Personality vs. results

kburgie
2/13/2018 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 5:51pm
Wondering after reading this:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/13/news/companies/chloe-kim-endorsements-s…

How much money is personality worth in motocross? Can a more personable rider make more money than a boring one with better results?

Does 722 make more than other triple digit guys?

What about at the top? Did Stewart make more money than Dungey? Or did we just hear less about Dungey's dollars?
|
Forty
2/13/2018 1:23pm
Personality goes a long ways.
TXDirt
2/13/2018 1:30pm
At the top of the sports world winning trumps personality.

As you get further down the results sheet, personality can help make you some extra money and keep you somewhat relevant, that your results are not doing for you.

If you are a winner and you have personality, well then you are a unicorn!!
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
2/13/2018 1:33pm
I'm pretty sure a guy like Roczen makes considerably more money than a guy like Tomac, even if their results were exactly equal.
Doesn't mean Roczens personality is "better" though...

The Shop

WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
2/13/2018 1:53pm
crusty_xx wrote:
I'm pretty sure a guy like Roczen makes considerably more money than a guy like Tomac, even if their results were exactly equal. Doesn't mean Roczens...
I'm pretty sure a guy like Roczen makes considerably more money than a guy like Tomac, even if their results were exactly equal.
Clearly, Tomac has absolutely nothing to fuck social networks or to be famous because he is ultra shy.

I like that, it's not like the german who doesn't miss an opportunity to show his mouth.
2/13/2018 2:02pm
kburgie wrote:
Wondering after reading this: http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/13/news/companies/chloe-kim-endorsements-snowboarder-olympics-pyeongchang/index.html How much money is personality worth in motocross? Can a more personable rider make more money than a boring one with...
Wondering after reading this:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/13/news/companies/chloe-kim-endorsements-s…

How much money is personality worth in motocross? Can a more personable rider make more money than a boring one with better results?

Does 722 make more than other triple digit guys?

What about at the top? Did Stewart make more money than Dungey? Or did we just hear less about Dungey's dollars?
Personality/Charisma/Marketability is more valuable than Talent.

All day, every day, except on Sundays.

Every once in awhile you get a guy like McGrath or Rossi that have both is spades. But make no mistake, as talented as Rossi is, he had the charisma before the resume. And it was that charisma that got him all the support early on. The powers-that-be had every reason to help him succeed and it's paid off huge.

Kevin Windham won how many championships? But I'll tell you what, I'll put his career earnings up against anyone from the same era. He did VERY well because he was marketable.

If talent was more valuable than marketability, we'd see very different guys getting the factory rides in F1, MotoGP, or even SX/MX.

Just look at how hard the road has been for Weston Peick. Anyone with 2 eyes knew he was capable of what he's doing now. Yet look how long it took for him to get proper support. Motorsports are not a meritocracy, never have / never will.
2/13/2018 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 2:15pm
No one gives a shit about your personality until you win a gold medal.
TXDirt
2/13/2018 2:28pm
Personality/Charisma/Marketability is more valuable than Talent. All day, every day, except on Sundays. Every once in awhile you get a guy like McGrath or Rossi that...

Every once in awhile you get a guy like McGrath or Rossi that have both is spades. But make no mistake, as talented as Rossi is, he had the charisma before the resume. And it was that charisma that got him all the support early on. The powers-that-be had every reason to help him succeed and it's paid off huge.

Kevin Windham won how many championships? But I'll tell you what, I'll put his career earnings up against anyone from the same era. He did VERY well because he was marketable.

If talent was more valuable than marketability, we'd see very different guys getting the factory rides in F1, MotoGP, or even SX/MX.

Just look at how hard the road has been for Weston Peick. Anyone with 2 eyes knew he was capable of what he's doing now. Yet look how long it took for him to get proper support. Motorsports are not a meritocracy, never have / never will.
This make no sense on the Peick example you gave. His results have steadily improved over the years. He went to barely making mains to now almost being a podium contender. He did not have that 5 years ago. He has worked to get better.

So I'm not really seeing what you mean when you say "Anyone with 2 eyes knew he was capable of what he's doing now."

ummm. no.

We all watched him struggle to make mains. What we have seen is his steady progression over the last 5 years and that's been awesome to watch.
davistld01
2/13/2018 2:29pm
crusty_xx wrote:
I'm pretty sure a guy like Roczen makes considerably more money than a guy like Tomac, even if their results were exactly equal. Doesn't mean Roczens...
WCRider wrote:
Clearly, Tomac has absolutely nothing to fuck social networks or to be famous because he is ultra shy. I like that, it's not like the german...
Clearly, Tomac has absolutely nothing to fuck social networks or to be famous because he is ultra shy.

I like that, it's not like the german who doesn't miss an opportunity to show his mouth.
Ok, man...I think it's pretty clear that you dislike Roczen. You don't have to take EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY to bash him around here. We get it!
Lucifa.
2/13/2018 2:33pm
crusty_xx wrote:
WCRider wrote:
Clearly, Tomac has absolutely nothing to fuck social networks or to be famous because he is ultra shy. I like that, it's not like the german...

davistld01 wrote:
Ok, man...I think it's pretty clear that you dislike Roczen. You don't have to take EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY to bash him around here. We get it!
I'm amazed he could spit all that out with his mouth so full of Tomac!
Ebs
2/13/2018 3:10pm
In the world of youtube millionaires, social media everything, and reality show celebrities, personality seems to go a long way.

Pretty much the only reason professional racing exists is for marketing purposes. If a company can see you are marketable (have a following) that means you potentially have value to them.

It's all about follower numbers bro.
Sully
2/13/2018 3:21pm
Forty wrote:
Personality goes a long ways.
Just ask Nick Wey.
2/13/2018 3:24pm
Personality/Charisma/Marketability is more valuable than Talent. All day, every day, except on Sundays. Every once in awhile you get a guy like McGrath or Rossi that...

TXDirt wrote:
This make no sense on the Peick example you gave. His results have steadily improved over the years. He went to barely making mains to now...
This make no sense on the Peick example you gave. His results have steadily improved over the years. He went to barely making mains to now almost being a podium contender. He did not have that 5 years ago. He has worked to get better.

So I'm not really seeing what you mean when you say "Anyone with 2 eyes knew he was capable of what he's doing now."

ummm. no.

We all watched him struggle to make mains. What we have seen is his steady progression over the last 5 years and that's been awesome to watch.
His results came as the support has came. My contention is that he’s always been this good. It took forever for him to get the support.

Kinda like Danilo Petrucci in MotoGP. He’s worked his way up just like Peick. It’s pretty obvious tho that he’s always had the talent. He didnt come from a rich family nor from a premier feeder series.

He will never get the support or push that Jorge Lorenzo gets. Because JLo is Spanish and has huge backing. But all things equal, you could easily argue Petrucci is a better racer/more talent.
plowboy
2/13/2018 4:31pm
That Travis Pastrami fella made a few bucks off personality.
vetmxr
2/13/2018 4:38pm
plowboy wrote:
And doing jaw dropping stuff on a cycle.
plowboy
2/13/2018 5:18pm
plowboy wrote:
vetmxr wrote:
And doing jaw dropping stuff on a cycle.
Lol, yes he did/does....but so do lots of people but they don't have his verve. He wins the "most likable/popular vote by miles.
PFitzG38
2/13/2018 5:35pm
TXDirt wrote:
This make no sense on the Peick example you gave. His results have steadily improved over the years. He went to barely making mains to now...

ummm. no.

What he means is it was obvious Weston had the speed a long time before he got his JGR ride. It's just that he has a somewhat gruff personality that "may" be construed as less marketable and consequently it took him longer than it should have to get off the island
2/13/2018 5:37pm
Ronnie Mac's definitely more famous and probably better paid than other riders with his talent. He's probably the only rider of this talent able to go for a "staged showdown" with the goat.

Also personality-wise, what's not to like about Dean Wilson. He's got a ton of fans, even not being up there on the podium

Katoomey
2/13/2018 5:46pm
plowboy wrote:
that's the first guy I thought of.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
2/13/2018 5:51pm
crusty_xx wrote:
WCRider wrote:

I prefer showing my mouth to having nothing to fuck
Wait what?
TXDirt
2/13/2018 6:05pm

TXDirt wrote:

ummm. no.

His results came as the support has came. My contention is that he’s always been this good. It took forever for him to get the support...
His results came as the support has came. My contention is that he’s always been this good. It took forever for him to get the support.

Kinda like Danilo Petrucci in MotoGP. He’s worked his way up just like Peick. It’s pretty obvious tho that he’s always had the talent. He didnt come from a rich family nor from a premier feeder series.

He will never get the support or push that Jorge Lorenzo gets. Because JLo is Spanish and has huge backing. But all things equal, you could easily argue Petrucci is a better racer/more talent.
You have that backwards. The support came as the results came. If it were the other way around then you could put any barely making main rider on JGR and he would start being a top then rider? No.

I’ll grant you that the potential was there. Just took awhile for it to grow... as it started to grow he stared moving up the ladder with more and more support.
TXDirt
2/13/2018 6:07pm
TXDirt wrote:

ummm. no.

PFitzG38 wrote:
What he means is it was obvious Weston had the speed a long time before he got his JGR ride. It's just that he has a...
What he means is it was obvious Weston had the speed a long time before he got his JGR ride. It's just that he has a somewhat gruff personality that "may" be construed as less marketable and consequently it took him longer than it should have to get off the island
Maybe. I don’t agree but maybe I guess.

Look at Jimmy Garapalo. Just signed the biggest contract in NFL history. Not because of his personality...
2/13/2018 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 6:18pm
TXDirt wrote:

ummm. no.

PFitzG38 wrote:
What he means is it was obvious Weston had the speed a long time before he got his JGR ride. It's just that he has a...
TXDirt wrote:

Look at Jimmy Garapalo. Just signed the biggest contract in NFL history. Not because of his personality...
Please don’t bring the NFL QB position into this discussion. There is no easier evidence to find of marketability taking precedence over ability than when it comes to the NFL and QBs.

If you don’t think Jimmy G’s skin color, good looks, and disposition with the media played a HUGE part in why he got PAID, you’re in serious denial.

NFL teams want tall, good looking, media friendly, white QBs. If they can actually play, isn’t a huge factor until that QB has gotten a few coaches fired and that QB’s jersey aint selling anymore.

Plenty of good white QBs struggled to get opportunities simply because they were too short, didnt have a face that could sell jerseys, or werent a high draft pick: Doug Flutie / Rich Gannon

That’s why Tyrod Taylor is constantly playing for his job and a guy like Ryan Tannehill is annointed a “franchise QB”.

Some guys are gonna get more chances than others. And it has everything to do with marketability. Be it MX or Football.
Motoxdoc
2/13/2018 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 6:37pm
As a fan I'll take personality over results all day long. Now I'm not talking 1st vs 20th....but I'm much more of a fan of someone getting consistent top 10's with a warm, nice, outgoing personality (i.e. Dowd, Henry, Cooper, Pastrana) than I am of the guy who consistently wins with a cold, mean, don't-talk-to-me personality. Obviously I'm an old guy with those examples. Alright you can throw Canard, Brayton and Musquin in that nice guy personality category. Shit...Musquin was the 1st guy to congratulate El Hombre on his win last week after he cleaned him out the week before. That's personality AND character! There seems to be a few new guys with great personalities that I haven't got to know well yet. You have to at least be in the hunt....and for those who are, IMO personality > winability.
Katoomey
2/13/2018 6:44pm
TXDirt wrote:

that is pure semantics.

the postulate is this; "it is possible to make more money than someone who gets better results, if people like you"

this is your postulate (for your own stupid devices) "whoever gets paid the most, is the only example to consider" ...it's ridiculous.

2/13/2018 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 6:51pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
As a fan I'll take personality over results all day long. Now I'm not talking 1st vs 20th....but I'm much more of a fan of someone...
As a fan I'll take personality over results all day long. Now I'm not talking 1st vs 20th....but I'm much more of a fan of someone getting consistent top 10's with a warm, nice, outgoing personality (i.e. Dowd, Henry, Cooper, Pastrana) than I am of the guy who consistently wins with a cold, mean, don't-talk-to-me personality. Obviously I'm an old guy with those examples. Alright you can throw Canard, Brayton and Musquin in that nice guy personality category. Shit...Musquin was the 1st guy to congratulate El Hombre on his win last week after he cleaned him out the week before. That's personality AND character! There seems to be a few new guys with great personalities that I haven't got to know well yet. You have to at least be in the hunt....and for those who are, IMO personality > winability.
Canard, Brayton, and Musquin all have the charisma of a old sock.

Simply "being nice" doesnt sell product or draw in sponsors. Canard had a pretty good amateur career he parlayed into 250 success. Brayton is a guy that has had to work his ass off to get where he is. Musquin is another guy who has gotten where he is because of results. All 3 of those guys would make WAAAY more money if they were marketable.

KRoc is one of those guys that has a TON of marketability. It's allowed him a VERY long leash in this sport. They WANT him to win. Im no fan of the RCH shitshow, but KRoc was a nightmare when it came to suspension setup. You think they put up with all that crap just because of his raw talent on the bike? I dont think so. He's got the personality and looks that EVERYONE in the sport benefits from if he's winning races.

Why does JLaw still move the radar?
2/13/2018 7:59pm
I tend to endorse/follow/root for the personalities more than pure results...and sure as shit can not get into the bible thumpers-leave that shit at home, go race and thank your sponsors for getting you to the top.
TXDirt
2/14/2018 3:10am
TXDirt wrote:

Katoomey wrote:
that is pure semantics. the postulate is this; "it is possible to make more money than someone who gets better results, if people like you" this...
that is pure semantics.

the postulate is this; "it is possible to make more money than someone who gets better results, if people like you"

this is your postulate (for your own stupid devices) "whoever gets paid the most, is the only example to consider" ...it's ridiculous.

That’s what I said pretty much in my original post I thought?

At the top end results get you paid. As you move down the results, personality can help you make money when your results are not getting you paid.

So yeah results are not the only thing.
2/14/2018 3:27am
It's not much different than dating.....if you're not hot, you better have a really good personality!

Post a reply to: Personality vs. results

The Latest