1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
andrewlewis182
7/12/2019 9:19 AM

I'm tossing around the idea of getting my 18 YZ450 frame and swingarm powder coated a satin black. I went to the Redbud National for amateur day and it has stained and marked up the frame/swingarm beyond what my hours of scotch brite can fix. Disclaimer: No it's not a lime incident or track fault, it is all my fault because I left my bike covered in wet sand for 3 days until I got home to clean it like a jacka$$. I'm a little skeptical about powder coating because of the risk and I'm worried that after 20 hrs, the new frame will look even worse than it does now. Any advice/help? I have also found a very good local company that does a lot of the local dirt track race cars and parts so that's not an issue. I think powder coated frames on bikes look sick but I've never personally done it. I've already framed the bike into 100 pieces so the work involved isn't an issue either. Thanks in advance!

BobPA
7/12/2019 9:23 AM

Frame = yes. If you take it to a reputable powdercoater, it will last for many hours. Just make sure that the holes are properly blocked off, along with all machined surfaces.

Swingarm = no. From my experience the swingarm looks good when it is brand new sitting on the stand. Then is goes to shit rather quickly.

Jason Anderson FTW

eric513anderson
7/12/2019 9:39 AM

Take the swingarm off and have it vapor blasted

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

bigdaddy809
7/12/2019 9:41 AM

I agree with BobPA.
My dad and I learned this the hard way back in '07. We powder coated my frame and swing arm. We plugged certain parts of the frame where parts like the steering stem, etc would go through. But we did not cover any parts that bolts and nuts tighten up against. And what happened was during riding the powder coating would just slightly flake and the bolts/nuts would come loose all over the place and rattle around causing even more things to shake. it just all around wasn't worth it for us... that was our experience...

dickjackson170
7/12/2019 9:41 AM

Agree with Bob. I like to powder coat the frame. I prefer to keep the swingarm natural. You can always clean it up with steel wool or if it really goes to shit, an orbital sander. I've done that before, with really fine grit.

byke
7/12/2019 9:53 AM

If you plan on going to Pismo, then definitely. And don't forget the matching spoke skins.

kb228
7/12/2019 9:56 AM

Have it vapor blasted.

Powder coating the frame and swingarm is a great way to reduce the value of the bike. If you dont care about that, knock yourself out.

Brentyancich
7/12/2019 10:00 AM

If you ride the bike it will look terrible in time . Even with fresh griptape it wears

kb228
7/12/2019 10:02 AM

Vapor blast finish looks better than powder coat anyway...

theycallmeebryan
7/12/2019 10:26 AM

Power coating looks great when its brand new. However, it doesn't hold up all that well to normal rubbing of boots on the frame, rocks/roost hitting it, etc. Make sure you add frame guards in the boot area and a skid plate to help protect the coating, otherwise it will rub off after about 15 hours of riding.

Fresh
7/12/2019 10:40 AM

Take it from someone who has powdercoated a frame. Don’t do it.

Gilby122
7/12/2019 10:44 AM

I powdered my KTM 350 swingarm black to match the frame. Looked awesome when it was new. First race someone tboned me in a corner and scratched it. No spot fixing powder like that so either redo it, or live with it.

I enjoy the projects so I've powdered all my sons bikes and rebuilt them during the winter months while I'm bored, but as they say... "shits only new for one race."

I say it probably depends on how much you enjoy tearing them down and cleaning/rebuilding.

Premix
7/12/2019 10:46 AM

Take it from someone who has done it. Don’t do it. Waste of $

Red Crawford
7/12/2019 10:52 AM
Premix wrote:

Take it from someone who ...more

....but that sure is a bitchin looking scooter.... 💪👈

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

andrewlewis182
7/12/2019 10:56 AM

I appreciate all of the quick input!! I will search for a Vapor Blast company somewhat local. Haha That seems to be my best bet. I didn't even think of the bike losing value.

andrewlewis182
7/12/2019 11:06 AM
Premix wrote:

Take it from someone who ...more

Red Crawford wrote:

....but that sure is a ...more

Exactly why I want to do it in the first place haha

7/12/2019 11:46 AM

It‘s a dirt bike, why bother with stuff like that.
It looks great.. until the second ride.

langhammx
7/12/2019 12:10 PM

A 100% NO from me !

Sweetd31
7/12/2019 12:15 PM

Swapping power band colors, now thats worth it

BobPA
7/12/2019 12:15 PM

You guys must of had some poor powder jobs done. My 350 (powdered orange) had 130+ hours on it and still looked great. Had a KX 125 done in green that also looked great for a long time. Had numerous 250 and 250f Kawasaki's done, most with over 100 hours of use. Frames guards are a must, and who honestly does not run a skid/glide plate?

Jason Anderson FTW

langhammx
7/12/2019 12:22 PM
BobPA wrote:

You guys must of had some ...more

Bob, powder coating a steel frame is a no brainer. But powder coating an aluminum frame or swing arm is a BAD idea, if you plan on riding it on the dirt on a MX track.
One of the best things about the aluminum frames is being able to clean it up with some scotchbrite.
a few minutes and a little elbow grease and it’s looking fresh.

philG
7/12/2019 12:25 PM

No..

TeamGreen
7/12/2019 12:33 PM

Any good anodizer can very mildly “etch” it for you and remove those stains.

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

Spudnut
7/12/2019 12:37 PM

Did it once, wouldn’t do it again a shit load of prep work and a lot of riding time missed just to have it rub off the frame rails and swingarm look like shit after about 5-10 rides. Sold it before it got too bad thankfully and probably got more for it than I would have if not coated. Sold it (01 yz 250) for 2800

Talisker
7/12/2019 1:52 PM

Ask youself this. Do you like to ride your bike or do you like to look at your bike.
Its not worth the time, energy, and money. You are spending all three (time, energy, and money) on a rapidly depeciating dirtbike. Id rather be riding.

BobPA
7/12/2019 2:30 PM
BobPA wrote:

You guys must of had some ...more

langhammx wrote:

Bob, powder coating a ...more

I agree. But both of my Kawasaki 250f's and a 450 had aluminum frames...Never an issue. Satin black usually works best, gloss is impossible to keep looking good. Tried a black swingarm once, never ever ever again.

Jason Anderson FTW

Texas Built
7/12/2019 7:16 PM
byke wrote:

If you plan on going to ...more

And LBZ gear.

PatrickEvans71
7/12/2019 7:25 PM

40 Hours on this frame and swingarm. Swingarms still looking good.

rjg
7/12/2019 7:45 PM

It's like looking at a sexy babe

Lunch_Box
7/12/2019 7:49 PM

Looks to good not to do...

1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry