Per Round SX Sponsorship Opportunity

crowe176
11/29/2019 8:32pm
I hope this takes off.

What if he doesn’t make the main?
APLMAN99
11/29/2019 8:47pm
brocster wrote:
Some of you need to get out of your state and see the world. There are companies that drop way more than $15 for events on...
Some of you need to get out of your state and see the world.

There are companies that drop way more than $15 for events on what seems to be silly advertising to potentially draw customers, way more.

Again, this advertising is for more than the 3 hr race if you have any comprehension skills of his advertisement. See the forest through the trees...

Pretty sure he would entertain a mom and pop or smaller company, but given his previews I think he is targeting larger companies that have throw away money. i.e. large budgets, very large budgets for marketing and everything it is comprised of.

Realized gains are hard to measure but they are real. Its a gamble and you can’t win if you don’t play...
I don't think he'll target or get much 'throw away money'. I think he'll get companies that truly want exposure to the demographic that attends or watches SX racing.

An example might be a large regional home builder who builds lots of spec 'starter' homes. The younger people attending SX races could be the perfect target market for a company like this and if they are able to put up a display, do a raffle that acquires potential customer info, etc, then it could be one of those events that drives immediate business AND helps drive brand awareness. Our little hometown 'Home Show' charges up to $5K for a booth for 48 hours that doesn't get anywhere near the attendance of a SX race.

The only big worry I see is whether he'll have enough time to research companies and sell the concept while still being able to do the training and preparation needed to perform well enough to keep sponsor interest up.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/29/2019 8:48pm
This has been done before but maybe not to this extent. Back when Mike Kidd had his arenacross series the top riders like Hawthorn would represent local shops for a price and it was money well spent because it was advertising directly to our demographic and we built a lasting business relationship with both Dennis Hawthorn and Jimmy Gaddis over the years when the series would come to Denver. Mike Kidd built a hugely successful brand and it was because he and his riders could sell a product that was mutually beneficial to them and us.In Denver the races were standing room only every year so that is a lot of bang for your buck, that is until he sold it and the AMA ruined it. Pinch
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
11/30/2019 1:37pm
I’m all in on this idea, but the majority of you are high if you think a small shop or business is going to recoup that amount of money.

It would need to be a guy with a big pile of money who loves supercross because he won’t get a return on that money.

The Shop

Gilby122
11/30/2019 2:13pm
In my business we constantly have to remind our employees to not “sell to themselves.” What may be expensive to you, is a drop in the bucket to others. Value is different for every single person. Sitting here, $15k may seem like a lot....but someone else is seeing that as a good deal for what is being offered. All about how he packages it and promotes it. Hope it works for him!
B Gotti
Fantasy
4205th
11/30/2019 2:40pm
Gilby122 wrote:
In my business we constantly have to remind our employees to not “sell to themselves.” What may be expensive to you, is a drop in the...
In my business we constantly have to remind our employees to not “sell to themselves.” What may be expensive to you, is a drop in the bucket to others. Value is different for every single person. Sitting here, $15k may seem like a lot....but someone else is seeing that as a good deal for what is being offered. All about how he packages it and promotes it. Hope it works for him!
Most people can't get past that first line.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
11/30/2019 2:47pm
Gilby122 wrote:
In my business we constantly have to remind our employees to not “sell to themselves.” What may be expensive to you, is a drop in the...
You’re selling a product, not advertising.
Gilby122
11/30/2019 2:56pm
Gilby122 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
You’re selling a product, not advertising.
Correct. Same principle applies though in my opinion. Value in what you’re purchasing - whether that’s a product or exposure. I still have to market my product. May seem high to you. Won’t be high to others.
Tumblin
12/3/2019 6:57am
I learned more from my first employer than I have from the 500 or more meat cutters, management and owners I've worked with since...on Day 2 when I nervously weighed the chosen Rib Eyes and let the customer know it was an expensive purchase in my tone, my boss took me aside and let me know to never be afraid to ask your price. That there are more people with wealth and desire to enjoy the best of the best experiences in life. Selection, variety and economy all support consumer choices.
Good vision Michael, with a needed option for bringing opportunity to our sport and to business that want to tap in. Best of luck with Canvas and making those mains! From what I witnessed in Grays Harbor Labor Day weekend - luck is a smaller portion in your plan than most Vitards could ponder.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
12/3/2019 7:34am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2019 7:35am
Miami305 wrote:
I had to create an account here just to reply to this post. First off, Happy Thanksgiving to all! Second, a big WELL DONE to Michael...
I had to create an account here just to reply to this post.

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Second, a big WELL DONE to Michael Leib. People bitch and whine about how there is no sponsorship money, no rides, etc. ... and then when someone finally comes to the table with a SOLID idea it gets shot down. So much negativity in this sport when it comes to evolving it (or keeping it above water at this point).

Now, that is not directed to anyone directly in this thread. It's just how this sport/industry is.

I grew up in the glory days of MX. The mid-90s. Local guys were making six-figures in contingency money alone, with gear deals, etc. Why? Because the sport was booming. Local tracks had double gates just for qualifying. The cost to participate was lower thanks to 2-smokes (I will leave that to another time), but if we ever want to see the sport return to the glory days of thriving, then change an innovative ideas like these need to be embraced and encouraged ... not just shot down without any data to back it up, aside from just "thinking it won't work."

This will work, and I want to explain why, dollar-wise, in hopes that it will help some people understand, because from the outside looking in (with no experience in marketing or advertising) just seeing a $15K price tag is ultimate sticker shock.

I owned a large digital marketing agency for 10 years. That has since pivoted into a D2C brand development agency. I'm going to give an example of why this is a home run for consumer brands, dollar-wise.

TV, radio, print, etc. (old school) marketing is still great for brand awareness. Online, social media specifically, is great for immediate conversions. The most successful D2C brands use a combination.

If you are riding a trend (think fidget spinners, detox teas, some BS keto pill, etc.) then you aren't too concerned with the branding aspect. The trend will soon be replaced by something new. So, you focus 100% online, running paid ads across Facebook and Instagram, while also running Google and Bing paid ads.

But, as more D2C brands are being created with more long-term goals (being acquired by a major like P&G, J&J, etc.) they are realizing that you still need to allocate budget to branding plays. Anyone that has bought TV time, radio spots, billboards, print, etc. knows that it is mega expensive.

This opportunity that Michael Leib is presenting is a STEAL for D2C consumer brands.

Let me explain.

A brand could spend $15,000 on a Facebook ads campaign in a single day, pissing through that budget in a matter of hours. Anyone that is familiar with Facebook knows two things: it takes a lot of testing and optimizing to get a campaign up and performing well, and then when it hits peak performance you need to change creatives, duplicate ad sets, etc. Costs are getting out of hand as well and there is no sign of those leveling off anytime soon.

Let's assume there is a nutrition brand that makes "SUPER VITAMIN" - a multi-purpose super vitamin with a $29 retail price and cost of good sold of $6. You might have a conversion cost of $15 on Facebook and paid media, leaving the brand with $8. Oh, then you have to account for the warehouse, fulfillment, staff, etc.

Getting VERY competitive. So many knock-off brands popping up. So, run $15K in Facebook ads and push 1,000 units....or, put that money into a SX deal, and look what you get...4 takeaways to consider:

1) Possible TV time and a brand mention. This can be heard by hundreds of thousands, which then trigger Google searches, pushing traffic to your website and social media profiles. Possibility of day-of-event conversions and generated revenue? Yep. And guess what? The sport is so tight-knit that I bet if Michael talked to the announcing team they would make an effort to give that sponsor a plug. It's so new and different it's going to draw attention. "XXXX, who is this race's title sponsors" etc. gives them something to talk about.

2) Event activation. Brand presence in the pits is ideal to gather data (email addresses and social followers). A few iPads set up and a couple promo models handing out samples in exchange for an email address and a follow on social media. Brands can pay anywhere from $5 to $10+ to capture an email. This is added value, giving them an audience they can direct market to via email offers, engage with on social, and load up and re-market to via Facebook and Google.

3) CONTENT. This is honestly the real value here. Content is everything for a brand. It's what draws consumers to them. You can't just create boring and stale content if you want to win. Let's admit it...dirt bikes a fu#king cool. Being the title sponsor of a race bike with that much branding on the bike and gear looks like a BIG DEAL to the average consumer that doesn't know a thing about Supercross. It gives the brand instant credibility. They can post pictures of the bike and rider on social, send it to their email list, etc. They can also create race day content...vide clips, pictures, a vlog, etc. Brands are spending a lot of money on content as they all try to one-up each other. I can promise you many are dropping WAY more than $15,000 on content shoots and it's nothing as cool as SX. A smart brand will send a photographer and videographer to the event, and if done right will give them months worth of content that can be used across several different marketing channels.

4) Continued marketing partner/brand ambassador. Imagine if the brand and Michael hit it off and there was a great response...and they said, "Hey Michael, if you continue to act as a brand ambassador we can give you a cut. Anytime someone uses the discount code 'LEIB' we are going to give the customer a nice discount and you will receive a cut of the revenue" ...wouldn't it make sense for him to continue to plug them? Yep. Savvy SX fans will connect the brand to Michael as being one of the sponsors and that is a much stronger brand to consumer bridge than cold paid traffic.

Back to family time...but I am excited to see how this works out. It's a great idea, and something intelligent D2C brands should be all over. The value is there.
Great post there mate. ML is onto something here. All the best to him.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
12/3/2019 8:06am
This is very cool and innovative, and it'll work.

Good luck with this concept ML.
kkawboy14
12/3/2019 8:08am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I get it, we all want him to succeed! The reality is I will be shocked if he can pull 1 $15,000 night out of anyone...
I get it, we all want him to succeed!

The reality is I will be shocked if he can pull 1 $15,000 night out of anyone. I have unloaded my check book to help many guys, still do. The return has been nothing from a business standpoint, maybe some employee moral boosting (there is some value in that to me)

Helping Lieb understand the realities of business to me is more important than blowing smoke up his butt! I challenge you to get him $2000 for 1 night from anyone, when you do, have Lieb post up a big thank you here! And I will sing yours or anyone’s praises.

xrmark wrote:
You’re a tool.
....of course!
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
12/3/2019 8:51am
kb228 wrote:
$15,000 for a big logo on a bike for 1 night? Im not an expert, but that price seems high for the potential sales that one...
$15,000 for a big logo on a bike for 1 night?

Im not an expert, but that price seems high for the potential sales that one 3 hour window of tv may or may not produce.

Great idea though. 15k just seems high. Maybe im misunderstanding.
vdrsnk04 wrote:
With as many viewers as you get in one night of racing it’s a great deal. All it takes is to get one sale from it...
With as many viewers as you get in one night of racing it’s a great deal. All it takes is to get one sale from it and it’s paid for.
kkawboy14 wrote:
If a company makes 6% profit as a company how big of a sale does it take to generate $15,000 dollars?
one sale, not one product. If i can bring on a new customer it is easily worth it. It is different for every company.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
12/3/2019 2:04pm
This is a great idea.

I recently thought of another way to do something very cool.

Get a suite at a SX and sell tickets to it or offer it as a package for a local sponsor.

I am not sure what the hard costs are for gear / graphics per weekend but if your 15k a race came with a suite and 22 tickets so the sponsor had the best seats / bathrooms in the house. It might surely tip the bucket when thinking about getting the package deal.

I got a suite at Atlanta SX last year. It was $3300 and had 18 seats and 4 stools. (22 tickets)

If you are a successful construction company or local restaurant or many many other options, how cool would it be to have your bike and rider to root for, the best seats in the house and the cleanest bathrooms.

This type of sponsorship isn’t for how many eyes you can get on the bike and rider. I don’t think that lane of marketing will sell, not enough ROI for local potential sponsors. However, if you can sell the idea that the sponsor has a rider to root for, a place in the pits to hang and 22 tickets to a suite for the races. Bam.

GangGreen
12/4/2019 6:51am
I like the idea and wish him success. Honestly, the real question is will Feld Entertainment in Supercross, or MX Sports at the outdoor nationals, give him any acknowledgement or TV time.

I see an "target market" opportunity with state tourism bureaus like Explore WV, PA Wilds, Explore ORV Michigan, Hatfield McCoy Trails, etc. who have off-road riding areas. Even regional motorcycle dealerships like Andretti Powersports, or a regional auto dealer like the Bobby Rahal Automotive Group.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
12/4/2019 6:58am
15k to sponsor Chase Sexton or Austin Forkner for the night is much different that sponsoring Michael Leib. I don't want to even bother looking up his results, but results should speak for themselves. If he was truly a top 10 racer on a 250 on a weekly basis he would have a ride. I don't try to be a prick, I try to be a realist, but sometimes peoples feelings get hurt when that happens.

As I said when I first saw this, I commend his efforts, but I don;t think he will have any takers, not because of the amount but because of the amount to sponsor him.
4evermx
12/4/2019 7:03am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2019 7:04am
Brutal comments. I wake up just about everyday (and I'm pushing 60) to ride/race my bike but some of you are the reason the sport is fading acting like children...………. Give Michael Leib credit, he started his own gear line so you as a rider/racer and brand your gear to what you want. So now he wants to try something NEW. I don't understand the negative comments some of you never took chances in business I guess.
kkawboy14
12/4/2019 7:04am
I have a suggestion for Lieb, get 5 people per round to pay you $500 each to hang out with you all night!

I would be in for 1 of those!
Mr. Info
12/4/2019 7:18am
Michael is a good kid and has excelled where other riders haven’t and maybe his choice is not to be on a team I don’t know.
But racing is not cheap we all know that but what he is looking for is help from a very small group on Vital not the majority.
But success is based on where you end up not where you start. I think getting through each round shows where his market place is on the investment. I think the first round is where it becomes the best place to put future value on his business plan.
This is just my opinion and believe me I am no business man. He’s a good kid with talent and I wish him luck.
roninho
12/4/2019 7:53am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2019 7:56am
UpTiTe wrote:
I’m all in on this idea, but the majority of you are high if you think a small shop or business is going to recoup that...
I’m all in on this idea, but the majority of you are high if you think a small shop or business is going to recoup that amount of money.

It would need to be a guy with a big pile of money who loves supercross because he won’t get a return on that money.
I would suggest aiming for companies that have it in their one or three year plan to have a massive increase in brand awarenes or companies who are in a brand makeover. These companies tend to spend massive amounts on whatever ensures visibility with a certain story.

But for that imo Leib has to do more then what he offers. Basically do what Monster does at the GPs: Everybody who goes to a GP has seen Monster logos, but also actively realised that there was Monster advertising and very likely actually tasted the product as well.

Leib can offer this but needs to do a lot more than what he is currently offering.
I'm thinking adding own content & reach to his proposal. Team up with an online mx mag and ensure that in the week leading to the SX every day there is a nice edit online. It can be team fried like, or simply very nice edits of him riding or whatever, but mainly: Make sure that people see the sponsors logo.
Then offer way more visibility at the SX. Maybe something like setting up a stage with 2 3d MX simulators.
Think:

;-)
ok something more up to todays standards that he can easily put in the sponsors colors and have fans race each other on the stage.
etc. etc.

If you can ensure that the 50.000 people at the SX actively realise that Lieb is sponsored by company xyz, and during the week before and after the event your edits are being seen 100k each (so 1-2 mio views), you also offer some vip arrangements during the SX and have the upside of Lieb and the sponsor being mentioned on the tv broadcast then yes i can imagine this can be very interesting for a company that is spending 2 mio+ a year on getting brand awareness.

RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
12/4/2019 10:29am
RandyS wrote:
This could work with a local company at their local SX. The only real ROI would be in the ego or company morale department. If they...
This could work with a local company at their local SX. The only real ROI would be in the ego or company morale department. If they own a business that deals direct with consumers they may get an extra customer or three. But I guarantee there are enough SX fans with egos and wallets large enough to sell this out at all rounds. I think there needs to be some employee perks as part of it in the form of possibly pit shirts and F&F passes. With that I know 2 or 3 people in my area that I could see doing it at that price.
Seems like it could be a fun investment for local companies.

Maybe some construction company in Dallas buys a sponsorship for one round, with Leib decked out in the company's logos. The company also buys 100 tickets to the event, and invites his employees, customers, vendors, etc. Then there's 100 people there all rooting for the "Smith Construction" racer. That would be a fun night. But would it be worth the $15k plus tickets? Don't know.
zippytech
12/4/2019 11:38am
I have never heard of the guy before, So he at least will have me looking to see who he gets come round one.
DL
12/6/2019 1:38pm
Letting you all know the latest........ Michael has two rounds sold and working on more. We really appreciate the constructive comments a lot of you made. Please feel free to reach out to Michael or myself with questions or suggestions you have. Thanks! Michael's cell 909 499-7424 email mxleib@gmail.com
Tumblin
12/6/2019 1:43pm
Pushing the game forward, Michael may be the next generation's Troy Lee or Mitch Payton...love it - live it!
Congrats to you both!!
12/6/2019 4:00pm
This is awesome! One question. Will the bike graphics be totally different every round or just a name change? I mean if the customer got to pick and chose colors and such that’s even more of a reason to pay up for this.
DL
12/6/2019 4:07pm
This is awesome! One question. Will the bike graphics be totally different every round or just a name change? I mean if the customer got to...
This is awesome! One question. Will the bike graphics be totally different every round or just a name change? I mean if the customer got to pick and chose colors and such that’s even more of a reason to pay up for this.
Yes! The race jersey, pant and pit shirts are 100% unique from race to race. I’d say the only limitation is the few weeks needed to get everything produced so there will be a cut off time for art work to be approved. In addition the sponsor will get a jersey, pant and pit shirt to take home.
mxb2
12/6/2019 4:28pm
This is awesome! One question. Will the bike graphics be totally different every round or just a name change? I mean if the customer got to...
DL wrote:
Yes! The race jersey, pant and pit shirts are 100% unique from race to race. I’d say the only limitation is the few weeks needed to...
Yes! The race jersey, pant and pit shirts are 100% unique from race to race. I’d say the only limitation is the few weeks needed to get everything produced so there will be a cut off time for art work to be approved. In addition the sponsor will get a jersey, pant and pit shirt to take home.
Sorry if i missed a post,. What happens to sponsor $$ from the round , if he doesnt qualify?
Tonynz
12/6/2019 4:31pm
DL wrote:
Letting you all know the latest........ Michael has two rounds sold and working on more. We really appreciate the constructive comments a lot of you made...
Letting you all know the latest........ Michael has two rounds sold and working on more. We really appreciate the constructive comments a lot of you made. Please feel free to reach out to Michael or myself with questions or suggestions you have. Thanks! Michael's cell 909 499-7424 email mxleib@gmail.com
Great News.
APLMAN99
12/7/2019 3:58pm
DL wrote:
Yes! The race jersey, pant and pit shirts are 100% unique from race to race. I’d say the only limitation is the few weeks needed to...
mxb2 wrote:
Sorry if i missed a post,. What happens to sponsor $$ from the round , if he doesnt qualify?
What happens to any sponsor's money if a rider doesn't qualify?

Are you seriously asking this question?
Racerman967
12/7/2019 4:17pm
I think this is a great concept, But I had a similar arrangement with a privateer who makes a similar number of mains and actuall won an LCQ last season and I could get the entire bike logo'd(shrouds, fork guards and swingarm plus the jersey for 3k.

I think the concept is viable, and I wish him success. But you will start getting other riders in his position offereing the same thing for less money. I think JGR should have gone/go this route

Post a reply to: Per Round SX Sponsorship Opportunity

The Latest