Questions for whoever might be channeling the spirit of TFS regarding an ICE on the moon

Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 12:14am
Been watching a documentary on space, moon, vacuum conditions etc.....it got me wondering about different things......

Would an ICE engine run on the moon if supplied with separate sealed air and fuel sources pressurized to the same levels that naturally occur on earth?

If so, would the vacuum have much effect at all, especially on the exhaust cycle?

Can you consider the exhaust system also sealed in this scenario if its capable of overcoming the vacuum with enough spent gases such that the vacuum only really ends up scavenging the last remnants of gases out of the tail pipe when the engine is killed that would normally be left behind on earth?

Would you hear it? Everyone probably says no because there's no air but wouldn't the spent exhaust gases provide enough of a medium to carry that sound, even faintly, to become audible if you were next to the bike?

|
jeffro503
2/16/2020 3:15pm
I'm not sure. But I am wondering why this is in the moto forum?
Millerrr973
2/16/2020 3:49pm
Been watching a documentary on space, moon, vacuum conditions etc.....it got me wondering about different things...... Would an ICE engine run on the moon if supplied...
Been watching a documentary on space, moon, vacuum conditions etc.....it got me wondering about different things......

Would an ICE engine run on the moon if supplied with separate sealed air and fuel sources pressurized to the same levels that naturally occur on earth?

If so, would the vacuum have much effect at all, especially on the exhaust cycle?

Can you consider the exhaust system also sealed in this scenario if its capable of overcoming the vacuum with enough spent gases such that the vacuum only really ends up scavenging the last remnants of gases out of the tail pipe when the engine is killed that would normally be left behind on earth?

Would you hear it? Everyone probably says no because there's no air but wouldn't the spent exhaust gases provide enough of a medium to carry that sound, even faintly, to become audible if you were next to the bike?

I mean, it’s the same concept as a liquid rocket engine. You store liquid oxygen (lox) in one tank and a propellant (hydrogen, RP1, methane) in the second tank. You wouldn’t have any back pressure, the exhaust gasses would be “pulled” out by the vacuum of space. You could run the exhaust gases back into the tank to keep them pressurized. Similar to how SpaceX’s falcon 9 back purges with helium. But the exhaust gasses would generate a little bit of thrust.

I’d love to build a track on the moon or mars and send it. Maybe I’m the only one.

Oh, and you definitely wouldn’t hear it. The only reason you can hear anything on earth is because of the mechanical vibrations that are transmitted through the atmosphere. No atmosphere = no noise. The amount of exhaust gas would be negligible and would be going away from you.
Millerrr973
2/16/2020 3:50pm
I’d just ride an Alta on the moon. No need for modification. 🌙⚡️
plowboy
2/16/2020 4:02pm
40 years ago I smoked my weight in really good hash. Mostly I went to concerts, screwed chicks, and listened to hard rock. Sometimes I sat down and thought about stuff. I'm pretty sure I figured out perpetual motion, world hunger, peace on earth...all the major stuff. Then I ate burritos and woke up as empty headed as a hobo stew pot. If a bear farts in the woods, if there's no one there to smell it, does it make a sound?

The Shop

BMSOBx2
2/16/2020 4:15pm
If you're traveling at the speed of light in your car would your headlights do any good?
TeamGreen
2/16/2020 4:22pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
If you're traveling at the speed of light in your car would your headlights do any good?
They'd smear
omalley
2/16/2020 7:01pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm not sure. But I am wondering why this is in the moto forum?
Most likely because the OP created a vacuum in a glass device filled with water and smoke...
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
2/17/2020 12:14am
Been watching a documentary on space, moon, vacuum conditions etc.....it got me wondering about different things...... Would an ICE engine run on the moon if supplied...

Time to switch back to shitty weed

Post a reply to: Questions for whoever might be channeling the spirit of TFS regarding an ICE on the moon

The Latest