Pastrana's RM250's

Xracer
12/31/2017 9:32am
The thread about the broken RM250 swingarm, coupled with the VMX Pastrana feature this week got me thinking...how is Pastrana keeping those RM250's healthy? The bike hasn't been made in 10 years...aren't parts getting sparse? As someone mentioned, steel and aluminum have a finite number of flex cycles, and there's probably nobody on earth flexing and cycling an RM250 like Pastrana. I have a relative in San Diego who commuted to work 26 miles each way on a bicycle for years, then did 100-mile rides with buddies on weekends. He was pedaling along on flat ground one night on his way home and his frame snapped between the crank and rear wheel. Perfectly clean break, nowhere near a weld. It was bizarre to me but he was nonchalant...said in his world of high-mileage bike riders it was fairly common.
|
Sidecar
12/31/2017 9:43am
It’s a good question... He must have an RM grave yard somewhere, would love to see his used parts bin... or does he just bury them with a dozer like RC???
tek14
12/31/2017 9:56am
You have ever seen video from Pastranas house? They have plenty of bikes left.
mxb2
12/31/2017 10:15am
tek14 wrote:
X2,I have been there. Plenty of bikes, parts.
tiddlermx23
12/31/2017 11:05am
Plus he rides 125s sometimes as well so that only adds to the inventory.

The Shop

APLMAN99
12/31/2017 11:15am
Didn't they keep building their 2 strokes and selling them in other markets until about 5 or 6 years ago? Same bike, but just updating graphics? If so, there is probably a pretty decent supply of parts out there, just not necessarily local to the US......
Motofinne
12/31/2017 11:19am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2017 11:19am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Didn't they keep building their 2 strokes and selling them in other markets until about 5 or 6 years ago? Same bike, but just updating graphics...
Didn't they keep building their 2 strokes and selling them in other markets until about 5 or 6 years ago? Same bike, but just updating graphics? If so, there is probably a pretty decent supply of parts out there, just not necessarily local to the US......
I don't think so.

You're probably thinking of brand new 2008 RMs that collected dust at various dealers a few years after they stopped production. I think the last RM 250 in Finland got sold in 2010 or 2011 (left over 2008 RM 250).
bama205
12/31/2017 12:20pm
He bought 800 of them when they shut down 2-stroke ops
Rockinar
12/31/2017 1:09pm
Xracer wrote:
The thread about the broken RM250 swingarm, coupled with the VMX Pastrana feature this week got me thinking...how is Pastrana keeping those RM250's healthy? The bike...
The thread about the broken RM250 swingarm, coupled with the VMX Pastrana feature this week got me thinking...how is Pastrana keeping those RM250's healthy? The bike hasn't been made in 10 years...aren't parts getting sparse? As someone mentioned, steel and aluminum have a finite number of flex cycles, and there's probably nobody on earth flexing and cycling an RM250 like Pastrana. I have a relative in San Diego who commuted to work 26 miles each way on a bicycle for years, then did 100-mile rides with buddies on weekends. He was pedaling along on flat ground one night on his way home and his frame snapped between the crank and rear wheel. Perfectly clean break, nowhere near a weld. It was bizarre to me but he was nonchalant...said in his world of high-mileage bike riders it was fairly common.
I saw a video somewhere and he said he bought every RM250 he could get his hands on.
jeffro503
12/31/2017 1:15pm
Don't know if this was mentioned yet.....but I know Travis found some shop or small parts warehouse stocked full of RM 2 stroke stuff , and bought damn near everything they had. This was about 2 years ago. Talking to a buddy of mine that kinda knows him , he said Travis wanted a lot of back up parts because he was going to keep riding them until he couldn't.

Speaking of RM parts.....I would pay money just to walk through Travis's or RC's shop. I know RC has a big pile of parts as well , or at least did.
jeffro503
12/31/2017 1:18pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Didn't they keep building their 2 strokes and selling them in other markets until about 5 or 6 years ago? Same bike, but just updating graphics...
Motofinne wrote:
I don't think so. You're probably thinking of brand new 2008 RMs that collected dust at various dealers a few years after they stopped production. I...
I don't think so.

You're probably thinking of brand new 2008 RMs that collected dust at various dealers a few years after they stopped production. I think the last RM 250 in Finland got sold in 2010 or 2011 (left over 2008 RM 250).
I think due to the 4 stroke craze , people dumped what they knew and hopped on the band wagon. If you are a 2 stroke guy , and own an RM , dial it in.....it truly is a tough bike to beat as far as fun and just feeling " perfect ". A lot could be said about the KX's , CR's and YZ's as well.....just pick your poison. It's a fun group to be in.
Motofinne
12/31/2017 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2017 1:22pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I don't think so. You're probably thinking of brand new 2008 RMs that collected dust at various dealers a few years after they stopped production. I...
I don't think so.

jeffro503 wrote:
I think due to the 4 stroke craze , people dumped what they knew and hopped on the band wagon. If you are a 2 stroke...
I think due to the 4 stroke craze , people dumped what they knew and hopped on the band wagon. If you are a 2 stroke guy , and own an RM , dial it in.....it truly is a tough bike to beat as far as fun and just feeling " perfect ". A lot could be said about the KX's , CR's and YZ's as well.....just pick your poison. It's a fun group to be in.
Yeah, there are reasons why they stopped the production and that is one. No one bought these bikes anymore.

I had a 2007 RM 250 2 years ago(you can find it here on Vitals bike check). I regret that i sold it. Good bike indeed, but far off the latest gen KTM.
mxb2
12/31/2017 1:25pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I don't think so.

jeffro503 wrote:
I think due to the 4 stroke craze , people dumped what they knew and hopped on the band wagon. If you are a 2 stroke...
Tp199 s property and garage is sick, I got a chance to go.
NorCal 50+
12/31/2017 1:33pm
I just finished my 2004 RM250 build and I had no problem getting any parts I needed off bto sports OEM section. And I was ordering some pretty obscure little parts.
jeffro503
12/31/2017 1:34pm
Motofinne wrote:
I don't think so.

jeffro503 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah, there are reasons why they stopped the production and that is one. No one bought these bikes anymore. I had a 2007 RM 250 2...
Yeah, there are reasons why they stopped the production and that is one. No one bought these bikes anymore.

I had a 2007 RM 250 2 years ago(you can find it here on Vitals bike check). I regret that i sold it. Good bike indeed, but far off the latest gen KTM.
Well , I myself wouldn't go and say " far " from off of the newer bikes. I think that some people think that because it's a 10-12 year old bike that it's way behind these newer gen bikes , but I don't see it that way. Every single time I ride my RM , I can't believe how well that bike performs and feels on the track. Like even after all the smiles , I sometimes get off that thing in dis-belief because of what it's capable of.

I'll tell you what bums me out a bit when I think back on it....I jumped on the 4 stroke train in 2002 when that CRF450 came out. I rode those until 2005 and then got hurt real bad , and stepped away from the sport for 6 years. I kick myself for not getting back into it sooner , but kick myself even harder for not trying one of those 03' - 08' RM 250's. I really think I would of fallen in love with one back then. By the time I came back ( In 2011 ) I didn't know anything about them. Until 3 years ago when I picked mine up , and after the first day of riding it I said " SHIT!!......why the hell didn't I try one of these before!!??"

That RM is what not only got me stuck on those , but back on 2 strokes in general. It's all I want to ride any more.
jeffro503
12/31/2017 1:35pm
Motofinne wrote:
I don't think so.

jeffro503 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Did you Billy? I've seen pics , but I bet that place would be something special to see if you're an RM nut!
mxb2
12/31/2017 1:41pm
jeffro503 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Did you Billy? I've seen pics , but I bet that place would be something special to see if you're an RM nut!
Yea, jeffro the day Josh did the first triple backflip. Saw it live, Travis gave me a hat. Super cool dude.
jeffro503
12/31/2017 1:45pm
mxb2 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Yea, jeffro the day Josh did the first triple backflip. Saw it live, Travis gave me a hat. Super cool dude.
THAT....is freakin' sweet Billy! I've never met him , but from what my buddy said , he's just a kickass dude who loves dirt bikes.
mxb2
12/31/2017 1:55pm
jeffro503 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
THAT....is freakin' sweet Billy! I've never met him , but from what my buddy said , he's just a kickass dude who loves dirt bikes.
It's true, Travis is super cool.
lumpy790
12/31/2017 5:55pm
mxb2 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
It's true, Travis is super cool.
Always has been since his MAMA Aquasco days
JAFO92
12/31/2017 6:40pm
Jeffro's right, those RMs are superb machines.
mikec265
12/31/2017 9:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2017 9:21pm
We might need to get one of those quad companies to make us aftermarket RM frames and swingarms and other parts. Just like they did with the old Honda 250r 4 wheelers.
The bike is so good I put a KX500 into one of mine instead of going the af conversion route.
Set the suspension up, add a pipe, bars, pegs, and seat to fit YOU right. Hard to beat fun factor of it unless you are riding fast trails. Then stuff a 500 in it and run more sag.

Post a reply to: Pastrana's RM250's

The Latest