Pit lane info, Randy Mamola style!

Around 10-15 years ago, MOTO GP had Randy Mamola in pit lane, so when anything happened he would run down to that pit garage and get up to the minute info about what had gone on with riders and/or their bikes. Backed up in the commentary box by a guy (I forget his name) who had in depth knowledge of electrical systems and motorcycle engineering along with 'inside' info of what teams were trying and using.

Today at Matterly I was baffled how HRC could have two rear suspension failures in two races! WTF?!
You won't see another rear sussy failure for ten years!

I'd have loved it if Randy was on hand to run down there, jump on the ground and fill us in on what was broken!

Motocross is missing out on this!
|
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
10/1/2017 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2017 1:17pm
That is an excellent idea... Speaking of Mamola, check out this save from 1985
AK74
10/1/2017 2:53pm
Around 10-15 years ago, MOTO GP had Randy Mamola in pit lane, so when anything happened he would run down to that pit garage and get...
Around 10-15 years ago, MOTO GP had Randy Mamola in pit lane, so when anything happened he would run down to that pit garage and get up to the minute info about what had gone on with riders and/or their bikes. Backed up in the commentary box by a guy (I forget his name) who had in depth knowledge of electrical systems and motorcycle engineering along with 'inside' info of what teams were trying and using.

Today at Matterly I was baffled how HRC could have two rear suspension failures in two races! WTF?!
You won't see another rear sussy failure for ten years!

I'd have loved it if Randy was on hand to run down there, jump on the ground and fill us in on what was broken!

Motocross is missing out on this!
That was back when Eurosport had the rights to show MotoGP. Neil Spalding was the technical expert who was often in the commentary booth with Toby Moody and Julian Ryder.

YS could always ask Lisa Leyland to do it and report back to Maler if/when something happened. It would definitely be a step-up in responsibility on the frankly inane questions she asks prior to each moto.
flymoto
10/2/2017 11:41am
Spalders was great. The knowledge and technical info he had was ridiculous. I actually think this is a really good idea.

Malin is a good commentator, I like him but do feel he needs someone else to bounce off as it must be a really difficult job on your own. I think Lisa would cope well, not exactly asking her to rebuild the shock, just a little more incite would be nice.

The commentators at the mxon trackside yesterday left much to be desired, I think all I heard was “launches off the jump” and “the crowd goes wild” I think they work better at more fun races like arena cross

The Shop

philG
10/2/2017 1:09pm
flymoto wrote:
Spalders was great. The knowledge and technical info he had was ridiculous. I actually think this is a really good idea. Malin is a good commentator...
Spalders was great. The knowledge and technical info he had was ridiculous. I actually think this is a really good idea.

Malin is a good commentator, I like him but do feel he needs someone else to bounce off as it must be a really difficult job on your own. I think Lisa would cope well, not exactly asking her to rebuild the shock, just a little more incite would be nice.

The commentators at the mxon trackside yesterday left much to be desired, I think all I heard was “launches off the jump” and “the crowd goes wild” I think they work better at more fun races like arena cross
Yeah, thankfully Jeff Perrett was superb, and luckily , the crowd was actually going wild for once, but it does get old, quite quick, not an easy job, but it wasnt brilliant... also the PA sucked at the Presentation , and apparently in pit lane and the Skybox you couldnt hear it at all.

Still a great weekend, loved the hush at each start, reminded me of the legend that was Nik Fisk doing is at a rammed Foxhills, nice moment to think about him too.
flymoto
10/3/2017 1:52pm
flymoto wrote:
Spalders was great. The knowledge and technical info he had was ridiculous. I actually think this is a really good idea. Malin is a good commentator...

philG wrote:
Yeah, thankfully Jeff Perrett was superb, and luckily , the crowd was actually going wild for once, but it does get old, quite quick, not an...
Yeah, thankfully Jeff Perrett was superb, and luckily , the crowd was actually going wild for once, but it does get old, quite quick, not an easy job, but it wasnt brilliant... also the PA sucked at the Presentation , and apparently in pit lane and the Skybox you couldnt hear it at all.

Still a great weekend, loved the hush at each start, reminded me of the legend that was Nik Fisk doing is at a rammed Foxhills, nice moment to think about him too.
Ok I take my word back. Just watched the races back on Eurosport. Wow, the 2 commentators on there were even worse. I don’t think I heard them say anyone’s name right! I think he even called it botley basin at one point aswel!! It is a joke, how can tbe worlds biggest Mx event be fronted by some jokers who don’t have a clue. They seriously killed the show, good job dudes.
flymoto
10/3/2017 1:54pm
I agree about the silence just before the start, it was a nice touch and built it up well for the drop. Apart from when we was stood about 10 foot from the guy with the cruise ship horn when he blew it just after silence was called Laughing

Post a reply to: Pit lane info, Randy Mamola style!

The Latest