Overall Gnarliest guy on a dirt bike

Mr. Afterbar
11/26/2019 9:59am
LungButter wrote:
I guess OP should have made the title "Overall Gnarliest Moto Baby On A Dirt Bike" then because when you are talking overall gnarly, MX guys...
I guess OP should have made the title "Overall Gnarliest Moto Baby On A Dirt Bike" then because when you are talking overall gnarly, MX guys can't hold the jock strap of off roaders...this thread seems to validate that.
That's a bunch of BS. I've raced moto and harescrambles my whole life. Off road is tough, but the competition level doesn't even come close to MX and SX. Ryan Sipes isn't the only ex-moto guy that could do what he is doing in other disciplines.
LungButter
11/26/2019 10:17am
That's a bunch of BS. I've raced moto and harescrambles my whole life. Off road is tough, but the competition level doesn't even come close to...
That's a bunch of BS. I've raced moto and harescrambles my whole life. Off road is tough, but the competition level doesn't even come close to MX and SX. Ryan Sipes isn't the only ex-moto guy that could do what he is doing in other disciplines.
Yeah, your right, Shorty killed it in WORCS this year...oh wait he go smoked the whole year, that is sure some sub par competition Tongue
Mr. Afterbar
11/26/2019 10:19am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 10:22am
That's a bunch of BS. I've raced moto and harescrambles my whole life. Off road is tough, but the competition level doesn't even come close to...
LungButter wrote:
Yeah, your right, Shorty killed it in WORCS this year...oh wait he go smoked the whole year, that is sure some sub par competition Tongue
He's already spent his best years competing in the most competitive disciplines of dirt bike racing. Now as a retired racer in his upper 30's, he's still comptetitive at the top of other disciplines. Mike Keidrowski is another example of moving on from moto to battle at the top of another discipline well past his prime. I'm not saying all moto guys are better than off road guys, but there is no denying that the talent of MX is stacked compared to other disciplines.
11/26/2019 10:31am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 10:41am
LungButter wrote:
He's already spent his best years competing in the most competitive disciplines of dirt bike racing. Now as a retired racer in his upper 30's, he's...
He's already spent his best years competing in the most competitive disciplines of dirt bike racing. Now as a retired racer in his upper 30's, he's still comptetitive at the top of other disciplines. Mike Keidrowski is another example of moving on from moto to battle at the top of another discipline well past his prime. I'm not saying all moto guys are better than off road guys, but there is no denying that the talent of MX is stacked compared to other disciplines.
Just different skills:
MX requires superior athleticism and risk-tolerance that younger guys still have. Off road and other endurance racing require discipline, racecraft, and technique in the nasty stuff that may take decades to develop.

But one thing is true: Dudes who are fast on a dirt bike are fast on a dirt bike.

The Shop

Brett_Clark
11/26/2019 11:14am
Pastrana with out a doubt has the biggest set of balls and he never backs out of anything
germansxguy
Fantasy
653rd
11/26/2019 4:12pm
MikeJones wrote:
I think it’s funny how Ryan Sipes is thrown into this conversation so often. Huge respect for the dude and he hands down has probably covered...
I think it’s funny how Ryan Sipes is thrown into this conversation so often. Huge respect for the dude and he hands down has probably covered the most ground as far as being competitive in multiple disciplines in motorcycle competition. But ‘competitive’ doesn’t make him close to the gnarliest guy around. There are probably twenty guys currently that could go out and blow his doors off in an off-road race, hill-climb, flat track etc. There just hasn’t been that many dudes who have crossed over... shoot even fat Ricky could probably handle him in just about all the categories I just listed.
I’m with you on that! He never won any major titles like RC or Stew. Don’t you guys think that RC, after racing professionell just goes to a flat track, hill climb or even a normal Enduro Race and just flat out smoke everybody? Well maybe Super and specially Hard Enduro is different and takes some other skills than the MX guys having. Let a guy like Manul Lettenbichler ride SX he would kill him self. Send one of the top SX guys with him on the Erzberg, the SX guy get’s killed. But I’m absolutly sure that the MX/SX rider adapts quicker to Hard Enduro than the other way around.
11/26/2019 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 6:26pm
MikeJones wrote:
I think it’s funny how Ryan Sipes is thrown into this conversation so often. Huge respect for the dude and he hands down has probably covered...
I think it’s funny how Ryan Sipes is thrown into this conversation so often. Huge respect for the dude and he hands down has probably covered the most ground as far as being competitive in multiple disciplines in motorcycle competition. But ‘competitive’ doesn’t make him close to the gnarliest guy around. There are probably twenty guys currently that could go out and blow his doors off in an off-road race, hill-climb, flat track etc. There just hasn’t been that many dudes who have crossed over... shoot even fat Ricky could probably handle him in just about all the categories I just listed.
I’m with you on that! He never won any major titles like RC or Stew. Don’t you guys think that RC, after racing professionell just goes...
I’m with you on that! He never won any major titles like RC or Stew. Don’t you guys think that RC, after racing professionell just goes to a flat track, hill climb or even a normal Enduro Race and just flat out smoke everybody? Well maybe Super and specially Hard Enduro is different and takes some other skills than the MX guys having. Let a guy like Manul Lettenbichler ride SX he would kill him self. Send one of the top SX guys with him on the Erzberg, the SX guy get’s killed. But I’m absolutly sure that the MX/SX rider adapts quicker to Hard Enduro than the other way around.
"Fat Ricky" probably can't handle much of any pro in a race format. As identified, he's fat.

What makes Sipes gnarly is that he makes sure he is ready to go perpetually, in any discipline, no matter who he faces skill, age, or fitness-wise. You actually think Stew (or whoever) wants any part of Sipes in some outside-of-their-discipline race? Of course not, because he's tough, skilled, fit, and prepared (in other words, GNARLY as hell).

Those other dudes maybe could beat him hypothetically with a bunch of preparation they won't actually do. I guess that makes them great hypothetical gnarly guys. Meawhile, Ryan's out there actually being gnarly.
germansxguy
Fantasy
653rd
11/27/2019 1:43am
MikeJones wrote:
I’m with you on that! He never won any major titles like RC or Stew. Don’t you guys think that RC, after racing professionell just goes...
"Fat Ricky" probably can't handle much of any pro in a race format. As identified, he's fat. What makes Sipes gnarly is that he makes sure...
"Fat Ricky" probably can't handle much of any pro in a race format. As identified, he's fat.

What makes Sipes gnarly is that he makes sure he is ready to go perpetually, in any discipline, no matter who he faces skill, age, or fitness-wise. You actually think Stew (or whoever) wants any part of Sipes in some outside-of-their-discipline race? Of course not, because he's tough, skilled, fit, and prepared (in other words, GNARLY as hell).

Those other dudes maybe could beat him hypothetically with a bunch of preparation they won't actually do. I guess that makes them great hypothetical gnarly guys. Meawhile, Ryan's out there actually being gnarly.
so how comes that gnarly dude Sipes never races a 450 SX? Not gonna say he is not gnarly but to be gnarliest dude.... and don’t forget, sipes is not retired, of course he keeps himself in race shape. And still a guy like TP comes out and smokes him in pretty much everything....
kunk
Fantasy
3033rd
11/27/2019 11:03am
"Fat Ricky" probably can't handle much of any pro in a race format. As identified, he's fat. What makes Sipes gnarly is that he makes sure...

so how comes that gnarly dude Sipes never races a 450 SX? Not gonna say he is not gnarly but to be gnarliest dude.... and don’t...
so how comes that gnarly dude Sipes never races a 450 SX? Not gonna say he is not gnarly but to be gnarliest dude.... and don’t forget, sipes is not retired, of course he keeps himself in race shape. And still a guy like TP comes out and smokes him in pretty much everything....
Jeremy McGrath finished erzberg.
Jamal#440
12/8/2019 10:46am
Mike Healey, 30 years on and theres still a jump in Europe named after him.
If you dont know the story listen to his After Hours interview and then /thread.
Bidirella
12/8/2019 1:19pm
Jamal#440 wrote:
Mike Healey, 30 years on and theres still a jump in Europe named after him. If you dont know the story listen to his After Hours...
Mike Healey, 30 years on and theres still a jump in Europe named after him.
If you dont know the story listen to his After Hours interview and then /thread.
Yes, and that’s the healey table top at Halle in Holland. He was the first one to jump it, and the club needed to cut the trees because he jumped so high.

Somewhere there are videos of it, looked for it but I can’t find them.

Right now the table got a really flat take off and landing that the little guys with a 85cc are jumping it.
Back in the days and still a few years ago when the still runned the Dutch Masters/ONK the face and landing where really steep and a longer distance. Only a few guys where to do it. But Mikey was the first one. Still to this day when Dutch people talk about Halmac Halle they talk about the Healey table.

Post a reply to: Overall Gnarliest guy on a dirt bike

The Latest