btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
motardchris motardchris
1/5/2018 11:55 AM

Are the newer KTM 2 strokes better bikes than the older Japanese bikes?

I currently own a 2002 rm250. The bike is in like new condition besides the wheel set. Every bearing has been replaced, the motor has been rebuilt, new pipe, fresh suspension, all new cables etc.
I set the bike up for MX but lately have been doing a lot more off-road riding than moto and want a bike that's setup for it.
I'm debating whether to buy the parts needed to make my RM an off-road bike (wheel set, rekluse, desert tank, skid plate and armor) to the tune of about $2500 and ride it or to sell and buy a 2015 ish KTM 250/300xc used. The KTMs go for about $5k used and obviously I would need to tailor it to myself.

So, update the RM or buy a KTM? What would you do?

Rhino Rhino
1/5/2018 12:01 PM

Ronnie Mac may have won the RBSR on a 98 had he not crashed. Stank Dog was on it though.

95% Rider.

Acidreamer Acidreamer
1/5/2018 12:07 PM

Theyre better in every way. Whether you want to spend the money is up to you. Like rhino said, its mostly rider.

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

JRT812 JRT812
1/5/2018 12:09 PM

Can't wait to get my wife's purse opened for a new KTM

motardchris motardchris
1/5/2018 12:19 PM
Acidreamer wrote:

Theyre better in every ...more

At the end of the day I'm gonna be putting money into something. I just wanna make sure I'm putting money into the bike that is best suited to my riding style.

Rockinar Rockinar
1/5/2018 12:21 PM

Better? Yes? Will you be faster? No. If you're slow, you're slow. You will be slow on any bike.

Same thing in golf. Are the new clubs better than old clubs? Yes. Will they make you play better? No. If you can't hit the ball with old clubs you wont be able to his the ball with new clubs.

chump6784 chump6784
1/5/2018 12:24 PM

I went from an 07 RM250 to a 12 ktm250sx, the ktm was a better bike and the newer ones are better again. All that said I felt more comfortablein the RM, I never gelled with the ergo's of the ktm

Dirty Points Dirty Points
1/5/2018 12:40 PM

If you're talking off-road, the KTM will be way, way better. Not because it is newer, or more advanced, but simply because a good off-road setup is more than just an 18" wheel and a Rekluse.

MX-style power delivery and gearing will still be a huge negative for fighting fatigue and navigating technical stuff on your bike.

motardchris motardchris
1/5/2018 12:41 PM
chump6784 wrote:

I went from an 07 RM250 to ...more

That's the sort of reply I was looking for. I love my RM it's an awesome bike but with 99% of off-road guys riding KTMs and almost exclusively ktm when it comes to two strokes, I'm thinking there may be reason for that beyond them just being newer with better brakes.

motardchris motardchris
1/5/2018 12:44 PM
Dirty Points wrote:

If you're talking ...more

My RM has an Eric Gorr 265cc kit with his mo' betta porting so it is very smooth already. I wish I knew someone with a KTM two stroke for me to compare it to.

Deal Brothers Trailers Deal Brothers Trailers
1/5/2018 12:52 PM

Are you saying you are prepared to spend an ADDITIONAL $2,500 on the RM ?

Get what you like...none of these things are investments except an investment in fun.

I would say however that the $2500 you spend on the RM will probably never be seen again.

Whereas you would probably see a bit better return on the newer KTM. These have a very LARGE cult like following.

Sounds like you are an RM guy through and through.....go with what you LOVE.
With that kind of spend on the RM, you would have one of the sickest ass RM's out there and be different from all us Orange peels.

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior

factoryfatty factoryfatty
1/5/2018 12:56 PM

I just got my 06 CR250 running and riding good after messing with the engine for a while.

Then I went and did a bonehead move and rode a 17 KTM 250sx at the track. Sold the CR 2 weeks later.

There's no way I could have dumped enough money into that CR to sniff that bone stock KTM. Off the charts better in every category. I offered the guy to ride my CR, he said "I'm good" haha.

Now I'm patiently waiting for a good deal on a 17 to pop up on CL.

scottydogmx scottydogmx
1/5/2018 12:59 PM
scottydogmx scottydogmx
1/5/2018 1:04 PM
Photo

Acidreamer Acidreamer
1/5/2018 1:12 PM
Acidreamer wrote:

Theyre better in every ...more

motardchris wrote:

At the end of the day I'm ...more

I think youd come out ahead by picking up a used ktm. The upgrades on the RM would likely cost more when you factor in matching the suspension and motor mods.

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

motardchris motardchris
1/5/2018 1:14 PM
Deal Brothers Trailers wrote:

Are you saying you are ...more

I've never owned anything other than a Suzuki since I've been on big bikes. Had an 01' rm125 then a 12' rmz450 and now the RM 250. I've always liked the way suzukis handle however, I've ridden new KTM and husky 4 strokes and think they handle well. I hate the suspension but I would just KYB swap it.
My RM runs and handles great as is but it not an off-road bike. I worried that after doing the mods I still won't be quite satisfied with it off-road.

TrailDigger TrailDigger
1/5/2018 2:50 PM
scottydogmx wrote:

Only 220 lbs? Shieeeeeet!

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

H4L H4L
1/5/2018 2:59 PM

I'd highly recommend riding a new KTM / Husky before buying one. Was thinking of upgrading an 03 CR2, but after riding a 17 Husky 250 2T last summer I wasn't impressed. Granted my CR isn't stock & does have some upgrades in the engine / suspension dept..
IMHO they aren't that much better.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

RCB33 RCB33
1/5/2018 3:00 PM

Not necessarily RM related but I rode a 2015 KTM 250f that was fairly stock besides suspension then a 2006 KDX back to back and the KTM was overall a better bike but the KDX was faster in a straight line. I don't think I would be faster on the KTM and yeah, I know, it's two stroke to a four stroke but the new KTM's in general seem hard to beat but you aren't going to get faster with a bike swap generally so I guess it's whatever makes you smile most.

RCB33

YamahaJT1 YamahaJT1
1/5/2018 3:56 PM

On my third rebuild of horribly crappy CR125 units from 05-07. To get them into full-on fighting shape is $5K+ including purchase of the OG clapper.

I have no idea as to what Zook OEM parts cost, but the Honda parts cost are rising... Must be some Magno-Moss act stuff or the Fukushima whack stuff.

Like yer old bike? Pour the piss outta your wallet into it, have something special and love it until the day you die.

BobPA BobPA
1/5/2018 4:04 PM
RCB33 wrote:

Not necessarily RM related ...more

You are either the worst test rider in the history of test riders. Or you do not know what a KDX is.

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

YamahaJT1 YamahaJT1
1/5/2018 4:10 PM
RCB33 wrote:

Not necessarily RM related ...more

BobPA wrote:

You are either the worst ...more

C'mon, Bob... Give him a "Brake".

JBernard_401 JBernard_401
1/5/2018 4:22 PM
BobPA wrote:

You are either the worst ...more

Cause when I think about what can beat a 45hp 250sxf its definitely the KDX with the kickstand.

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

YamahaJT1 YamahaJT1
1/5/2018 4:32 PM

Dirt Bike Magazine quotation... Gotta pile on.

"In its official lifespan from 1983 to 2006, the KDX was an evolutionary alligator, remaining mostly unchanged as eras passed and other bikes became extinct."

Feel badly, but...

erik_94COBRA erik_94COBRA
1/5/2018 5:03 PM

The new KTM/Husky (2017+) is better than the older versions and any Japanese offering, unless budget is a consideration.

r.sal923 r.sal923
1/5/2018 5:18 PM

I sold my 06 kx250 and picked up a 2016 te300. i had my kx set up for off road. The older 2 stroke sucks compared to the new one that was built for off road. No matter how much you put into a mx bike , it is hard to beat a specific off road machine. That goes the other way as well, I rode the husky on a mx track for 3 laps, packed up and went home, the kx Still worked way better on mx track even when it was set up for woods riding.

motardchris motardchris
1/5/2018 5:26 PM
r.sal923 wrote:

I sold my 06 kx250 and ...more

This is something to consider because I still will be riding this bike on mx tracks from time to time. I think with good suspension it should be do able considering I'm not racing or really focused on going fast on moto tracks anymore.

BobPA BobPA
1/5/2018 5:37 PM
r.sal923 wrote:

I sold my 06 kx250 and ...more

motardchris wrote:

This is something to ...more

TX 300
TX 250
300 XC
250 XC

You’re welcome

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5thgearpinnedJB65 5thgearpinnedJB65
1/5/2018 5:47 PM
erik_94COBRA wrote:

The new KTM/Husky (2017+) ...more

I don't know my dad's 05 yz250 has got to be the most comfortable bike I ever ridden and it flat out rips but then again there's not one thing stock on that bike but still has to be the best 2 stroke chassis ever

chump6784 chump6784
1/5/2018 6:24 PM
chump6784 wrote:

I went from an 07 RM250 to ...more

motardchris wrote:

That's the sort of reply I ...more

The ktm was better in every way, more power, better brakes, better chassis, suspension was about equal. The newer generation ktm's are improved on the model I had and are supposed to feel more like a japanese bike.

One drawback I found with the KTM though, the things rust. Parts like axle nuts, bolts on the engine, things that don't rust on a japanese bike rust on a ktm. I found it easier to keep rust off the bare metal pipe on the RM125 that was sitting right next to my ktm. Now I have 2 ktm 50's in the garage and its the same story, the bare metal pipes on my yz250 and yz125 are easier to keep rust off than the 50's.

However you may start to find getting parts for your RM will become or has become difficult. Anything oem will be drying up.

I would also look at the YZ250x. I now ride a YZ250 and prefer it as a total package to the RM or KTM and I find the build quality higher on the Yamaha. Sure the KTM comes with brembo's, E start, hydro clutch but I feel the Yamaha is built better, just feels more solid to work on

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry