Positives from limegate

bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
2/13/2019 2:12pm
As much fun as I had with the memes from #limegate I also think that the positives far outweigh the negatives. By the sound of it from the various pods that I have listened and research that I have done it seems that nothing but good can come from this insident.

Could you imagine the progression of this sport if everyone was on the same page working together. In my opinion it make zero sense for feld to not want to be “best buddies” with the riders and vice versa. The two parties working together would be great.

Thoughts
|
peltier626
2/13/2019 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 3:32pm
Insider info needed, ML, JT, DV12, Guy B. From the outside in it seems like there is to much disparity between the factory riders and a 20th place guy. Start with a salary from feld, until the manufactures and promoters support and collaborate with everyone this will continue. What does it take to compete in one round of sx minus the bike (hotel, travel, food, registration, fuel, mechanic, etc) $2k. 20th place in the main should be able to pocket at least $600-700 a week after all these expenses are paid for with his payout only, not sponsership. Maybe I'm way off. IDK What is a reasonable amount of $$$ for 20th in the main?
2/13/2019 4:54pm
peltier626 wrote:
Insider info needed, ML, JT, DV12, Guy B. From the outside in it seems like there is to much disparity between the factory riders and a...
Insider info needed, ML, JT, DV12, Guy B. From the outside in it seems like there is to much disparity between the factory riders and a 20th place guy. Start with a salary from feld, until the manufactures and promoters support and collaborate with everyone this will continue. What does it take to compete in one round of sx minus the bike (hotel, travel, food, registration, fuel, mechanic, etc) $2k. 20th place in the main should be able to pocket at least $600-700 a week after all these expenses are paid for with his payout only, not sponsership. Maybe I'm way off. IDK What is a reasonable amount of $$$ for 20th in the main?
50/50 profit share between promotor and athletes. That's what is fair.
suzrider982
2/13/2019 4:57pm
There’s a great podcast on racerx from a meeting the media had with Feld. Well worth the listen
p0wn
2/13/2019 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 5:54pm
The privateers need to organize and start a union. Until every single privateer boycotts an event Feld isn't going to do anything for them. Obviously the factory and satellite factory teams are contractually obliged to show up and race from their sponsors so you'll still have a gate of 10 or so riders but there would be no qualifying heats etc.

The fact that feld doesn't pay the professional athletes(enough to break even for the night) that compete for them in their nationally televised event with 40,000 paying fans in the stadium is appalling. All athletes should get some base insurance as well. The sport is too damn dangerous.

How much is Feld making per event?
The average ticket price looks to be around $70(http://www.excite.com/events/sports-tickets/Monster-Energy-Ama-Supercro…) with average attendance at 45000 (https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/05/12/Leagues-and…)

That would be an average gate of 3.15 million. 3 fucking million bucks for one race! A1's total payout for 450 riders was ~85k. The 250 guys get less but I couldn't find a number(2017 was 25k for 250 total payout).

Plus all the sponsors on those shitty ass tuff blocks that fuck everyone up(another topic for another day but damn do we not have the technology to prevent getting a big ass garbage bag stuck in your pegs or sprocket). Plus the title sponsor(Monster energy) and all the spider cam sponsors, the kawasaki science of supercross, the toyota make up to mud, the ktm little kids race etc. On top of all that they've got a tv deal + the nbc sports gold(I paid $80 for a season of supercross). They are squeezing a shit load of money out of each race.

I know it costs a lot for production(track builders, storing the dirt, renting the stadium, cameras, commentators, etc) but the purse payouts have nearly 0 effect on the bottom line for event profitability. That's disgusting. Step up Feld.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/13/2019 6:06pm
p0wn wrote:
The privateers need to organize and start a union. Until every single privateer boycotts an event Feld isn't going to do anything for them. Obviously the...
The privateers need to organize and start a union. Until every single privateer boycotts an event Feld isn't going to do anything for them. Obviously the factory and satellite factory teams are contractually obliged to show up and race from their sponsors so you'll still have a gate of 10 or so riders but there would be no qualifying heats etc.

The fact that feld doesn't pay the professional athletes(enough to break even for the night) that compete for them in their nationally televised event with 40,000 paying fans in the stadium is appalling. All athletes should get some base insurance as well. The sport is too damn dangerous.

The average ticket price looks to be around $70(http://www.excite.com/events/sports-tickets/Monster-Energy-Ama-Supercro…) with average attendance at 45000 (https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/05/12/Leagues-and…)

That would be an average gate of 3.15 million. 3 fucking million bucks for one race! A1's total payout for 450 riders was ~85k. The 250 guys get less but I couldn't find a number(2017 was 25k for 250 total payout).

Plus all the sponsors on those shitty ass tuff blocks that fuck everyone up(another topic for another day but damn do we not have the technology to prevent getting a big ass garbage bag stuck in your pegs or sprocket). Plus the title sponsor(Monster energy) and all the spider cam sponsors, the kawasaki science of supercross, the toyota make up to mud, the ktm little kids race etc. On top of all that they've got a tv deal + the nbc sports gold(I paid $80 for a season of supercross). They are squeezing a shit load of money out of each race.

I know it costs a lot for production(track builders, storing the dirt, renting the stadium, cameras, commentators, etc) but the purse payouts have nearly 0 effect on the bottom line for event profitability. That's disgusting. Step up Feld.
Figuring out the income is the easier part. Let's see what you come up with for an expense sheet.
peltier626
2/13/2019 6:20pm
GuyB wrote:
Figuring out the income is the easier part. Let's see what you come up with for an expense sheet.
Help us understand the numbers, Do you have any info you can share?
2/13/2019 6:25pm
Sales of Silkolene's metal prep conditioner spray product have skyrocketed.
I'm sorry, was this supposed to be serious?
JustMX
2/13/2019 7:07pm
So, if weather causes an event to be a losing proposition, do the riders kick in to cover expenses?

Exactly how much profit is reasonable for an entity to make on an event?

JM485
2/13/2019 7:11pm
JustMX wrote:
So, if weather causes an event to be a losing proposition, do the riders kick in to cover expenses? Exactly how much profit is reasonable for...
So, if weather causes an event to be a losing proposition, do the riders kick in to cover expenses?

When a company has profit sharing or bonus program and has a bad year, do the employees give some of their paycheck back? I’ll help you, no they don’t.

Without seeing their finances it’s impossible to say, but when the owner of the company is a billionaire and some of the riders are living out of a van I think it’s pretty easy to see something isn’t exactly right with the current picture. There’s making money and then there’s greed, pretty easy to see which is happening here.

p0wn
2/13/2019 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 7:25pm
GuyB wrote:
They don't seem to be hurtin' for money GuyB.

You're in the industry so I'd expect you to have heard estimates. If they're making $4 million an event(some number I pulled out my ass - 3.1 mil for gate, ~1 mil for sponsors(more than $4 million a year from Monster - https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/06/25/monster-energy-supe… ), tv deal(the fox deal was around 4 million a year including monster jam), merch etc combined) then paying the riders double what they make now(240k total, last place 450 lcq rider gets $2040) is a ~2.5% increase in regards to what Feld nets per event.

The cost to produce an NFL game(from googling, multiple sites highest estimate here - ) came up with between 500k and 2m, and the cost to product a UFC event(minus fighter pay) is 1.5 million(https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/6/17944142/ufc-229-khabib-vs-mcgreg…) so my guess is that it would cost around the same to put on a supercross(for cameras, all that stuff). The biggest cost seems to be the dirt, storing and transporting it and building the track. If that somehow cost another 1 million or even hell 1.5 million(keep in mind they share the costs with Monster Jam) that makes a supercross ~3 million to produce. In this somewhat sorta fantasy land Feld takes home 1 million minus the PALTRY 120k they pay the riders so 880k per event in profit. With 17 events that's a little under 15 million for teh season - where as the last place 450 rider would take home 17 * $1020 = ~17 grand.

Privateers need to organize.
olds cool
2/13/2019 7:34pm
p0wn wrote:
The privateers need to organize and start a union. Until every single privateer boycotts an event Feld isn't going to do anything for them. Obviously the...

GuyB wrote:
Well, at least we know the lime expenditures are going waaaaay down, so there's that...

Sorry boss, couldn't resist. Silly
Taylor415
2/13/2019 8:06pm
p0wn wrote:

I'm a union worker, as I've stated in all these Riders union posts. A privateer union? Really? So who's going to run it? No one works for free, so what will dues look like? Unions aren't the fuckin' tree house club. How do you set wages for a privateer? Do you know what a union is? Geez. Only thing worse than these posts is a damn JS7 return post.
p0wn
2/13/2019 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 8:58pm
Taylor415 wrote:
I'm a union worker, as I've stated in all these Riders union posts. A privateer union? Really? So who's going to run it? No one works...
I'm a union worker, as I've stated in all these Riders union posts. A privateer union? Really? So who's going to run it? No one works for free, so what will dues look like? Unions aren't the fuckin' tree house club. How do you set wages for a privateer? Do you know what a union is? Geez. Only thing worse than these posts is a damn JS7 return post.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Players_Associat…

edit: Realistically I don't have any answers regarding how they would demand and get more money. I'm not an expert in that field and am not in the industry. It can happen though(maybe something similar to what bowers is doing with limegate). Feld/Supercross needs the privateers.
Jeff alessi
2/13/2019 9:23pm
I’ve said the number before. And everyone said I was crazy. Let me be clear, a past Supercross champion said Feld was making 25 million. Now that could have been the best race they ever did, or average over 17 races. I was quite a bit younger. I won’t question who said it in front of my eyes. feld is a billion dollar company so I believe every dollar I heard. I’m assuming that could be before profit but without this company sharing profit information we will never know. There’s strong rumors certain riders get paid start money too and considering races like bercy paid me 40k for 1 weekend of racing how could I not believe it.

Stop saying union, that scares these big companies and the smaller ones too. Let’s call it a riders organization, and let’s put it on the top of the important ‘lists of things to do immediately’ because if we don’t the kids you see turning that throttle to the lethal limit will be paying to race when they turn pro and are a top 10 racer. Some parents on here may not realize it’s going to be there pocket book writing the checks to watch there kid send it into the whoops ‘mookie speed’ one day!

Most of the racers, actually pretty much all of them are in a situation where if they open there mouth they will lose the opportunity to race Saturday nights. It’s a pretty outrageous and unhealthy situation our racers are in. To see the lcq in the 450 class this last weekend was pathetic, you could see just how many guys couldn’t make it to Minnesota. There was a ton of good guys missing. Aside from that there’s a lot of good guys in general who decided not to race this year in general. Why so many people choose to turn a blind eye is beyond me, the only thing I can think is that racers want other racers to be gone, 1 less guy there to race against when he’s gone but reality is your next. The riders think about right now and not the future, they don’t even think about how they are going to get to the next race because they just make it happen someway, they need that mentality to get everyone together and oraganize a more professional program that allows them to prosper. If the guy in 20th made the money he deserved he would probably take that money and buy some better forks to make himself a better racer, or a trainer to make him a better racer, or a consistent mechanic to make his season safer, or rebuild that engine on time so he doesn’t have to worry about his bike breaking on a Supercross track. These guys from 15th back don’t even race in the main so there equipment lasts another weekend. Just remember 5 years after Feld acquired Supercross they boasted on Forbes that they joined the billionaires club. Food for thought.
JustMX
2/13/2019 10:00pm
I’ve said the number before. And everyone said I was crazy. Let me be clear, a past Supercross champion said Feld was making 25 million. Now...
I’ve said the number before. And everyone said I was crazy. Let me be clear, a past Supercross champion said Feld was making 25 million. Now that could have been the best race they ever did, or average over 17 races. I was quite a bit younger. I won’t question who said it in front of my eyes. feld is a billion dollar company so I believe every dollar I heard. I’m assuming that could be before profit but without this company sharing profit information we will never know. There’s strong rumors certain riders get paid start money too and considering races like bercy paid me 40k for 1 weekend of racing how could I not believe it.

Stop saying union, that scares these big companies and the smaller ones too. Let’s call it a riders organization, and let’s put it on the top of the important ‘lists of things to do immediately’ because if we don’t the kids you see turning that throttle to the lethal limit will be paying to race when they turn pro and are a top 10 racer. Some parents on here may not realize it’s going to be there pocket book writing the checks to watch there kid send it into the whoops ‘mookie speed’ one day!

Most of the racers, actually pretty much all of them are in a situation where if they open there mouth they will lose the opportunity to race Saturday nights. It’s a pretty outrageous and unhealthy situation our racers are in. To see the lcq in the 450 class this last weekend was pathetic, you could see just how many guys couldn’t make it to Minnesota. There was a ton of good guys missing. Aside from that there’s a lot of good guys in general who decided not to race this year in general. Why so many people choose to turn a blind eye is beyond me, the only thing I can think is that racers want other racers to be gone, 1 less guy there to race against when he’s gone but reality is your next. The riders think about right now and not the future, they don’t even think about how they are going to get to the next race because they just make it happen someway, they need that mentality to get everyone together and oraganize a more professional program that allows them to prosper. If the guy in 20th made the money he deserved he would probably take that money and buy some better forks to make himself a better racer, or a trainer to make him a better racer, or a consistent mechanic to make his season safer, or rebuild that engine on time so he doesn’t have to worry about his bike breaking on a Supercross track. These guys from 15th back don’t even race in the main so there equipment lasts another weekend. Just remember 5 years after Feld acquired Supercross they boasted on Forbes that they joined the billionaires club. Food for thought.
25 million?

On one event?

Please............

Put up whatever numbers you want explaining how to get to that number

Jeff alessi
2/13/2019 10:11pm
I’ve said the number before. And everyone said I was crazy. Let me be clear, a past Supercross champion said Feld was making 25 million. Now...

JustMX wrote:
25 million?

On one event?

Please............

Put up whatever numbers you want explaining how to get to that number

Let me ask you where have you been? How far up in this industry have you been? Who’s been around you day in and day out that knows this sport and has succeeded at making those numbers in a dirtbike career?

Your essentially calling not only me a liar but one of the best racers in this sports history. Who are you? Do you have 15 years being at the very top of the sport seeing everything going on the fans don’t see? Or even most of the racers... until you can say you’ve seen 1/10th of a percent of what I’ve seen I think you should shut your mouth or tell us who you are so we can see if your mouth has any momentum to back up your doubts about what I’m saying. Out of everything in my post regarding the racers and the situation that’s going on and is most important, all you could say was that. Makes me think you don’t even know who I am let alone a dam thing going on in this sport. How about you debunk that and then we can all sleep better at night knowing Feld is paying the racers the best they can and looking out for them like we are important. I’ll be waiting.. vitard.
Jerkolantern
2/13/2019 10:36pm
Monster could be paying 25 million a race and they wouldn't even feel it. I don't know the numbers but I do know 25 million isn't a huge number anymore. Our deficit just hit 22 trillion, we print money without anything backing it up, what's money? Just paper kids. The big kids play on a field we're not privy to. Fiat economy . $22,000,000,000,000.00 that's twenty two trillion. If I'm not mistaken that's over 5 times our GROSS economy every year, so yeah, the big dogs can throw out 25,000,000 pretty easily , and I'll believe a former ama motocross pro before anyone else.
zehn
2/13/2019 10:44pm
Monster could be paying 25 million a race and they wouldn't even feel it. I don't know the numbers but I do know 25 million isn't...
Monster could be paying 25 million a race and they wouldn't even feel it. I don't know the numbers but I do know 25 million isn't a huge number anymore. Our deficit just hit 22 trillion, we print money without anything backing it up, what's money? Just paper kids. The big kids play on a field we're not privy to. Fiat economy . $22,000,000,000,000.00 that's twenty two trillion. If I'm not mistaken that's over 5 times our GROSS economy every year, so yeah, the big dogs can throw out 25,000,000 pretty easily , and I'll believe a former ama motocross pro before anyone else.
The US GDP last year was over $20 trillion.
JustMX
2/13/2019 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 10:52pm
Let me ask you where have you been? How far up in this industry have you been? Who’s been around you day in and day out...
Let me ask you where have you been? How far up in this industry have you been? Who’s been around you day in and day out that knows this sport and has succeeded at making those numbers in a dirtbike career?

Your essentially calling not only me a liar but one of the best racers in this sports history. Who are you? Do you have 15 years being at the very top of the sport seeing everything going on the fans don’t see? Or even most of the racers... until you can say you’ve seen 1/10th of a percent of what I’ve seen I think you should shut your mouth or tell us who you are so we can see if your mouth has any momentum to back up your doubts about what I’m saying. Out of everything in my post regarding the racers and the situation that’s going on and is most important, all you could say was that. Makes me think you don’t even know who I am let alone a dam thing going on in this sport. How about you debunk that and then we can all sleep better at night knowing Feld is paying the racers the best they can and looking out for them like we are important. I’ll be waiting.. vitard.
So you have spent 15 years at the top levels of the sport seeing everything going on the fans, and most of the riders don't see?

Great, use that wealth of inside information to explain how to get anywhere close to the 25 million dollar profit on even their best event.

Jerkolantern
2/13/2019 11:00pm
Monster could be paying 25 million a race and they wouldn't even feel it. I don't know the numbers but I do know 25 million isn't...
zehn wrote:
The US GDP last year was over $20 trillion.
Your right, my mustake-
2/13/2019 11:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 11:01pm
For as loud as tony Alessi was back in the day, youd think he’d be your Union President. I mean rider organization president. But hold on a second.....don’t we have an organization called the AMA? Don’t they take dues ? And who do they represent? I’m not sure anymore. Pro racing is small fish compared to the rest of the ama members. I don’t see riders making night show up to 20th place really ever making any money. They won’t ever get paid.

bercy cuttin a check for 40g’s to show up and race....there must be money available in this sport somewhere.

Now on the other side I know a guy that works for feld and says MJ is the cash cow and the dirtbikes is “the write-off losses” show..... how accurate that is who knows. Or it just means profits for MJ are like monstrous compared to supercross.
Jeff alessi
2/13/2019 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 12:25am
Let me ask you where have you been? How far up in this industry have you been? Who’s been around you day in and day out...

JustMX wrote:
So you have spent 15 years at the top levels of the sport seeing everything going on the fans, and most of the riders don't see...
So you have spent 15 years at the top levels of the sport seeing everything going on the fans, and most of the riders don't see?

Great, use that wealth of inside information to explain how to get anywhere close to the 25 million dollar profit on even their best event.

Ok, let’s take a collective approach and see how many valuable avenues Feld and the brand Supercross has? I can think of about 10 million dollars each race makes and that’s before the fans sit in the seats. You guys don’t have a clue, even monster jam brings Supercross millions being associates under one roof. The point here is there’s soo much more going on that the people in this sport don’t understand makes money. From the racers paying to race to the commercials on television and that package. Do you guys really think monster, fox sports nbc(.......) invest huge money into something soo small going on inside these huge stadiums that more then half of them have had Super Bowls played in? How about everyone puts there 2 cents in and tells ME (and the people who make up the industry) where the moneys coming from that made the company Feld a multi billion dollar industry (not only) associated with Supercross (but has made Supercross its cash cow and shut down all other companies including arenacross and it’s literal circus some of u may remember as Barnum and bailey!!) . I will update it. Let’s go....

(This comment was updated after the question below)
VVV
2/13/2019 11:10pm
I’m not understanding your last question......I want to, maybe reword it ?
2/13/2019 11:13pm
JustMX wrote:
So, if weather causes an event to be a losing proposition, do the riders kick in to cover expenses? Exactly how much profit is reasonable for...

And do the riders give 50% of their salary to Feld also?
Jeff alessi
2/14/2019 12:04am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 12:15am
I’m not understanding your last question......I want to, maybe reword it ?
You mean this last question? I’ll re-say it then re word it!

(Re-said)

How about everyone puts there 2 cents in and tells me where the moneys coming from that made the company Feld a multi billion dollar industry associated with Supercross. Let’s go....

REWORDED!!!

How about everyone puts there 2 cents in and tells THE RACERS where the money is coming from that Feld DOESN’T make public that made the company worth multiple billions of dollars and made the Supercross industry there number 1 profitable company that they own!!

Is that better??
2/14/2019 1:48am
How do you know Supercross is their number 1 profitable company? I don’t know the costs and revenues, but combining SX and Monster Jam on back to back weekends provides savings through economies of scale. I do believe that the riders should receive a larger cut of the revenues. As the sport is now, its is not sustainable for the privateers without outside sponsors. Christ, you are not going to increase the payout, at least let the riders sell customized gear and t-shirts on site. Let Mike know we are looking forward to having back in Canada again this year. He is good people!
CPR
2/14/2019 2:36am
I'm still at a loss as to why Reed and Webb were the only top riders to turn up at last weekends meeting. Why do you think the rest of the guys were notably absent?
kb228
2/14/2019 3:56am
GuyB wrote:
peltier626 wrote:
Help us understand the numbers, Do you have any info you can share?
Figure out how much it is to rent stadiums for 1-2 weeks for 17 weeks for monsterjam and supercross. Its got to be millions of dollars.
peltier626
2/14/2019 5:01am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2019 5:04am
CPR wrote:
I'm still at a loss as to why Reed and Webb were the only top riders to turn up at last weekends meeting. Why do you...
I'm still at a loss as to why Reed and Webb were the only top riders to turn up at last weekends meeting. Why do you think the rest of the guys were notably absent?
Very good question and also a very big part of the problem. Manufactures should support all the riders in these events, but are contractually bound and seem foresighted. The future is now. Collaboration is paramount.
2/14/2019 5:11am
CPR wrote:
I'm still at a loss as to why Reed and Webb were the only top riders to turn up at last weekends meeting. Why do you...
Right?

Post a reply to: Positives from limegate

The Latest