, and WP has in the USA at the pro events. I know some factory teams can pick either KYB or Showa, but Ohlins is not an option to use.
Crush
12/29/2017 5:12am
Acidreamer wrote:
I know its been beaten to death, but if ohlins is so good why do people still run showa and kyb in the pro ranks? I...
Saying most guys can choose what they want is probably the exact opposite of most pro-riders situations, and absolutely was until maybe recently where we've seen air-forks really cause a want to change from riders, i.e. Get me the fuck off these TACs.
BobPA
12/29/2017 6:26am
Acidreamer wrote:
Crush wrote:
Saying most guys can choose what they want is probably the exact opposite of most pro-riders situations, and absolutely was until maybe recently where we've seen...
Saying most guys can choose what they want is probably the exact opposite of most pro-riders situations, and absolutely was until maybe recently where we've seen air-forks really cause a want to change from riders, i.e. Get me the fuck off these TACs.
He proves time and time again that “Acidreamer” is the perfect handle.
mark_sxf
12/29/2017 6:59am
Have the flow shock and cartridges op front.
Fork is good
Shock is great

It is al about set-up folks..
Acidreamer
12/29/2017 7:23am
Acidreamer wrote:
Crush wrote:
Saying most guys can choose what they want is probably the exact opposite of most pro-riders situations, and absolutely was until maybe recently where we've seen...
BobPA wrote:
Is there a rule that says all those privateers arent allowed to choose ohlins? What about the factory guys that test kyb AND showa?

Im just asking questions dude. Not sure why youre such an asshole on the internet. Maybe tell your wife to stop fucking you with a strap on. Not everyone knows everything like you do.
aees
12/29/2017 7:31am
Ohlins does not run a full Pro-program, neither in Supercross, outdoors or GPs. Almost not the target market and i understand why. They sell suspension anyway and burning say €1 million on such a program, is equal to selling maybe 500 sets of suspension just to go break even.

They have had semis at GPs before, just dont think it is worth the money anymore.

The few guys running it in supercross, is very happy with it. I think many others would be as well if they tried it. Most of the guys running it in Supercross say you cant compare Ohlins to stock revalved. Ohlins is 10x better.

There is also different levels of pro-equipment, you cant compare WP 52mm with Ohlins-stuff that you can buy at any Ohlins retailer.

dirtmike86
12/29/2017 8:04am
Acidreamer wrote:
Didnt reed have ohilns on a bike not too long ago? But then again he might have been running his own team at that time so he could do what he wanted.
Forty
12/29/2017 8:07am
I bought a 12 year old Ohlins shock for $150.00, had it rebuilt and it outperforms the stock shock by a country mile, not even close.

They're better.
Acidreamer
12/29/2017 8:09am
Acidreamer wrote:
Crush wrote:
Ive seen quite a few videos where poto, roczen, tomac, stew or their mechanics talk about testing air vs spring, showa vs kyb. I sortof assumed they have free reign on what they like. Maybe PC forces their guys to run the TAC forks. I dont recall any of them not being on them.
slipdog
12/29/2017 8:15am
aees wrote:
Ohlins does not run a full Pro-program, neither in Supercross, outdoors or GPs. Almost not the target market and i understand why. They sell suspension anyway...
Ohlins does not run a full Pro-program, neither in Supercross, outdoors or GPs. Almost not the target market and i understand why. They sell suspension anyway and burning say €1 million on such a program, is equal to selling maybe 500 sets of suspension just to go break even.

They have had semis at GPs before, just dont think it is worth the money anymore.

The few guys running it in supercross, is very happy with it. I think many others would be as well if they tried it. Most of the guys running it in Supercross say you cant compare Ohlins to stock revalved. Ohlins is 10x better.

There is also different levels of pro-equipment, you cant compare WP 52mm with Ohlins-stuff that you can buy at any Ohlins retailer.

Forks: For two years now Kevin has opted to run production 48mm Showa forks from a CRF250 instead of Honda’s works units. Most riders would spring for the high-status 50mm works forks, but they would do it for the wrong reasons. While Showa works forks are expensive, high tech and built to sustain high impacts, they aren’t practical for 99.9 percent of riders?and Kevin Windham includes himself in the majority. K-Dub prefers the flex characteristics of the stock CRF250 Showa forks, because they are more forgiving. It should be noted that the 2011 Honda CRF450 comes stock with Kayaba forks.

"I never would’ve thought I would experience this, but after spending some time with Ziggy at Factory Connection, we were riding stock suspension – stock components, of course Factory Connection valved and all that. My entire life, riding on these $30,000 forks was the way to go. It was the cat’s meow. Now, all of a sudden, it took us an entire season to find out that stock is best! Obviously, it came with the revalving and the work that only Factory Connection could do for me, but it’s stock stuff."
BobPA
12/29/2017 8:18am
Crush wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
Is there a rule that says all those privateers arent allowed to choose ohlins? What about the factory guys that test kyb AND showa? Im just...
Is there a rule that says all those privateers arent allowed to choose ohlins? What about the factory guys that test kyb AND showa?

Im just asking questions dude. Not sure why youre such an asshole on the internet. Maybe tell your wife to stop fucking you with a strap on. Not everyone knows everything like you do.
Don’t you have a piston to change?
philG
12/29/2017 9:25am
We have just swapped to a set of Marzoccchi forks with Ohlins Cartridges, from a set of Factory Marzocchi , for SM.. its much easier to tell which works best on the tarmac, than it is on the dirt,

The reason the japanese factories are using Showa and KYB is because that is what they use on the bikes they sell, so that is what the need to develop. For the same reason, KTM will always be WP.

Ohlins provide service at MotoGP , WSB, BSB and MXGP, and the stuff they use and develop is freely available, to a point, the stuff the factory guys use rarely filters down until its been replaced by something better.
Lastander
12/29/2017 9:34am
I have used Öhlins since 2010, mostly because the guy that invented the OG steering damper (the big golden one) lives just by me and my dad used to be a test rider for Öhlins when they were the shit in the GPs.
He was also a test rider when Öhlins developed a two wheel drive system for the old 426 Yamaha using hydraulic drive, i think my dad has some old pictures lying around of it if some of you are interested to see, the guy im talking about also has plenty of old test bikes with loads of old inventions, maybe i should call him up and you could get a sneak peak?

Now back on topic, this old fella has stopped trying to reinvent the wheel for MX and they have moved on to MTB suspension, if i recall Ken block got a specialized DH bike with Öhlins? This guy (Leif) did the testing on these.

Theres just not enough profit in MX/SX, but they make shitloads on their rally/racing/motogp suspensions, just try to imagine the cost of a complete set of shocks for the Koeniseggs?
mb60
12/29/2017 9:36am
I have a Ohlins shock on a vintage 1984 yz 250 ? And can tell you my stock shock with fresh oil and race tech spring works just as well. So my question would be what made them so good back in the day ?
kkawboy14
12/29/2017 9:39am
I have the Factory Kawasaki air stuff, I didn’t have to buy anything else and it works perfectly!
philG
12/29/2017 9:49am
mb60 wrote:
I have a Ohlins shock on a vintage 1984 yz 250 ? And can tell you my stock shock with fresh oil and race tech spring...
I have a Ohlins shock on a vintage 1984 yz 250 ? And can tell you my stock shock with fresh oil and race tech spring works just as well. So my question would be what made them so good back in the day ?
Is that from when Ohlins were owned by Yamaha briefly and were OEM on some Yamaha bikes... those shocks were not the standard of the aftermarket stuff.
Jbulz
Fantasy
3981st
12/29/2017 10:04am
I really want to try a set of Ohlins on my KX after MLs TTX Flow review. Plus that gold just looks bad ass!
aees
12/29/2017 10:14am
philG wrote:
We have just swapped to a set of Marzoccchi forks with Ohlins Cartridges, from a set of Factory Marzocchi , for SM.. its much easier to...
We have just swapped to a set of Marzoccchi forks with Ohlins Cartridges, from a set of Factory Marzocchi , for SM.. its much easier to tell which works best on the tarmac, than it is on the dirt,

The reason the japanese factories are using Showa and KYB is because that is what they use on the bikes they sell, so that is what the need to develop. For the same reason, KTM will always be WP.

Ohlins provide service at MotoGP , WSB, BSB and MXGP, and the stuff they use and develop is freely available, to a point, the stuff the factory guys use rarely filters down until its been replaced by something better.
Ohlins has maybe a small van at mxgp, from the local distributor or service center. There is no support program from Sweden like WP has. I understand that, cost a shitload of money to drag a semi around the world, or even just in Europe.
Rejser
12/29/2017 1:30pm
From what I have heard the shocks have been good but fork not so much. Really fast enduro guys had problems with deflection when they hit stuff hard. A not so good kept secret is that some Öhlins sponsored guys here actually had wp aer cartridges in the fork.
That was the old fork with black coating....new all gold one should be better I guess.
mb60
12/29/2017 2:07pm
philG wrote:
Is that from when Ohlins were owned by Yamaha briefly and were OEM on some Yamaha bikes... those shocks were not the standard of the aftermarket...
Is that from when Ohlins were owned by Yamaha briefly and were OEM on some Yamaha bikes... those shocks were not the standard of the aftermarket stuff.
Not sure Phil. Maybe I don't ride it hard enough to know what a Ohlins shock is supposed to do. LOL
jtiger12
12/29/2017 2:20pm
aees wrote:
Ohlins does not run a full Pro-program, neither in Supercross, outdoors or GPs. Almost not the target market and i understand why. They sell suspension anyway...

500 sets to break even on 1 million?

That a HUGE profit margin, $2000 per set.
aees
12/29/2017 2:39pm
aees wrote:

jtiger12 wrote:
500 sets to break even on 1 million?

That a HUGE profit margin, $2000 per set.
Just an example to give an indication, and depends on how you count. I can imagine BOM being in the 50% range, then production cost/mounting, R&D etc shall be added.

I can't believe they would sell even close to 500 extra per year even if Tony Cairoli and Herlings where running Ohlins.
Justin345
12/30/2017 1:37pm
mx317 wrote:
There is a Yamaha team using them this year in 250SX, but I can't remember the name. I think it has to do with the level...
There is a Yamaha team using them this year in 250SX, but I can't remember the name. I think it has to do with the level of support that Showa, KYB, and WP has in the USA at the pro events. I know some factory teams can pick either KYB or Showa, but Ohlins is not an option to use.
Traders Racing
tek14
12/30/2017 1:45pm
I had Öhlins Flow on my KTM sxf350 last summer. It was one of best I have ever used.

Post a reply to: Ohlins sucks now?

The Latest