mmcmx
5/7/2018 12:40am
RIP
5/7/2018 12:42am
RIP Mr. 875

The Shop

philG
5/7/2018 1:15am
Such a shame, met him a couple of times and shared a beer or two. tragic accident that i really cant get my head round.
jock
Fantasy
1st
5/7/2018 1:16am
RIP Eric.

Only 55, far too young.
5/7/2018 1:29am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 1:34am
125, 250 and 500 Champ!

There was a story, or truth that he had a broken leg at the penultimate round and cut the cast off at the final to race and clinch one of his titles?
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
5/7/2018 1:38am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 1:39am
Sad, he wanted to save his dog. RIP mister triple crown.
5/7/2018 1:52am
Rip. People will say it's just a dog and it's stupid to risk losing your life over. My dog is my best friend and is with me 24/7 and helped me through some heavy shit. I would do the same thing.
5/7/2018 2:17am
Rip. People will say it's just a dog and it's stupid to risk losing your life over. My dog is my best friend and is with...
Rip. People will say it's just a dog and it's stupid to risk losing your life over. My dog is my best friend and is with me 24/7 and helped me through some heavy shit. I would do the same thing.
Agreed. So sad, RIP champ!
DeStouwer
5/7/2018 2:25am
Still nothing official yet, but doesn't look good... He's been missing since 10 p.m. last night in water of 12°C...

They were having fun on a motorboat when a young dog fell/jumped into the water. Eric jumped right behind it but immediately came into trouble himself. Someone else on the boat jumped after him but got in to trouble aswell because of the cold temperature and got back onto the boat. Eric hasn't been seen since then.

Man, this is so sad... The simple use of a lifevest could've prevented this.
Crush
5/7/2018 3:02am
OMG that's awfully sad, RIP. What a legend.
Question
5/7/2018 3:07am
I just checked on googlemap and it looks like a very small lake, about 1 km per 600 meters. How can a former world champ in super shape not swim this distance? I can't believe as a former athlete he was not a good swimmer. I am sorry to bring a shadow on this sad story but it sounds like a very weird deal that need much further investigation than currently reported by the belgian press.

In all the cases, RIP MIster Geboers.
DeStouwer
5/7/2018 3:14am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 3:37am
Question wrote:
I just checked on googlemap and it looks like a very small lake, about 1 km per 600 meters. How can a former world champ in...
I just checked on googlemap and it looks like a very small lake, about 1 km per 600 meters. How can a former world champ in super shape not swim this distance? I can't believe as a former athlete he was not a good swimmer. I am sorry to bring a shadow on this sad story but it sounds like a very weird deal that need much further investigation than currently reported by the belgian press.

On places it's 30 meters deep with cold layers of water and heavy undercurrent. The people who were with him saw him disappear under water. It's not like he fell into a pool.
RG95
5/7/2018 3:20am
Rip. People will say it's just a dog and it's stupid to risk losing your life over. My dog is my best friend and is with...
Totally agree with you,
RIP
a22
5/7/2018 3:32am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 3:48am
Question wrote:
I just checked on googlemap and it looks like a very small lake, about 1 km per 600 meters. How can a former world champ in...

DeStouwer wrote:
On places it's 30 meters deep with cold layers of water and heavy undercurrent. The people who were with him saw him disappear under water. It's...
On places it's 30 meters deep with cold layers of water and heavy undercurrent. The people who were with him saw him disappear under water. It's not like he fell into a pool.
Yes good point, I was in south France in summer a while back and there was this lake, was cold in the middle of summer, if you went under water, even 3-6 foot you would not believe how cold it went, I mean almost freezing feeling, it totally shocked your body. I used to dare myself to dive deeper under just to see how cold it got and how much I could take. You would not believe how much the temperature changed and I never felt anything like it. Defo could have killed you,the deeper you went the colder it got. Think at just 6 foot under or so you were forced to submerge. Really was It was so cold the deeper you went and never experienced anything like that before. Not to mention these undercurrents that some have as DeStouwer speaks of. Know of another lake in Italy they fenced off because of fatilities and was believed undercurrents were to blame where a few drowned.
If Erik has passed then RIP to him and the little dog- a humble act by a great man indeed.
make1go
5/7/2018 4:07am
oh dear, thats sucks....
id probably jump in myself, but with hind sight it seems a waste of his life...
5/7/2018 4:08am
Question wrote:

Probably exactly the thinking which made him not hesitate to jump in after the dog. Undercurrents and freezing cold temps can make things very difficult very fast, sad situation.

RIP
Paul333
5/7/2018 4:28am
Very sad news. He was one of our sports finest.
a22
5/7/2018 4:44am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 5:17am
Question wrote:

Probably exactly the thinking which made him not hesitate to jump in after the dog. Undercurrents and freezing cold temps can make things very difficult very...
Probably exactly the thinking which made him not hesitate to jump in after the dog. Undercurrents and freezing cold temps can make things very difficult very fast, sad situation.

RIP
People sometimes think you die from Hypothermia over a period of time but the sudden temp change on the body shocks it so much it can kill you within one minute or seconds even- the sensation causes you to gasp with shock and then you often gulp water with the gasp of shock to the body instead of air. Is meant to be one of the most serious sudden shocks you could put on your body. Called 'Cold Water Shock'- lethal load on the heart and body.
Sometimes the person may gulp water from the shock and drown but also instant Heart Attack can occur before drowning even.
I guess one doesn't think in these situations, because you do not have time to think when you are preoccupied about saving the little dog and react instantly. I would have tried to save the little fella also as many on here also would have.

edit... if you are able to survive the initial shock longer than a minute then your chances of survival increase. More people die of CWS than hypothermia in water fatalities I believe.
ruy
5/7/2018 4:59am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 9:06am
Very sad, a rider that I saw in two GPs in 125cc in Mongay (Spain) I still have a photo when in one of them he was in his first 125 world title and when he made the finish line he did it standing on the motorcycle seat and without hands the handlebar, something unforgettable, the only rider in a curve you heard before seeing it go out, by the gas that he gave to the bike.
Great memories of a great champion.
DeStouwer
5/7/2018 5:39am
They found his body. RIP Mr 875! Sad

Post a reply to: RIP Eric Geboers

The Latest