Question for DC...and a sincere thank you.

flatout111
12/21/2017 5:56am
First of all, thanks for all you and you're family have done for moto. I've been a fan of yours since you were down on the floor in the epic Eckman/Bailey/Coombs/Reid SX days.

And now, I never miss a race in or outdoors and thankful for the awesome season pass you put together last year. Lifetime subscriber. But please keep the tv package. I have shoddy internet.

My question is this. Often what we really love and are drawn to most is what time/era you got into the sport. For me it was late 90s and early 2000s. One of my favorite things to do was listen to the audio MX webcast on mxnationals.com. it was for the hardcore. And since it was archived, I would go back thru the week and listen. Heck, before I got married I used to go to sleep listening to the archives! Lol.

I know this was before a great tv package with Weege and GL but even still I think it would great to offer, especially since the trackside audio crew are already there working from grandstand. Offer it and def archive it. Most sports offer audio and tv. So should MX!

I loved it!! The feed straight from the track was so exciting. "Carmichael takes on the number 1 ride!!"

2 questions. Is there anywhere I could retrieve those glorious race archives to listen to again and any chance we could ever get it back or at least be able to tap into the feed of the trackside call either live or preferably archived? I'd gladly pay for both as I do season pass. Those archives have to be out there. They were up for years.

Anyway. Thanks again.

PS. I've almost completed my entire run of the print Racer X magazines. Quite a collection I'm proud of!

|
flatout111
12/22/2017 10:43am
Moving back to front of forum in hopes Davey sees it. Not sure how else to ask him a question.
kkawboy14
12/22/2017 10:57am
flatout111 wrote:
Moving back to front of forum in hopes Davey sees it. Not sure how else to ask him a question.
He has seen it! Those guys all pop in here every couple hours Smile
Wade221
12/22/2017 11:02am
flatout111 wrote:
First of all, thanks for all you and you're family have done for moto. I've been a fan of yours since you were down on the...
First of all, thanks for all you and you're family have done for moto. I've been a fan of yours since you were down on the floor in the epic Eckman/Bailey/Coombs/Reid SX days.

And now, I never miss a race in or outdoors and thankful for the awesome season pass you put together last year. Lifetime subscriber. But please keep the tv package. I have shoddy internet.

My question is this. Often what we really love and are drawn to most is what time/era you got into the sport. For me it was late 90s and early 2000s. One of my favorite things to do was listen to the audio MX webcast on mxnationals.com. it was for the hardcore. And since it was archived, I would go back thru the week and listen. Heck, before I got married I used to go to sleep listening to the archives! Lol.

I know this was before a great tv package with Weege and GL but even still I think it would great to offer, especially since the trackside audio crew are already there working from grandstand. Offer it and def archive it. Most sports offer audio and tv. So should MX!

I loved it!! The feed straight from the track was so exciting. "Carmichael takes on the number 1 ride!!"

2 questions. Is there anywhere I could retrieve those glorious race archives to listen to again and any chance we could ever get it back or at least be able to tap into the feed of the trackside call either live or preferably archived? I'd gladly pay for both as I do season pass. Those archives have to be out there. They were up for years.

Anyway. Thanks again.

PS. I've almost completed my entire run of the print Racer X magazines. Quite a collection I'm proud of!

Did you get Racer X when it was a newspaper? When I was a kid, I went to a D5 race and subscribed! Loved it! Especially Leann Tweedens column "Ciao Babe"! I didn't so much read her column, as much as stare at her picture
flatout111
12/22/2017 11:17am
Wade221 wrote:
Did you get Racer X when it was a newspaper? When I was a kid, I went to a D5 race and subscribed! Loved it! Especially...
Did you get Racer X when it was a newspaper? When I was a kid, I went to a D5 race and subscribed! Loved it! Especially Leann Tweedens column "Ciao Babe"! I didn't so much read her column, as much as stare at her picture
Lol, right!! No, never got the newspaper. That's cool, though.

The Shop

NorCal 50+
12/22/2017 11:28am
I guess DC doesn't have a functioning email address...
DC
12/22/2017 11:42am
Thanks for the note flatout111, I always enjoyed listening to those two. I kind of forgot that we did those, and I will look into how we can maybe do that again, if not live, even just for the archiving....

Wait, how cool would it be to have an audio cast link to old race results in The Vault?! I'm sure we don't have many of the old broadcasts but it sounds like it would be really cool.

Let me look into this thanks. And my email address is DC@racerxonline.com

Happy holidays.

DC
Racer X
flatout111
12/22/2017 11:52am
DC wrote:
Thanks for the note flatout111, I always enjoyed listening to those two. I kind of forgot that we did those, and I will look into how...
Thanks for the note flatout111, I always enjoyed listening to those two. I kind of forgot that we did those, and I will look into how we can maybe do that again, if not live, even just for the archiving....

Wait, how cool would it be to have an audio cast link to old race results in The Vault?! I'm sure we don't have many of the old broadcasts but it sounds like it would be really cool.

Let me look into this thanks. And my email address is DC@racerxonline.com

Happy holidays.

DC
Racer X
That would be amazing, DC!! Thanks for looking into this. I personally would love to hear any and all of the archived races but I would seriously like to have archives of the current ones as well.

But seriously, before we had such good SX/MX tv packages, these webcasts were THE way to enjoy the sport. And, even still, I would listen to archives of the races in addition to the tv broadcasts. Much like sports radio, the radio/webcasts are often more for the hardcore. Nothing beat the MX Nationals webcast team and Chad Damiani/Jim Holley then Weege/Holley in the SX webcasts.

Please see what you can do. I really appreciate. Sending email as well.

JustMX
12/23/2017 10:29am
Dc,

Is there anyway that you could make archived racer x issues available to subscribers?

I asked at the racer x booth the last time I renewed and was told the only way would be to purchase individual back issues.

If there was some way to purchase and access archives in a way like cycle news has set up where archives can be purchased in decade lon blocks that would be great.

Even a way to purchase in one year blocks at a reasonable price would be awesome and could probably be a good revenue stream for racer x.

You have always down such an awesome job of diverse coverage from up and comers to the legends and history of the sport.

Please figure out a way to make this happen for those of us with fond memories and for newcomers to explore the rich history of our sport.
KDXGarage
12/24/2017 4:58am
JustMX wrote:
Dc, Is there anyway that you could make archived racer x issues available to subscribers? I asked at the racer x booth the last time I...
Dc,

Is there anyway that you could make archived racer x issues available to subscribers?

I asked at the racer x booth the last time I renewed and was told the only way would be to purchase individual back issues.

If there was some way to purchase and access archives in a way like cycle news has set up where archives can be purchased in decade lon blocks that would be great.

Even a way to purchase in one year blocks at a reasonable price would be awesome and could probably be a good revenue stream for racer x.

You have always down such an awesome job of diverse coverage from up and comers to the legends and history of the sport.

Please figure out a way to make this happen for those of us with fond memories and for newcomers to explore the rich history of our sport.
That would be great. Thank you for the idea. I wish all magazines would do that.
DC
12/24/2017 6:58am
JustMX, that's a great idea and we have been trying to sort out how to do it better than Cycle News, of which I am a huge fan -- I mention the Archives all the time in Racerhead. My son now has a little business with his buddies that they call "the Racer X Scanning Mafia" (he's 15) and I think a good project for them in 2018 would be the scan in all of the back issues that were not digitized. And then set something up like you mention, as PDFs. We were hoping to make it so you could search out a rider or race with an index but that looks like it would mean rekeying everything. Let me work on this a bit and see what we can get done this coming year.

Thanks and Merry Christmas Eve to all,

DC
Racer X
JustMX
12/24/2017 7:32am
DC wrote:
JustMX, that's a great idea and we have been trying to sort out how to do it better than Cycle News, of which I am a...
JustMX, that's a great idea and we have been trying to sort out how to do it better than Cycle News, of which I am a huge fan -- I mention the Archives all the time in Racerhead. My son now has a little business with his buddies that they call "the Racer X Scanning Mafia" (he's 15) and I think a good project for them in 2018 would be the scan in all of the back issues that were not digitized. And then set something up like you mention, as PDFs. We were hoping to make it so you could search out a rider or race with an index but that looks like it would mean rekeying everything. Let me work on this a bit and see what we can get done this coming year.

Thanks and Merry Christmas Eve to all,

DC
Racer X
That is awesome.

If it is going to make it a tedious process to make the non-digital content seachable than don't worry about it.

Post the pdfs and us older folks will happily look through every paragraph of every available issue.

Best wishes for you and yours, and may 2018 be the best year yet.
KDXGarage
12/24/2017 9:55pm
Thank you for the scanning mafia. Perhaps you could look into one of those 50 sheet feeder scanners. I have over 1,300 off road motorcycle magazines. I have GOT to do something at some point.

You might want to look into what the owner of Nibble, Apple II computer magazine did with his production run.

I subscribe to Racer X print edition, but not digital. I don't subscribe to ANY digital versions. Having to have internet access to view it online is a NO GO for me. I want offline ownership. LOCAL STORAGE ONLY.

Post a reply to: Question for DC...and a sincere thank you.

The Latest