Reynard Raceway Practice - SHORT Drone Footage 1-4-20

O&GDriller
My 28 year old son and I went riding this past Saturday, 1/4/20 at Robbie's in Wellston, OK. I thought some might enjoy some cool drone footage of the track/layout and my son on the black/blue KTM for a bit prior to him exiting track. What a day to ride!!!! First week of January in Oklahoma and nearly 60 degrees, no wind and a properly prepped track. It was a good day. Just look at that dirt/track!!! TRACK PREP PERFECTION PERSONIFIED! If you pause it at various points you can see most of Robbie's outdoor track. Robbie was at A1 so his dad Robert did the prep. Not bad work for an old coot.

I asked the drone operator why he didn’t get any footage of my 59 year old ass. He stated I was too fast for the drone to keep up and when I was within range I was too fast for the drone’s shutter speed to capture me…. ;-)

If you jack the resolution up to HD/1080p it looks much better...

|
rbm33
Fantasy
1901st
1/6/2020 10:20am
I was there that day and saw the drone flying. Reynard was riding really good, Robert not Robbie!Grinning
O&GDriller
1/6/2020 11:40am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 11:53am
rbm33 wrote:
I was there that day and saw the drone flying. Reynard was riding really good, Robert not Robbie!Grinning
Robert is one of the charter riders in our "vet" rider group. There are about a dozen of us and we ride every weekend year round. I believe Robert is the oldest in our group at 64 years old. The kicker is Robert is also the fastest in our vet group. He rides somewhat like Robbie as far as being smooth and in control of the bike. He rarely sits down even after the apex of heavily rutted corners and the rougher the track the more Robert relishes it.

A lot of people don't realize that Robert held a Pro license years ago after serving in the military and he and his wife Liz agreed they'd give it a go at 100% effort for a year to try and make a living as a Pro. The year ended and along came a little bundle of joy named Robbie, however, a paid ride never materialized. Robert had to give up his dream of being a "working/employed" Pro and got a "real" job to feed the family.

Robert is a true friend who goes out of his way to help anybody needing help. He more often than not provides his "help" out of the goodness of his heart and the detriment to his wallet.

Sort of funny that Robert is a smart ass who loves telling tall tales. He admits his tales are tall as he's a racer at heart. As such, Robert states if his lips are moving he's lying. Robert has coached my son depicted in the video above for over the past 10 years and has made him into a smooth, fast and in control rider. Robert NEVER asked nor would he accept any money for his work with my son. Not a bad deal to have the same coach who taught Robbie how to ride coach my son. I'm honored to call him a good friend. The Reynard's are really, really, really good people.
mb60
1/6/2020 11:43am
Does Robbie own the old Cooper Land or is that another location ?

The Shop

O&GDriller
1/6/2020 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 12:25pm
mb60 wrote:
Does Robbie own the old Cooper Land or is that another location ?
The Reynard Training Complex (RTC)/Reynard Raceway has nothing to do with Cooperland. Robbie's place is in Wellston, OK which is about 40 miles from where Cooperland used to be located. Guy Cooper used to own Cooperland but it's been closed for years and I don't believe Guy or his family still own the property.

Robbie bought his property/track/house from Chan Baker who was an owner of a number of motorcycle ventures including Baker Boys Yamaha dealership. The MX community is a small community. Robbie/Reynard Training Complex is currently training Chan Baker's son Chandler who is one of those go-fast kids looking to make it as a Pro.

I believe Chandler is 15 and he hauls the mail. Chandler is hoping for a great week at Loretta's and with Robbie's coaching he has what he needs from a trainer perspective. Chandler could use some help on the equipment side as he's often hindered by his bike(s) breaking. Kid is strong and rides hard. Last year at Loretta's he suffered from equipment breakage.

Same thing happened to Chandler a couple months ago at Ponca. He won his first moto only for have a mechanical his second. Kid is getting demoralized. He's putting in the work but money is tight making it difficult on the equipment side. Hell, I'm constantly pointing out broken or worn out parts on his practice bike.
vetmxr
1/6/2020 5:23pm
love that place......plus every now and then robbie goes out and shreds ............wow
O&GDriller
1/6/2020 6:58pm
Robbie is still scary fast and smooth as ever. Saying he's fun to watch is an understatement. It's interesting that Trey can run 30 minute motos on the outdoor track or 20 minutes on one of the SX tracks turning what would be podium lap times with the 2020 field. It's fun seeing Trey enjoying himself testing for Honda with a smile on his face enjoying life somewhat injury and pain free.
LappedU
1/6/2020 7:05pm
Dude needs to learn how to fly a drone!
ledger
1/6/2020 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 8:53pm
The track looks to be a lot of fun, and I know from personal experience when Oklahoma dirt/red dirt/clay is prepped correctly...it's like Moto Heaven. I lived in Owasso Ok for almost twenty year's and turned quite a few lap's at Extreme MX in Tulsa on 56 St...good times !! Any idea if they'll ever re-open EMX ? last time I drove by there it looked like a ghost town.
Gworm
1/7/2020 5:39am
I.m gonna have to head down there soon. Looks fun.
O&GDriller
1/8/2020 8:59am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2020 9:12am
Gworm wrote:
I.m gonna have to head down there soon. Looks fun.
You'd be well served to call before you haul as the track isn't generally open to the public. It's mainly ridden by Reynard Training Complex riders Robbie is training or "friends and family". Our vet group includes his dad Robert so we get invited to ride. Sometimes I think Robbie preps and puts up with us just so his dad will have people his age to ride with. We joke that Saturday's are "Vet Prep" days just for us. During the week he does "Pro Prep" which makes for a challenging and DEEP, fairly wet track.

I see "new" local faces and out-of-state riders on a very regular basis, however, they contacted prior to hauling to check/ask if riding is possible. It REALLY helps if you know somebody who can vouch for you as Robbie doesn't have time for drama or stupid/rude riders. He doesn't want some Gomer/Goon doing something stupid on track and taking out one of his Pro's or students. When we ride it's open practice so we know enough to hold our lines when we're about to be smoked.
Racerx930
1/8/2020 5:28pm
Is Jim Thomas still racing?
Jim is my uncle, he swears last year was his last year... But he hasn't sold any of his bikes.
Bultaco
1/8/2020 6:27pm
Looks good. Used to live in Sapulpa, ride local MX all the Blackjack Series and was the Part Manager at a Tulsa Honda Dealership. (Early 80’s). It is good to hear you guys talking about Oklahoma and knobbies. Lots of good riding there. I miss it.

Post a reply to: Reynard Raceway Practice - SHORT Drone Footage 1-4-20

The Latest