Riders not getting paid for Moto 10

Dblaine827
Edited Date/Time 11/8/2018 1:25pm
My friend sent me this screen shot from rookstool about Moto 10. Guess it has been removed now but my question is do riders not get paid for these movies any more? I thought back in the day they used to get paid but not now I guess.

|
24x
11/8/2018 7:49am
Did he negotiate payment before filming or is he upset now that he realizes he should have been paid?
ga_pike
11/8/2018 7:59am
Do you want these movies and video games to go away? Because that's how you make these go away. Just ask EA Sports and the NCAA college football players.
Dblaine827
11/8/2018 8:03am
I dont want them to go away, am just curious if they get paid or not. I thought the exposure alone would be enough as you are able to get sponsors and what not so you get paid just not directly.
tprice07
11/8/2018 8:03am
I'm assuming he signed a video release considering they were directly filming him. Sounds like he or his agent need to work out better deals in the future.

The Shop

ayearinmx
11/8/2018 8:04am
Do riders pay the photographers and videographers every time they put something on their instagram?
Kawikid121
11/8/2018 8:13am
ayearinmx wrote:
Do riders pay the photographers and videographers every time they put something on their instagram?
because an instagram page is the same thing as a production film with the sole purpose to make money. Makes sense
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/8/2018 8:33am
I believe he's been in Moto movies before and he was posting on IG when they filmed it. In most cases, there isn't near enough budget to pay riders to be in a riding flick, there's barely any money in action sports films without the backing of a huge energy drink... As a rider, you can use being in a movie to leverage against getting some sponsors. Hey brand X I'm going to be doing a few local races, social media blasts and appearing in one or two moto movies this season can I get X.
Motox627!
11/8/2018 8:48am
He's living in DRW. He's good...………
RandyS
11/8/2018 9:27am
Do magazines pay the riders every time they use them to make money? Magazines and videos provide riders a chance to be seen, that makes them able to go out and get sponsors to pay for photos and screen time. Unless the rider has a piece of the video they have never been paid. Do you really think videos are making truckloads of money today?
TJMX947
11/8/2018 9:48am
I always thought it was cool how Surf brands will put their riders up in houses on famous breaks in Hawaii with the sole purpose of that rider getting their picture taken day in and day out and published in magazines/social media.
GregDVT
11/8/2018 10:29am
ga_pike wrote:
Do you want these movies and video games to go away? Because that's how you make these go away. Just ask EA Sports and the NCAA...
Do you want these movies and video games to go away? Because that's how you make these go away. Just ask EA Sports and the NCAA college football players.
As much as I miss NCAA football games, The NCAA makes a ridiculous amount of money off of those players and has pretty much made it illegal for them to even see a dime of it.

Im wouldn't be surprised when barcia or dungey or osborne were in these videos their team gave them some small bonus for the extra exposure.
DR176
11/8/2018 10:29am
Long post alert but I’m one of the directors of 10. Myself and my best friend made Moto 9 and 10 for the originator of the series. Anyway, Rookie is a really good guy, and over the last couple years that I’ve been filming the series myself and the other Co-director have become good buddies with him. Both those Instagram posts were just friendly digs that can be totally taken out of context. We spent a week filming his part all throughout Oregon and gave each other friendly jabs the whole time as friends do, so that’s where that all spawned from. Rookie was at our sold out Portland premiere last night where he got to see his part for the first time in front of 400 people so that was pretty cool.
As far as paying riders is concerned... Man, I wish we could, but unfortunately Financially it’s really not possible these days. A few of the guys work it out in their contracts to have perks to be featured in films, because at the end of the day it is good exposure for them. Next year, moving on to a new series, we are going to try and work more 1 on 1 with the riders sponsors to help make that more of a regular thing as that’s how all the other extreme sports industries work. we also have some sponsors that are interested in sponsoring riders solely for their involvement in the movie. It’s a partnership between us and the riders and we want to make it feel as worth it as possible for them because at the end of the day that just creates bad ass content when everyone is into it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/8/2018 10:41am
Every rider I have ever know is a ham and will do anything to get filmed. Set up a camera at any track and just watch what happens . WinkCoolCool
peelout
11/8/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2018 11:06am
i wonder how much Seth got paid to completely destroy himself all those years

11/8/2018 11:04am
DR176 wrote:
Long post alert but I’m one of the directors of 10. Myself and my best friend made Moto 9 and 10 for the originator of the...
Long post alert but I’m one of the directors of 10. Myself and my best friend made Moto 9 and 10 for the originator of the series. Anyway, Rookie is a really good guy, and over the last couple years that I’ve been filming the series myself and the other Co-director have become good buddies with him. Both those Instagram posts were just friendly digs that can be totally taken out of context. We spent a week filming his part all throughout Oregon and gave each other friendly jabs the whole time as friends do, so that’s where that all spawned from. Rookie was at our sold out Portland premiere last night where he got to see his part for the first time in front of 400 people so that was pretty cool.
As far as paying riders is concerned... Man, I wish we could, but unfortunately Financially it’s really not possible these days. A few of the guys work it out in their contracts to have perks to be featured in films, because at the end of the day it is good exposure for them. Next year, moving on to a new series, we are going to try and work more 1 on 1 with the riders sponsors to help make that more of a regular thing as that’s how all the other extreme sports industries work. we also have some sponsors that are interested in sponsoring riders solely for their involvement in the movie. It’s a partnership between us and the riders and we want to make it feel as worth it as possible for them because at the end of the day that just creates bad ass content when everyone is into it.
"Both those Instagram posts were just friendly digs that can totally be taken out of context"

And because this is vital, that's exactly what happened. Honestly embarrassing to be on this site sometimes.

But kudos to you for a great production on Moto 9 and I can't wait to see Moto 10. What you guys do keeps the sport alive.
MotoMo165
11/8/2018 11:04am
Never even heard of this guy until now. Glad he changed his tone from the original post otherwise he’d be less popular than before ha
Motox627!
11/8/2018 11:10am
DR176 wrote:
Long post alert but I’m one of the directors of 10. Myself and my best friend made Moto 9 and 10 for the originator of the...
Where all did you guys film around Bend? I'm from there and that one shot he posted looks alot like China Hat. Some epic riding in those areas if they just got rain!!
DR176
11/8/2018 11:21am
Motox627! wrote:
Where all did you guys film around Bend? I'm from there and that one shot he posted looks alot like China Hat. Some epic riding in...
Where all did you guys film around Bend? I'm from there and that one shot he posted looks alot like China Hat. Some epic riding in those areas if they just got rain!!
Yup that was China hat! It was torture to not be able to ride there, that place was awesome. We also filmed up in Roseberg as well which was another place I hope to be able to check out someday on a bike.
DR176
11/8/2018 11:23am
"Both those Instagram posts were just friendly digs that can totally be taken out of context" And because this is vital, that's exactly what happened. Honestly...
"Both those Instagram posts were just friendly digs that can totally be taken out of context"

And because this is vital, that's exactly what happened. Honestly embarrassing to be on this site sometimes.

But kudos to you for a great production on Moto 9 and I can't wait to see Moto 10. What you guys do keeps the sport alive.
Thanks man I appreciate it. I do invite everyone to check out 10 because I think we took a step forward with some things that make me excited for what’s to come. Or at least go to the vital home page and give the Carson brown segment a watch. The kid is so talented and had watched the MOTO series every day, multiple times a day, growing up and always dreamed of being in the movie. It was pretty special.
Premixed112
11/8/2018 11:26am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2018 11:34am
If you’ve ever done any sort of creative work in the motocross industry, you know that a lot of the time the people CREATING the content aren’t even getting paid. We need to fix that first and foremost, because it’s a pretty broken system for photographers and filmers in this sport
newmann
11/8/2018 11:46am
DR176 wrote:
"Both those Instagram posts were just friendly digs that can totally be taken out of context" And because this is vital, that's exactly what happened. Honestly...

Easily taken out of context if you weren't part of the "in crowd". Might want to throw in a "just kidding" next time for the ones out of the loop. "Just sayin"Wink
Motox627!
11/8/2018 12:34pm
Motox627! wrote:
Where all did you guys film around Bend? I'm from there and that one shot he posted looks alot like China Hat. Some epic riding in...
DR176 wrote:
Yup that was China hat! It was torture to not be able to ride there, that place was awesome. We also filmed up in Roseberg as...
Yup that was China hat! It was torture to not be able to ride there, that place was awesome. We also filmed up in Roseberg as well which was another place I hope to be able to check out someday on a bike.
If you are ever back in that area, look up Big Lake Recreational area. Its about an hour west of Bend on top of the Santiam Pass. You can only ride it during the summer months because it turns into snowmobile trails during the winter, but holy shit is it amazing! Trails for miles and miles with Mt. Washington so close it looks like you could touch it. Every so often you come across volcanic sand pits and its like riding on the dunes!
JM485
11/8/2018 12:37pm
This thread is exactly why riders walk on egg shells all the time, you post one joke and next thing you know some moran has it posted on Vital completely out of context. . .

Want riders to show personality? Then stop putting every stupid little thing under a microscope.
liver
11/8/2018 12:56pm
my poohsee hurts
11/8/2018 1:09pm
The normal bullshit part at the end makes it sound like it wasn’t a joke so I don’t think anyone on vital is to blame for the misinterpretation

Post a reply to: Riders not getting paid for Moto 10

The Latest