Riding Talent THEN vs NOW

Bermworm
11/29/2017 2:22pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
That's funny. When you said then vs now, I thought you were going to compare now to like 30 or 40 years ago. I still consider...
That's funny. When you said then vs now, I thought you were going to compare now to like 30 or 40 years ago. I still consider the early 2000's as now.
Yup
peelout
11/29/2017 2:30pm
i used to crash a lot. i still do, but i used to, too
TeamGreen
11/29/2017 2:33pm
peelout wrote:
i used to crash a lot. i still do, but i used to, too
O, I B!
deluxeman
11/29/2017 4:17pm
cable wrote:
JS7 spoiled us for another 10-20 yrs
I am going to disagree a little but just a little on that point. JS7 was "The Man" in his time. Unfortunately his time is over now. In all sports, there is a guy that sets the standard for his era, then along comes the next generation and they watch and learn and add . They take over where the old guard left off. MX is nothing different, Stewart has boatloads of talent, what he lacked was the ability to stay upright and win Championships. His inability to stay off the ground probably ended his career a few years too soon.

Herlings is arguably the most talented rider of today. He has taken the MXGP style blended it with US MX/SX styles and developed a new way to ride a dirtbike. He has train car loads of talent. Is he the most talented rider ever? Not sure.

So are today's riders more talented than riders of yesteryear. I would have to say a solid maybe......The bikes are vastly different, the tracks are different, the training is hugely different and the commitment level that is expected of riders is very different. So how do we ever really know? I think today's riders are better athletes, perhaps the skill level is far higher because there are more techniques that have been developed over the years. But talent is different than skill. Skill is learned, talent is God given, you don't learn or practice talent. You have it or you don't. James Stewart had boatloads of it, but so does Roczen, Dungey, Tomac and Herlings. DeCoster,Bailey,Lackey, Hannah, RV, RC they all had it in spades as well. Who really had the most, I guess we count the rings and see who has the most, that is a good place to start but it will never answer the question. Sure is fun to discuss though.

The Shop

drt410
11/29/2017 4:57pm
Your 4 stroke theories kind of go against your own arguments. If the bikes made everything easier for everyone that means you have to be even more talented to rise to the top. If everybody can do the quads and hit all the big jumps and scrub now to be as dominant as Dungey means that you really have something special when the pack isnt so separated. Back in the day if you could hit the quad you were going to throw faster lap times. Now if everyone hits the quad but you still blow everyone away and win all the races your even more special. Think about it its like F1 racing where everyone is so close you really have to be good to separate yourself.

Post a reply to: Riding Talent THEN vs NOW

The Latest