CRF450L: Pssst, hey, over here, have you heard about Honda’s street legal Motocrosser?

TeamGreen
10/21/2018 2:20pm
rt987 wrote:
Man that 26hp error must have really hurt Honda. I’m a KTM guy and I took great notice at this when it was announced, but the...
Man that 26hp error must have really hurt Honda. I’m a KTM guy and I took great notice at this when it was announced, but the HP numbers and weight immediately turned me off.

Those losers on advrider had a field day with it that’s for sure.

Far as fire roading goes, the KTM 690R is only 40lbs heavier with 20hp more. 6.7lbs/hp:5lbs/hp. And a longer lasting engine. Buy one of those and a cheap 2 stroke for mx. End up with a worn out bike and disappointing lap times if you try to MX a DS bike. Been there done that. But that Honda suspension looks WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than EXC WP.
Anyone that falls for that 26HP crap doesn't deserve the 450L.
rt987
10/21/2018 3:29pm
rt987 wrote:
Man that 26hp error must have really hurt Honda. I’m a KTM guy and I took great notice at this when it was announced, but the...
Man that 26hp error must have really hurt Honda. I’m a KTM guy and I took great notice at this when it was announced, but the HP numbers and weight immediately turned me off.

Those losers on advrider had a field day with it that’s for sure.

Far as fire roading goes, the KTM 690R is only 40lbs heavier with 20hp more. 6.7lbs/hp:5lbs/hp. And a longer lasting engine. Buy one of those and a cheap 2 stroke for mx. End up with a worn out bike and disappointing lap times if you try to MX a DS bike. Been there done that. But that Honda suspension looks WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than EXC WP.
TeamGreen wrote:
Anyone that falls for that 26HP crap doesn't deserve the 450L.
Hey knowing Honda, I wasn’t surprised at all. Disappointed, but not surprised. Thankfully we aren’t having it.
Zachintosh
10/21/2018 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2018 7:25pm
blusmbl wrote:
You seriously cruised the 100% stock 450L to the track, then rode motos with it? Does it come with a trailer hitch so it can tow...
You seriously cruised the 100% stock 450L to the track, then rode motos with it? Does it come with a trailer hitch so it can tow your massive balls around behind you or is that sold separately???
I rode my dainty WR250R to Pala recently and had a blast - mostly from honking at riders in my way Smile

Also, I have a deposit on a 450L, which will replace my WR.

TeamGreen
10/21/2018 7:24pm
blusmbl wrote:
You seriously cruised the 100% stock 450L to the track, then rode motos with it? Does it come with a trailer hitch so it can tow...
You seriously cruised the 100% stock 450L to the track, then rode motos with it? Does it come with a trailer hitch so it can tow your massive balls around behind you or is that sold separately???
Zachintosh wrote:
I rode my dainty WR250R to Pala recently and had a blast - mostly from honking at riders in my way :) Also, I have a...
I rode my dainty WR250R to Pala recently and had a blast - mostly from honking at riders in my way Smile

Also, I have a deposit on a 450L, which will replace my WR.

This guy gets it!

The Shop

three9zero
10/22/2018 8:01am
three9zero wrote:
First major service is 30 000 km .
steed 2.0 wrote:
That's almost XR600 territory... only in race trim this time... 40hp is enough for most folks at the vet track and in urban areas (terraces killer...
That's almost XR600 territory... only in race trim this time... 40hp is enough for most folks at the vet track and in urban areas (terraces killer ; ) If you gear the 6th for highway use (overdrive) It’s an exculent bike for city folks as well. In general off road bike’s are very safe in traffic jam situations... you overlook all the cars whit eas.
TeamGreen wrote:
It's limits to 90mph stock (doesn't want to let you go over 90). I was able to roll with the high-speed-nut-jobs on I-5 South from San...
It's limits to 90mph stock (doesn't want to let you go over 90).

I was able to roll with the high-speed-nut-jobs on I-5 South from San Clemente to Oceanside (75-80). I prefer 60-65, tho, which was easily doable in the right lanes.

Stock gearing is an excellent compromise between on-road and off-road. They REALLY sorted this bike out.
Lol... I "did not" shut-her down @ 150kph.
Stuntman949
10/22/2018 8:41am
Did you put the turn signal on when you went to chop someone's front end?
Moto96
10/22/2018 8:42am
seth505 wrote:
The only shitty setup on my ktm is the rear plate mounting. Comes loose constantly but blinkers don’t fly off.
Mount the plate where stunters do.
drt410
10/22/2018 8:49am
blusmbl wrote:
I thought u cant ride a bike with a kick stand on a track for the safety of everyone there. Kickstand down landing on someone can impail someone, it can stick in the ground n flip you, it can dig in in a corner n high side. Tons of things happen if you do ride to a track or somewhere to lay down jumps just securing it isnt enough make sure its very berryyyy secured or temporarily removed.
TeamGreen
10/22/2018 9:20am
blusmbl wrote:
drt410 wrote:
I thought u cant ride a bike with a kick stand on a track for the safety of everyone there. Kickstand down landing on someone can...
I thought u cant ride a bike with a kick stand on a track for the safety of everyone there. Kickstand down landing on someone can impail someone, it can stick in the ground n flip you, it can dig in in a corner n high side. Tons of things happen if you do ride to a track or somewhere to lay down jumps just securing it isnt enough make sure its very berryyyy secured or temporarily removed.
You might wanna take a look at the kick stand on the Homda...or KTM & Husky for that matter. I hit the big Step-Over Table and even Flat-Landed it a coupl'a times: no problem with the kickstand.

Bye the way, to remove the kick-stand "cleanly": get a CRF-R left side footpeg mount and it's good bye kick-stand. I think the mount is around $20-25.
dcg141
10/22/2018 9:37am
KTM comes with a rubber strap to put around the kickstand. I have raced ECX's and XC-W's in the past. They do fine with power usually its the gear ratios more than anything that are not ideal for MX. All you 450L customers should send KTM a thank you letter because with out the EXC Honda would have never made that bike.
TeamGreen
10/22/2018 5:07pm
dcg141 wrote:
KTM comes with a rubber strap to put around the kickstand. I have raced ECX's and XC-W's in the past. They do fine with power usually...
KTM comes with a rubber strap to put around the kickstand. I have raced ECX's and XC-W's in the past. They do fine with power usually its the gear ratios more than anything that are not ideal for MX. All you 450L customers should send KTM a thank you letter because with out the EXC Honda would have never made that bike.
We’ll start with EVERYONE thanking Soichiro HONDA, posthumously, for making The Elsinores in the ‘70s.
Mmmmm’kay?
dcg141
10/22/2018 5:26pm
Honda..the pioneers of everything. If you don't believe me just read their press releases or listen to their fanboys. Honda never met a bandwagon they didn't love to jump on and claim it was their idea all along. This latest intro of bikes based on the MX model so new and cutting edge, I'm glad they invented MX with the Elsinore.
GPrider
10/22/2018 6:03pm
dcg141 wrote:
KTM comes with a rubber strap to put around the kickstand. I have raced ECX's and XC-W's in the past. They do fine with power usually...
and KTM should thank Honda, as if no Honda, no KTM
dcg141
10/22/2018 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 6:23pm
dcg141 wrote:
GPrider wrote:
Yea I'm glad they invented motorcycles. BTW Honda has been making motorcycles only 2 years longer than KTM.
TeamGreen
10/22/2018 6:34pm
dcg141 wrote:
GPrider wrote:
That's lost on some people, isn't it?

The Band-Wagon, for me, is simply about Moto. Period.

Those that want to blow their "Team Colored Smoke" seem to be noobs...or some kinda light beer drinking "our team" fan boy club that more oft than not point their silly little fingers at others while being completely blind to their own ingnorance.

Spent the last year stating the FACT that an RMZ450 is the Super-Economical way to get your laps in. Proved it.
In 2014, I was tellin' everyone..."Hey! Husky IS BACK!" Rode EVERYTHING THEY MADE.Awesome Bikes, ALL
RACED a Factory Services engined 450 SXF for 2 years, too. (Hint to the butt-hurt)
Achieved a few shootouts since then...
Rode EVERYTHING...& then some.
Trials bikes...
Adventure Bikes...
Raced Moto...
Raced Baja...
Raced Hare-Scrambles...etc.
Then...
This week, I roll out a CRF450L...simply the most "Moto" 450 Enduro I've EVER ridden. PERIOD.
Btw, I own the other brands that "Team Butt-Hurt" is championing...they seem to ignore that. Don't they?
All the while...the difference between them and me?
I'm BRUTALLY HONEST about "The Bike" & I have a case of N F G when it comes to the Brand Game, at the end of the day.

Spent ANOTHER DAY riding the CRF-L to the track...
Did some laps...again.
Did an honest to goodness "100 mile Enduro-Adventure Ride" over the Ortega and along the southern summit...all on ONE TANK of gas. Stock...tank...of gas.
This bike is epic.
The suspension has NO COMPETITION in this segment.
The build quality, also, is BEYOND COMPARE.

If that hurts someone's feelings?
Sorry.
TeamGreen
10/22/2018 6:36pm
dcg141 wrote:
GPrider wrote:
dcg141 wrote:
Yea I'm glad they invented motorcycles. BTW Honda has been making motorcycles only 2 years longer than KTM.
Dude, who's built bikes for "everyone" and put more people ON A MOTORCYCLE than ALL of Europe and America's brands COMBINED?????
dcg141
10/22/2018 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 8:02pm
Glad your the expert on everything motorcycles. Where would the rest of us be without you giving the last word, definitive lowdown on everything moto. My feelings aren't hurt but claiming that the 450L is some new frontier that's never been crossed is a stretch.
Hcallz5
10/22/2018 8:07pm
Get an XR650 and slap an FCR on it and you've pretty much got the same bike for about 1/3 the price.

TeamGreen
10/22/2018 9:22pm
dcg141 wrote:
Glad your the expert on everything motorcycles. Where would the rest of us be without you giving the last word, definitive lowdown on everything moto. My...
Glad your the expert on everything motorcycles. Where would the rest of us be without you giving the last word, definitive lowdown on everything moto. My feelings aren't hurt but claiming that the 450L is some new frontier that's never been crossed is a stretch.
Hey, "Captain Not Getting It"...

You're the one stepping all over this with your "Thanks to KTM" mantra. But, I digress. You can argue the "history according to you" all you want...or, you can go read a book...or learn a little history.

Why do I get the feeling you're not getting it? Oh, it's because you ran your mouth with the KTM thing and now you're PROVING that you're butt hurt.

Sorry about having to point that out.
TeamGreen
10/22/2018 9:25pm
Hcallz5 wrote:
Get an XR650 and slap an FCR on it and you've pretty much got the same bike for about 1/3 the price.

Got one. No FCR, tho. I race with a group of guys that're "VERY Ogilvie" and we make the Penninsula run on an XR Team when-ever SCORE does a "Real" 1000!
Laughing
dcg141
10/22/2018 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 9:57pm
Hey if you seriously think Honda came up with the idea of a MX based line of off-road models on their own then who
am I to argue? I bow to your superior knowledge.
Cancerman
10/22/2018 10:21pm
dcg141 wrote:
Hey if you seriously think Honda came up with the idea of a MX based line of off-road models on their own then who am I...
Hey if you seriously think Honda came up with the idea of a MX based line of off-road models on their own then who
I don't think that's what he said. I get it Manny..
TeamGreen
10/22/2018 10:25pm
dcg141 wrote:
Hey if you seriously think Honda came up with the idea of a MX based line of off-road models on their own then who am I...
Cancerman wrote:
I don't think that's what he said. I get it Manny..
Wait until he stumbles onto the MT line of Elsinores...
Laughing
G-man
10/22/2018 10:28pm
My God what has happened to this board?
Team Green gives a cool review on a new bike and it turns into a flame Fest!
Sheesh.... Unsure
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
10/22/2018 10:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 10:41pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Yamaha is dropping the ball bigtime by not offering a 450 dually. I'm not even a huge Yamaha fan because of their ergos but a street...
Yamaha is dropping the ball bigtime by not offering a 450 dually. I'm not even a huge Yamaha fan because of their ergos but a street legal wr450 would be my first choice because of the durability of their valvetrain.
I won't lie I want one, but my plated 03' is hanging tough, dialed in and paid for so...... maybe next year Laughing

I've seen one cruising around San Clemente, Team Green ? You're right about it being quiet, it went right by me a couple times and I was surprised how quiet it was. I thought it was a 250L until I got a closer look.
walleyeguy
10/23/2018 6:40am
Sounds like its an impressive machine but I'm doubting it is as "moto" capable as an FX. Glad there's other options out there but I know my FX is EVERY bit as "moto" as my 14 YZ250F was. Slightly better actually. Depending on which sprocket I have on "stock easily cruises at 55-60" 13t front 50-55.
gt80rider
10/23/2018 6:59am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2018 7:00am
Hate to actually get back to the bike over all this arguing, but exactly what is the oil change interval on the Honda???
jeffro413
10/23/2018 7:21am
DL wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/19/297027/s1200_0C4954AA_0E35_4CD9_8ECC_F1AB04897A00.jpg[/img] Working on a project with Malcolm Smith Motorsports and IMS. Waiting on an ECU from Vortex so we can map it correctly

Working on a project with Malcolm Smith Motorsports and IMS. Waiting on an ECU from Vortex so we can map it correctly
If you could keep it as quiet as it is stock - i'm all for this! We have a waiting list on these. and where we are, the nearest riding is 60 miles. There was a group of us that poached some woods along a river that we used to ride in 25 years ago but got kicked out due to noise. we were there for 4 hours a few sunday's ago and nobody heard a thing. when leaving the land owner was getting his mail - he waved at us when we went by!

keep it quiet - shave some weight - increase power.
ob
10/23/2018 7:36am
Bullshit! I only like light beer half the time!

Post a reply to: CRF450L: Pssst, hey, over here, have you heard about Honda’s street legal Motocrosser?

The Latest