Over 35 No Jumping Class?

GangGreen
12/26/2018 8:00am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 9:52am
I overheard a conversation regarding a recent motocross race in Florida. It seems there was an “Over35 No Jumping” class. Now typically I’m in favor of much fewer classes. No need to copy the ridiculous Limella Lynn’s class list for local events. Just Expert, Amateur, 30+, 40+, 50+, 50cc, 80cc, and longer motos. I also feel no need for a separate 250cc and 450cc Novice class.
That being said, I’m intrigued by this, and would love to know how it works. Do flagmen wave flags on the biggest jumps? Must riders roll everything, or there a go around bail out? From experience, often times there is one jump that if I’m not doing it, there’s almost no way to win. It’s usually a stupid, unnecessary, 55mph mid-straightaway and with balls you could jump it on a XR750 Harley.
Thoughts?
|
Truespode
12/26/2018 8:10am
I raced a no-jumping class in Delta, OH back around 2004 or so.

I had a great time. I got 2nd and was neck and neck with the leader. Lots of planning on the corners and trying to find the best way from obstacle to obstacle. He had obviously raced it before because he knew the best lines but it was a great time and I was more focused on the actual racing than other classes where I was more concerned about setting myself up for the jumps.

Ivan
kb228
12/26/2018 8:27am
I see where a no jumping class would fit older guys who dont want to risk their well being. But i feel like jumps are a part of mx.

No jumping class should just be a beginner (D) class. If you dont want to jump, find some turn track races or something.
Preston412
12/26/2018 8:34am
It was a Christmas race Dean does every year, the class was added so every rider could fall into a class that was right for their skill level or for parents who don't really ride/race and give them all a chance to win the give away items and the items aren't cheap products

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
12/26/2018 8:40am
Truespode wrote:
I raced a no-jumping class in Delta, OH back around 2004 or so. I had a great time. I got 2nd and was neck and neck...

I had a great time. I got 2nd and was neck and neck with the leader. Lots of planning on the corners and trying to find the best way from obstacle to obstacle. He had obviously raced it before because he knew the best lines but it was a great time and I was more focused on the actual racing than other classes where I was more concerned about setting myself up for the jumps.

Ivan
You mean to tell me you had fun racing without doing any jumps??? Impossible!!! Tongue

Seriously though, I would not be opposed to a few tracks without jumps or with very few jumps that are on the smaller side and just table tops. Let those tracks get rough and have a more old school feel! That would be a blast to me!
12/26/2018 8:43am
Truespode wrote:
I raced a no-jumping class in Delta, OH back around 2004 or so. I had a great time. I got 2nd and was neck and neck...

Ivan
Delta is such a shit hole anymore lol. Tried a race there last year and pulled off in the second moto. The jump faces were so sketchy I wasn’t comfortable hitting them. They had A & B class guys getting hurt and lots of complaints to the owner about how terrible they were. His comeback was they should “know how to ride” lol
12/26/2018 8:47am
I think something in the middle would be ideal. As a member of the +35 crowd, I have scaled back on my jumping. I can't take the risk I used to so I pick and choose on jumps, though I still like it. I dont mind bigger jumps if they are more natural or have some type of flow. I just don't care for the jumps that have some massive lip that I have to hit in 4th gear pinned to make it. Ten years ago it wasn't as big of a dea to mel, but I do think track design on a local level needs to be re-thought. I enjoy woods riding these days and finding natural jumps is the best.
ga_pike
12/26/2018 9:25am
Wouldn't "scramblecross" be a very similar thing?

I like the idea of races with less jumps. For many working people, the risk/reward isn't worth it. I remember back in the late 80's when the arenacross races in Ohio would make a rule that the minis were not allowed to jump the finish line. While I'm sure the 1 or 2 guys who were jumping it disagreed, it was overall a safer environment for everyone on the track.

That said, I also feel there should be "no jump limit" classes for those who want to complete at that level.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
12/26/2018 9:36am
It seems like it California there already close
At some vet tracks (jumps but very tame and safe, but the in some parts
Of the country they are pretty extreme.

Also didnt there use to be TT races?
Xracer
12/26/2018 9:37am
Truespode wrote:

Ivan
Delta is such a shit hole anymore lol. Tried a race there last year and pulled off in the second moto. The jump faces were so...
Delta is such a shit hole anymore lol. Tried a race there last year and pulled off in the second moto. The jump faces were so sketchy I wasn’t comfortable hitting them. They had A & B class guys getting hurt and lots of complaints to the owner about how terrible they were. His comeback was they should “know how to ride” lol
With any luck he'll sell like he did his "other" track. That track is primo now.
12/26/2018 9:56am
Watch videos. California tracks have big jumps with a roller in the middle. Easily jumped half way smooth or air it out all the way if you wish with a nice rounded landing. A lot of tracks could learn something. But some of my worst injuries happened from high speed high sides, first turn crashes etc. Not on jumps.
NorCal 50+
12/26/2018 10:15am
I went to a no jumping race. It was called a hare scramble.
barnett468
12/26/2018 10:19am
Watch videos. California tracks have big jumps with a roller in the middle. Easily jumped half way smooth or air it out all the way if...
Watch videos. California tracks have big jumps with a roller in the middle. Easily jumped half way smooth or air it out all the way if you wish with a nice rounded landing. A lot of tracks could learn something. But some of my worst injuries happened from high speed high sides, first turn crashes etc. Not on jumps.
"California tracks have big jumps with a roller in the middle. Easily jumped half way smooth..."

You obviously haven't been to Perris raceway recently.

Myke
Fantasy
2861st
12/26/2018 10:20am
Watch videos. California tracks have big jumps with a roller in the middle. Easily jumped half way smooth or air it out all the way if...
Yup alot of the tracks here are doing that. Not only does it give you a short option it also keeps the traffic on the track moving faster because less skilled guys are doing the short option and it's not that much slower than clearing the whole thing.
Flip109
12/26/2018 10:32am
I think maybe a good idea for vet classes and maybe some mini or beginner classes would be no jumping on the first lap when everyone is really close together.
CozMan
12/26/2018 10:34am
I'm 43 and haven't been in a race since probably 1988. That said, I love riding my bike and do so at the local track all the time. If they had a full class of 40+ that included NO JUMPING, I'd sign up in a flash. I so miss the adrenaline of "the battle", but I don't race because I refuse to do anything except for small tabletops.

I'm sure there are others out there like me that would mix it up without the physical dangers. I endorse this idea and think it would be great fun to race in a class that was all about the racing without the jumps.
12/26/2018 10:47am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 10:51am
I think we have enough classes. I see no place for a class like this at a sanctioned event.
12/26/2018 10:50am
CozMan wrote:
I'm 43 and haven't been in a race since probably 1988. That said, I love riding my bike and do so at the local track all...
I'm 43 and haven't been in a race since probably 1988. That said, I love riding my bike and do so at the local track all the time. If they had a full class of 40+ that included NO JUMPING, I'd sign up in a flash. I so miss the adrenaline of "the battle", but I don't race because I refuse to do anything except for small tabletops.

I'm sure there are others out there like me that would mix it up without the physical dangers. I endorse this idea and think it would be great fun to race in a class that was all about the racing without the jumps.
You can still race if you don't do all the jumps. This mindset is a big part of why MX is suffering in attendance. People only want to participate if they have a chance to win. Most of my moto injuries had nothing to do with jumps.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
12/26/2018 10:55am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I went to a no jumping race. It was called a hare scramble.
They are getting popular it seems ,
Personally i dont like Riding through
Heavily Treed area's
barnett468
12/26/2018 11:02am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 11:03am
CozMan wrote:
I'm 43 and haven't been in a race since probably 1988. That said, I love riding my bike and do so at the local track all...

"I'm sure there are others out there like me that would mix it up without the physical dangers."

It's basically only as dangerous as the rider makes it.

"I endorse this idea and think it would be great fun to race in a class that was all about the racing without the jumps."

That type of racing would be called short track or tt.
downard254
12/26/2018 11:07am
They’ve had a no jumping class for years, it’s called Flat Track!
steed 2.0
12/26/2018 11:24am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 12:26pm
Spectators pay serious entry fees these days so in return they wanna see some serious action fully understandable however, Pro Motocross vs Hobby / Amateur racing has become two different worlds... jump faces feel like walls these days, maybe nice for Roczen & Co but unrealistic for Joe Sixpack...
Almost everyone can jump a ski jump if not? roll it!

https://youtu.be/FfOHHmkos1Q
CozMan
12/26/2018 11:34am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 11:40am
You can still race if you don't do all the jumps. This mindset is a big part of why MX is suffering in attendance. People only...
You can still race if you don't do all the jumps. This mindset is a big part of why MX is suffering in attendance. People only want to participate if they have a chance to win. Most of my moto injuries had nothing to do with jumps.
in my opinion, I disagree a little. Overpowered bikes on a track that includes 90' tabletops isn't fun for a guy that wants to mix it up with his buddies doing some racing without the large threat of going home in an ambulance.

Flat track racing isn't motocross, and that's what we want to do. I get that jumps are a big part of things, but if people set up a class specifically for guys that want to enjoy motocross without risking broken bones, sign me up.

And yes, I know I could be hurt doing 50mph down a straight. I get it. In the end, I dig this idea. As for attendance, when you're going in almost $10k to have a competitive bike with appropriate gear, that's the largest issue for attendance. (IMO)

As for wanting to win...I really wouldn't care. I bet you $10 I'd be competitive with many out there if I wasn't having to hit a sketchy jump...but coming in 5th place while having a blast and NOT risking my neck sounds like a great Saturday to me.

EDIT to add: As others have commented, a hybrid is probably the best. i.e. You have to roll the big double, but the tabletop is up to you. I mean, some obstacles like tabletops are pretty safe and shouldn't be an issue.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
12/26/2018 11:40am
+35 shouldn't be jumping anything anyways...

just kidding, had to say it though TongueTongueTongue
motomike894
12/26/2018 11:49am
A lot of tracks don't even have that many big jumps or any big jumps anymore, at least here in the Midwest most don't, if they do its just 1-2 bigger ones that most people in 35 plus would be doing anyway.\

But if you don't want to jump anything I would ride beginner or race in the woods.
pummel
Fantasy
528th
12/26/2018 11:52am
I like the idea- Wonder if it means wheels on the ground or just no doubles?
RCMXracing
12/26/2018 11:53am
Is it April 1st? This is really a thread? No jumping class? Wut?

If there’s some ridiculous jump that some dood is hitting it won’t make a difference in a race, guy is usually faster anyway. Also have had situations where I’m not the fastest but willing to jump something and I gain an advantage. Just depends on track. That’s life and Moto.

I will say this, it’s worth improving skills in jumping. No different than any aspect of MX. Get one on one coaching. I know a guy, a Vet, that started very late in life. He has had coaching and his skills have improved to the point that he’s a better jumper than many riders who’ve been doing it since youth. Go figure. He’s very calculated, not just sending it. It’s a learned skill just like the rest of Moto. Play around on a jump or two that you are comfortable with, different throttle, seat bouncing, standing, preload, etc. learn what bike does.

This is what I tell guys, myself included: “Don’t think about what can go wrong, think about what can go right.” Sounds dumb maybe, but works, power of positive thinking!
Seen guys breakthrough and finally bust something out and they are the happiest MF’rs on the planet! Great feeling and to me what separates Moto from other two wheel racing.
Premix
12/26/2018 11:56am
I’m not too far from that +35 class, I don’t know if I would dig a explicitly no jumping class. I picked up woods racing and the hybrid series over the past couple of years because I wanted a new challenge without having to send a huge blind jump.

Most fun I’ve had Racing a motorcycle in the past 5 years: Full Gas Sprint Enduro Harleywood Cross test. Picture dosen’t show the elevation but there were 3 ski jump style jumps you could hit wide open. Single file start, run your best time, no one to land on you, no worries about someone riding over their skill level and cleaning you out. Just you, the bike, and the course.

12/26/2018 11:59am
pummel wrote:
I like the idea- Wonder if it means wheels on the ground or just no doubles?
Maybe just natural terrain jumps?.... this maybe not possible in some parts of the country due to flat land?
dkurtd
12/26/2018 12:04pm
downard254 wrote:
They’ve had a no jumping class for years, it’s called Flat Track!
In the 1970's there were a few no jumping class, Flat Track, Short Track, Scrambles, and Hill Climb(no jumps per say). You had two jumping classes, Motocross and TT. I remember all the motocross guys showing up at the scramble track with their knobby tires and waxing the scramble/flat track guys. Eventually they said you had to run flat track tires at the scramble track.

Post a reply to: Over 35 No Jumping Class?

The Latest