Reedy/WMG Split

resetjet
11/7/2017 5:02pm
I wonder why reed made this thank you goodbye tweet.......What's the angle?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
11/7/2017 5:20pm
newmann wrote:
What if said lawyer doesn’t know where or how much money there is in MX and SX? Which riders have nailed their own solid deals? I...
What if said lawyer doesn’t know where or how much money there is in MX and SX? Which riders have nailed their own solid deals?

I keep reading here how Big James has burned so many bridges...
You dont think guys talk? You don't think Dungey knew his value?
APLMAN99
11/7/2017 5:43pm
newmann wrote:
What if said lawyer doesn’t know where or how much money there is in MX and SX? Which riders have nailed their own solid deals? I...
What if said lawyer doesn’t know where or how much money there is in MX and SX? Which riders have nailed their own solid deals?

UpTiTe wrote:
Pro ball players try to be their own agents every now and then, and their peers have their "value" published and public knowledge. Usually it doesn't work out all that well for the athlete. Russell Okung was a good example of a Pro Bowl, Super Bowl winning player who thought that he'd just hire a lawyer for a few hours to review a contract that he negotiated himself. Total disaster.

I'm not sure what percentage the MX guys are paying, but stick and ball sports are usually capped pretty low, like 5% or less. At that point it definitely makes sense to have a pro negotiator working to not only get you the maximum "value", but also to negotiate terms that help guarantee that you actually get that money in the event something bad happens, or keeps you able to negotiate other endorsements, etc.
tcallahan707
11/7/2017 5:52pm
It’s no different than hiring a good real estate agent. It’s someone who’s going to go to bat for you, make sure your ass if covered legally, is clued into the market, has negotiation skills, etc... its up to you to determine if the value added is worth the expense by doing your due diligence but in most cases, it’s best to let the professionals do the work, unless you have a unique set of skills that can make up for it. For sale by owners typically net less than they would have with an agent. Same concept with a sports agent.

The Shop

kkawboy14
11/7/2017 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2017 6:33pm
Most people don’t need lawyers for the Marriage but a contract lawyer is definitely needed for the Divorce! So if you have a good contract for the marriage, the divorce is a lot smoother.
willie838
11/7/2017 7:05pm
jemcee wrote:
Same.. Also hates his agent for being a successful agent with other clients.. I also thought maybe the agent didn't go to his wedding cause he's...
Same.. Also hates his agent for being a successful agent with other clients..

I also thought maybe the agent didn't go to his wedding cause he's a miserable prick
-MAVERICK- wrote:
His agent fucked him over. Nothing to do with his agent being successful at his job. Take the time and read it again. He was given...
His agent fucked him over. Nothing to do with his agent being successful at his job. Take the time and read it again. He was given part ownership of The Familie and when Astephen decided to sell it he wrote Jones out of the company and then told him he was no longer part owner. No idea how much Astephen sold The Familie for but that's besides the point. It's just unethical.

Started the company in 1998 with Jones and sold it in 2003. I'm sure he sold it for a pretty penny considering that he was the leader in that segment and at the time he had guys like Dave Mirra, Ryan Nyquist, Bob Burnquist, Bucky Lasek, Carey Hart, Travis Pastrana as athletes among others who were at the top of their game. He also did marketing for big corporate sponsors like AT&T, Burger King, Coca-Cola, Butterfinger, Powerade, DC Shoes, Puma, etc. Those are all big name people and companies. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy either if you helped him get started, build a company and then told "Hey I sold the company but you were no longer part of it".

Sure, Astephen had power of attorney for Jones to take care of his things but when he saw dollar signs he wrote him out of the company and basically told him to fuck off.
jemcee wrote:
Yeah I get that it's unethical but how much work did they each put in to the company to make it what it was (it might...
Yeah I get that it's unethical but how much work did they each put in to the company to make it what it was (it might not matter but still) seems to me Astephen did everything and Jones snowboarded and not much else it could've been part of the contract.. Jones doesn't seem like much of a reader of the fine print (me neither)

And I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you sell the company you worked your arse off to build into a success to then have the partner that did absolutely nothing (I'm assuming haha) say you fucked him over..

Seems like a two sides to every story kinda deal
oddly enough,

that sounds a little si,ilar to the whining linkogle did ver the metal mulisha
11/7/2017 7:09pm
DC wrote:
Apparently, it ended well between Chad and WMG... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/07/223786/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_11_07_at_3.40.48_PM.jpg[/img] DC Racer X
Apparently, it ended well between Chad and WMG...

DC
Racer X
Because we all know, if its on IG, you can take it to the bank! FACTS
11/7/2017 7:12pm
I mean come on, Chad was my favourite rider for 15 plus years but everything Chad does has an angle..

I'm still skeptical about the ankle injury, Chad riding a 2 stroke and NO ONE has footage of this 'crash'?
then we see a a billion pics and posts about a little ankle injury? sussssssssssssss
11/7/2017 7:14pm
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies...
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies instagram.
oshow wrote:
You know there is an unfollow button right?
You know its almost like this is a forum where people have an opinion, right?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/7/2017 7:29pm
68 wrote:
I mean come on, Chad was my favourite rider for 15 plus years but everything Chad does has an angle.. I'm still skeptical about the ankle...
I mean come on, Chad was my favourite rider for 15 plus years but everything Chad does has an angle..

I'm still skeptical about the ankle injury, Chad riding a 2 stroke and NO ONE has footage of this 'crash'?
then we see a a billion pics and posts about a little ankle injury? sussssssssssssss
TF you talking about a little ankle injury? He had surgery and had hardware put in order to have it fixed. It's not like he tripped and sprained it.
therealhammer
11/7/2017 7:36pm
68 wrote:
I mean come on, Chad was my favourite rider for 15 plus years but everything Chad does has an angle.. I'm still skeptical about the ankle...

Because there is somehow upside to faking an injury ??? I put the event on and was looking forward to having Chad compete more than anyone. You can retire your conspiracy hat, you have failed.
kkawboy14
11/7/2017 7:38pm
68 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
TF you talking about a little ankle injury? He had surgery and had hardware put in order to have it fixed. It's not like he tripped...
TF you talking about a little ankle injury? He had surgery and had hardware put in order to have it fixed. It's not like he tripped and sprained it.
Quit adding real facts!

Plus he didn’t crash, I thought I watched the video where he came up short on that big booter section?
newmann
11/7/2017 7:43pm
newmann wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:
Don't know, I'm in a totally unrelated field thousands of miles away. You've got an inside line to what goes on being involved in and around the sport so you see things from a different view. I do remember Dungey coming across as somewhat shy and very humble in person about the time he hit the pro ranks. Early on and from first impressions, I could see him undervaluing himself. Having O'Mara standing next to him gave me the sense that others saw that value and were looking out for his best interests at the time.
oshow
11/7/2017 9:11pm
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies...
in other news it really seems like he is milking the ankle injury. about a post a day of the boot on either his or ellies instagram.
oshow wrote:
You know there is an unfollow button right?
68 wrote:
You know its almost like this is a forum where people have an opinion, right?
Stupid opinions yes I know... kind of like yours
11/8/2017 12:31am
yeah i’m suprised i havnt read more talk about the “reed taking a class” aspect of the interview he gave recently and what that might entail. i’m sure it’s related to something he will be doing after racing

or maybe i missed the chatter
jbutton
11/8/2017 8:37am
UpTiTe wrote:
Are you going to tell me a rider couldn't hire a lawyer part time to do his bidding at 500 an hour, and then hire a...
Are you going to tell me a rider couldn't hire a lawyer part time to do his bidding at 500 an hour, and then hire a personal assistant to cover the day to day?

Are you going to tell me that the "good ole boy club" doesn't do deals like "I'll take your guy onto this team for this and next season, if you can get a deal for my guy over the next two years as well"?

Are you going to tell me that there isn't preditory guys out there telling parents how great their kids are going to be while taking their money?

I could go on, but you get the gist

Do you really feel a guy making 250k needs a manager?

How did top guys as recent as ten years ago negotiate their contracts and then have lawyers to look over them and save 10-15% of their money .before having a manager became trendy?

You say you have guys on staff that know law, why dont I just hire them and save 10-15%?

Look, I'm not bashing you, I just dont see the need for riders to give up so much money to have a guy whispering in his ear how great he is. If managers were so important, and needed to put together the BIG deals, why is Reed now using a guy who has never been a manager doing his bidding? kinda makes you think huh?

I will address each of these and hopefully it will clear the air and shed some light. Im not sure why you're so hell bent on this but here is what I can tell you.

Q: Are you going to tell me a rider couldn't hire a lawyer part time to do his bidding at 500 an hour, and then hire a personal assistant to cover the day to day?

A: A rider can 100% do exactly what you've put forward, but here are the pitfalls. So you hire a lawyer who doesn't know the ebb and flow of the sport. Doesn't quite understand why some guys are making more than others regardless of final championship position. In having him/her do this they might go in hard and ask for unrealistic numbers and could possibly burn some bridges which otherwise might not happen. Also, in knowing each team manager/owner etc. you have the ability to often times favorably bend the negotiation in your clients favor. Lets just say, through all of this the guy/girl spends 30-50 hrs working on the deals (bike gear, drink, others) and you're sitting with a $15-30K bill. Now move over to the personal assistant. Anyone worth hiring isn't going to be cheap, so you might be spending $40-75K for someone with expenses, travel, etc. With that said you are spending somewhere in the $55-105K range (regardless of your income). Lets also assume if you have an agent you're paying 10%, which means you would be making anywhere from $550K to just over $1M per year to equal going the other route. In the situation of an attorney and an assistant you do not have someone working for you searching for other deals the remainder of the year. You don't have an agency behind that receives hundred of call and opportunities per month that might be a great fit. Your options end up being somewhat limited, yet you might very well be spending more cubic dollars than having an agency working for you. Also, there are a ton of other services that an athlete receive when he has a proper legitimate agency working for him/her. Now, you might be the next RC, MC, RV, of RD and don't need anyone in your view because you're winning everything and your phone/email is blown up everyday with opportunities. But.... thats not really reality, and all of those riders except MC had help even before they went Pro.

Q: Are you going to tell me that the "good ole boy club" doesn't do deals like "I'll take your guy onto this team for this and next season, if you can get a deal for my guy over the next two years as well"?

A: I can tell you 100% that this does not happen. I have yet to see this in SX/MX in my professional career. You have a fiduciary duty to each client to work for them regardless of who your other clients might be. Leveraging one for another is massively unethical.

Q: Are you going to tell me that there isn't preditory guys out there telling parents how great their kids are going to be while taking their money?

A: Im sure there are, and shame on them for it. What I can tell you about our business at WMG is that we do not commission Amateurs, never have never will. We look at Amateurs as an investment on our end and that while they are Amateurs we can help mold them into even better representatives of the brands they will be ambassadors of. Also, I can't tell you how many times we have loaned Amateur families money without any interest to help them through the amateur years.

Q: Do you really feel a guy making 250k needs a manager?

A: Yes, yes I do. Lets just say that without an agent that number is only $150-175. Even after a commission you are still ahead of the game, have had an agreement negotiated with the best terms possible, and sets your value higher than you could have done yourself. Plus you or your family have not had the stress and angst in going through the process.

Q: How did top guys as recent as ten years ago negotiate their contracts and then have lawyers to look over them and save 10-15% of their money .before having a manager became trendy?

A: They didn't. I would say every top rider since about '99 or so has had representation. Agents were really just getting started in the business right around the time of my last contract. I had help as far back as 1995, hand without the help I received from Dave Stephenson I would have never had a ride after I was not resigned by Suzuki at the end of 1994, a year in which I had 3 wins and something like 9 or 10 podiums. Im not really sure its trendy, but just good business.

Q: You say you have guys on staff that know law, why dont I just hire them and save 10-15%?

A: Be my guest, but our attorneys don't have 20-30 year relationships with the people in the industry at the level we do.

Q: Look, I'm not bashing you, I just dont see the need for riders to give up so much money to have a guy whispering in his ear how great he is. If managers were so important, and needed to put together the BIG deals, why is Reed now using a guy who has never been a manager doing his bidding? kinda makes you think huh?

A: I have no issue with you at all. I just think your view of this is not clear, and honestly a rider is free to do whatever he or she feels like doing. Im 100% certain nobody has ever held a gun to an athletes head to sign a management contract.

I hope that maybe you see things a bit differently now. There might be some predatory managers out there, but they don't work for us. We have a business that is now the largest in the industry, have been named global agency of the year, and have Fortune 50 clients. We take all of this very seriously as our clients have a given window of time to maximize their earning potential.
Tracktor
11/8/2017 9:13am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 9:14am
Riders who can barely do coherent podium interviews are suddenly capable of negotiating 6+ figure contracts? BRILLIANT! Successful people try and stick to the part of their skill set which generates the most income. Riders = riding. Attorneys/agents = negotiating legal contracts. One of the biggest issues we hear about is contracts between riders/teams/sponsors being broken and not correctly written. Now all of a sudden some people think it's a good idea for guys who haven't finished a decent schooling system to be agreeing to the legalese in them?.............................
CHaynes
11/8/2017 9:37am
All this talk and not one person has spoken about commission to the agents. There's a reason for the split, dollars and cents. As Reed is moving into the twilight days of his career, every dollar counts, think about that. Steve and the crew at WMG are great agents with a HUGE portfolio of satisfied clients. But unlike other professional sports that have caps on the percentages an agent can make (I believe NFL is 4%), there are no limits in action sports. Some folks get a bigger slice of the pie, plain and simple.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
11/8/2017 10:49am
UpTiTe wrote:
Are you going to tell me a rider couldn't hire a lawyer part time to do his bidding at 500 an hour, and then hire a...
Are you going to tell me a rider couldn't hire a lawyer part time to do his bidding at 500 an hour, and then hire a personal assistant to cover the day to day?

Are you going to tell me that the "good ole boy club" doesn't do deals like "I'll take your guy onto this team for this and next season, if you can get a deal for my guy over the next two years as well"?

Are you going to tell me that there isn't preditory guys out there telling parents how great their kids are going to be while taking their money?

How did top guys as recent as ten years ago negotiate their contracts and then have lawyers to look over them and save 10-15% of their money .before having a manager became trendy?

You say you have guys on staff that know law, why dont I just hire them and save 10-15%?

Look, I'm not bashing you, I just dont see the need for riders to give up so much money to have a guy whispering in his ear how great he is. If managers were so important, and needed to put together the BIG deals, why is Reed now using a guy who has never been a manager doing his bidding? kinda makes you think huh?

jbutton wrote:
I will address each of these and hopefully it will clear the air and shed some light. Im not sure why you're so hell bent on...
I will address each of these and hopefully it will clear the air and shed some light. Im not sure why you're so hell bent on this but here is what I can tell you.

Q: Are you going to tell me a rider couldn't hire a lawyer part time to do his bidding at 500 an hour, and then hire a personal assistant to cover the day to day?

A: A rider can 100% do exactly what you've put forward, but here are the pitfalls. So you hire a lawyer who doesn't know the ebb and flow of the sport. Doesn't quite understand why some guys are making more than others regardless of final championship position. In having him/her do this they might go in hard and ask for unrealistic numbers and could possibly burn some bridges which otherwise might not happen. Also, in knowing each team manager/owner etc. you have the ability to often times favorably bend the negotiation in your clients favor. Lets just say, through all of this the guy/girl spends 30-50 hrs working on the deals (bike gear, drink, others) and you're sitting with a $15-30K bill. Now move over to the personal assistant. Anyone worth hiring isn't going to be cheap, so you might be spending $40-75K for someone with expenses, travel, etc. With that said you are spending somewhere in the $55-105K range (regardless of your income). Lets also assume if you have an agent you're paying 10%, which means you would be making anywhere from $550K to just over $1M per year to equal going the other route. In the situation of an attorney and an assistant you do not have someone working for you searching for other deals the remainder of the year. You don't have an agency behind that receives hundred of call and opportunities per month that might be a great fit. Your options end up being somewhat limited, yet you might very well be spending more cubic dollars than having an agency working for you. Also, there are a ton of other services that an athlete receive when he has a proper legitimate agency working for him/her. Now, you might be the next RC, MC, RV, of RD and don't need anyone in your view because you're winning everything and your phone/email is blown up everyday with opportunities. But.... thats not really reality, and all of those riders except MC had help even before they went Pro.

Q: Are you going to tell me that the "good ole boy club" doesn't do deals like "I'll take your guy onto this team for this and next season, if you can get a deal for my guy over the next two years as well"?

A: I can tell you 100% that this does not happen. I have yet to see this in SX/MX in my professional career. You have a fiduciary duty to each client to work for them regardless of who your other clients might be. Leveraging one for another is massively unethical.

Q: Are you going to tell me that there isn't preditory guys out there telling parents how great their kids are going to be while taking their money?

A: Im sure there are, and shame on them for it. What I can tell you about our business at WMG is that we do not commission Amateurs, never have never will. We look at Amateurs as an investment on our end and that while they are Amateurs we can help mold them into even better representatives of the brands they will be ambassadors of. Also, I can't tell you how many times we have loaned Amateur families money without any interest to help them through the amateur years.

A: Yes, yes I do. Lets just say that without an agent that number is only $150-175. Even after a commission you are still ahead of the game, have had an agreement negotiated with the best terms possible, and sets your value higher than you could have done yourself. Plus you or your family have not had the stress and angst in going through the process.

Q: How did top guys as recent as ten years ago negotiate their contracts and then have lawyers to look over them and save 10-15% of their money .before having a manager became trendy?

A: They didn't. I would say every top rider since about '99 or so has had representation. Agents were really just getting started in the business right around the time of my last contract. I had help as far back as 1995, hand without the help I received from Dave Stephenson I would have never had a ride after I was not resigned by Suzuki at the end of 1994, a year in which I had 3 wins and something like 9 or 10 podiums. Im not really sure its trendy, but just good business.

Q: You say you have guys on staff that know law, why dont I just hire them and save 10-15%?

A: Be my guest, but our attorneys don't have 20-30 year relationships with the people in the industry at the level we do.

Q: Look, I'm not bashing you, I just dont see the need for riders to give up so much money to have a guy whispering in his ear how great he is. If managers were so important, and needed to put together the BIG deals, why is Reed now using a guy who has never been a manager doing his bidding? kinda makes you think huh?

A: I have no issue with you at all. I just think your view of this is not clear, and honestly a rider is free to do whatever he or she feels like doing. Im 100% certain nobody has ever held a gun to an athletes head to sign a management contract.

I hope that maybe you see things a bit differently now. There might be some predatory managers out there, but they don't work for us. We have a business that is now the largest in the industry, have been named global agency of the year, and have Fortune 50 clients. We take all of this very seriously as our clients have a given window of time to maximize their earning potential.
Thanks for the answers.

I will end with this, if my son ever needs a manager I wouldn't hesitate to give you a call, you've made very good points and are very well spoken. But it doesn't change that fact that there are some shady guys in your business, but I guess that's just life.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
11/8/2017 10:52am
Tracktor wrote:
Riders who can barely do coherent podium interviews are suddenly capable of negotiating 6+ figure contracts? BRILLIANT! Successful people try and stick to the part of...
Riders who can barely do coherent podium interviews are suddenly capable of negotiating 6+ figure contracts? BRILLIANT! Successful people try and stick to the part of their skill set which generates the most income. Riders = riding. Attorneys/agents = negotiating legal contracts. One of the biggest issues we hear about is contracts between riders/teams/sponsors being broken and not correctly written. Now all of a sudden some people think it's a good idea for guys who haven't finished a decent schooling system to be agreeing to the legalese in them?.............................
One person I wouldn't call to help me understand a contract is you, you don't even understand my post. Nobody ever said to have a writer negotiate his own contracts.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/8/2017 11:37am
UpTiTe wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I will end with this, if my son ever needs a manager I wouldn't hesitate to give you a call, you've made...
Thanks for the answers.

I will end with this, if my son ever needs a manager I wouldn't hesitate to give you a call, you've made very good points and are very well spoken. But it doesn't change that fact that there are some shady guys in your business, but I guess that's just life.
To be fair, there's shady people in every type of business. You just to do your reasearch and work with the right people. Like you said, that's life.
kkawboy14
11/8/2017 11:39am
UpTiTe wrote:

jbutton wrote:
I will address each of these and hopefully it will clear the air and shed some light. Im not sure why you're so hell bent on...

Excellent answers and good job not taking this stuf personally. Classy!
Tracktor
11/8/2017 11:48am
Tracktor wrote:
Riders who can barely do coherent podium interviews are suddenly capable of negotiating 6+ figure contracts? BRILLIANT! Successful people try and stick to the part of...
UpTiTe wrote:
One person I wouldn't call to help me understand a contract is you, you don't even understand my post. Nobody ever said to have a writer...
One person I wouldn't call to help me understand a contract is you, you don't even understand my post. Nobody ever said to have a writer negotiate his own contracts.
I would hope not? It isn't an income generating activity for me so I would be losing substantial amounts of money by doing so. My business isn't a charity. I do find it funny that you felt it was all directed at you, though.
I'll assume you meant rider so I will clarify - I do understand what you are going for however again my point is that the rider has to be more involved without the agent or he wouldn't be saving money, correct? In your scenario he is replacing a portion of the skill set needed and replacing it with his own and only paying for the legal portion to save in fees. I feel if you are good enough rider to "need" representation then your time is better spent honing your craft (income generating) and letting someone with specific expertise deal with the rest.
We do agree on the shady side which was a big part of my post. Very common for riders to get taken advantage of which accentuates the need for honest representation.............

Post a reply to: Reedy/WMG Split

The Latest