Pulpmx Monday Night - Quadgate

Kyle978
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2020 1:33pm
I’ve had more time these days to catch up on podcasts, and I’m very glad I was able to catch the Pulpmx archive.

It started off with a weird hatred toward JT (maybe he was the first ATV rider in history to be declined sponsorship from Fly? 😂), then abruptly went south when Steve asked if he owned a bike so that he could give him some free product.

The drunk bastard tatted himself out that he was a former quad racer, JT understandably took the opportunity to laugh at the fact he was a quad rider trying to clown on JT, former SX racer. Quad God then immediately stated he would race JT for pinks (pink slips for you non-hillbillies out there who probably haven’t heard the term) and I fucking lost it from there 😂😂😂😂 that was single handedly the best quote I’ve ever heard on Pulp.

It then turned into quad vs dirt bikes, the drunk caller compared his lap times to Brayton’s repeatedly and got angry, called back a few more times and Steve lost it. Despite losing it, the Pulp guys handled it with class and it made for good radio.

Someone needs to dig up this guys results and lap times, decipher the differences in track and break this down. This Quad God has clearly been pickling his brain in booze for decades and perfectly represents my interpretation and impression of quad riders. Hard to imagine he is the same level athlete as even the 60th place qualifier at a national.

Please discuss, I’m still laughing my ass off 😂😂 Thank goodness for gems like these during this quarantine down time.
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/8/2020 10:41am
It was great haha!

No disrespect to quad "racers" though, I've seen some guys absolutely fly on them and they can corner so fast.

It was a good debate.

Maybe if they set up a Western Raceway challenge could make some good video content.
Lightning78
4/8/2020 11:08am
I was laughing so hard on my way into work this morning when "Quad-gate" broke out....he called back like 3 or 4 times too! It was one of those weird random moments pulp just went with and had a field day with. I hope he does that more often on the show it's been kinda stale for a bit....... SO MUCH as and sponsor plugs, a lot of times the guests seem to be worked around sponsors giving it a fake smell which is drastically different than the peak Watson years. I know hes gotta make they money but Its taking over the shows direction entirely it seems lately.

Still though, this last show was hilarious
Dimblewambie
4/8/2020 11:11am
Laughing my ass off right now, hammy just got off the line from his 3rd call in.

The Shop

gt80rider
4/8/2020 11:21am
Sometimes the lap times may look the same.... But typically the track was changed.... Watch canard vs a quad guy to see the real life speed difference....
Mossy
4/8/2020 11:21am
It was funny but it wasnt THAT funny. Dry
aeffertz
4/8/2020 11:49am
Caller was a drunken buffoon that would just repeat the same thing over and over, luckily the guys humored him and made it entertaining.

Ol’ boy was lost in the sauce.
MX304
Fantasy
3753rd
4/8/2020 11:52am
That was hilarious. I have a lot of respect for guys that can go really fast on a quad though. That shit ain't easy.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/8/2020 11:56am
MX304 wrote:
That was hilarious. I have a lot of respect for guys that can go really fast on a quad though. That shit ain't easy.
One day when racing a series race, a friend asked me if I wanted to enter his YFZ450 in the quad beginner class. I did, and got smoked! By beginners! (I was a +30 B winner at the time on an MX bike.) Quads are hard, man. I don't know how they do it.
Nellyinda803
Fantasy
434th
4/8/2020 12:02pm
MX304 wrote:
Falcon wrote:
One day when racing a series race, a friend asked me if I wanted to enter his YFZ450 in the quad beginner class. I did, and...
One day when racing a series race, a friend asked me if I wanted to enter his YFZ450 in the quad beginner class. I did, and got smoked! By beginners! (I was a +30 B winner at the time on an MX bike.) Quads are hard, man. I don't know how they do it.
I'm sure they'd say the same riding a bike that fast as well!
davis224
Fantasy
165th
4/8/2020 12:31pm
gt80rider wrote:
Sometimes the lap times may look the same.... But typically the track was changed.... Watch canard vs a quad guy to see the real life speed...
Sometimes the lap times may look the same.... But typically the track was changed.... Watch canard vs a quad guy to see the real life speed difference....
Link?
4/8/2020 1:06pm
I was laughing so hard on my way into work this morning when "Quad-gate" broke out....he called back like 3 or 4 times too! It was...
I was laughing so hard on my way into work this morning when "Quad-gate" broke out....he called back like 3 or 4 times too! It was one of those weird random moments pulp just went with and had a field day with. I hope he does that more often on the show it's been kinda stale for a bit....... SO MUCH as and sponsor plugs, a lot of times the guests seem to be worked around sponsors giving it a fake smell which is drastically different than the peak Watson years. I know hes gotta make they money but Its taking over the shows direction entirely it seems lately.

Still though, this last show was hilarious
wtf are you talking about, in a 5 HOUR show id bet theres lucky to be 10mins of sponsor reads
Kyle978
4/8/2020 1:08pm
If you don’t think this segment is hilarious, I’ll race you for pinks 😂
DKmxFAN
4/8/2020 1:16pm
4 wheelers are for hauling deer out of the woods and going for a little ride down a trail. I have a side by side and it’s just that, work it and grab a few beers and go for a trail ride. Racing them is gay and has nothing on racing a motorcycle in my opinion.
Harv379
Fantasy
1988th
4/8/2020 1:59pm
You gotta listen to the Fly whatever show where Matthes interviews Phi Nicolettil, he ask's Phil about it at the end of the interview, it's awesome.
olympiamann
4/8/2020 3:35pm
DKmxFAN wrote:
4 wheelers are for hauling deer out of the woods and going for a little ride down a trail. I have a side by side and...
4 wheelers are for hauling deer out of the woods and going for a little ride down a trail. I have a side by side and it’s just that, work it and grab a few beers and go for a trail ride. Racing them is gay and has nothing on racing a motorcycle in my opinion.
oops accidental liked that...just sayin
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
4/8/2020 3:47pm
The best part was matthes saying " quad racers are failed motocross riders"
I was driving to work this morning when that quote was dropped, I damn near had to pull over started laughing so hard.
FuzzyLogic
4/8/2020 3:52pm
cablecable wrote:
wtf are you talking about, in a 5 HOUR show id bet theres lucky to be 10mins of sponsor reads
I love the PulpMX show, and completely understand why he has ads when he puts out 7-8 hours of quality content FOR FREE every week.

With that said, a month or two back I was trying to do some catching up and found myself fast forwarding through the sponsor reads (which I dont really notice when I listen to a current show) and you would be surprised. The first 6 minutes of the show is basically a read, in between guests, and segments there is a fair amount.

not complaining, but i think you'd be surprised how often you're being read an ad. Steve does a great job of shoehorning them in.
4/8/2020 3:56pm
I love the memes n shit but Walker Fowler would absolutely dust 99% of vital on a dirt scooter.

That dude can ride.
agn5009
4/8/2020 4:27pm
I love the memes n shit but Walker Fowler would absolutely dust 99% of vital on a dirt scooter.

That dude can ride.
Most top pros can. Barry Hawk was once a quad rider and moved to bikes pretty effortlessly. He had a pretty decent career Cool
4/8/2020 5:00pm
Not exactly the same as quads, but after he retired from full time Moto (and before his last paralyzing crash), Doug Henry tried a few seasons at snocross (snowmobiles) with factory Yamaha and had a very difficult time reaching the top level. Of course, this was during the Morgan/Vincent era. I also remember one time Pastrana tried snocross and was unimpressive.

Matthes mentioned Hibbert and Morgan and used them as examples of how a Moto guy can dominate other racing disciplines, but we need to keep in mind that those two grew up riding snowmobiles and eventually devoted years and years and 100% into racing them.

Just thought I’d throw that out there for some perspective.
Mr. Afterbar
4/9/2020 4:20am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2020 5:51am
Not exactly the same as quads, but after he retired from full time Moto (and before his last paralyzing crash), Doug Henry tried a few seasons...
Not exactly the same as quads, but after he retired from full time Moto (and before his last paralyzing crash), Doug Henry tried a few seasons at snocross (snowmobiles) with factory Yamaha and had a very difficult time reaching the top level. Of course, this was during the Morgan/Vincent era. I also remember one time Pastrana tried snocross and was unimpressive.

Matthes mentioned Hibbert and Morgan and used them as examples of how a Moto guy can dominate other racing disciplines, but we need to keep in mind that those two grew up riding snowmobiles and eventually devoted years and years and 100% into racing them.

Just thought I’d throw that out there for some perspective.
Doug Henry also rode for Yamaha which were not good if I remember correctly. And it’s true about moto guys transferring well to other disciplines. CJ and Johnny Greave’s, Rick Johnson, Brian Deegan all excelled at racing off-road trucks and started in moto. Tucker Hibbert grew up racing MX and is the best snow cross racer ever. More than a couple of local MX pros around me finish (finished) on the podium regularly and won races in snowcross . There are literally countless examples. If you grew up racing MX, you can race just about anything IMO.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
4/9/2020 4:52am
FilthyPhil said on yesterdays podcast that in 08 there was a quad race at Steel City on Friday before the national and the winner was running the same lap time as JS7
4/9/2020 5:08am
Gary Denton. In 125 MX he had years of 7th and 10th OA. He switched to quads and won 8 championships in a row.
aeffertz
4/9/2020 7:10am
motoxxx599 wrote:
FilthyPhil said on yesterdays podcast that in 08 there was a quad race at Steel City on Friday before the national and the winner was running...
FilthyPhil said on yesterdays podcast that in 08 there was a quad race at Steel City on Friday before the national and the winner was running the same lap time as JS7
That’s not accurate. The winner Chad Wienen’s fastest lap was 6 seconds slower than Stewart’s. Still fast, though.
CR92
4/9/2020 7:41am
This may be a dumb question, but which pulp show is this one? Does anyone have a link? Sounds worth listening to.
aeffertz
4/9/2020 8:10am
CR92 wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but which pulp show is this one? Does anyone have a link? Sounds worth listening to.
The most recent show from this Monday.

Post a reply to: Pulpmx Monday Night - Quadgate

The Latest