Question about MC's KTM deal

flatout111
Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 3:13pm
Why wasn't he on a Red Bull KTM? We saw Bud Light and Hot Wheels graphics on his bike on the two World Supercross rounds but never Red Bull on bike or gear.. I always thought that was odd. Conflicting personal sponsor?
|
Crush
12/9/2017 2:41am
It was still his team with Brooks. They just changed manufacturers.
22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
12/9/2017 2:47am
Red bull probably couldn't afford the deal at the time, was early for them?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/9/2017 3:50am
flatout111 wrote:
Why wasn't he on a Red Bull KTM? We saw Bud Light and Hot Wheels graphics on his bike on the two World Supercross rounds but...
Why wasn't he on a Red Bull KTM? We saw Bud Light and Hot Wheels graphics on his bike on the two World Supercross rounds but never Red Bull on bike or gear.. I always thought that was odd. Conflicting personal sponsor?
It was Jeremy's private team, which was title sponsored by Bud Light.
flatout111
12/9/2017 5:31am
Cool. Thanks, fellas. So he actually ran on his private team for several years, I guess.

The Shop

Donovan759
12/9/2017 5:47am
flatout111 wrote:
Why wasn't he on a Red Bull KTM? We saw Bud Light and Hot Wheels graphics on his bike on the two World Supercross rounds but...
ML512 wrote:
Aren’t there pictures of his bike with Grant Langston’s bike under the factory KTM rig? Did he have full factory support?
flatout111
12/9/2017 6:14am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 6:15am
flatout111 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Donovan759 wrote:
Aren’t there pictures of his bike with Grant Langston’s bike under the factory KTM rig? Did he have full factory support?
That is what confused me a bit. There are pics of both their bikes under the Red Bull Factory KTM rig.
12/9/2017 6:17am
Donovan759 wrote:
"Both McGrath and the KTM Racing Team will begin preparing for the 2003 Supercross Season immediately. McGrath Racing will field it’s own team under the title sponsorship of Bud Light and operate out of its own semi, but with full factory support from KTM"

http://supercross.com/mcgrath-a-ktm/
APLMAN99
12/9/2017 7:38am
Wasn't MC one of the original Hansen's Soda guys? The Hansen's that became Monster?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/9/2017 8:47am
ML512 wrote:
Donovan759 wrote:
flatout111 wrote:
That is what confused me a bit. There are pics of both their bikes under the Red Bull Factory KTM rig.
Probably the World SX rounds he attended or it could've been from during the season where he showed up and did his "retirement" tour...I don't think they woulda brought their rig to each round for the opening ceremonies thing he did. I was about 9 years old at the time, so I don't remember the pit situation that well.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/9/2017 9:45am
LBrooks wrote:
??
Larry! Did you guys take the rig around for the retirement tour or was MC's bike under the factory KTM awning for that?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/9/2017 9:50am
Wasn't his retirement SX tour in '06 on a CR 250?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/9/2017 9:57am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Wasn't his retirement SX tour in '06 on a CR 250?
That was different. 2002 was MC's last full year of racing and that was aboard a Yamaha. In '03 he would've raced the KTM but ultimately due to injury and some issues with the program he called it the end and retired. I believe he went to the majority if not all the SX races that year for his "retirement" tour. He was away in 2004 and then did a deal with Honda in '05 where he did a hand full of SX races for fun and stuff like Supermoto...then did a few more SX races in '06. In '06 he actually did a few rounds on the CR250R then swapped to the 450.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/9/2017 10:06am
I know he raced the KTM in off season events and got hurt. I just found it odd he was retired then came back years later for his retirement tour. Didn't realise he had one prior to the Honda thing. Just thought he called it a career and walk off the stage and obviously came back to ride some events.

Either way it's MC, he's the King and was/am a fan.

In my opinion he should be on a Yamy. When I think MC, I think Yamaha. Maybe it's just me or the time I grew up in.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/9/2017 10:20am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 10:23am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I know he raced the KTM in off season events and got hurt. I just found it odd he was retired then came back years later...
I know he raced the KTM in off season events and got hurt. I just found it odd he was retired then came back years later for his retirement tour. Didn't realise he had one prior to the Honda thing. Just thought he called it a career and walk off the stage and obviously came back to ride some events.

In my opinion he should be on a Yamy. When I think MC, I think Yamaha. Maybe it's just me or the time I grew up in.
I think Honda personally. He raced nine seasons aboard a Honda (counting the four rookie season races in 89, plus another two seasons if you count the 12 races he did between '05-'06 aboard a Honda...so without those it would be six seasons) and all this added up to 158 races at the end of '96, plus another 12 in '05-'06 for a grand total of 170 AMA Supercross and Motocross races aboard a Honda (not counting off-season stuff).

Yamaha he raced five seasons for and ran a total of 86 AMA Supercross and Motocross races for the blue brand.

So in the end, he competed in almost twice as many races on red than blue wen it comes to the AMA SX/MX stuff...then there's off-season, X-Games, Supermoto, etc that would probably lean more Honda as well.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/9/2017 10:44am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I know he raced the KTM in off season events and got hurt. I just found it odd he was retired then came back years later...

ML512 wrote:
I think Honda personally. He raced nine seasons aboard a Honda (counting the four rookie season races in 89, plus another two seasons if you count...
I think Honda personally. He raced nine seasons aboard a Honda (counting the four rookie season races in 89, plus another two seasons if you count the 12 races he did between '05-'06 aboard a Honda...so without those it would be six seasons) and all this added up to 158 races at the end of '96, plus another 12 in '05-'06 for a grand total of 170 AMA Supercross and Motocross races aboard a Honda (not counting off-season stuff).

Yamaha he raced five seasons for and ran a total of 86 AMA Supercross and Motocross races for the blue brand.

So in the end, he competed in almost twice as many races on red than blue wen it comes to the AMA SX/MX stuff...then there's off-season, X-Games, Supermoto, etc that would probably lean more Honda as well.
I know he spent more time on Honda but he still looked better on blue Cool

Maybe it's because I was a Yamaha guy or his video games. Pretty sure we can agree on one thing and that's I don't think Kawi when I think MC.
12/9/2017 12:40pm
22Ryann wrote:
Red bull probably couldn't afford the deal at the time, was early for them?
Red Bull have been around a long time, remember seeing a Red Bull logo on Sennas car from the early 90s
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
12/9/2017 12:46pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Wasn't MC one of the original Hansen's Soda guys? The Hansen's that became Monster?
Alessi is always the first person I can think of that had the Green claw
mxjon454
12/9/2017 3:13pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

ML512 wrote:
I think Honda personally. He raced nine seasons aboard a Honda (counting the four rookie season races in 89, plus another two seasons if you count...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I know he spent more time on Honda but he still looked better on blue B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/09/230564/s1200_20d8a894e2d8131e63f8a43df7e1c7aa.jpg[/img] Maybe it's because I was a Yamaha guy or...
I know he spent more time on Honda but he still looked better on blue Cool

Maybe it's because I was a Yamaha guy or his video games. Pretty sure we can agree on one thing and that's I don't think Kawi when I think MC.
Damn that '02 set up he had was sooo damn sick. Everything was so clean. I actually have one of those thor jerseys signed.

Post a reply to: Question about MC's KTM deal

The Latest