Pirelli Dominates AMA Pro Motocross at Ironman National

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
9/3/2017 3:58am
I wouldn't think the same tire Herlings "dominated" on is the same tire Joe Blow can go buy...

I really don't understand this MX3s haters. Just about everyone I see bitching are riding on hardpacked and or rocky terrain... Newsflash, you need a different tire if you ride hard pack and are concerned about how many hours you get out of a tire...

I don't think every pro that rides dunlops do so because they get them for free. I have had one pro tell me he runs the 3s exclusively, no matter what conditions... I don't think he gets them for free, I could be wrong...
downard254
9/3/2017 4:06am
I ran Metzler tires in the mid 80's, nobody else did but for me the PerfectCross front hooked up in all conditions, and the MultiCross rear held an edge for a long time. Like someone said above, it's all personal preference. I have dunlops on my bike right now, but they are the older 952 and 752 tires. Not even sure what I would run now in the newer models.
BobPA
9/3/2017 4:14am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I wouldn't think the same tire Herlings "dominated" on is the same tire Joe Blow can go buy... I really don't understand this MX3s haters. Just...
I wouldn't think the same tire Herlings "dominated" on is the same tire Joe Blow can go buy...

I really don't understand this MX3s haters. Just about everyone I see bitching are riding on hardpacked and or rocky terrain... Newsflash, you need a different tire if you ride hard pack and are concerned about how many hours you get out of a tire...

I don't think every pro that rides dunlops do so because they get them for free. I have had one pro tell me he runs the 3s exclusively, no matter what conditions... I don't think he gets them for free, I could be wrong...
I ride a big mix of terrain.....but very little hard pack. They just do not hold up as well as other brands. I am far from the only one with this opinion.

I believe if you qualify at any National, or make the night show in SX Dunlop helps you out.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
9/3/2017 4:21am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I wouldn't think the same tire Herlings "dominated" on is the same tire Joe Blow can go buy... I really don't understand this MX3s haters. Just...

BobPA wrote:
I ride a big mix of terrain.....but very little hard pack. They just do not hold up as well as other brands. I am far from...
I ride a big mix of terrain.....but very little hard pack. They just do not hold up as well as other brands. I am far from the only one with this opinion.

I believe if you qualify at any National, or make the night show in SX Dunlop helps you out.
I agree they may not hold up as long. My mechanic is a gncc rider. He calls them one and done tires. I think the performance out weighs the lack of longevity.

I keep our track tilled deep. When we have lots of bikes over and they all ride the same line they can get down to blue grove in a few sections I have made clay based. When I see that blue groove I have noticed we start chunking front knobs. It helped going from 12 to 13.5 psi in the front....

The Shop

kkawboy14
9/3/2017 4:32am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 4:46am
I can't tell much difference in tires other than Bridgestone seems to last longer. The only difference I can tell is if I'm riding a hard pack tire on a sand track. All the different brands of sand tires feel good in the sand to me. All the hard pack tires feel good on the hard pack.
tempura
9/3/2017 4:33am
I do like the mx3s front, but unlikely I'll buy anymore dunlops since using the Starcross 5's. I don't want to be buying tires every other week.
twotwosix
9/3/2017 6:57am
tempura wrote:
I do like the mx3s front, but unlikely I'll buy anymore dunlops since using the Starcross 5's. I don't want to be buying tires every other...
I do like the mx3s front, but unlikely I'll buy anymore dunlops since using the Starcross 5's. I don't want to be buying tires every other week.
I don't blame you! Unless you are racing, most folks would gladly trade some performance for longevity.
Giygas
Fantasy
1165th
9/3/2017 9:15am
BobPA wrote:
My 2017 KTM 450 came with them, I had them on my previous 350. They are good when they are new, but what descent tires aren't...
My 2017 KTM 450 came with them, I had them on my previous 350. They are good when they are new, but what descent tires aren't? They wear quickly, and the front outer knobs chunk off in record time. I have two other friends with new KTM's and they hate their Dunlops more than me. 15 hours on my front and all the knobs were ripped off. For a premium tire with a premium price, there are much better options out there. No one that I ride with will buy Dunlops....The dudes who pay for their tires run Michelins, Pirellis, Kendas, or Shinkos (woods guys).

Try the Starcross 5, and you will see how a good tire performs and wears.
Why aren't you racing with the pros on Saturdays then? I have never ever had a knob tear off in 15 hours. Either you are lying or you are the fastest rider ever.
7eleven
9/3/2017 9:35am

Has anyone come across the new Metzelers yet? MC360 mid-hard and mid-soft options. (Mid-hard pictured)
Turbojez
9/3/2017 10:08am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 10:08am
Jeffrey would like to thank all his sponsors, since they all deserve credit for the win last week. He couldn't have done it without them. I'm...
Jeffrey would like to thank all his sponsors, since they all deserve credit for the win last week. He couldn't have done it without them.

I'm still trying to find out whose sprocket bolts he is running?

http://www.jeffreyherlings.eu/en/sponsors/

Not sure what brand of sprocket bolts he used but I'm quite sure it was Pelly who torqued them..
BobPA
9/3/2017 10:45am
Giygas wrote:
Why aren't you racing with the pros on Saturdays then? I have never ever had a knob tear off in 15 hours. Either you are lying...
Why aren't you racing with the pros on Saturdays then? I have never ever had a knob tear off in 15 hours. Either you are lying or you are the fastest rider ever.

Berni
9/3/2017 10:59am
7eleven wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/03/212671/s1200_IMG_1129.jpg[/img] Has anyone come across the new Metzelers yet? MC360 mid-hard and mid-soft options. (Mid-hard pictured)

Has anyone come across the new Metzelers yet? MC360 mid-hard and mid-soft options. (Mid-hard pictured)
I ride off road and really wanted to try them.... But only reference I get is a friend that had one ride with them and threw them to the trash....I am not saying that they are no good, just he feels they do not work were we ride ( we here what works are Star-Cross medium, pirelli MX extra, or fim tires). He feels they are more suited for desert riding or more of a trail riding tires
twotwosix
9/3/2017 11:34am
Giygas wrote:
Why aren't you racing with the pros on Saturdays then? I have never ever had a knob tear off in 15 hours. Either you are lying...
An MX3S will shear knobs inside of 15 hours. Even at 13 psi. It's a phenomenal front tire, but when it starts to go, it goes quick.
TeamGreen
9/3/2017 12:12pm
7eleven wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/03/212671/s1200_IMG_1129.jpg[/img] Has anyone come across the new Metzelers yet? MC360 mid-hard and mid-soft options. (Mid-hard pictured)

Look closely...

I've been running them on a few bikes and I'm VERY impressed. They last and they hook up. I used the Honda to test'em back in April at Milestone and now I run'em on my track bike that goes everywhere from Pala to the Shasta National Forest.
Excellent tires.
nytsmaC
9/3/2017 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 3:14pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:

BobPA wrote:
I ride a big mix of terrain.....but very little hard pack. They just do not hold up as well as other brands. I am far from...

Hey Bob, just curious how many hours do you expect to get out of a set of tires? The only tires I seem to really like seem to only be good for 10-15 hours before they're toast, with the M404 rear being the exception, they wear really well but don't work as great as others in softer/looser conditions. I've had a couple of Pirelli MX32 rear only go 6 hours before all of the side knobs were tearing off, which I find unacceptable. Mind you this was using a 110/85-19 on a 250 2-stroke and maybe running air pressure a little low at 13.5, which apparently it wasn't designed for. I've since switched to 110/90-19 and run 14.5-15, hoping it doesn't keep happening. I expect to get twice those hours on a tire.

I need to try these new Michelins, or Metzelers. I've accepted that good tires won't last, but would love to be proven wrong.
Jrewing
9/3/2017 4:23pm
Star cross 5 soft rear tear knobs off if the track has hard sections. Tore the knobs off half way up the knob itself pretty much the whole way round. In about 5 hrs- still rode for another 5 hours on it..
Possibly could have the chain slapping against it under decel??
BobPA
9/3/2017 5:59pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Hey Bob, just curious how many hours do you expect to get out of a set of tires? The only tires I seem to really like...
Hey Bob, just curious how many hours do you expect to get out of a set of tires? The only tires I seem to really like seem to only be good for 10-15 hours before they're toast, with the M404 rear being the exception, they wear really well but don't work as great as others in softer/looser conditions. I've had a couple of Pirelli MX32 rear only go 6 hours before all of the side knobs were tearing off, which I find unacceptable. Mind you this was using a 110/85-19 on a 250 2-stroke and maybe running air pressure a little low at 13.5, which apparently it wasn't designed for. I've since switched to 110/90-19 and run 14.5-15, hoping it doesn't keep happening. I expect to get twice those hours on a tire.

I need to try these new Michelins, or Metzelers. I've accepted that good tires won't last, but would love to be proven wrong.
I do not expect mush out of rears. But the fronts should last more that 15, if you see in the picture I posted the knobs are still pretty sharp.

Post a reply to: Pirelli Dominates AMA Pro Motocross at Ironman National

The Latest